PDA

View Full Version : Mullen and QB's

thf24
12-05-2017, 09:56 PM
Now that Dean has moved on, something I've been thinking about since about midway through this season... is he really as much of a QB guru as he's given credit for?

At the top you've got Alex Smith and Dak, two great successes for sure.

Then you've got Tebow, whose massive flaws that were exposed when he reached the NFL suggest that his college success may have had more to do with him being a freak athlete and workaholic and having a ton of other freak athletes around him than anything else.

Then Fitz, who has risen to be a top college QB but, again, still has glaring issues as a passer in his junior year.

Next Relf; while it's very impressive that Dick transformed him from an average H-back to a viable college QB in a run-heavy offense, it has to be kept in mind that he threw far fewer times per game than average, threw mostly off play-action, and never broke 2,000 passing yards in a season.

Russell and Williams never got much better than when they arrived, Staley never seriously challenged for the starting spot after being highly touted coming in (some say he was fourth on the depth chart when he left last year), and Tiano's performance at Chatt doesn't suggest he benefited much from his two years under Dirk. I won't hold Tyson against him; great Dawg, but he had him less than one year and Tyson really didn't have any business playing SEC football.

So, Domingo has had a number of good QB's and a few great ones, but so have a ton of other coaches. He's had about as many busts as successes. Is he really the touch-of-gold developer of QB's he's come to be known as?

Spiderman
12-05-2017, 10:02 PM
Now that Dean has moved on, something I've been thinking about since about midway through this season... is he really as much of a QB guru as he's given credit for?

Then you've got Tebow, whose massive flaws that were exposed when he reached the NFL suggest that his college success may have had more to do with him being a freak athlete and workaholic and having a ton of other freak athletes around him than anything else.

Then Fitz, who has risen to be a top college QB but, again, still has glaring issues as a passer in his junior year.

Next Relf; while it's very impressive that Dick transformed him from an average H-back to a viable college QB in a run-heavy offense, it has to be kept in mind that he threw far fewer times per game than average, threw mostly off play-action, and never broke 2,000 passing yards in a season.

Russell and Williams never got much better than when they arrived, Staley never seriously challenged for the starting spot after being highly touted coming in (some say he was fourth on the depth chart when he left last year), and Tiano's performance at Chatt doesn't suggest he benefited much from his two years under Dirk. I won't hold Tyson against him; great Dawg, but he had him less than one year and Tyson really didn't have any business playing SEC football.

So, Domingo has had a number of good QB's and a few great ones, but so have a ton of other coaches. He's had about as many busts as successes. Is he really the touch-of-gold developer of QB's he's come to be known as?

He is one of the best, if not the best QB coach in college football.

I've sat one on one with him and talked QB's for 2 hours one night. Also was in a group setting on 3 other occasions talking QB's.

He spoke at a huge HS clinic and other college coaches, who had and were scheduled to speak, all came and sat down to listen to him talk QB's. They don't do that very often so that told me a lot about the respect other college HC's have for his ability to coach QBs

Commercecomet24
12-05-2017, 10:11 PM
Don may have had his flaws but coaching and developing college qbs is not one of them. Maybe the best in the country.

smootness
12-05-2017, 10:24 PM
Yes, he is as good as he gets credit for being. Just because he isn't our coach anymore doesn't mean we have to lose all sense of reality. The guy stayed here for 9 years and did a great job for us. Why are we so quick to kill him?

Dawg61
12-05-2017, 10:32 PM
Yes, he is as good as he gets credit for being. Just because he isn't our coach anymore doesn't mean we have to lose all sense of reality. The guy stayed here for 9 years and did a great job for us. Why are we so quick to kill him?

Stansbury is gone let him go already. Oh this isn't a Stansbury thread sorry got confused.

bulldawg28
12-05-2017, 11:26 PM
He is one of the best, if not the best QB coach in college football.

I've sat one on one with him and talked QB's for 2 hours one night. Also was in a group setting on 3 other occasions talking QB's.

He spoke at a huge HS clinic and other college coaches, who had and were scheduled to speak, all came and sat down to listen to him talk QB's. They don't do that very often so that told me a lot about the respect other college HC's have for his ability to coach QBs

He's the best you've spoken with. However, He's not the best

thf24
12-05-2017, 11:34 PM
Okay okay I get it, he's wonderful because he can TALK about QB's like no other. I'm standing by my assertion that his track record, while great compared to most, isn't unheard of and doesn't put him light years beyond everyone else. And I'm not bashing him because he left, like I said this is something I've been thinking about for a while now. Hearing certain media talk like we're never going to have a good QB again because he left prompted me to finally share.

Spiderman
12-05-2017, 11:34 PM
He's the best you've spoken with. However, He's not the best

let's see, Leach, Tiller (who just recently died and was the nicest guy), Tommy (another very nice guy), Bobby and Terry Bowden , Shula, Spurrier, Mumme, Garrett, Rich Rod, Holgo, Tedford (maybe better than Mullen), Pat Sullivan, Jimbo, Sumlin, Werner, Arians and I'm sure I've missed a few.

But yeah, I'm limited on talking to QB coaches.

Spiderman
12-05-2017, 11:35 PM
Okay okay I get it, he's wonderful because he can TALK about QB's like no other. I'm standing by my assertion that his track record, while great compared to most, isn't unheard of and doesn't put him light years beyond everyone else. And I'm not bashing him because he left, like I said this is something I've been thinking about for a while now. Hearing certain media talk like we're never going to have a good QB again because he left prompted me to finally share.

Stand by whatever, but you are wrong.

Maroons
12-05-2017, 11:42 PM
Is he really the touch-of-gold developer of QB's he's come to be known as?

Yes

thf24
12-05-2017, 11:49 PM
Stand by whatever, but you are wrong.

I'm wrong that he's not the only one of his peers to have produced QB's as good as Alex Smith or Dak Prescott?

Spiderman
12-05-2017, 11:51 PM
I'm wrong that he's not the only one of his peers to have produced QB's as good as Alex Smith or Dak Prescott?

No, but you are wrong if you think he hasn't done anything special with the ones he has coached, and got more out of them, and developed them better than 99% of other CFB coaches would.

Matt3467
12-06-2017, 12:05 AM

If not for the injuries I believe Russell would've had a great last year; He was a very talented QB just didn't fit the mold of a Dan Mullen QB. He was a pure pocket passer. I think you made the case yourself though for Mullen being top tier in that no way Relf or Fitz would be starting QB at a division 1 school if not for Mullen.

fishwater99
12-06-2017, 10:19 AM
]He is one of the best, if not the best QB coach in college football.
[/B]

No, he's good with Dual threat QB's, that's it..
He can't do shit with a QB that doesn't fit his system(ie.. a Pro style QB)
See Russell, Mullen was trying to run the only offense he knows with him instead of adapting, he can'd do it..
Like trying to put a square peg in a round hole...

confucius say
12-06-2017, 10:40 AM
No, he's good with Dual threat QB's, that's it..
He can't do shit with a QB that doesn't fit his system(ie.. a Pro style QB)
See Russell, Mullen was trying to run the only offense he knows with him instead of adapting, he can'd do it..
Like trying to put a square peg in a round hole...

Don't confuse system and development.

His system requires a dual threat guy to operate at maximum level. No doubt.

He has developed numerous guys into much better passers.

fishwater99
12-06-2017, 10:48 AM
Don't confuse system and development.

His system requires a dual threat guy to operate at maximum level. No doubt.

He has developed numerous guys into much better passers.

He hasn't done anything with a pro style QB... EVER... TR was a huge talent and wasted away at MSU with Mullen..

dawgs
12-06-2017, 10:57 AM
He maximizes what he can get from pretty much any QB that can run a bit. Not every player has the physical ability to develop into a superstar or even a starter (Williams, Taino?) and other players don’t have the mental ability to develop into a starter (Staley). I’m sure if Denny had his pick of QBs to work with every year, he’d have an even much better track record, but there’s not many coaches out there that have consistently developed 2-3* QBs into quality P5 starters, heisman contenders, nfl draft picks, and nfl starters. Of course there’s misses too, but gotta look big picture.

RougeDawg
12-06-2017, 10:58 AM
His Qb development may be the only thing we miss going forward. Nothing else he did was above average and we have brought in well above average coaches thus far.

TrapGame
12-06-2017, 11:07 AM
His Qb development may be the only thing we miss going forward. Nothing else he did was above average and we have brought in well above average coaches thus far.

Yep.

Dan's the QB Whisperer but that's about it. It's going to be very interesting to see how Moorhead develops Fitz going forward. If he's passing like Tom Brady next season it might put the Mullen QB development into a slightly different light.

QuadrupleOption
12-06-2017, 11:19 AM
He hasn't done anything with a pro style QB... EVER... TR was a huge talent and wasted away at MSU with Mullen..

You mean the guy that held the school record for passing at MSU even after losing his entire Senior season to injury?

Commercecomet24
12-06-2017, 11:23 AM
Here's the thing, Don is a great developer of college QB's no doubt. However we may not miss a whole lot with Coach Moorhead, just look at what he did with Mcsorley, a 6'0" tall 3 star, who he developed into a dang good QB. I think Coach JoMo keeps our QB conga line moving right along.

Maroonthirteen
12-06-2017, 11:30 AM

Thf, I think it is a good question. I definitely had the same question myself. Especially after watching Dak and Smith go head to head in the nfl, then seeing Nick under throw a sure TD by 10 yards in the Egg bowl. Tebow 2.0 definitely crossed my mind.

BrunswickDawg
12-06-2017, 11:34 AM
You mean the guy that held the school record for passing at MSU even after losing his entire Senior season to injury?

I think his point is that Russell was never anything other than pro-style QB, and Dan refused to adapt our system to fit him. Instead, he ran him enough on the read option that he got pounded into the ground, and was injured, and wasted his senior season. If Dan adds more 2 back sets, or brings the H-back back to the O like Relf had, or involves the TE more in the passing scheme, Tyler does more and avoids injury and we aren't staring at an impossible Egg Bowl comeback to make a bowl that year.

fishwater99
12-06-2017, 12:27 PM
I think his point is that Russell was never anything other than pro-style QB, and Dan refused to adapt our system to fit him. Instead, he ran him enough on the read option that he got pounded into the ground, and was injured, and wasted his senior season. If Dan adds more 2 back sets, or brings the H-back back to the O like Relf had, or involves the TE more in the passing scheme, Tyler does more and avoids injury and we aren't staring at an impossible Egg Bowl comeback to make a bowl that year.

Exactly, that's my point.. he refused to add another back to block for TR.. Thanks

bulldawg28
12-06-2017, 12:35 PM
let's see, Leach, Tiller (who just recently died and was the nicest guy), Tommy (another very nice guy), Bobby and Terry Bowden , Shula, Spurrier, Mumme, Garrett, Rich Rod, Holgo, Tedford (maybe better than Mullen), Pat Sullivan, Jimbo, Sumlin, Werner, Arians and I'm sure I've missed a few.

But yeah, I'm limited on talking to QB coaches.

I don't care who you think is a nice guy and who you've spoken with. Do you really want to get into a dick measuring contest because your a highschool coach?
Mullen is not the best

Spiderman
12-06-2017, 02:05 PM
I don't care who you think is a nice guy and who you've spoken with. Do you really want to get into a dick measuring contest because your a highschool coach?
Mullen is not the best

no, But you said it the best one I had "spoken" to. I was just showing you that you were totally, absolutely 100% wrong.

Don't say something as fact until you know what you are talking about.

Name me another coach in college football that is a better QB coach. (Tedford might be better, as I said. Cutcliffe is in that league as well.)

I'll sit here and wait.

Especially one I haven't "Spoken" to