PDA

View Full Version : Things I Want to See Moorhead Do Better Than Don

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2017, 01:37 PM
I thought this could be an interesting discussion & I am going to try & stay away from broad answer like "recruiting better" or "play calling". Those are low hanging fruit & deteriorate the discussion.

These are not in order of preference:

Things I want improved

1. Show more willingness & aptitude to recruit areas of the country that are not dominated by a powerhouse. I know everyone wants to recruit Texas, Florida, & Georgia better, but I'm not sure that is the answer for us as those areas are heavily recruited by everyone. I think the real gem could could be us showing more willingness to recruit areas that are not dominated by in-state powerhouse. The Northeast, Eastern seaboard, Indiana, Colorado, Iowa, Minnesota, etc...

2. Show aptitude & cleverness for trick plays. We all know that MSU is typically a low 20s recruiter & the teams we have to beat to take the next step are top 10 recruiters. Due to that, MSU needs to find something extra that changes games. While Don is/was a good coach, he basically sucked in this area & I think that is one of the main culprits of his awful record against top 25 teams. My hope is that Moorhead can be as good or a better coach than Don, but also have some instincts, creativity, etc to find those 3 outside of the box plays a year that can tip the scales vs Bama, Auburn, or LSU. Don was pathetic in this department.

3. Be more aggressive in getting the ball in the hands of his best player other than the QB. I thought Dan was too stubborn with offense at times & relied on his offense to find create a successful play rather than trusting his best player other than the QB. By watching how Moorhead used Barkley, I am actually quite confident that he will achieve better results in this area. Mullen had a bad habit of throwing the ball or handing it off to some of our worst players in key situations. We've got to have more sense than that.

4. Get our most talented players on the field in impact roles quicker. Don took the "development program" too far. While I agree with the premise that MSU will have to out develop some team in our division, there is no reason why we can't use our younger, most talented players quicker while still developing them.

5. Slow the game down in big situations & understand rhythm. As with the LSU game in 2015, the Bama game in 2017, etc... Don was terrible at managing timeouts & understanding momentum within a game. It was one of his weakest attributes that he never improved on. Hopefully, Moorhead will handle the last 2 minutes of half & the game with more instincts & feel. I believe part of Don's unwillingness to use timeouts was in part because he knew that part of the game was his weakness & thus often chose to all together avoid them.

6. Lack of energy in the Egg Bowl. This has become a real issue. For about 3 of the last 4 years, we have not approached this game with energy OM has. Our lack of energy to finish the season has been bad. I can't help but wonder how much of this was always due to Mullen looking for another job.

7. Prioritize quick feet more in the recruiting process. I realize we get what we can get in recruiting, but from an evaluation standpoint, we need more burst & quicker feet on the field at most positions. Even some of the excellent QBs we have developed have heavier than desired feet.

8. Do a better job of selling the program to premodonnas without sacrificing the program values. There is a fine line here that unfortunately Don never found. Recruited lots of grinders, but many times winning programs have to find & appeal to the guy that thinks his shit don't stink & has over the top swag.

Things I want maintained

1. No drama. Mullen did a great job of running a drama free program with few serious off-field issues. Keep it up.

2. While I would like to see our recruiting expanded, we must continue to do well in MS, AL, & LA. Hudspeth's hire is critical in this department along with keeping Austin, Peterson, & Gibson.

3. Development of QBs. I like how Mullen brought them along, with the exception of deep ball passing. Due to his offense, this should be Moorhead's specialty.

HereComesTheSpiral
12-09-2017, 01:44 PM
Not tuck his wiener between his legs everytime we go down by more than a td.

bulldawg28
12-09-2017, 01:47 PM
That's a lot of wants. I hope your boss doesn't want you that much better over a candidate that was setting a new bar.

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2017, 01:49 PM
Not tuck his wiener between his legs everytime we go down by more than a td.

Agree. I think this plays into the creativity/better at trick plays argument. Dan was kind of a one trick pony. If his base offense didn't work, then it was over & he knew that.

Hopefully Moorhead shows more flexibility & creativity.

ShotgunDawg
12-09-2017, 01:49 PM
That's a lot of wants. I hope your boss doesn't want you that much better over a candidate that was setting a new bar.

I know we wont' improve in them all, but even if we just improve in 1 or 2, that has a chance to make us better.

mparkerfd20
12-09-2017, 02:09 PM
This is the first time in our history that I can remember where MSST wasn't holding our coach back, but our coach was holding us back.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-09-2017, 02:11 PM
Better Special Teams return game.....

thf24
12-09-2017, 02:31 PM
6. Lack of energy in the Egg Bowl. This has become a real issue. For about 3 of the last 4 years, we have not approached this game with energy OM has. Our lack of energy to finish the season has been bad. I can't help but wonder how much of this was always due to Mullen looking for another job.

I think the reason here lay in Mullen's tendency to tighten up and call conservatively in big stage or pressure games, which influenced the players' energy level and motivation.

Out of the Egg Bowls he won, only '13 had something big on the line (getting to a bowl). In '09, '10, '11, and '16, either we had nothing to lose (thought we had nothing to lose in '16), or OM was too awful to have a chance. In '12 we were under pressure to take care of business as the perceived superior team, and in all the other losses we stood to gain a much more significant prize by winning.

Hopefully Moorhead is much less afraid of the big stage than Mullen.

gravedigger
12-09-2017, 02:34 PM
I thought this could be an interesting discussion & I am going to try & stay away from broad answer like "recruiting better" or "play calling". Those are low hanging fruit & deteriorate the discussion.

These are not in order of preference:

Things I want improved

1. Show more willingness & aptitude to recruit areas of the country that are not dominated by a powerhouse. I know everyone wants to recruit Texas, Florida, & Georgia better, but I'm not sure that is the answer for us as those areas are heavily recruited by everyone. I think the real gem could could be us showing more willingness to recruit areas that are not dominated by in-state powerhouse. The Northeast, Eastern seaboard, Indiana, Colorado, Iowa, Minnesota, etc...

2. Show aptitude & cleverness for trick plays. We all know that MSU is typically a low 20s recruiter & the teams we have to beat to take the next step are top 10 recruiters. Due to that, MSU needs to find something extra that changes games. While Don is/was a good coach, he basically sucked in this area & I think that is one of the main culprits of his awful record against top 25 teams. My hope is that Moorhead can be as good or a better coach than Don, but also have some instincts, creativity, etc to find those 3 outside of the box plays a year that can tip the scales vs Bama, Auburn, or LSU. Don was pathetic in this department.

3. Be more aggressive in getting the ball in the hands of his best player other than the QB. I thought Dan was too stubborn with offense at times & relied on his offense to find create a successful play rather than trusting his best player other than the QB. By watching how Moorhead used Barkley, I am actually quite confident that he will achieve better results in this area. Mullen had a bad habit of throwing the ball or handing it off to some of our worst players in key situations. We've got to have more sense than that.

4. Get our most talented players on the field in impact roles quicker. Don took the "development program" too far. While I agree with the premise that MSU will have to out develop some team in our division, there is no reason why we can't use our younger, most talented players quicker while still developing them.

5. Slow the game down in big situations & understand rhythm. As with the LSU game in 2015, the Bama game in 2017, etc... Don was terrible at managing timeouts & understanding momentum within a game. It was one of his weakest attributes that he never improved on. Hopefully, Moorhead will handle the last 2 minutes of half & the game with more instincts & feel. I believe part of Don's unwillingness to use timeouts was in part because he knew that part of the game was his weakness & thus often chose to all together avoid them.

7. Prioritize quick feet more in the recruiting process. I realize we get what we can get in recruiting, but from an evaluation standpoint, we need more burst & quicker feet on the field at most positions. Even some of the excellent QBs we have developed have heavier than desired feet.

8. Do a better job of selling the program to premodonnas without sacrificing the program values. There is a fine line here that unfortunately Don never found. Recruited lots of grinders, but many times winning programs have to find & appeal to the guy that thinks his shit don't stink & has over the top swag.

Things I want maintained

1. No drama. Mullen did a great job of running a drama free program with few serious off-field issues. Keep it up.

2. While I would like to see our recruiting expanded, we must continue to do well in MS, AL, & LA. Hudspeth's hire is critical in this department along with keeping Austin, Peterson, & Gibson.

3. Development of QBs. I like how Mullen brought them along, with the exception of deep ball passing. Due to his offense, this should be Moorhead's specialty.

Point by point:

1. Many failed to understand why Mullen succeeded in spite of not being a master of recruiting. He was a master of evaluating who would thrive in his system and therefore prevent drama. He valued leadership with talent over pure talent. I think Joe will be fine in this. I think recruiting rankings of people who don?t know what he?s looking for mean exactly NOTHING. Where the kids come from matters little but winning our own state is important.

2. Correct. I think they are referred to in coaching circles as exception plays. You will see them but only mid to late game. The play has to be set up. I think he will, but it may not look like a trick play to us in the stands.

3. Dan was too stubborn and he did attempt to force a 140 lb be into holes that weren?t there, but know that even PSU fans say that Joe does things similarly to get the defense to overplay. He simply needs to be less
predictable than Dave Macklin.

4. Development was part of his recruiting. He missed a huge opportunity when Banks won the Thorpe and Slay made pros. Should have figured a way to get the word out that we can make the next. Kids playing early only works if they actually grade better in fall practice. Overall, I thin this is overrated.

5. Amen. What?s more, get a statistician who can do some analytics to advise him on it. There is a finite amount of clock 1 timeout will get a defense.. same with 2 or 3. Opposing teams and coaches tip their hands all the time. We should never be out coached in this category.

6. All games and especially the egg should have that intensity until we are ahead by 3 touchdowns.

7. Fine, but not at the expense of defensive and offensive line power. I ain?t looking to cheer for the next 7 on 7 team that loses 57-54.

8. Dingleberry Muldrow understood that was the trade off for picking leadership as a trait over talent without it. Each coach knows what he can handle and manage. I feel Joe will handle that just fine.

Just my opinion

Todd4State
12-09-2017, 02:51 PM
I agree on all points. Dan was a pretty average coach with some obvious flaws that held us back even though we were winning but many of our fans gave him a pass because of our crappy football history.

HoopsDawg
12-09-2017, 03:01 PM
be more selective on who we take as early commits. Being a little smarter over the summer will help prevent processing kids later on.

bulldawg28
12-09-2017, 03:20 PM
I agree on all points. Dan was a pretty average coach with some obvious flaws that held us back even though we were winning but many of our fans gave him a pass because of our crappy football history.

????

HereComesTheSpiral
12-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Agree. I think this plays into the creativity/better at trick plays argument. Dan was kind of a one trick pony. If his base offense didn't work, then it was over & he knew that.

Hopefully Moorhead shows more flexibility & creativity.

Don gets punched in the mouth and he’s a $6 million spectator.

Madisonmd
12-09-2017, 03:53 PM
Don gets punched in the mouth and he?s a $6 million spectator.

hopefully former players will like former coaches

WSOPdawg
12-09-2017, 04:05 PM
I've got "beat Bama" at the top of my list of Moorhead improvements (compared Dan's dismal showing) -- I mean, c'mon 0 and f'n 9 in 9 years against Bama... this is the main reason I'm glad to see him push on because I wanna see someone take us to the next level.

preachermatt83
12-09-2017, 04:07 PM
Mullen was not a great motivator.. by all indications JoMo is a wonderful motivator. That's huge.

Todd4State
12-09-2017, 04:36 PM
????

Name another school in the SEC that would have allowed their head coach to keep the country club around for nine years and come out completely unprepared in their rivalry game while looking for another job? We gave him an extension after a 6-7 season and he wasn't on the hot seat.

It's good and bad because most SEC fanbases are the opposite extreme- like Tennessee, but at the same time keeping Dan around ultimately held us back. We're not in bad shape right now by any means but if Dan had left after the 2015 season we would likely be in even better shape than we are now.