PDA

View Full Version : Older Joe Moorhead article

phatdog
12-09-2017, 03:59 PM
https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/09/20/joe-moorhead-penn-state-offense-fordham

RougeDawg
12-09-2017, 05:03 PM
Holy shit. Watching some of those clips has me thinking 9 wins minimum next year. Moorhead?s Offense is exactly what I have envisioned what a program like us needs. My group of friends and tailgate group have laughed at me for years by saying we need to mix in more fakes and motions to keep the defense guessing. Especially against the elite teams we face in conference each year. We will rarely have the talent to just line up and run normal plays and beat the Bamas, Georgia and Auburn this year and other similar teams. We must add wrinkles that keep the defense guessing and on their heels.

Amongst our group since Don arrives, I?ve been saying that we need to incorporate more fakes. These clips show the QB faking something else, on damn near every play and you can see defenders frozen in place because of the fake. If we had implemented Moorhead?s Offense with the 2017 team, we may have only lost to Georgia this season.

Bottom line. With what we have returning, we will be a force if these guys can buy in and learn that offense. We got a steal of a HC. Not only is he a great coach, he also appears to be an honest humble human being. We need to make this guy feel at home as much as we can and keep him for a long time.

MetEdDawg
12-09-2017, 05:29 PM
The biggest thing I see that?s gonna be a difference is the vertical passing game. We have been screaming at Dan about that for years as the reason why we can?t beat teams with good defenses. It?s too hard to sustain 4-5 drives per game that are 8+ plays and 70+ yards. You either have to have a defense that?s stupid good or the most efficient offense ever.

Moorhead?s philosophy will allow us to take the lid off the defense a little more which should open up the rest of the offense. I could see his style getting us 4-7 more points per game, mostly against the better teams that we struggle to score points against.

Todd4State
12-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Holy shit. Watching some of those clips has me thinking 9 wins minimum next year. Moorhead?s Offense is exactly what I have envisioned what a program like us needs. My group of friends and tailgate group have laughed at me for years by saying we need to mix in more fakes and motions to keep the defense guessing. Especially against the elite teams we face in conference each year. We will rarely have the talent to just line up and run normal plays and beat the Bamas, Georgia and Auburn this year and other similar teams. We must add wrinkles that keep the defense guessing and on their heels.

Amongst our group since Don arrives, I?ve been saying that we need to incorporate more fakes. These clips show the QB faking something else, on damn near every play and you can see defenders frozen in place because of the fake. If we had implemented Moorhead?s Offense with the 2017 team, we may have only lost to Georgia this season.

Bottom line. With what we have returning, we will be a force if these guys can buy in and learn that offense. We got a steal of a HC. Not only is he a great coach, he also appears to be an honest humble human being. We need to make this guy feel at home as much as we can and keep him for a long time.

This is true.

Todd4State
12-09-2017, 06:28 PM
The biggest thing I see that?s gonna be a difference is the vertical passing game. We have been screaming at Dan about that for years as the reason why we can?t beat teams with good defenses. It?s too hard to sustain 4-5 drives per game that are 8+ plays and 70+ yards. You either have to have a defense that?s stupid good or the most efficient offense ever.

Moorhead?s philosophy will allow us to take the lid off the defense a little more which should open up the rest of the offense. I could see his style getting us 4-7 more points per game, mostly against the better teams that we struggle to score points against.

Dan was so paranoid about anyone doing anything other than the QB.

Our explosive play stats were near the bottom in the SEC. Of course when you rarely attempt passes downfield it's hard to have a lot of explosive plays.

Homedawg
12-09-2017, 06:59 PM
Not arguing that we need explosive plays,but when you don't have many of any wr and don't have a qb who can complete the deep ball explosive plays are hard to come by. Just rewind to the first play of bama game. That wasn't the only shot we missed. Lots of em. First int of egg bowl was a td. I could go on and on. And I wouldn't trade fitz in, but that's not his game for 3 years.

Todd4State
12-09-2017, 08:21 PM
Not arguing that we need explosive plays,but when you don't have many of any wr and don't have a qb who can complete the deep ball explosive plays are hard to come by. Just rewind to the first play of bama game. That wasn't the only shot we missed. Lots of em. First int of egg bowl was a td. I could go on and on. And I wouldn't trade fitz in, but that's not his game for 3 years.

I don't disagree but I think some of that goes back to lack of recruiting with the receivers and maybe philosophy in terms of what was emphasized with Fitz.

BulldogDX55
12-09-2017, 08:26 PM

Fitz will never be an amazing passer, but despite the stats, his accuracy really improved from 16-17. The problem was that he didn?t have a go to receiver and the number of drops and badly run routes went up a great deal. Hopefully the mystery NFL guy we are supposedly getting for that slot cleans that up.

RougeDawg
12-09-2017, 08:51 PM
Fitz will never be an amazing passer, but despite the stats, his accuracy really improved from 16-17. The problem was that he didn?t have a go to receiver and the number of drops and badly run routes went up a great deal. Hopefully the mystery NFL guy we are supposedly getting for that slot cleans that up.

I'm fairly certain that two of our WR problems are wearing orange and blue in Florida now.

TrapGame
12-09-2017, 08:58 PM
I'm fairly certain that two of our WR problems are wearing orange and blue in Florida now.

This^^^^^^

I think people are going to see WR play go up several notches next year. Let's see how long Foley/Spurrier let the country club exist.