PDA

View Full Version : (Bully13 Thread Hijack) 20 films you'd take to a desert island...

BeardoMSU
12-02-2017, 12:34 AM
This is just as tough a topic as the music thread (at least for me), which is why I could never stop at 3 (sorry, Bully13).....it'd be damn near impossible to make any cut off, but I'll try it at 20, so here goes for me:

(in no particular order)

Clerks.
Alien
Pulp Fiction
Blade Runner
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
Taxi Driver
Closer
Predator
The Godfather pt. 2
The Thing
Se7en
Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein
E.T. (The Extraterrestrial)
Beetlejuice
Trainspotting
Goodfellas
The Goonies
Bedknobs and Broomsticks (a Disney live-action classic!)
Jurassic Park

After great thought, these are the five that just barely didn't make the cut (but that could obviously change depending on mood):

Labyrinth
The Deer Hunter
The Breakfast Club
Ghostbusters
Heat

BeardoMSU
12-02-2017, 12:36 AM
Well shit...since I can't edit thread titles...here we are.

Prediction? Pain.
12-02-2017, 08:25 AM
Bedknobs and Broomsticks

Dude. Holy balls. I'll try to substantively reply to your question later, but I just had to chime in with immediate props for this entry. You're the only other adult with whom I've conversed that's heard of this film, let alone experienced its glory. Tally ho, Beardo!

BrunswickDawg
12-02-2017, 08:53 AM
20? You are just trying to kill people....

Rear Window
The Dirty Dozen
It?s a Wonderful Life
Shawshank Redemption
Lord of the Rings Trilogy
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Castaway
Animal House
Blues Brothers
Caddyshack
Saving Private Ryan
Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Dazed and Confused
The Breakdast Club
Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2
Silverado

Bully13
12-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Godfather 1,2
Shawshenk
Outlaw Josey Wales
Devil's advocate
Saving private Ryan
Where the buffalo roam
Pulp fiction
Lord of the rings
Several star wars movies
Wonderful life
More hobbit movies
Terminator movies

BeardoMSU
12-02-2017, 08:52 PM

Lol, not my intention. 20 was just the minimum I could cut it down to, tbh. If some people are ok with 3, so be it.

Good list, btw. I like Hitchcock represented in there, too.
I obviously made my choices based on nostalgia, rather than filling a "greatest all time" list, though I think many of mine would be on such a list.

I didn't think about condensing some franchises into a single movie, which makes sense. I'd definitely like to have all 3 original Indian Jones and Star Wars, as well as Godfather I and II. Also, tack Clerks. II onto Clerks. I

BeardoMSU
12-02-2017, 08:54 PM
Dude. Holy balls. I'll try to substantively reply to your question later, but I just had to chime in with immediate props for this entry. You're the only other adult with whom I've conversed that's heard of this film, let alone experienced its glory. Tally ho, Beardo!

I know, man, definitely one of the best children movies of all time. There is so much good stuff in that flick.

#TregunaMekoidesTrecorumSatisDee

Prediction? Pain.
12-03-2017, 01:13 AM
The Big Lebowski
The Third Man
2001: A Space Odyssey
Dr. Strangelove
A Hard Day's Night
The Longest Day
Citizen Kane
The Great Escape
The Star Wars Trilogy
To Kill A Mockingbird
12 Angry Men
Harvey
Duck Soup
Pulp Fiction
Brazil
Rear Window
Dazed and Confused
Pink Floyd Live at Pompeii

I figured I'd have trouble thinking of 20 I really liked enough for multiple repeated viewings to include in this discussion. I was way off. Others that didn't make the cut but crossed my mind while typing this list:

The Point (animated version of Nilsson's awesome early-70s album)
Paths of Glory
Rope
Glory
Clerks
Slacker
The Professional
Die Hard

Bully13
12-03-2017, 10:26 AM
I'll add a few of those Monty python movies in the mix.

parabrave
12-03-2017, 10:30 AM

Rear Window
The Dirty Dozen
It?s a Wonderful Life
Shawshank Redemption
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Castaway
Animal House
Blues Brothers
Caddyshack
Saving Private Ryan
Star Wars
Empire Strikes Back
Dazed and Confused
The Breakdast Club
Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2
Silverado

Wow good choices.

Mine
The Right Stuff.
The Longest Day
The Bridge Too Far
Tora Tora Tora
Midway
Helicopter Scene from Apocalypse Now
The Green Berets
Battleground
North by Northwest
and every other nonlisted John Wayne Movie I can Fit in

viverlibre
12-03-2017, 06:11 PM
Does Band of Brothers and Lonesome Dove count as two movies or 15?

parabrave
12-03-2017, 06:57 PM
Does Band of Brothers and Lonesome Dove count as two movies or 15?

Hmm nope but good try.

BrunswickDawg
12-03-2017, 07:36 PM
Wow good choices.

Mine
The Right Stuff.
The Longest Day
The Bridge Too Far
Tora Tora Tora
Midway
Helicopter Scene from Apocalypse Now
The Green Berets
Battleground
North by Northwest
and every other nonlisted John Wayne Movie I can Fit in

Favorite John Wayne movies are The Cowboys and The Shootist

I?m really impressed with the guys who have The Longest Day on the list - it barely missed my list. True story - my grandfather won a big poker pot the night before D-Day - just like the guy in the movie. He sent the money home. When he got back from the war, his cousin picked him up in a nice used convertible. His cousin had saved the money, invested it a little, and then bought the car for him as a homecoming surprise.

Prediction? Pain.
12-03-2017, 08:48 PM
I'll add a few of those Monty python movies in the mix.

Great call. In hindsight, I have no idea how i could leave a Monty Python movie off a list of movies meant to be watched repeatedly.

I'll gladly fudge a bit and call the Star Wars trilogy one movie if I get to add Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Prediction? Pain.
12-03-2017, 08:58 PM

I?m really impressed with the guys who have The Longest Day on the list - it barely missed my list. True story - my grandfather won a big poker pot the night before D-Day - just like the guy in the movie. He sent the money home. When he got back from the war, his cousin picked him up in a nice used convertible. His cousin had saved the money, invested it a little, and then bought the car for him as a homecoming surprise.

Great story about your grandad. Did he dig the ride?

The Longest Day has been one of my favorite movies since the day I first saw back when I was in junior high. It doesn't have the visceral effect of more recent quality war films like Saving Private Ryan, but otherwise it pretty much hits every other note that a WWII movie should hit. Great cast, well directed, visually striking, informative, action packed, doesn't ham up the Axis, allows for humor amid the chaos, and poignantly touches on both the sacrifice of troops and the tragedy of war itself. All time classic.

parabrave
12-03-2017, 09:53 PM

So you like to see John Wayne getting killed?

BrunswickDawg
12-03-2017, 10:59 PM
So you like to see John Wayne getting killed?

Lol - no, if it were about him dying I would have listed The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Another excellent film, but I consider it a Jimmy Stewart movie and not a John Wayne film.

parabrave
12-03-2017, 11:40 PM
Lol - no, if it were about him dying I would have listed The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance. Another excellent film, but I consider it a Jimmy Stewart movie and not a John Wayne film.

He died of old age in Liberty. Lee Marvin was killed n that one. He (Wayne) was killed also in Sands of Iwo Jima, the Alamo another one I can't remember/ A film of his with Lee Marvin called Donovans Reef is great. Add The big Red One and Bullitt to my list.

BeardoMSU
12-04-2017, 11:54 AM
Great call. In hindsight, I have no idea how i could leave a Monty Python movie off a list of movies meant to be watched repeatedly.

I'll gladly fudge a bit and call the Star Wars trilogy one movie if I get to add Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Holy Grail, Meaning of Life, and Life of Brian are all repeat viewing candidates, lol.

BrunswickDawg
12-04-2017, 12:22 PM
He died of old age in Liberty. Lee Marvin was killed n that one. He (Wayne) was killed also in Sands of Iwo Jima, the Alamo another one I can't remember/ A film of his with Lee Marvin called Donovans Reef is great. Add The big Red One and Bullitt to my list.

I was raised on Lee Marvin. He is so revered by my Dad, he believes he isn?t dead and is living on the island of missing legends with Elvis. Great actor.

parabrave
12-04-2017, 01:48 PM
I was raised on Lee Marvin. He is so revered by my Dad, he believes he isn?t dead and is living on the island of missing legends with Elvis. Great actor.

He played a mean (funny) drunk. He is buried at Arlington, been to his grave just a simple military headstone. Other parts that I can remember, The Caine Mutiny, Bad day at Black Rock, the Delta Force, Death Hunt.

BrunswickDawg
12-04-2017, 02:13 PM
He played a mean (funny) drunk. He is buried at Arlington, been to his grave just a simple military headstone.

Paint Your Wagon! He could also be just mean - like in "The Wild One" with Brando. When I went to Arlington last December I took a picture of his headstone and sent it to my Dad. He replied "Fake News".

parabrave
12-04-2017, 02:21 PM
He was a marine but missed Iwo Jima due to an injury on Saipan I think/

Bully13
12-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Holy Shit. has no one mentioned Forest Gump?

Tbonewannabe
12-05-2017, 02:45 PM
Holy Grail, Meaning of Life, and Life of Brian are all repeat viewing candidates, lol.

I love these movies but Holy Grail is one of my favorites.

Tbonewannabe
12-05-2017, 03:00 PM
Blazing Saddles - funniest movie ever

Guardians of the Galaxy
The Matrix - the first is easily the best
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Star Wars Original Trilogy
Last of the Mohicans - Daniel Day Lewis is awesome
Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back
Saving Private Ryan
Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2

Edge of Tomorrow - Live Die Repeat

parabrave
12-05-2017, 03:14 PM

Guardians of the Galaxy
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Saving Private Ryan
Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2

Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein and Blues Brothers and Animal House are automatically included

BeardoMSU
12-05-2017, 03:48 PM

Guardians of the Galaxy
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Saving Private Ryan
Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2

I love the Matrix. For a time, it was up there with one of my favorite all time films. I considered adding it to my list, but the damn sequels have sorta stained the original in my mind. I still love it, obviously, but those two sequels are just bad and drag down the lore a bit now. The Wachowski's haven't recovered since....though I did like aspects of Cloud Atlas.

It's funny, when Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions came out, I was so obsessed with The Matrix, I tried to convince myself that they weren't actually bad movies, but just misunderstood because they were so ambitious, lol...totally deluding myself. I guess it was a similar phenomenon with people telling themselves the Star Wars prequels are good films, lol.

BeardoMSU
12-05-2017, 03:53 PM

Guardians of the Galaxy
The Dark Knight Trilogy
Saving Private Ryan
Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2

Last of the Mohicans just missed my cut. That movie is so great. DDL was obviously amazing, but don't discount Wes Studi's role.

I listen to the musical score all the time. Michael Mann is one of my favorite directors (at least his films during the 90's), so I came down to choosing Heat or Mohicans...I chose Heat, but it was tough....and like I said before, my film choices are entirely based on nostalgia and memories, so my list a year from now (or tomorrow, lol) would likely look different than it does now.

Bully13
12-05-2017, 04:01 PM
Yep, gotta add Blazing Saddles to my list as well. cutting edge comedy. broke new ground just like Animal House.

Nobody ever seen "Where the Buffalo Roam"?

Tbonewannabe
12-06-2017, 10:00 AM
I love the Matrix. For a time, it was up there with one of my favorite all time films. I considered adding it to my list, but the damn sequels have sorta stained the original in my mind. I still love it, obviously, but those two sequels are just bad and drag down the lore a bit now. The Wachowski's haven't recovered since....though I did like aspects of Cloud Atlas.

It's funny, when Matrix Reloaded and Revolutions came out, I was so obsessed with The Matrix, I tried to convince myself that they weren't actually bad movies, but just misunderstood because they were so ambitious, lol...totally deluding myself. I guess it was a similar phenomenon with people telling themselves the Star Wars prequels are good films, lol.

Cloud Atlas was an ok 1 1/2 hour movie stuck in 3 hours of cinema. That movie just dragged on so long. I watched it but it was more out of interest on how they used the characters and showed development over time. It was an interesting premise. I was the same about The Matrix. My sister actually bought me the box set of all the movies plus the separate disks of extras along with the anime' movie. I still have it but I haven't watched it in quite a while. I will watch The Matrix about any time it comes on TV but in the sequels the CGI just about ruins it for me along with the let down of the ending. I am not a writer but the first had a lot of promise. They just didn't know where to really go with it.

I haven't seen Sense8 or whatever it is on Netflix. I think I will give it a try after I get caught up on the Marvel series.

Bully13
12-10-2017, 11:44 AM
Did anybody mention a few good men?

BeardoMSU
12-10-2017, 04:33 PM
Did anybody mention a few good men?

No, but a great film.

BeardoMSU
12-10-2017, 04:40 PM
but in the sequels the CGI just about ruins it for me along with the let down of the ending.

Couldn't agree more. Their recent bomb of cinematic hubris, "Jupiter Ascending", was more of the same, with even shittier story telling.

Speaking of the Wachowski's, their first film, "Bound" (1996, starring Jennifer Tilly, Gina Gershon, and Joe Pantoliano, a great character actor, who later played Cypher in Matrix [not to mention The Goonies, Memento, and The Sopranos]), is a really underrated neo-noir crime/mob flick.

viverlibre
12-11-2017, 08:05 PM
Hart's War, Spy Games, Geronimo (early 90s version).

BeardoMSU
12-11-2017, 08:58 PM
Geronimo (early 90s version).

Wes Studi, not surprisingly, was great in that film.