PDA

View Full Version : How does Bama not get in?

TimberBeast
12-03-2017, 01:38 AM
Besides the biases in the playoff committee? How are they not in?

TUSK
12-03-2017, 02:05 AM
1). Bama fatigue.
2). SEC fatigue.
3). The CFP isn’t completely committed to having the “4 best teams”.

RougeDawg
12-03-2017, 02:26 AM
With their shotguns against the committee?s head? If they can get them out of
Their rack.

Lord McBuckethead
12-03-2017, 02:44 AM
Unfortunately they hurt FSUs qb in a game they would have won anyway. Removing their best win. LSU was all world, then Bama beat them. They lost to Auburn.

I mean, what's worse, OSU loss to Iowa or Bamas loss to Auburn. Wait...OSU actually won the conference game. But, OSU got in last year and they didn't even play in their conference game.

Got to go with Bama.

Dawgs87
12-03-2017, 03:05 AM
I'm going to be honest. I don't really feel like Bama is "Bama" this year, other than you know, being 11-1. Never thought I would say that with Saban as HC. They weren't very impressive in wins vs aTm, LSU, or us (granted they did win). But, I fully expected them to lose the Iron Bowl after what I saw against us and the others I mentioned.

Now, I realize this is a very subjective way to think about it, but I'm more or less just justifying my gut feeling. I think we were ranked about right pre Fitz injury, in the 14-16 range. Bama struggled to beat us, and honestly should have lost if Don didn't pull a Don and very typically shit the bed in a big game (although I was pretty happy it was at least at the end of the game this time and we did compete). I don't think it's an accident that it was the first time in the Saban era that we scored more than 20 points in a game.

UGA dominated us. I believe UGA is top 4. I also believe that Clemson would beat us convincingly and are definitely a top 4 team. Judge is out on Okie. I just haven't kept up with the Big XII at all other than seeing Baker Mayfield plant the flag at tOSU, but they are 11-1 Big XII champ with #4 SOS, so I won't argue it.

Barn dominated us as well, and even though I hate to say it, I think they are probably a top 4 team all things considered (Two wins vs #1, #1 SOS, 2 loses that will end up being to playoff teams one of which they already beat handily, etc) but managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against LSU. Obviously with 3 losses there is no way they are getting in, but in all fairness I do feel like they are a better team than Bama and most likely top 4.

All that to say, even though i don't strictly believe that Bama is one of the top 4 teams, I do think they should be in the playoff, because no one under them deserves to jump them. So, Clemson, UGA, Okie, Bama. On a side note, i think it's a joke that Wiscy was even in the conversation with #45 SOS. I don't think they should have gotten in even if they did beat tOSU tonight as a 13-0 B1G champ. I'm sure some traditionalists will take issue with that.

Leroy Jenkins
12-03-2017, 03:14 AM
I don't see how we benefit from anything that is good for bama. I dont care if they never win another game.

TUSK
12-03-2017, 03:14 AM
There are a bunch of terrific opinions in this thread.

I’d like to know if there is anyone that truly believes they’d bet against Bammer in the CFP...

Apoplectic
12-03-2017, 06:44 AM

I’d like to know if there is anyone that truly believes they’d bet against Bammer in the CFP...

Bama can't beat any of the other three teams in the cfp. No smash mouth running game, QB can't win the game, and D is soft in the middle. I'm going to be surprised if they take bama over osu although osu is a worse team. Auburn is the 4th best team but they lost their chance. In the end I'm guessing mercer will keep bama out and probably should. Wth is bama doing playing mercer?

Maroonthirteen
12-03-2017, 07:00 AM
Alabama deserves to be in. They scheduled FSU, Fresno and CSU OOC. That is a good OOC schedule. Bama couldn’t help it that FSU fell apart. Or that the SEC West was weak. Things is though, they took care of business and only lost
One game....on the road in a highly emotional rivalry game.

However Espn has been building a case for Ohio State all day and night. Espn will argue conference champion for the Big10. However I think it is telling that the committee ranked Bama 5. It will be interesting to see if Espn talks the committee into placing OHSt in that 4th spot.

Tusks, it is a pick em. I would not touch that bet.

Cooterpoot
12-03-2017, 07:43 AM
Bama lost at Jordan-Hare. That might have been the toughest place to play this season. OSU lost at home to OK and got destroyed by a mediocre Iowa team. I still think Bama gets in. Wisconsin played an easy schedule or they wouldn’t have been undefeated. Penn St. was exposed and lost again after OSU. Michigan was terrible. That 1 loss to 2 should be big, but they’re going to take the conference champion.

civildawg
12-03-2017, 08:00 AM

Clemson and Oklahoma look head and shoulders better than Bama this year. So yes i would bet against Bama this year

defiantdog
12-03-2017, 08:43 AM
The committee won?t put Alabama in based on the idea of having 2 SEC teams in the championship game again.

bulldawg28
12-03-2017, 09:40 AM
Bama is out! The end.

maroonmania
12-03-2017, 09:43 AM
I'm going to be honest. I don't really feel like Bama is "Bama" this year, other than you know, being 11-1. Never thought I would say that with Saban as HC. They weren't very impressive in wins vs aTm, LSU, or us (granted they did win). But, I fully expected them to lose the Iron Bowl after what I saw against us and the others I mentioned.

Now, I realize this is a very subjective way to think about it, but I'm more or less just justifying my gut feeling. I think we were ranked about right pre Fitz injury, in the 14-16 range. Bama struggled to beat us, and honestly should have lost if Don didn't pull a Don and very typically shit the bed in a big game (although I was pretty happy it was at least at the end of the game this time and we did compete). I don't think it's an accident that it was the first time in the Saban era that we scored more than 20 points in a game.

UGA dominated us. I believe UGA is top 4. I also believe that Clemson would beat us convincingly and are definitely a top 4 team. Judge is out on Okie. I just haven't kept up with the Big XII at all other than seeing Baker Mayfield plant the flag at tOSU, but they are 11-1 Big XII champ with #4 SOS, so I won't argue it.

Barn dominated us as well, and even though I hate to say it, I think they are probably a top 4 team all things considered (Two wins vs #1, #1 SOS, 2 loses that will end up being to playoff teams one of which they already beat handily, etc) but managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory against LSU. Obviously with 3 losses there is no way they are getting in, but in all fairness I do feel like they are a better team than Bama and most likely top 4.

All that to say, even though i don't strictly believe that Bama is one of the top 4 teams, I do think they should be in the playoff, because no one under them deserves to jump them. So, Clemson, UGA, Okie, Bama. On a side note, i think it's a joke that Wiscy was even in the conversation with #45 SOS. I don't think they should have gotten in even if they did beat tOSU tonight as a 13-0 B1G champ. I'm sure some traditionalists will take issue with that.

Plus it really helped them that the SEC refs allowed them to have a TD against us that was an obvious illegal touching penalty. SEC refs just too biased to call it properly. So I don't feel sorry one bit for Bama if they don't get in because I still don't feel they beat us legally. I mean what would the result have been in our game if we had been up 24-10 early in the 4th quarter rather than 24-17???

Bully13
12-03-2017, 10:53 AM
Bama & OSU have legit cases with the edge going to bamer. They claim it's the 4 best but we'll soon see that's not gonna always be the case. No way the SEC gets 2 while the big 10 gets left out this year. Props to big 10 refs last night too. Had that been a SEC scenario, no way they allow a conference natty get jeopardized.

dawgday166
12-03-2017, 10:59 AM

I?d like to know if there is anyone that truly believes they?d bet against Bammer in the CFP...

I would ... all 3 teams. Caveat ... Jawga. Only because Kirby is Saban protege and may get too focused on beating Saban and screw preparation up. Plus, Saban never lost to protege.

I especially would bet with early point spreads I saw last night. Bama -3, -3, and I believe -4 against Clemson, Ok, and Jawga.

ETA: If any of these teams lose to Bama this year, it's because of the "Oh Shit, we're playing Bama and Saban syndrome" by the coach. Not because Bama is better.

I'd also bet on AU against Bama again, as long as Kerryon is healthy.

chef dixon
12-03-2017, 11:28 AM

Clemson is decisively better than Alabama this year in my mind. Hurts ain't moving the ball on that defense. They are the best team in the country. Oklahoma has a very good chance to beat Alabama as well but would be an interesting first 15 minutes to see who establishes themselves. Georgia v Alabama would be a push for me, and it would also be an incredibly boring game to watch.

ckDOG
12-03-2017, 11:30 AM
Wouldn?t care if they were as good as the 72 Dolphins. 3rd place conference teams don?t belong in 4 team national playoffs. They didn?t get it done at home. Sorry, Bama.

Political Hack
12-03-2017, 11:34 AM
Bama would likely be favored over every team in the country on a neutral field, but I think the committee will go with the conference champs. If it’s debatable at all, I think the conference championship is the tie breaker for them. To me, that’s giving too much credence to the conference championships though. It’s a “double bump” because Ohio State would not be considered without that win, so the conference championship gets them into the conversation and also becomes the “tie-breaker”? That’s too big of a bump for a 2-loss team with embarrassingly bad losses.

sonofozarka
12-03-2017, 11:35 AM

This is how I see it also, this is bama's worst team since 08. They struggled with every "decent" team in a&m, state, LSU and FSU... Only good team they played beat them easily. This eye test the media is going on is based on previous years bama teams.

Ohio state is less consistent and therefore has a worse loss, but has beaten some presumably good teams

msstate7
12-03-2017, 11:37 AM
Bama would likely be favored over every team in the country on a neutral field, but I think the committee will go with the conference champs. If it’s debatable at all, I think the conference championship is the tie breaker for them. To me, that’s giving too much credence to the conference championships though. It’s a “double bump” because Ohio State would not be considered without that win, so the conference championship gets them into the conversation and also becomes the “tie-breaker”? That’s too big of a bump for a 2-loss team with embarrassingly bad losses.

If you replace Oklahoma in Ohio st schedule with any OOC win, there is not even a discussion. If Ohio State gets left out, I would not schedule any team capable of beating me if I were a playoff contender

TUSK
12-03-2017, 11:42 AM
Wouldn?t care if they were as good as the 72 Dolphins. 3rd place conference teams don?t belong in 4 team national playoffs. They didn?t get it done at home. Sorry, Bama.

Didn’t get what done “at home “?...

That’s confusing...

Bully13
12-03-2017, 11:42 AM
If you replace Oklahoma in Ohio st schedule with any OOC win, there is not even a discussion. If Ohio State gets left out, I would not schedule any team capable of beating me if I were a playoff contender

Yep. It would discourage early season Intersting OOC matchups that would be bad for the game.

chef dixon
12-03-2017, 11:45 AM
Bama would likely be favored over every team in the country on a neutral field, but I think the committee will go with the conference champs. If it?s debatable at all, I think the conference championship is the tie breaker for them. To me, that?s giving too much credence to the conference championships though. It?s a ?double bump? because Ohio State would not be considered without that win, so the conference championship gets them into the conversation and also becomes the ?tie-breaker?? That?s too big of a bump for a 2-loss team with embarrassingly bad losses.

I would be surprised if Bama was favored over Clemson on a neutral field right now.

TUSK
12-03-2017, 11:48 AM
Bama can't beat any of the other three teams in the cfp. No smash mouth running game, QB can't win the game, and D is soft in the middle. I'm going to be surprised if they take bama over osu although osu is a worse team. Auburn is the 4th best team but they lost their chance. In the end I'm guessing mercer will keep bama out and probably should. Wth is bama doing playing mercer?

There’s a whole lotta “wrong” in that post.

dawgday166
12-03-2017, 11:54 AM
There’s a whole lotta “wrong” in that post.

What's "wrong" in that post? Looks pretty accurate to me ... although Bama could beat one of these teams if one of them just doesn't show up to play that day.

You ain't got that extra dark shade of crimson glasses on today do you? ***

Ari Gold
12-03-2017, 11:58 AM
Maybe it’s my west coast bias. But if the committee goes conferecne champs why not USC.
PAC 12 better top to bottom than Big 10
USCw conference champ .
Beat Stanford twice
Loses were at ND . (Compared to at Iowa.) And @ pirateU

And if USC played OSU next weekend . Give me fighting OJ’s

dawgday166
12-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Maybe it?s my west coast bias. But if the committee goes conferecne champs why not USC.
PAC 12 better top to bottom than Big 10
USCw conference champ .
Beat Stanford twice
Loses were at ND . (Compared to at Iowa.) And @ pirateU

And if USC played OSU next weekend . Give me fighting OJ?s

I thought about that too. That blowout to ND bothers me but it's better than Iowa. Both losses were on road to top 25 teams too.

ckDOG
12-03-2017, 12:32 PM
Didn?t get what done ?at home ??...

That?s confusing...

Home = conf

parabrave
12-03-2017, 12:43 PM

Well Tusk DABO gets to beat his future employer again

TUSK
12-03-2017, 12:58 PM
What's "wrong" in that post?*

Bama can't beat any of the other three teams in the cfp.
No smash mouth running game.
QB can't win the game.
D is soft in the middle.

dawgday166
12-03-2017, 01:12 PM
Bama can't beat any of the other three teams in the cfp.
No smash mouth running game.
QB can't win the game.
D is soft in the middle.

I'll buy Bama can win. They shouldn't win against these teams but they can. Odds improve if linebackers come back.

QB can't win by himself is the way I read OP ... so I tend to agree with that.
We scored 3 rushing TDs against you with 1 4* Olineman. You're soft in middle right now for a Bama team, minus all LBs.
I agree that against good competition, you don't have a smash mouth running game. I think your backs are good, not great and this is worst Oline under Saban other than maybe '08.

Load the box, take away Ridley, and you're in trouble. It helps to have LBs that can run with Hurts, like AU has. Hurts couldn't turn the corner on them.

Getting LBs back will help you a good bit, but Dline and Secondary are below Bama's usual too.

MetEdDawg
12-03-2017, 01:19 PM
Only reason this was even partially a discussion was because of one person. Francois. If he doesn’t get hurt, FSU probably finishes the season in the Top 15-20 and Bama has that as the nice out of conference win.

Additionally, I’m shocked the fact Fitz getting hurt hasn’t been mentioned more during this. Without him getting hurt we are Top 12 right now. And a good looking win for Bama. Either way, Bama is the better team and got in like they should have.

TUSK
12-03-2017, 01:26 PM
I'll buy Bama can win. They shouldn't win against these teams but they can. Odds improve if linebackers come back.

QB can't win by himself is the way I read OP ... so I tend to agree with that.
We scored 3 rushing TDs against you with 1 4* Olineman. You're soft in middle right now for a Bama team, minus all LBs.
I agree that against good competition, you don't have a smash mouth running game. I think your backs are good, not great and this is worst Oline under Saban other than maybe '08.

Load the box, take away Ridley, and you're in trouble. It helps to have LBs that can run with Hurts, like AU has. Hurts couldn't run the corner on them.

Getting LBs back will help you a good bit, but Dline and Secondary are below Bama's usual too.

I agree that sans 5 LBs Alabama was not up to "normal" bama standards...

RE: "smash mouth" football, we may have different definitions... I think Bammer ran the the ball pretty well against the tougher competition...

TUSK
12-03-2017, 01:27 PM
Only reason this was even partially a discussion was because of one person. Francois. If he doesn’t get hurt, FSU probably finishes the season in the Top 15-20 and Bama has that as the nice out of conference win.

Additionally, I’m shocked the fact Fitz getting hurt hasn’t been mentioned more during this. Without him getting hurt we are Top 12 right now. And a good looking win for Bama. Either way, Bama is the better team and got in like they should have.

yup, great points.... also, LSU collapsing vs Troy hurt Bammer's SOS, too....

DownwardDawg
12-03-2017, 01:34 PM

This guy gets it. With Fitz healthy, Bama gets to claim a top 10-12 road win. Bama knocked FSU QB out so that hurt badly. And yes, a fluke upset by Troy against LSU is killing Bama too.
With all that said, if I were forced to bet money on Bama vs Ohio St head to head, I wouldn't blink before laying it all on Bama.

dawgday166
12-03-2017, 01:41 PM
116 against LSU
202 against MSU
208 against AU

Not bad on last 2 except ... Hurts had 40 against us and 82 against AU. I don't include QB in smash mouth rushing evaluation. A lot of QB can be scrambling. Going back to what I'm saying ... lining up and running it right down someone's throat, Bama can't do that this year as in years past.

TUSK
12-03-2017, 01:53 PM
116 against LSU
202 against MSU
208 against AU

Not bad on last 2 except ... Hurts had 40 against us and 82 against AU. I don't include QB in smash mouth rushing evaluation. A lot of QB can be scrambling. Going back to what I'm saying ... lining up and running it right down someone's throat, Bama can't do that this year as in years past.

Yep, I'd agree that Bammer is not nearly as dominant on OL as in years past...

Dawgs87
12-03-2017, 07:41 PM
This guy gets it. With Fitz healthy, Bama gets to claim a top 10-12 road win. Bama knocked FSU QB out so that hurt badly. And yes, a fluke upset by Troy against LSU is killing Bama too.
With all that said, if I were forced to bet money on Bama vs Ohio St head to head, I wouldn't blink before laying it all on Bama.

My point wasn't whether they deserved to get in or not. I clearly stated that they did. That wasn't even a question. My point was regardless of whether they can claim a top 10-12 win, regardless of whether or not Francois got hurt, that this years version of Bama is not a typical Nick Saban Bama. I personally don't expect them to win and that is a first for me. Sure they might be favored on a neutral site, but that doesn't impact my personal expectations. I've seen every Bama game this year and for the past several years and I just don't think they are as good as they have been in the past (Spoiler alert: I moved to alabama after i graduated and have lived here since). I would honestly be shocked if they win out, but i guess it's possible. Hard to bet against Saban, but if I was going to do it, I feel 100% confident doing it this year. Also, I would be in the Tua camp. I think JH has great composure and doesn't make many mistakes, but he doesn't make a big enough impact.

coachnorm
12-03-2017, 11:22 PM
I believe that there were good teams in D1 but not one great team in 2017. Saying that, I believe that it was ripe for controversy for the selection committee. I believe that Alabama saved their butts by scheduling Florida State a top four team at the time. Sooner or later the committee is going to crucify teams for soft ooc games. This will force stiffer competition which will cause a weeding out thru wins and losses in a 12 game window. Some teams have great competition in sections of their schedule but not a 12 game window. Also, I believe that it should be mandated that a final four team play 6 home 6 away schedules. If a team does not go on the road to face a hostile crowd, that team should be disqualified from the final four. Do what I suggest and the committee will be less influential.