PDA

View Full Version : Looking at our WR corps next year

Irondawg
12-08-2017, 12:34 AM
Here's what we have coming back next year.

Outside
Couch
R. Todd
Jackson
Mitchell
D. Thomas

Slot
Mixon
Dear

Signees/RS Fr
A. Williams
Guidry
Heath
N. Nelson (or CB)
M. Mason (or S)
M. Murphy (or S)
N. Watson (or LB)
C. Gardner (or TE)

Outlook
Next year I think Todd, Guidry and Mixon are the starters with Williams and Jackson/Mitchell backing up the outside and Dear/Thomas in the slot. Todd needs to keep improving and Guidry better be the real deal if we want to make a jump here b/c otherwise we still lack playmakers on the outside.

Given our needs at S and CB I think we give Nelson a first look at CB and Murphy/Watson at S although I expect one to move to WR during camp. Judging from the Penn State tapes, our new offense requires the WR to go up and make plays in 1-1 coverage. That's something we haven't asked of this group since Bear left and for good reason judging by our low success rate when we did try it.

Watson will give given a look at WR first but a lot of schools wanted him as a LB. Couch to me has just never shown great ball skills and was also recruited by several schools as a LB. I think Gardner and Heath will RS along with Watson.

If we get Whop he's a wildcard and might be the one freshman that could push for PT.

How we use our playmakers in the slot will be interesting to watch. If Dear makes a nice recover and Mixon gets healthy that guys give us HR threats but have to do it a different way than the deep ball.

I expect some attrition and position changes here as we move to what our new coach wants out of his WR. I think after the staff watches tape and the bowl practices we'll see some pieces fall in place and some new names for the second signing period pop up. A grad transfer from somebody wanting to play in the SEC that comes from a similar system would be really beneficial. But we may see some new JUCO names as well.

preachermatt83
12-08-2017, 01:10 AM
Heath will play.

Todd4State
12-08-2017, 01:13 AM
I think Moorhead might use some of our traditional outside guys in the slot some. We'll see. Farrod Green is probably going to have a big year next year as well.

Lord McBuckethead
12-08-2017, 01:54 AM
Williams, Guildry, and Heath are all going to be studs. Play them early and often. Jackson has turned the corner and plays big. Couch needs some electricity. We need the lightbulb to come on like as of 1st practice of bowl prep. Let the athlete go make plays.

RougeDawg
12-08-2017, 02:21 AM
Heath will play.

This. I believe the "age over talent playing time" philosophy flew south for the winter on a private jet.

Cooterpoot
12-08-2017, 06:36 AM
Heath was expected to redshirt befor the coaching change. See, this it what I’m waiting to see with Moorhead. Freshmen’s play? No more 2 years to learn a blocking scheme? Will be interesting

bulldawg28
12-08-2017, 06:47 AM
The problem is you guys don't know if some of these outside guys are moved inside to create matchup problems. Most teams will move their best WR around.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-08-2017, 07:26 AM
I have a feeling Nelson may not make it to Starkville....Deddrick Thomas will probably move to slot...A lot of people are overlooking Dear, if he comes in healthy and in shape, he could be a big difference factor....in one year we go from having one of the worst WR corps to having one of the best if we get them all here.

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2017, 08:05 AM
Heath is the best physically looking WR we have recruited since maybe Moulds.

He?s athletically built like Ferrari.

There is absolutley no way on this planet he redshirts IMO so long as he can pick up the offense.

Moorhead?s offense requires WRs that can win jump balls and Heath has that capability

justwin
12-08-2017, 08:23 AM
Fitz desperately needs to improve throwing his deep ball. Needs more air on 20+ yards throw. Get better at that the. A shoe in for 10+ wins. It's the only thing that's worrisome. Left 10+ tds out there this year

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2017, 08:42 AM
Fitz desperately needs to improve throwing his deep ball. Needs more air on 20+ yards throw. Get better at that the. A shoe in for 10+ wins. It's the only thing that's worrisome. Left 10+ tds out there this year

I think Fitz will improve at it because, since it’s such a big part of Moorhead’s offense, I’m going to guess he knows how to coach it.

Lance Harbor
12-08-2017, 08:47 AM
This. I believe the "age over talent playing time" philosophy flew south for the winter on a private jet.

F*cking Snowbirds

thf24
12-08-2017, 09:05 AM

I think he'll be fine with all the extra time he's going to have to study due to graduating and rehabbing. We know he's talented enough to make those throws; when he misses them it seems to be the mental aspect, namely overthinking it, that gets him. I'm hoping too that Moorhead's offense won't be as complicated as Mullen's. I'm thinking a guy who's barely been a QB five years might immediately get a little better if he's not having to deal with 4-5 progression plays and tons of option routes every time he drops back.

Bubb Rubb
12-08-2017, 10:38 AM
Mitchell has the best hands of the bunch in my opinion, and when he gets a better grasp of blocking and route running, he is going to be really good. He was very green this year but had a couple of nice catches.

Overall, our WR corps is much better than people think. We have a good bit of size and athleticism. We are just very young.

BuckyIsAB****
12-08-2017, 01:07 PM
Devonta Jason? He'll be the best WR we have the day he gets here

ShotgunDawg
12-08-2017, 01:14 PM
Devonta Jason? He'll be the best WR we have the day he gets here

He may be better day 1, but it's going to be tough to beat Heath's ceiling.

Heath is just a different animal IMO. He's build like a top shelf WR. Whop looks more physically mature.

fishwater99
12-08-2017, 02:07 PM
What's the word on Dear? Will he be 100%. If so we need to get him the ball.

Any chance Coach Joe gets him some looks in the backfield?