PDA

View Full Version : TaxGator Bowl - least motivating destination?

MagicDawg
12-03-2017, 07:57 AM
Lots of smoke around us going to JAX versus Virginia Tech. Saw a post here this morning and a couple of other projections. There is apparently some dealing happening to get it done

I get that it's "better" than Belk and Music City since it's in Florida, but 3 times in 8 years? They have to know that given our player and staff handicaps, adding destination fatigue to the mix is a recipe for even lower turnout. I was more motivated to drive 2 days from Atlanta to the Texas Bowl in Houston than to drive to Everbank Stadium again. If we're going struggle in a game with the odds against us from the get go, I'd rather do it someplace new.

I guess they forgot to call and get my signoff.

See y'all at the Landing? Maybe I'm the only guy who feels this is really the least motivating destination of all for inspiring the fan base to travel this year.

Apoplectic
12-03-2017, 08:01 AM
Agree. I would probably go to Tampa but not jville again

civildawg
12-03-2017, 08:02 AM
It would be the worst possible destination. Jacksonville sucks and we have been there twice recently

MetEdDawg
12-03-2017, 08:08 AM
Little perspective on how far we’ve come as a program. We are gonna be pissed about getting the Gator Bowl 3 tikes in 8 years.

While I agree with the sentiment, I will say this is a damn good problem to have.

MagicDawg
12-03-2017, 08:12 AM
I agree. An embarrassment of riches in perspective. I give Dan due credit for our postseason expectations nowadays.

That being said, Jacksonville is the least inspiring destination for the team and fan base given where we are and the path we've taken to get here. It seems like a dumb move.

dickiedawg
12-03-2017, 08:14 AM
My favored destination would be Nashville, just because it?s Nashville.
I was excited about potentially going to Orlando, but that?s not going to happen (and probably for the best, with a backup quarterback and ?\_(ツ)_/? for a coaching staff.

Cooterpoot
12-03-2017, 08:20 AM
Doesn’t really matter. Nobody is going regardless. We all know we’re getting killed without a coaching staff and with a backup QB.

Mjoelner34
12-03-2017, 08:34 AM
I'm hoping for Tampa but I'll be going to any of them if we go to Florida.

oildawg
12-03-2017, 08:35 AM
I'm cool with the Gator. Quality opponent, NFL stadium, Florida bowl, 2.5 hours from Mickey, tickets (secondary market) will be cheap.

It's important that we turn out to support the team.

basedog
12-03-2017, 08:56 AM
Just sometimes players step up and prove they are worthy of winning. Don't think for a minute that the players will lay down as they all will be practicing to impress a new coach. Moorhead will be involved he just want be on the sideline calling plays.

Bitching about any bowl ain't cool in my book but we would n't be Msu without the bitching I suppose. Having a few weeks of practice is a good thing, stop the madness!

Howboutdemdogs
12-03-2017, 09:02 AM
At this point and time, I really don't want to have anything to do with anything with the word Gator in it......not even Gatorade.

Jack Lambert
12-03-2017, 09:09 AM
My favored destination would be Nashville, just because it?s Nashville.
I was excited about potentially going to Orlando, but that?s not going to happen (and probably for the best, with a backup quarterback and ?\_(ツ)_/? for a coaching staff.

Orlando would be good for Knox. He could drive his U haul and drop it off on his way down.

Jack Lambert
12-03-2017, 09:09 AM
Just sometimes players step up and prove they are worthy of winning. Don't think for a minute that the players will lay down as they all will be practicing to impress a new coach. Moorhead will be involved he just want be on the sideline calling plays.

Bitching about any bowl ain't cool in my book but we would n't be Msu without the bitching I suppose. Having a few weeks of practice is a good thing, stop the madness!

I would agree with the practice but it's who's coaching those practice i have a problem with.

DogsofAnarchy
12-03-2017, 09:23 AM
Lots of smoke around us going to JAX versus Virginia Tech. Saw a post here this morning and a couple of other projections. There is apparently some dealing happening to get it done

I get that it's "better" than Belk and Music City since it's in Florida, but 3 times in 8 years? They have to know that given our player and staff handicaps, adding destination fatigue to the mix is a recipe for even lower turnout. I was more motivated to drive 2 days from Atlanta to the Texas Bowl in Houston than to drive to Everbank Stadium again. If we're going struggle in a game with the odds against us from the get go, I'd rather do it someplace new.

See y'all at the Landing? Maybe I'm the only guy who feels this is really the least motivating destination of all for inspiring the fan base to travel this year.

There are a lot of Rebels on this board spreading discontent. Are you really telling me that Mississippi State fans are complaining about a Bowl destination? I for one want to say to the Rebs on our boards, step off and for the MSU fans, shut up, buy the damn tickets and support our team!! Enough of this ***** footing around, let’s GO, we have a lot to be excited about!!

IMissJack
12-03-2017, 09:25 AM
Doesn’t really matter. Nobody is going regardless. We all know we’re getting killed without a coaching staff and with a backup QB.
I agree that most feel this way, but it would really be good for the team to see support about now.

mparkerfd20
12-03-2017, 09:43 AM
The practices are useless this year since Moorhead isn't coaching them. We start all over in the spring. I think it's a big mistake. Might as well just stay home.

West Tn Dawg
12-03-2017, 09:47 AM
The practices are useless this year since Moorhead isn't coaching them. We start all over in the spring. I think it's a big mistake. Might as well just stay home.

Couldn't be more wrong!

basedog
12-03-2017, 09:51 AM

Useless? I think not, Thompson and the younger player get a lot of fundamental work, Moorland will be involved in some capacity for practices, dude is to smart to just be laying around. Other than Knox, the other staff members will be coaching for there security.

Btw, practice hasn't even started till Monday, more of Moorhead's staff will be coming aboard probably this week.

West Tn Dawg
12-03-2017, 09:53 AM
I agree that most feel this way, but it would really be good for the team to see support about now.

I agree, and that is one reason I am hoping for Nashville or Memphis. It may not be the "best" bowl but I think we will get the most fan support at one of these two. I can probably make one of these, but not any of the others.

West Tn Dawg
12-03-2017, 09:56 AM
Useless? I think not, Thompson and the younger player get a lot of fundamental work, Moorland will be involved in some capacity for practices, dude is to smart to just be laying around. Other than Knox, the other staff members will be coaching for there security.

Btw, practice hasn't even started till Monday, more of Moorhead's staff will be coming aboard probably this week.

And anyone that thinks Knox will not try and do his best to win is totally wrong. He has nothing to gain from losing and a big resume boost if he does pull it off.

basedog
12-03-2017, 10:05 AM
And anyone that thinks Knox will not try and do his best to win is totally wrong. He has nothing to gain from losing and a big resume boost if he does pull it off.

Exactly, Knox will have lots of help prepping practice, he probably will be calling plays during the game.

For me, I can't wait to see what Thompson looks like, gotta think this game plan will be involved with his strengths. I'm sure Moorhead has discussed with Knox what he would like to see out of our offense. Having 18 starters back has to be a positive going into a bowl game.

PlattsburgDawg
12-03-2017, 10:05 AM

Texas Bowl

BrunswickDawg
12-03-2017, 10:12 AM
I?ll admit I?m biased because Jax is a 45 minute drive for me -

But, I heard no bitching in the 90s when we went to the Peach Bowl 3 times in 8 years. Maybe because we only went to 4 bowls total in those 8 years we were less spoiled. Quit bitching about the circumstances and if you can go - go to support a team that has fought their asses off to get to this game.

Dawgology
12-03-2017, 10:16 AM
The outback passed on us!!?? The boycott shall continue!!!!1!!

starkvegasdawg
12-03-2017, 10:22 AM
SDS has us in the gator against meatchicken. Haven?t we seen that movie before?

parabrave
12-03-2017, 10:23 AM
I don't think Aubbie is going to make the NY6. It's going to be AUBBIE/lsu Citrus/outback. So Car to gator and Texas. Belk Music city for us. Nut hey I thought we would win the EB also.

Spiderman
12-03-2017, 10:29 AM
Exactly, Knox will have lots of help prepping practice, he probably will be calling plays during the game.

For me, I can't wait to see what Thompson looks like, gotta think this game plan will be involved with his strengths. I'm sure Moorhead has discussed with Knox what he would like to see out of our offense. Having 18 starters back has to be a positive going into a bowl game.

Serious question, you think Knox calling plays is a good thing?

Liverpooldawg
12-03-2017, 10:33 AM

That?s just wrong. Totally wrong.

Coursesuper
12-03-2017, 11:01 AM

Um, no.

Dawgtini
12-03-2017, 11:05 AM
I agree, and that is one reason I am hoping for Nashville or Memphis. It may not be the "best" bowl but I think we will get the most fan support at one of these two. I can probably make one of these, but not any of the others.
This all day.

Cooterpoot
12-03-2017, 11:40 AM

Moorhead isn’t going to give Knox a head start on scouting his approach or thinking. We play against Knox early next year.

WSOPdawg
12-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Moorhead isn’t going to give Knox a head start on scouting his approach or thinking. We play against Knox early next year.

Exactly. While I know Moorhead's offense from Penn State can be scouted, I can agree with having the MSU-version of his offense to be as unknown as possible heading into next season. No reason at all to give Knox and other UF-bound personnel any more insight into what we may do in 2018.

Ari Gold
12-03-2017, 11:46 AM
Doesn?t really matter. Nobody is going regardless. We all know we?re getting killed without a coaching staff and with a backup QB.

We didn’t have a coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball for the last 2 games anyway .
They knew they were gone. So they basically quit on the team.
And Fitz being hurt sucks, but what a great opportunity for KT to get ALL the reps in practice, have Coach Joe observe him and He starts a game against a quality opponent

CadaverDawg
12-03-2017, 11:51 AM
I’m pumped for the bowl. You just have to change your perspective a bit. Instead of it being a celebratory “let’s see if we can beat the big boys” type of game we were hoping for with 9 wins, Nick, & a Citrus berth....we have to put ourselves back into the old school MSU mindset where we are excited to see the young guys and who’s ready to step up next season. I like the idea of getting a glimpse into 2019 with Keytaon running the show, and I’m interested to see these WR’s try to impress the new coach since there will be an all out battle for WR snaps next season.

Not to mention, we should be able to play loose and have fun, because we will not be expected to win w/o Dan or Nick. Could be a great opportunity for us to knock off a good program and gain some unexpected additional momentum headed into the offseason.

Our guys had a great year, and we were one cheap shot away from a special year....so I hate seeing that this bowl doesn’t matter and a lack of enthusiasm....these guys earned a good bowl game, and I’m pumped for them. I hope they go out and put on a damn show wherever we go. A good showing can only help with recruiting & momentum, and also with our preseason ranking and notoriety heading into next season. A lot of positives can come from this, so let’s support it with optimism. Just my two cents.

BrunswickDawg
12-03-2017, 12:05 PM
As usual, Cadaver brings the correct take. Sometimes he?s wrong - but this is spot on.

basedog
12-03-2017, 12:08 PM

Who knows, maybe Thompson calls most of the plays.

Moorhead ain't gonna change this offense for this game.

I trust Moorhead now just like I've trusted Cohen. Relax Spider, bowl games are suppose to be fun for the fans and rewarding for the players. I hope we come out with a win and I bet the players and the coaches who stand on the sideline want to win.

Bothrops
12-03-2017, 12:42 PM
Key will get some much needed time at the wheel. Hopefully we will put our skill players in the best position to win.

MagicDawg
12-03-2017, 12:58 PM
Wow. For the record, we're already planning to go and support. Hotel was booked before I posted. I was simply saying that of possible destinations, I think this is the least likely to be a draw for our fan base for a few objective reasons. I agree that it's a great problem to have - the opportunity to less enthralled about one destination than another! Especially this year. Your opinion may vary; see the question mark at the end of my thread title?

If that makes anybody pi$$y enough to think I'm a damn rebel, you and the horse you rode in on can go occupy yourselves! :)

Hopefully that clarifies my point.

Hail State.

BuckyIsAB****
12-03-2017, 01:55 PM
Bud Foster and their defense would probably make us look like shit without Fitz

Saltydog
12-03-2017, 02:31 PM
way down from where we're usually at right now.