PDA

View Full Version : Moorhead's first mistake?

HoopsDawg
12-02-2017, 03:51 PM
I don't know if it has been discussed much, but it is confirmed that Greg Knox is joining Mullen at UF. I just don't get why we are letting him coach our team in the bowl game.

msstate7
12-02-2017, 03:53 PM
It is dumb imo

Todd4State
12-02-2017, 03:54 PM
It's so Moorhead can focus on the early signing period and recruiting.

sandjunky
12-02-2017, 03:54 PM
I don't know if it has been discussed much, but it is confirmed that Greg Knox is joining Mullen at UF. I just don't get why we are letting him coach our team in the bowl game.

This has been addressed already by Cohen....nothing to do with Moorhead....Knox is not recruiting, he's been pulled off

aldawgbite
12-02-2017, 03:55 PM
That was decided before Moorhead was hired.

bostondawg
12-02-2017, 03:57 PM
I do hate that we're letting a guy coach the bowl game who is leaving for Florida. So so so dumb. But not Moorhead's fault.

Saltydog
it's just not smart.

thf24
There's no good solution in regards to the bowl game. What's important is that he's been pulled off recruiting.

thf24
12-02-2017, 03:59 PM
it's just not smart.

If he wants to recruit our commits like the rest of his new team, he's going to do it regardless of whether he's gone or still here coaching. At least he can't use our resources to do it.

Sacrifice
12-02-2017, 04:03 PM
How does this work, do we even have enough coaches to run practice, devise and Install a offensive and defensive game plan? Who?s helping Knox with all of that?

HoopsDawg
12-02-2017, 04:06 PM
It's so Moorhead can focus on the early signing period and recruiting.

I really think he can do both. If we have a terrible showing in the bowl game with Moorhead coaching, no one would hold it against him. He could start installing some of his offense and we could make the most out of these valuable 3 weeks of practice. Get Knox out of here.

TheDawgBiscuit
12-02-2017, 04:06 PM
Honestly it is meaningless. He will be interested refacing with players he has known all the time. He is a professional. Knows the offense. And is not really doing anything that is ongoing. Do you honestly think he would want to make hisself last ol bad. He is moving on. It will not hurt anything. He was here for years.

msstate7
12-02-2017, 04:09 PM
I really think he can do both. If we have a terrible showing in the bowl game with Moorhead coaching, no one would hold it against him. He could start installing some of his offense and we could make the most out of these valuable 3 weeks of practice. Get Knox out of here.

I would rather start installing the offense for key and lose than win with Knox. I want the head start learning the new offense

HoopsDawg
12-02-2017, 04:11 PM
I would rather start installing the offense for key and lose than win with Knox. I want the head start learning the new offense

100% agree. And it's not unprecedented. David Cutcliff coached the bowl for Ole Miss and beat OU. I'm sure there are more examples.

Dawgology
12-02-2017, 04:13 PM
I would rather Moorhead be out on the recruiting trail and putting his staff together rather than prepping and coaching a game that is a glorified vacation for our players. Have to look at the long game here. Besides, Knox isn’t going to throw the game. He has the chance to be the head coach here. If he ever wants to move up he needs to take this chance to show off.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2017, 04:19 PM
I would rather Moorhead be out on the recruiting trail and putting his staff together rather than prepping and coaching a game that is a glorified vacation for our players. Have to look at the long game here. Besides, Knox isn’t going to throw the game. He has the chance to be the head coach here. If he ever wants to move up he needs to take this chance to show off.

There's a recruiting Dead period from Dec. 18th until Jan. 11th.

Dawg61
12-02-2017, 04:21 PM

Ok but we won't be able to work on more than our base 15-20 plays which means we reveal what those are to everyone in the bowl game. That means they get 9 months to plan against our base plays compared to not figuring out what they are till game 1 next year.

BB30
12-02-2017, 04:23 PM

Exactly... I want Moorhead with a clean slate going into next year. I don’t want any film out there with our athletes running his system and I want him focused on locking up this recruiting class and finding the best coaches available. Take advantage of getting an early start on some other programs looking to hire assistants. There will be more than enough time to get his offense installed through spring ball and fall camp.

Knox is an alright dude and won’t botch the bowl intentionally. From the few times I have met him he seemed really genuine and an all around good guy.

fader2103
12-02-2017, 04:23 PM
For the poster who asked if we have enough coaches. Yes. We have GAs and also I?m sure Petersen and Austin are allowed to be on the field now.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2017, 04:24 PM
Ok but we won't be able to work on more than our base 15-20 plays which means we reveal what those are to everyone in the bowl game. That means they get 9 months to plan against our base plays compared to not figuring out what they are till game 1 next year.

Teams have film from Penn State. Also, Nick will be our starter next year so it will look different. Also, if he was able to install 15-20 base plays, that would be great!!

shoeless joe
12-02-2017, 04:28 PM
Not a big deal. It's not like the former staff hates our players. Knox may have an eye towards UF but he's not going to put our guys in bad spots and not try to win. Some of y'all are way overthinking this

maroonmania
12-02-2017, 04:28 PM
Why don't we let Buckley or Baker run things? At least those guys may actually be back with us. Heck, I would rather have Brett Elliott running things over Knox.

Sacrifice
12-02-2017, 04:31 PM
Im hoping Brad Is getting to work with Key. That guy has a hell of a track record developing QBs

Bothrops
12-02-2017, 04:36 PM

Our bowl game was in jeopardy when we lost Fitz. Knox isn't invested in this game. I'll hope for a miracle, but it's going to a tough deal.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2017, 04:39 PM
Our bowl game was in jeopardy when we lost Fitz. Knox isn't invested in this game. I'll hope for a miracle, but it's going to a tough deal.

I have very little interest in the game with Knox as our coach. But all of the sudden, it gets more interesting if Moorhead is out there.

Dawg61
12-02-2017, 04:41 PM
Teams have film from Penn State. Also, Nick will be our starter next year so it will look different. Also, if he was able to install 15-20 base plays, that would be great!!

Alright I have been swayed. I too would like to watch Moorhead coach. Give Knox an early Christmas present with a plane ticket to Florida. He can coach in their bowl game. Oh wait.

maroonmania
12-02-2017, 04:56 PM
Alright I have been swayed. I too would like to watch Moorhead coach. Give Knox an early Christmas present with a plane ticket to Florida. He can coach in their bowl game. Oh wait.

Moorhead was pretty adamant he would not coach our bowl game but boy it would do wonders for our bowl game attendance if he would.

Leeshouldveflanked
12-02-2017, 05:11 PM

^^^^^^^This is when Yancy does his best "work" and RebBearLandShark prime recruiting time

MarketingBully
12-02-2017, 05:27 PM

New coaches never coach the bowl game. I?ve never seen that happen before unless it was an interim who the AD then named a permanent coach. It?s also really Cohen?s call not Moorhead even though I?m sure Cohen asked him. Moorhead also took the classy move and said he didn?t earn it. I rather him evaluate our players, build a first class coaching/recruiting staff, and maintain our recruiting class.

dawgday166
12-02-2017, 05:35 PM

Make Mullins pay for his ticket.

WPDawg
12-02-2017, 05:44 PM
Trust in Cohen and the decisions being made.

Noxdog
12-02-2017, 05:45 PM

Egads! He stated plainly that this was not his bowl. He did not earn the right to coach them in this bowl. Rightly or wrongly, the man takes positions and sticks to them.

gravedigger
12-02-2017, 05:51 PM

Nope. Smart move. Fans don?t understand and that is pretty much the way it?s always been.

He sees more value in taking this approach considering the early signing period. The bowl game is window dressing compare to holding as many recruits in the class as ha can. Don doesn?t have that to worry about.

Our man is smart. Smarter than us when it comes to managing a program.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2017, 05:56 PM
Egads! He stated plainly that this was not his bowl. He did not earn the right to coach them in this bowl. Rightly or wrongly, the man takes positions and sticks to them.

I watched the whole thing. I respect his position, but I disagree with it. He may not have earned the right, but I feel that Knox lost the right when he took the job at UF. Moorhead is now our head football coach. Not after the bowl game, right now. It is now his team. Most of the coaches who may have earned the right are now gone.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2017, 05:58 PM
Nope. Smart move. Fans don?t understand and that is pretty much the way it?s always been.

He sees more value in taking this approach considering the early signing period. The bowl game is window dressing compare to holding as many recruits in the class as ha can. Don doesn?t have that to worry about.

Our man is smart. Smarter than us when it comes to managing a program.

A couple of things, just b/c that's the way it's always been doesn't make it right. As I pointed out earlier in this thread, David Cutcliffe coached OM in their bowl after being named the coach from UT. The bowl game still matters. It matters to fans, it matters to players, and it matters to the perceptions of MSU. Again, Moorhead can only talk to recruits for the next 2 weeks. Then there is a dead period. Better get used to multi-tasking.

NHDawg
12-02-2017, 06:09 PM
Moorhead's first mistake was accepting this job. Why did we even hire this Jeb Bush "Coach"? MooreHead is something you order at a strip club, not a Football coach.

Mutt the Hoople
12-02-2017, 06:15 PM
Moorhead's first mistake was accepting this job. Why did we even hire this Jeb Bush "Coach"? MooreHead is something you order at a strip club, not a Football coach.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/059/166/Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

HoopsDawg
12-02-2017, 06:24 PM

Been nice knowing you. Good luck with your future username.

Coach34
12-02-2017, 06:51 PM
I actually agree with Hoops:

He is the HC now and we simply dont have the coaching personnel to give our players the prep they need to represent our school in a bowl game. We are looking at a fiasco if we play anybody decent. We have lost our HC, OC, DC, WR, and LB coach. Half of Knox's time is spent on Florida business. We needed JoMo to get in here and grab the bull by the horns and get this team ready to play with 3 weeks of bowl practice.

Coach34
12-02-2017, 06:51 PM
Been nice knowing you. Good luck with your future username.

He gone. Either trolling or just too stupid to post

HaggardDawg
12-02-2017, 07:00 PM
I think it?s okay because if Knox?s sole focus is the bowl game, it frees up our recruiters to get after it. RB coach at Florida is not a destination job for Knox. He?s padding his resume if he?s well prepared for the bowl. He has a better chance of being prepared if he?s off the recruiting trail. That means he can?t recruit for Florida either. I think it?s a win win. The only other option would be to fire Knox and place Brett Elliott as interim.

yjnkdawg
12-02-2017, 07:52 PM
He gone. Either trolling or just too stupid to post

He was one of the new posters who came in here when the incorrect Pruitt news leaked and he said everything he could negative about Coach JoMo and praising Pruitt. I'm glad that idiot was banned.

shrimp
12-02-2017, 08:04 PM
Knox needs to be sent to Gainesville ASAP. Shit, let Rocky be the head coach for the bowl, Elliott OC, and Tbuck DC.

yjnkdawg
12-02-2017, 08:09 PM
Knox needs to be sent to Gainesville ASAP. Shit, let Rocky be the head coach for the bowl, Elliott OC, and Tbuck DC.

You mean bring Rocky in from the outside? He isn't on the staff.

Coach34
12-02-2017, 08:11 PM
I think it?s okay because if Knox?s sole focus is the bowl game,

Knox is in no way 100% focused on our bowl game. He is recruiting for Florida on his burner phone

HoopsDawg
12-02-2017, 08:11 PM

We don't owe Knox a dang thing, I just don't get this move by Cohen at all.

Bothrops
12-02-2017, 08:16 PM
We don't owe Knox a dang thing, I just don't get this move by Cohen at all.

Cohen was so focused on the big picture, he probably didn't consider this very long. I don't blame him.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2017, 08:18 PM
Cohen was so focused on the big picture, he probably didn't consider this very long. I don't blame him.

I was thinking the same thing.

Intramural All-American
12-02-2017, 08:26 PM

Bowl practices will start well before the 18th. You're basically asking our new coach to prepare a team with a new system while simultaneously trying to lock up our current recruits and getting new recruits. Recruiting is much, much more importanr than this bowl game. If there wasnt an early signing period, things may be different.

We have 100+ players on our team. You're expecting our coach to learn all these guys names, learn their skill sets, and teach them new things, while also learning our recruits names and identifying different talent. It's just not feasible.

By the way, Scott frost and his entire staff are still coaching UCFs bowl. Knox could have left, but frankly I appreciate him deciding to stay and help our guys prepare for the game.

Coach34
12-02-2017, 08:53 PM
Bowl practices will start well before the 18th. You're basically asking our new coach to prepare a team with a new system while simultaneously trying to lock up our current recruits and getting new recruits. Recruiting is much, much more importanr than this bowl game. If there wasnt an early signing period, things may be different.

We have 100+ players on our team. You're expecting our coach to learn all these guys names, learn their skill sets, and teach them new things, while also learning our recruits names and identifying different talent. It's just not feasible.

By the way, Scott frost and his entire staff are still coaching UCFs bowl. Knox could have left, but frankly I appreciate him deciding to stay and help our guys prepare for the game.

JoMo could have easily kept our same system and rolled thru the bowl game with it. Maybe added a couple of his concepts to it. Zone right and zone left are univeral these days. Much easier for a coach to learn the basics of a system as opposed to teaching players a new one in 3 weeks. Total fail by us on this

dawgs
12-02-2017, 08:58 PM
Um, it?s pretty standard practice that when the HC leaves, some random assistant from the previous regime handles the bowl game and the new coach recruits and observes. Knox knows the roster and players better than Moorhead right now anyway. And trying to install a whole new offense in 2 weeks of practice when some of the starters are seniors who won?t be here next year is pointless.

Coach34
12-02-2017, 09:04 PM
its 3 weeks of bowl practice and nobody is saying install a new offense in that time. 15 practices is plenty of time to have a decent offense ready for the bowl game.

It's also customary for the new staff to coach the new school when the previous staff is gutted.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2017, 09:19 PM
Um, it?s pretty standard practice that when the HC leaves, some random assistant from the previous regime handles the bowl game and the new coach recruits and observes. Knox knows the roster and players better than Moorhead right now anyway. And trying to install a whole new offense in 2 weeks of practice when some of the starters are seniors who won?t be here next year is pointless.

A lot of the time a team with a new staff isn't in a bowl game. See UF and UT. And then you have situation's like Frost where the new staff stays with the old team thru the bowl game. We are in a unique situation that isn't necessarily "standard". Our staff was completely gutted.

msstate7
12-02-2017, 09:21 PM
Will Moorhead and new staff members at least participate in practice?

HoopsDawg
12-02-2017, 09:21 PM

Don't get it twisted, we are doing Knox the favor, not the other way around. The Kang used to say the best part about going to a bowl was the extra practice time you get to jumpstart the next season. We are basically donating that time to our 9 year RB's coach to help his resume. As for recruiting, Moorhead has to do the best he can, but this class is going to be held together by Brad Peterson and Pat Austin.

Dallas_Dawg
12-02-2017, 09:22 PM
I?m willing to bet after Moorhead watches a practice or two, he decides to coach the bowl game.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2017, 09:23 PM
Will Moorhead and new staff members at least participate in practice?

Yes, they are going to observe and maybe help with game planning. Hope we don't give Knox any intel he can use against us next year.

Dawgtini
12-02-2017, 09:25 PM
And a if thing you all seem to be overlooking is JoeMo doesn?t want to Coach this game. He said it?s not his bowl and he plans to observe the practices and prep. I think he can learn a lot about our players, their skill set, and their ?motors? while not also doing the other bazillion things he has going on and then adding game planning and strategery to his plate.

Intramural All-American
12-02-2017, 09:28 PM
Don't get it twisted, we are doing Knox the favor, not the other way around. The Kang used to say the best part about going to a bowl was the extra practice time you get to jumpstart the next season. We are basically donating that time to our 9 year RB's coach to help his resume. As for recruiting, Moorhead has to do the best he can, but this class is going to be held together by Brad Peterson and Pat Austin.

You're pretty dumb if you think we are allowing Knox to coach to help him "pad his resume". Cohen owes him nothing and has been his boss about a year. The only reason he is coaching is for some semblance of continuity that gives us the best chance to win the game. He's the most experienced coach available that actually knows our players and personnel.

preachermatt83
12-02-2017, 09:42 PM
I want Moorhead assembling a staff and recruiting... not trying to rush and install an offense in 15 practices.

preachermatt83
12-02-2017, 09:44 PM
I?m willing to bet after Moorhead watches a practice or two, he decides to coach the bowl game.

Good grief.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2017, 09:55 PM
You're pretty dumb if you think we are allowing Knox to coach to help him "pad his resume". Cohen owes him nothing and has been his boss about a year. The only reason he is coaching is for some semblance of continuity that gives us the best chance to win the game. He's the most experienced coach available that actually knows our players and personnel.

Pretty obvious to anyone with 5th grade comprehension ability that I don't think we are trying to help Knox pad his resume. But it seems you think that Knox is doing us a favor or this is some sort of self-less act on his part. Every single coach in his situation given this opportunity would take it.

HoopsDawg
12-02-2017, 09:56 PM
And a if thing you all seem to be overlooking is JoeMo doesn?t want to Coach this game. .

Thus the title of the thread and the whole point of the thread: Moorhead's first mistake.

Intramural All-American
12-02-2017, 10:02 PM
Pretty obvious to anyone with 5th grade comprehension ability that I don't think we are trying to help Knox pad his resume. But it seems you think that Knox is doing us a favor or this is some sort of self-less act on his part. Every single coach in his situation given this opportunity would take it.

"We are basically donating that time to our 9 year RB's coach to help his resume."

maroonmania
12-02-2017, 10:39 PM
And a if thing you all seem to be overlooking is JoeMo doesn?t want to Coach this game. He said it?s not his bowl and he plans to observe the practices and prep. I think he can learn a lot about our players, their skill set, and their ?motors? while not also doing the other bazillion things he has going on and then adding game planning and strategery to his plate.

Ashame though we can't get a head start with our players learning the JOMO system utilizing the 15 bowl practices.

Bubb Rubb
12-02-2017, 11:00 PM
100% agree. And it's not unprecedented. David Cutcliff coached the bowl for Ole Miss and beat OU. I'm sure there are more examples.

When Cutcliffe did it, signing day wasn't December 20. I don't know why people are debating this because it's stupid. Moorhead needs to focus on recruiting because that is the priority right now....period. If he focused on putting in his system and coaching the bowl game and our recruiting class fell apart, y'all would be yelling about that, too.

Oh yeah....and no, he can't do both at the same time.

Coach34
12-02-2017, 11:13 PM
I want Moorhead assembling a staff and recruiting... not trying to rush and install an offense in 15 practices.

why cant he do both like every other staff in the country?

Dead period is coming in this time also

Intramural All-American
12-02-2017, 11:17 PM
why cant he do both like every other staff in the country?

Dead period is coming in this time also

Good gosh, you're smarter than that. But trolls gonna troll

Coach34
12-02-2017, 11:31 PM
We'll just disagree. Huge mistake by us right now

We have no OL or WR coach
Our QB coach is orchestrating the offense
Knox is getting his duties with Fla settled while halfass working for us
We have no DC and it will be a cluster**** for the bowl game

This recruiting class is all but settled- work to settle them down and sign them- but only a few are signing early. Looking like a complete cluster**** in the bowl game will do more to hurt recruiting than anything they can be doing to help right now. When we look bad in the bowl game- other schools will swipe in and say "see-now that Mullen is gone the program is falling apart." 18 year old kids have no idea what is going in the program- all they see is the final product. They are short-sighted and live in the moment

dawgday166
12-02-2017, 11:35 PM
We were 5-7 and almost lost to Miami of Ohio last year (what a cluster that was). Yet we had probably our 2nd or 1st best class under Mullen.

Spiderman
12-02-2017, 11:37 PM

English should have been named interim from day one. Knox being named still blows my mind.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
12-02-2017, 11:44 PM
The bowl game won’t have any affect and if it’s bad, CJM can blame it on Mullen deserting MSU and tons of missing starters. Gibson, Austin, and Looney are keeping things straight on the recruiting trail and we just hired the #4 recruiter in the nation. We’re in the best position possible to weather this transition.

LC Dawg
12-02-2017, 11:48 PM
So we?ve found on which we?ll blame Coach Moorhead?s first loss next year. Glad we got that out of the way.

Coach34
12-03-2017, 12:17 AM
The bowl game won’t have any affect and if it’s bad, CJM can blame it on Mullen deserting MSU and tons of missing starters..

18 year old kids that believed if Trump got elected he was going to send all blacks back to Africa wont see it that way when other schools point out how in dissaray State is. (yes-high school players of mine literally were told this at church by their pastor and met with me about it very concerned about their future)

thedawginme
12-03-2017, 12:34 AM

Of course. Moorhead's time, dead period or not, is travelling around the state of Mississippi schmoozing every high school and juco coach in a 3 hour radius.

dawgs
12-03-2017, 12:54 PM
We'll just disagree. Huge mistake by us right now

We have no OL or WR coach
Our QB coach is orchestrating the offense
Knox is getting his duties with Fla settled while halfass working for us
We have no DC and it will be a cluster**** for the bowl game

This recruiting class is all but settled- work to settle them down and sign them- but only a few are signing early. Looking like a complete cluster**** in the bowl game will do more to hurt recruiting than anything they can be doing to help right now. When we look bad in the bowl game- other schools will swipe in and say "see-now that Mullen is gone the program is falling apart." 18 year old kids have no idea what is going in the program- all they see is the final product. They are short-sighted and live in the moment

I feel like the bowl game will be a cluster**** regardless. I’d rather have a defense of a half gutted staff and a RB coach interim HC than our new HC looking like shit while trying to install a new offense, hire the rest of his staff, croot, etc. because would would be a much harder to defend.