PDA

View Full Version : Is Coaching Instability Destroying The Ability of 2nd Teir Programs to Build?

ShotgunDawg
12-02-2017, 08:03 PM
Just thinking through the era that many of today?s CFB powers built and realizing that most were during an era where coaches didn?t move around like they do now.

Woody Hayes
Bear Bryant
Bud Wilkinson/ Switzer
John Robinson
Shugg Jorden
Bobby Bowden
Joe Paterno
Bo Schambechler
Etc

Because these coaches didn?t move around as often and the NFL wasn?t as big and thus not a threat to steal coaches, was it easier to build a national championship caliber program in previous eras than it is today?

Are college football blue bloods the blue bloods because of geography and population or because they were able to keep an elite coach for 20+ years?

lefty96
12-02-2017, 08:13 PM
Simply. Yes.

DogsofAnarchy
12-02-2017, 08:39 PM
No it isn’t. Those programs have to find a way to pay more and hire people that are loyal. Dan stayed 9 years and to be honest that’s about the extent of loyalty and there are a lot of us that thought he had grown stale anyway. Let’s move forward with a BETTER recruiter and take the next step.

RocketDawg
12-02-2017, 08:45 PM
Just thinking through the era that many of today?s CFB powers built and realizing that most were during an era where coaches didn?t move around like they do now.

Woody Hayes
Bear Bryant
Bud Wilkinson/ Switzer
John Robinson
Shugg Jorden
Bobby Bowden
Joe Paterno
Bo Schambechler
Etc

Because these coaches didn?t move around as often and the NFL wasn?t as big and thus not a threat to steal coaches, was it easier to build a national championship caliber program in previous eras than it is today?

Are college football blue bloods the blue bloods because of geography and population or because they were able to keep an elite coach for 20+ years?

You left out John Vaught.

Bothrops
12-02-2017, 11:00 PM
Absolutely.

Dawgology
12-02-2017, 11:56 PM
Yes.

Todd4State
12-03-2017, 01:02 AM
I think it has to be a lot more stressful to coach nowadays than in the 70's. I think the burnout rate is pretty high. Plus with the pay if I was a college coach I could go to MSU and let's say average about 4 million a year and be set for life after a couple of years. So, why coach for 20 years and make 80-100 million when honestly 6 years and 24 million would still allow me to essentially do everything I want in life and reduce the amount of stress in my life?

The hard thing about a second tier program is you have to keep hiring a great coach and honestly odds are there is going to be a miss or two doing that.

Maroonthirteen
12-03-2017, 07:24 AM

I think it is both. Plus TV. The extensive coverage of college football has allowed the blue bloods to strengthen their brand . Therefore the gap has widened.

With the current conferences and scheduling and playoff format.... you will have the same schools dominating the sec, big10, acc big12 and pac. You’ll have some Miss States stick their head up every now and then but for the most part....the schools have evolved into what they are and will be for decades if not forever (without some major changes to CF).

Cooterpoot
12-03-2017, 07:31 AM
It didn’t hurt that you could be declared a national champion by the Perry County Daily News either. Really, these programs were built on, and maintained by the press and their conference. Say what you want they’re “taken care of”.

IMissJack
12-03-2017, 09:22 AM
No it isn’t. Those programs have to find a way to pay more and hire people that are loyal. Dan stayed 9 years and to be honest that’s about the extent of loyalty and there are a lot of us that thought he had grown stale anyway. Let’s move forward with a BETTER recruiter and take the next step.

Dan stayed 9 but I can't agree he was loyal for 9. That cost us several wins, usually at the most costly time in the scbedule.