PDA

View Full Version : Coach Howland sez...

MCsMGs
12-08-2017, 03:07 PM
We need to pack the Hump tomorrow! Yeah, it's a crappy opponent that should end up a track meet for the Dawgs, but we need to send this team off for their first road game on Tuesday which is against by far the toughest opponent they have faced this year on a high note.

Let's roll!

Bully13
12-08-2017, 03:29 PM
what's the word / scoop on our next two opponents?

when's our 1st SEC home game?

I know, I'm lazy.

I just think the fans are waiting to be convinced we've got some chance to compete for a post season spot and finish .500 in the SEC. Howland has to realize how bad we've been beat up as fans and we are in Missouri mode at this point. once we are "shown" we are going to be competitive, the Hump will be packed.

MCsMGs
12-08-2017, 03:50 PM

I know, I'm lazy.

I just think the fans are waiting to be convinced we've got some chance to compete for a post season spot and finish .500 in the SEC. Howland has to realize how bad we've been beat up as fans and we are in Missouri mode at this point. once we are "shown" we are going to be competitive, the Hump will be packed.

Yes, you're lazy...***

Read any book on success and/or sports psychology and this mindset is the epitome of failure. Have you ever heard a coach of a successful program in any sport that didn't recognize the value of a strong, supportive fan base?

For the record, Howland has been encouraging Dawgs to support the team since He's been here...I was just trying to create a little excitement for the program.

BTW, why would you bother to post in this thread if you don't know the answer to your first two questions?

Bubb Rubb
12-08-2017, 04:15 PM

I know, I'm lazy.

This is what bugs me. We have an elite coach who is starting to recruit at an elite level. So we are going to show apathy in the product? If Howland leaves and/or our recruiting tanks, we will have nobody to blame but ourselves.

We have all been disappointed with the product on the court for a long time now. And trust me, I'm far from a sunshine pumper. But it's time we got behind this team and started packing the hump. Howland has been working his tail off on the recruiting trail, and we ought to be supporting the team for that, at least. Our lack of support is embarrassing.

sleepy dawg
12-08-2017, 04:18 PM
Yes, you're lazy...***

Read any book on success and/or sports psychology and this mindset is the epitome of failure. Have you ever heard a coach of a successful program in any sport that didn't recognize the value of a strong, supportive fan base?

For the record, Howland has been encouraging Dawgs to support the team since He's been here...I was just trying to create a little excitement for the program.

BTW, why would you bother to post in this thread if you don't know the answer to your first two questions?

You're right, and I'll be there.

Bully13, like many others, just try to rationalize why its okay to be a shitty fan. You can come up with as many excuses as you want, but you either support the team or you don't.

Lord McBuckethead
12-08-2017, 04:23 PM
Yep. Either you make the team a priority or you don't. Who wouldn't want to go watch a game that is free and spend the day in Starkville living it up. Come on guys. We need the Hump atmosphere to be top knotch from here on out. I will literally go to every home game and act like a crazy man for the rest of the season, especially if I could get seats close to the court. Cohen make this happen and I will not let you down. Either way, I will be at every home game from here on out, but I will be more disruptive if I could get seats closer to the court, Cohen? You there?

Bully13
12-08-2017, 04:30 PM
I hope the Hump is packed. that better? I'm just saying that we've had a shit product and Howland has yet to get us to post season. the fans have been in burnt out mode for a while and that is justified. crootin' classes don't mean shit if you don't get to post season. packed houses don't happen overnight after the fans have been through what they've been through with MSU hoops.

I'm hoping that is getting ready to change and good times are ahead.

RocketDawg
12-08-2017, 05:30 PM

I know, I'm lazy.

I don't think the Hump has ever been packed for out of conference games in December, primarily because those games are against minor opponents. If UNC or Duke was coming in, it'd be packed. Like it or not, the quality of the opponent has a lot to do with attendance, even if we're pretty sure we're going to lose (like to UNC or Duke). It's that way in all sports. Do you think for the girls game it would be packed if UConn was coming to town?

RocketDawg
12-08-2017, 05:32 PM
Yep. Either you make the team a priority or you don't. Who wouldn't want to go watch a game that is free and spend the day in Starkville living it up. Come on guys. We need the Hump atmosphere to be top knotch from here on out. I will literally go to every home game and act like a crazy man for the rest of the season, especially if I could get seats close to the court. Cohen make this happen and I will not let you down. Either way, I will be at every home game from here on out, but I will be more disruptive if I could get seats closer to the court, Cohen? You there?

No comment .... **

Dawg61
12-08-2017, 05:47 PM
Maroon tarp the entire upper half of the basketball arena till it's proven we can fill the lower half again.

msstate7
12-08-2017, 06:36 PM
Really hope attendance is great, but it is an exhibition game vs div 2 or whatever.

WSOPdawg
12-08-2017, 06:37 PM
Did we determine if this game against North Georgia is an exhibition or does it count on the won-loss ledger?

MarketingBully
12-08-2017, 06:40 PM
Did we determine if this game against North Georgia is an exhibition or does it count on the won-loss ledger?

It counts.

tcdog70
12-08-2017, 06:52 PM
Go back to Babe MCCarthy Gym, it can pack about 5 thousand and you are right on the court

shannondawg
12-08-2017, 07:00 PM
I don't think the Hump has ever been packed for out of conference games in December, primarily because those games are against minor opponents. If UNC or Duke was coming in, it'd be packed. Like it or not, the quality of the opponent has a lot to do with attendance, even if we're pretty sure we're going to lose (like to UNC or Duke). It's that way in all sports. Do you think for the girls game it would be packed if UConn was coming to town?

I wouldn't think we were going to lose against those acc pussies........not bad anyway.

shannondawg
12-08-2017, 07:06 PM
Maroon tarp the entire upper half of the basketball arena till it's proven we can fill the lower half again.

I remember Auburn did that, it was for either a new arena or a new coach.

We beat Cincinnati and the crowds will start getting back to Williams/Stansbury size.

RocketDawg
12-08-2017, 07:23 PM
Go back to Babe MCCarthy Gym, it can pack about 5 thousand and you are right on the court

I didn't go to very many games when I was in school, but that place had a great atmosphere. Pretty sure students got in free (part of the "activities fee" back then) as well as all other sports, including football if we had a rare home game.

RocketDawg
12-08-2017, 07:25 PM
I remember Auburn did that, it was for either a new arena or a new coach.

We beat Cincinnati and the crowds will start getting back to Williams/Stansbury size.

That game should be quite exciting. Too bad it's "away". We're getting some national exposure on ESPN2 so I hope we do well.

Schultzy
12-08-2017, 07:47 PM
Beat Cincinnati and we goin dancin

99jc
12-08-2017, 08:26 PM
No comment .... **

MSU than most of the dumb 17s on this board will spend in there lifetime. I have followed this team on the road and at home for 45 years and all these gung-ho fans and their condemnation can kiss my maroon and white a$$.

FanninDawg
12-08-2017, 10:08 PM
MSU than most of the dumb 17s on this board will spend in there lifetime. I have followed this team on the road and at home for 45 years and all these gung-ho fans and their condemnation can kiss my maroon and white a$$.

I’ll be there tomorrow too!

Bulldogg31
12-09-2017, 12:00 AM
They HAVE to figure out a way for all those courtside seats to be sold or given to people who will show up and use them. I've been to three games this year and had to buy tickets way up at the top because that's all that was available. Meanwhile I get there and huge sections of the lower bowl are empty. Who has those seats and why aren't they on seatgeek or stubhub or somewhere I can buy them?

I live eight hours away and I've probably been to more games than those season ticket holders.

Cohen has to do something about the seating at the Hump.

Lastly, it SUCKS that the visitor's goal is not in front of the student section in the 2nd half. How in the world did we 17 that up?

sleepy dawg
12-09-2017, 04:11 PM
So far, there’s about 20 of us here.

HoopsDawg
12-09-2017, 04:36 PM
They HAVE to figure out a way for all those courtside seats to be sold or given to people who will show up and use them. I've been to three games this year and had to buy tickets way up at the top because that's all that was available. Meanwhile I get there and huge sections of the lower bowl are empty. Who has those seats and why aren't they on seatgeek or stubhub or somewhere I can buy them?

I live eight hours away and I've probably been to more games than those season ticket holders.

Cohen has to do something about the seating at the Hump.

Lastly, it SUCKS that the visitor's goal is not in front of the student section in the 2nd half. How in the world did we 17 that up?

agree, and some of the ushers are pretty rough about letting you sit in the lower bowl.

MCsMGs
12-09-2017, 04:39 PM
So far, there’s about 20 of us here.

Plus me =25!

MSUDAWGFAN
12-09-2017, 04:42 PM
We need to pack the Hump tomorrow! Yeah, it's a crappy opponent that should end up a track meet for the Dawgs, but we need to send this team off for their first road game on Tuesday which is against by far the toughest opponent they have faced this year on a high note.

Let's roll!

I agree. I'm here right now and it's really embarrassing.

I'm coming, first and foremost because I love basketball, but I think the addition of 4 BDC points is huge, plus a tour of the Mize center, lockerrooms, and player dinner. I will get all of those.

FanninDawg
12-09-2017, 04:50 PM
I made it too!

Dawg61
12-09-2017, 05:27 PM
Nothing is more important than not upsetting people that never sit in their reserved seats ever.

FanninDawg
12-09-2017, 05:46 PM
I’m sitting in someone’s reserved seat.

sleepy dawg
12-09-2017, 05:49 PM
They let everyone move down to lower bowl. 1000-1500 folks look a lot less embarrassing now. They should do this every game until folks start showing up

msstate7
12-09-2017, 06:03 PM
I really hate X having a green light for 3s.

msstate7
12-09-2017, 06:05 PM
X is an athletic freak that thinks he is Larry bird. He needs to be told a 3-ball that is not wide open off a pass will result in bench time

Dawg61
12-09-2017, 06:08 PM
Q is having a great game

MCsMGs
12-09-2017, 06:08 PM
They let everyone move down to lower bowl. 1000-1500 folks look a lot less embarrassing now. They should do this every game until folks start showing up

They have been doing that all year.

BeardoMSU
12-09-2017, 06:15 PM
My God Schnider has awful hands. I love the guy, but it's like he has a combination of teflon and popcorn butter coating all 10 of his fingers.

msstate7
12-09-2017, 06:18 PM
My God Schnider has awful hands. I love the guy, but it's like he has a combination of teflon and popcorn butter coating all 10 of his fingers.

He was better last season. Whatever we have tried to do with him has not worked at all so far

Dawg61
12-09-2017, 06:18 PM
Herard has two left hands

Dawg61
12-09-2017, 06:22 PM
Feazell having his best game of the season

BeardoMSU
12-09-2017, 06:26 PM
Herard has two left hands

Lol. Perfect.

And they face outward...

msstate7
12-09-2017, 06:27 PM
They have played us pretty much to a draw in the 2nd half. I know we had a huge lead at the half, but this bothers me. I want to see us play 2 complete halves. This 2nd half performance has been bad. I am critical bc I expect good things from this team.

BeardoMSU
12-09-2017, 06:31 PM
I am critical bc....

FIFY****
https://media.giphy.com/media/UxZppMcej1Yru/giphy.gif

lolz

msstate7
12-09-2017, 06:34 PM
FIFY****
https://media.giphy.com/media/UxZppMcej1Yru/giphy.gif

lolz

We have had craptastic extended stretches in every game this year. Today it was about 15 mins in the 2nd half vs a div 2 school. If we have an extended stretch of garbage play Tuesday night, we lose

Dawg61
12-09-2017, 06:34 PM
I like Singleton. I've said this before. He's got 3 3's now.

msstate7
12-09-2017, 06:39 PM
Secn just showed tenn highlights from today. Barnes was all over his team about shooting 3s... said no more 3s, drive the ball. Howland needs to preach this more. We are a better team when we do not settle for 3s

Dawg61
12-09-2017, 06:39 PM
Florida up on Cinci 22-14 right now on ESPN2

Dawg61
12-09-2017, 06:42 PM
Secn just showed tenn highlights from today. Barnes was all over his team about shooting 3s... said no more 3s, drive the ball. Howland needs to preach this more. We are a better team when we do not settle for 3s

We are Villanova before they started shooting them well. Be patient. You'll love our offense once we start shooting better and we did shoot better today. 95 points.

msstate7
12-09-2017, 06:44 PM
We are Villanova before they started shooting them well. Be patient. You'll love our offense once we start shooting better and we did shoot better today. 95 points.

That was a 2-6 div 2 team. I like our team and think we can make the tourney if we play smart... I do not see Villanova

msstate7
12-09-2017, 06:46 PM
Is the OM mtsu game on tv?

BeardoMSU
12-09-2017, 06:48 PM

I agree. Their form has looked good, and most have been open; they just haven't fallen. That will change.

dawgday166
12-09-2017, 06:48 PM

Villanova?? Haven't watched any this year but ... I'm thinking them some strooonnng maroon glasses you have on.

parabrave
12-09-2017, 06:51 PM
Guess we are going to be a 3pt team this year.

Dawg61
12-09-2017, 06:54 PM
That was a 2-6 div 2 team. I like our team and think we can make the tourney if we play smart... I do not see Villanova

Villanova?? Haven't watched any this year but ... I'm thinking them some strooonnng maroon glasses you have on.

The style of offense we are playing is similar to Villanova. Obviously we are nowhere in the same league as Villanova but we are running a similar style as them on offense. Lots of guards and lots of 3's. When you're running a style of offense you name/label it after the best team running it.

msstate7
12-09-2017, 06:54 PM

Yep. We have too many guys shooting 3s. Peters, Carter, and Q should have a green light. X and lil spoon need to drive... spoon already is. Holman can shoot pretty well, but I would rather see him shoot less from the outside.

dawgday166
12-09-2017, 07:00 PM
Yep. We have too many guys shooting 3s. Peters, Carter, and Q should have a green light. X and lil spoon need to drive... spoon already is. Holman can shoot pretty well, but I would rather see him shoot less from the outside.

I have actually watched parts of 2 or 3 games. They be liking to shoot the 3 ball and there are some ugly misses. And you right about the long craptastic stretches ... at least in the 2 or 3 games I checked out. I watched most of the Dayton game .. got lucky on that one.

ETA: I figured after Dayton game I'm bad luck. When I started watching we up big ... then we almost lose it. So I ain't watching till we on a better roll.

tcdog70
12-09-2017, 07:29 PM
I like Singleton. I've said this before. He's got 3 3's now.

13 can shoot it. He has scored every time they put him in. He also got a couple of rebounds.

Ifyouonlyknew
12-09-2017, 07:33 PM

Coming into the game Nick was shooting 38% from 3. He's shot well.

msstate7
12-09-2017, 07:35 PM
Coming into the game Nick was shooting 38% from 3. He's shot well.

His driving ability is unbelievable though... I like him putting pressure on defenses more

ETA... I am surprised by that % though. Still like him attacking rim more

Dawg61
12-09-2017, 08:08 PM
13 can shoot it. He has scored every time they put him in. He also got a couple of rebounds.

Singleton and Feazell can have Herard's minutes. I'd rather go small with either of these guys in replace of Herard.

thf24
12-09-2017, 10:12 PM
Singleton and Feazell can have Herard's minutes. I'd rather go small with either of these guys in replace of Herard.

I have to agree at this point. Potential aside, the sequence today where he missed a point-blank, wide open layup, then lost the practically uncontested rebound out of bounds, is simply not something a college basketball player should do. He really shouldn't play significant minutes until he manages to improve his hands somehow.

I'd be all for seeing Singleton a little more, though I suspect the reason we don't is that he struggles on defense. That's usually the reason such a seemingly good spot up shooter doesn't play a lot.

DawgGlass
12-10-2017, 08:09 AM

Any ticket this year would've gotten you great seats. They have invited the upper deck to come down at every ball game to fill empty seats. Friend of mine and his family got to sit on the floor yesterday. Somebody just walked up to them and asked if they wanted to. They sat next to Cohen. We have 2 more home games this month.

boot
12-10-2017, 11:17 AM
Not sure why any decent player would want to play at State right now. Fan support is abysmal right now.