CJDAWG85
12-08-2017, 09:06 AM
According to twitter

runwildjerious
12-08-2017, 09:06 AM
Per Chris Low on twitter

runwildjerious
12-08-2017, 09:07 AM
As reported by my colleague @ESPNRittenberg, Bob Shoop is joining Joe Moorhead as Mississippi State's defensive coordinator. Shoop has been the DC at Tennessee the last 2 years and was previously the DC at Penn State and Vanderbilt.

FISHDAWG
12-08-2017, 09:11 AM
As reported by my colleague @ESPNRittenberg, Bob Shoop is joining Joe Moorhead as Mississippi State's defensive coordinator. Shoop has been the DC at Tennessee the last 2 years and was previously the DC at Penn State and Vanderbilt.

scale of 1 to 5 he = what ?

Lumpy Chucklelips
12-08-2017, 09:11 AM
Good deal. Now folks can start breathing again and come off the ledge. Good hire. I like it.

CadaverDawg
12-08-2017, 09:12 AM
I’m willing to be open minded, but that’s a rather lackluster hire on paper

msstate7
12-08-2017, 09:12 AM

Check out vandy and Penn State stops

msstate7
12-08-2017, 09:13 AM
Good call, really Clark

Lumpy Chucklelips
12-08-2017, 09:13 AM
I?m willing to be open minded, but that?s a rather lackluster hire on paper

Don't look at his Tenn. numbers. He was playing with the worst offense in the SEC. Nobody could have good numbers when his side of the ball was playing 75% of the game. Good hire.

runwildjerious
12-08-2017, 09:14 AM
I will have to go back and check stats but I do remember him being in high demand for the jobs he did at Vandy and Penn State. Was it him or the framework in which he was operating in Knoxville?

CadaverDawg
12-08-2017, 09:14 AM
Fair points.

msstate7
12-08-2017, 09:16 AM
So, back to 4-3...

Sweat
Simmons
Thomas/Kobe
Rivers

That could be a sick dline

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2017, 09:19 AM
Good hire.

It stinks that we’ll have to go back to a 4-3, but it’s more important to hire the best coach and that’s what we did. It’s always a mistake to lock yourself into profiles.

raymond21
12-08-2017, 09:20 AM

BrunswickDawg
So, back to 4-3...

Sweat
Simmons
Thomas/Kobe
Rivers

If so, the good thing is it is much easier to move to 4-3 then to move to 3-4.

Lumpy Chucklelips
http://www.utsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=372&path=football

Vandy finished in the top 25 the 3 seasons he was there.

TrapGame
His defenses at Vandy and Penn State were top 25 and his safeties were dynamite!

TrapGame
12-08-2017, 09:21 AM
His defenses at PSU and Vandy were top 25 and his safeties were legit!

RezDog7
12-08-2017, 09:21 AM
CJM told Fabian Lovett that he wasn’t changing the defensive front so maybe Shoop will run a 3-4

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2017, 09:22 AM
Always hire the best people and coaches. Shoop is that. Great job

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2017, 09:24 AM

FWIW, he’s an A on Dave Bartoo’s coordinator analytics.

Big4Dawg
12-08-2017, 09:24 AM
CJM told Fabian Lovett that he wasn’t changing the defensive front so maybe Shoop will run a 3-4

Great. So we are going to make our DC run something he has never ran before and no exp with? This should have no problems.

msstate7
12-08-2017, 09:27 AM
Great. So we are going to make our DC run something he has never ran before and no exp with? This should have no problems.

Pretty sure aranda ran a 4-3 first year at LSu

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2017, 09:28 AM

A 4 based on evidence

BulldogDX55

Dude went to Yale. I'm sure he can figure it out.

Either that or it was a miscommunication with Lovett.

4.5. Strong hire.

Lord McBuckethead
I am good with this hire.

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2017, 09:29 AM

This would be dumb

thf24
12-08-2017, 09:29 AM

Not sure I like that. It seems to be tough to design a 3-4 that the average college player can thrive in, as evidenced by Sirmon, and it doesn't seem prudent to ask a guy to come out of his comfort zone to do so.

Bothrops
12-08-2017, 09:31 AM
So, back to 4-3...

Sweat
Simmons
Thomas/Kobe
Rivers

That should be the most green about the gills DL we've ever had.

runwildjerious
12-08-2017, 09:32 AM
In 2011 Vanderbilt was rated 19th in total defense. In 2012 they ranked 22nd. In 2013 they were 26th. His defenses at Peen State in 2014 and 2015 ranked 2nd and 15th. Then the past two years at Tennessee they ranked 107 and 79. Of note, his defenses ranked above ours in every year except 2013 and (obviously) this year. I know stats don’t tell the entire story but it makes me feel like the past two years are more Tennessee than Shoop.

RezDog7
This would be dumb

It also could mean that at the time he told Lovett this he had somebody else in mind for DC.

Really Clark?

You think he doesn't have 3-4 alignments in his playbook? Look Grantham ran a lot of 4-3 looks. What is lost in translation is what they base their scheme on and how what they do is spun off of that. Shoop is traditionally a 4-3 over guy but it's not like he doesn't run other alignments or that he has not been mentored by multiple front guys like Don Brown. Nobody was complaining about hiring him and traditionally he is a multiple guy who Harbaugh wanted him to run more 3-4 looks but he is running a lot of 4-3 and 4-2-5 at MI. Didn't hear anybody complain about his 4 man fronts when he was mentioned as DC

Lumpy Chucklelips
12-08-2017, 09:34 AM
https://thefootballconcepts.com/2016/01/13/bob-shoop-and-the-tennessee-defense-philosophy/amp/

This explains his philosophy.

DLGDawg
12-08-2017, 09:36 AM
Fair points.

I agree. While Grantham?s final numbers were really good, way to many big plays were given up. Maybe that was just a talent thing....idk.

Couldn?t get it done when it mattered the most though imo.

I think shoops is a good hire.

dawgday166
12-08-2017, 09:36 AM
Don't look at his Tenn. numbers. He was playing with the worst offense in the SEC. Nobody could have good numbers when his side of the ball was playing 75% of the game. Good hire.

Also including all the injuries they had this year. They had a bunch of them.

dawgday166
12-08-2017, 09:38 AM
http://www.utsports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=372&path=football

Vandy finished in the top 25 the 3 seasons he was there.

And outside of last year and 2013, which of our defenses under Mullen finished in top 25?

Bully13
12-08-2017, 09:43 AM
this D.C. will be a good fit with JOMO.

Eric Nies Grind Time
12-08-2017, 09:44 AM
On paper it looks like we are getting a good coach that stepped into a very bad situation and his stock is low. Seems like a good value. If he is a good DC he should have no problem fielding a solid defense with the talent we are returning.

Sacrifice
12-08-2017, 09:45 AM
Looks like a great hire, had a top 25 defense 5 years in a row before Tenn. I like the fact that he?s also a secondary coach. Lord knows we need to tighten that up

Prediction? Pain.
12-08-2017, 09:46 AM
And outside of last year, which of our defenses under Mullen finished in top 25?

2010, 2013, and 2014.

That's per advanced stats (S&P+), not national ranks for yards per game allowed. (I think total defense is skewed a little when you run a clock-control offense like we did this year. (We were sixth in the country in time of possession this year.))

Irondawg
12-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Ties to the south which everybody has been asking for, SEC experience which everybody has been asking for and has a decent track record outside the last two years and when I watched TN at least early in games, they didn't seem to be getting manhandled.

Not sure it's a surefire homerun, but should be a pretty solid hire.

dawgday166
12-08-2017, 09:48 AM
Looks like a great hire, had a top 25 defense 5 years in a row before Tenn. I like the fact that he?s also a secondary coach. Lord knows we need to tighten that up

Seems his specialty is safeties. I thought our safety play left a lot to be desired at times this past year.

MarketingBully
12-08-2017, 09:49 AM
this D.C. will be a good fit with JOMO.

Exactly. What did Coach Moorhead say in his press conference? We are going to attack and be the aggressor in all three phases of the game. We are going to dictate what the other team does. It’s why he initially went after Don Brown at Michigan and why we hired Coach Shoop. Great hire in terms of philosophical match. I think he will do well with Coach Moorhead.

TrapGame
12-08-2017, 09:51 AM
Shoop is walking into a much better situation at State than Tennessee.

msstate7
12-08-2017, 09:58 AM
2010, 2013, and 2014.

That's per advanced stats (S&P+), not national ranks for yards per game allowed. (I think total defense is skewed a little when you run a clock-control offense like we did this year. (We were sixth in the country in time of possession this year.))

Can you give us a Shoop breakdown with advanced stats?

Cooterpoot
12-08-2017, 10:01 AM
Everybody in the country wanted him until TN. Dude can coach.

Bully13
12-08-2017, 10:06 AM
Good hire.

It stinks that we’ll have to go back to a 4-3, but it’s more important to hire the best coach and that’s what we did. It’s always a mistake to lock yourself into profiles.

is it an automatic we go to the 4-3? isn't that a decision based on personnel evaluations? are not D.C.'s capable of running both depending on what they have to deal with?

msudawglb
12-08-2017, 10:08 AM
Does anyone worry that our football coaching staff is becoming too smart? Moorhead....Penn St and Fordham. Shoop....Ivy league schools, Penn St, Vandy, and then Tennessee. Out of all those schools that Shoop coached at...which one doesn't fit as far as athlete intellect? Tennessee. And at which school did his defensive stats drop? Tennessee.

I know Algebra II like the back of my hand. I had no problem teaching it to my son because he is smart and he understood what I was trying to say. Then when my daughter took it, she didn't understand my methods and I got frustrated. I hope that our coaches can teach and coach a broad range of players.

Really Clark?
12-08-2017, 10:15 AM
What people are getting lost in the scheme debate is the fact he is a 1 gap guy just like Grantham. So your front 7 will not be changing from that scheme at all. He also prefer faster more athletic DL because of the 1 gap scheme

Coursesuper
12-08-2017, 10:22 AM
What people are getting lost in the scheme debate is the fact he is a 1 gap guy just like Grantham. So your front 7 will not be changing from that scheme at all. He also prefer faster more athletic DL because of the 1 gap scheme

Exactly its a 1 gap, cover 1 and cover 0 defense. It's multiple and aggressive. Our corners ability will dictate a lot of what we are able to do. The front seven could stand in an old 5-2 and get it done.

Jack Lambert
12-08-2017, 10:26 AM
Good hire.

It stinks that we?ll have to go back to a 4-3, but it?s more important to hire the best coach and that?s what we did. It?s always a mistake to lock yourself into profiles.

You can go from a 3-4 to a 4-3 with no sweat but doing the opposite takes work.

BrunswickDawg
12-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Does anyone worry that our football coaching staff is becoming too smart? Moorhead....Penn St and Fordham. Shoop....Ivy league schools, Penn St, Vandy, and then Tennessee. Out of all those schools that Shoop coached at...which one doesn't fit as far as athlete intellect? Tennessee. And at which school did his defensive stats drop? Tennessee.

I know Algebra II like the back of my hand. I had no problem teaching it to my son because he is smart and he understood what I was trying to say. Then when my daughter took it, she didn't understand my methods and I got frustrated. I hope that our coaches can teach and coach a broad range of players.

We are around #4 in the SEC in APR. I think we will be fine.

Bubb Rubb
12-08-2017, 10:31 AM
Not sure I like that. It seems to be tough to design a 3-4 that the average college player can thrive in, as evidenced by Sirmon, and it doesn't seem prudent to ask a guy to come out of his comfort zone to do so.

I think it's a bit premature to assume he is running a certain defense or that he has no experience with another defense. He's a professional and he has a strong reputation as a coach. I suspect he understands the nuances and intricacies of the 3-4 and 4-3 defenses much better than a bunch of message board posters. If Moorhead believes he has his guy, then I'm down with it.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-08-2017, 10:36 AM
If he brings Tommy Thigpen with him to coach LB and we get Terry Joseph as DB coach, this is a GREAT staff for recruiting!!!

msstate7
12-08-2017, 10:39 AM
If he brings Tommy Thigpen with him to coach LB and we get Terry Joseph as DB coach, this is a GREAT staff for recruiting!!!

I have no idea of those guys coaching ability and when they joined Shoop, but I would be cautious of guys that joined his staff at tenn considering the drop off in performance

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-08-2017, 10:42 AM
I have no idea of those guys coaching ability and when they joined Shoop, but I would be cautious of guys that joined his staff at tenn considering the drop off in performance

Those guys?..Thigpen is the only one at Tennessee and for some reason I can't get past this....
Thigpen was named one of the nation's top 25 recruiters in 2007 and 2009 by Rivals.com[6][7] and in 2011 by 247Sports.com,[8] ESPN[9] and Rivals.com.[10] He was awarded the 2011 Scout.com/FOXSports.com SEC Conference Recruiter of the Year.[11] In 2014, he was named Rivals.com National Recruiter of the Year for his work on the University of Tennessee class of 2014

bostondawg
12-08-2017, 10:46 AM

I actually made this comment to some friends earlier today. Hoping for the best. But I'm a bit concerned about it.

ETA: As in, I think Moorhead and Shoop both take a very academic approach to the game. Which is cool, but I hope it can fit our players' learning styles.

msstate7
12-08-2017, 10:47 AM
Those guys?..Thigpen is the only one at Tennessee and for some reason I can't get past this....

Sorry, thought Joseph was coach there too

ckDOG
12-08-2017, 10:53 AM

Have you watched Moorhead in the chalk board? He dumbs it down well. In fact, a corner stone is his coaching philosophy Is that it has to be teachable. I?m sure he carries that philosophy over into attributes possessed by people that work for him.

Seriously, watch his videos breaking down offense. I have very little experience in breaking down the x?s abd o?s and find myself completely understanding everything he walks through. It?s impressive.

CadaverDawg
12-08-2017, 11:10 AM
I’ve been digging into Shoop’s background and reading expert opinions, and in addition to what you guys have said....I’m sold. Seems like a great hire that Tennessee’s dumpster clouded. Let’s roll! Can Shoop recruit?

Also did I hear that Looney wasn’t being retained? Or is that incorrect? I hope that is not true

AlSwearengen
12-08-2017, 11:13 AM
Just looking at the surface, this has to be a very good hire. Vandy was damn good under him and PSU was good, especially considering that they went into a dumpster fire there b/c of the pedo stuff.

Tenn. was and has been a smoldering pile of shit, so you can’t really go by that one very much.

I’m pretty optimistic about this one.

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2017, 11:13 AM
I’ve been digging into Shoop’s background and reading expert opinions, and in addition to what you guys have said....I’m sold. Seems like a great hire that Tennessee’s dumpster clouded. Let’s roll! Can Shoop recruit?

Also did I hear that Looney wasn’t being retained? Or is that incorrect? I hope that is not true

Tennessee beat writer

https://i.imgur.com/Dvne28K.jpg

Coach007
12-08-2017, 11:16 AM

We will return to a 4-3 defense and I'm not a fan of vs today's offenses.

Really Clark?
12-08-2017, 11:35 AM

Can you prove than one is clearly more successful than the other? I like 3-4 better. It's better in the pro game right now. But in college for every Elite 3-4 defense you can match it with a 4-3. Then throw in the few 3-3, 4-2-5 and multiple guys and to be honest it's the guy who is a great coach who understands his scheme, can teach it, has multiple plays, calls a good game and matches all of that with his players abilities who buy in to him. Alignment doesn't mean nearly as much

FISHDAWG
12-08-2017, 11:36 AM
On paper it looks like we are getting a good coach that stepped into a very bad situation and his stock is low. Seems like a good value. If he is a good DC he should have no problem fielding a solid defense with the talent we are returning.

even Grantham was fired from UGA but we know he was pretty good ... Looking at his stats now I'm satisfied that he was in a bad place and worthy of a shot at redemption

Prediction? Pain.
12-08-2017, 11:37 AM
Tennessee beat writer

https://i.imgur.com/Dvne28K.jpg

Thanks for posting that. I'll hopefully get some takes from my co-workers and UT friends throughout the day and share those as well.

AlSwearengen
12-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Thanks for posting that. I'll hopefully get some takes from my co-workers and UT friends throughout the day and share those as well.

Reading a Pruitt thread on a UT site, I wouldn’t put much stock in anything the majority of that bunch might say.

Dawgface
12-08-2017, 11:57 AM
even Grantham was fired from UGA but we know he was pretty good ... Looking at his stats now I'm satisfied that he was in a bad place and worthy of a shot at redemption

+1. I'm in......

TrapGame
12-08-2017, 12:01 PM
Reading a Pruitt thread on a UT site, I wouldn’t put much stock in anything the majority of that bunch might say.

Yeah, I've seen UT folks saying stuff like Pruitt told us no and we begged him to take the job. Really ridiculous crap. They have to still keep that illusion that they're an elite job.

BuckyIsAB****
12-08-2017, 12:13 PM
So far what Im getting Shoop wants to run after reading a little bit, the easiest way to describe it would be Seattle defense. Cover 1 match 3 and primarily quarters (cover 4) with some pressure. Safeties have to be elite and LBs have to be able to play in space and thump inside. DL pins ears back and 1 gaps into the backfield. Pretty old school up front mixed with new school in the back

Dawg-gone-dawgs
12-08-2017, 12:20 PM
So far what Im getting Shoop wants to run after reading a little bit, the easiest way to describe it would be Seattle defense. Cover 1 match 3 and primarily quarters (cover 4) with some pressure. Safeties have to be elite and LBs have to be able to play in space and thump inside. DL pins ears back and 1 gaps into the backfield. Pretty old school up front mixed with new school in the back

It aint the BS "Hawk" tackling is it?

Commercecomet24
12-08-2017, 12:22 PM
Can you prove than one is clearly more successful than the other? I like 3-4 better. It's better in the pro game right now. But in college for every Elite 3-4 defense you can match it with a 4-3. Then throw in the few 3-3, 4-2-5 and multiple guys and to be honest it's the guy who is a great coach who understands his scheme, can teach it, has multiple plays, calls a good game and matches all of that with his players abilities who buy in to him. Alignment doesn't mean nearly as much

Yep just hire a good dc and the rest will take care of itself whatever scheme is used. If a coach can teach, coach and is a good play caller it doesn?t matter.

Lord McBuckethead
12-08-2017, 12:38 PM

Hawk Tackling. never heard of it.

BuckyIsAB****
12-08-2017, 12:48 PM

I havent seen or heard a mention of hawk tackling yet haha. Seattle does a good job with it, we didnt

sleepy dawg
12-08-2017, 01:01 PM
FWIW, he?s an A on Dave Bartoo?s coordinator analytics.

Where do you find this information? I'd like to see the rest of his ratings.

bulldawg28
12-08-2017, 03:19 PM
I love the hire! Dude is a beast!

MabenMaroon
12-08-2017, 07:16 PM
So, back to 4-3...

Sweat
Simmons
Thomas/Kobe
Rivers

don't forget Braxton, Grant

SmokeyDawg
12-08-2017, 09:44 PM
I’m sure we will be multiple and versatile, but would a 4-3 not fit out roster better? We are pretty deep on the DL. What would be our starting front 7?

M. Sweat
Simmons
Thomas
Rivers
Gay
Lewis
Green

defiantdog
12-09-2017, 09:40 AM

Clemson does pretty well in a 4-3

Sacrifice
12-09-2017, 10:18 AM
I’m sure we will be multiple and versatile, but would a 4-3 not fit out roster better? We are pretty deep on the DL. What would be our starting front 7?

M. Sweat
Simmons
Thomas
Rivers
Gay
Lewis
Green

No doubt, when you got studs like that, they can make any D look good.

msstate7
12-09-2017, 10:28 AM

M. Sweat
Simmons
Thomas
Rivers
Gay
Lewis
Green

Thompson had more tackles, tfl, and sacks than leo this season. Thompson was a freshman. I expect him to pass Leo even more to be honest unless Leo gets his act together. Love Thompson

RiverCityDawg
12-09-2017, 11:12 AM
Thompson had more tackles, tfl, and sacks than leo this season. Thompson was a freshman. I expect him to pass Leo even more to be honest unless Leo gets his act together. Love Thompson

I agree. Thompson is a classic 4-3 MLB. Very instinctual when it comes to coming up and making a play in traffic.

I think Leo is more of a WLB. He's just not great at taking on blockers and plugging the hole. He's best using his athleticism to make plays out in space, though with that said he's not great at pass coverage either. He has the physical ability, so hopefuly he develops the skill to go with it.