PDA

View Full Version : Moving Forward

BrunswickDawg
12-01-2017, 04:10 PM
I've been trying to digest the Om stuff, the implications, is it enough, etc. etc. etc.

And I have hit on one thing. Ole Miss is going to be Ole Miss. We are going to be Mississippi State. We are different cultures -and have different approaches to life, morals, the truth, education, the way we raise our children, everything. For all the short cuts, pay for play, and antics over the past few years they still never got ahead of us overall - try as they did.

Ole Miss, their flash, their cash, and their women are going to attract certain players. Those players, no matter how much talent they have, have a mindset. That mindset does not match Mississippi State. Simple as that.

I'm ok with that. However, that means we have to have a staff that can recruit and lock down the top talent that does have our mindset and sees the benefit of what we do. It means you have to recruit as hard as you practice and not just expect hard work to elevate players over talented players. Dan and the CC did not get that. They were terrific developers, and shit recruiters. You can find diamonds in the rough, but ultimately those diamonds are still diamonds. They still have talent, it just happened to be hidden. Moorhead is already showing a commitment to ending that approach. They will not be afraid to go head to head with other schools for talent that we think will thrive at MSU. You can overcome cash and flash with strong recruiters who develop players for the next level. Hopefully, we get that with our new staff.

As for Ole Miss - the penalties are what they are. To an extent, I understand it. With the investigation taking so long, most of the players involved are gone. Most of the coaches are finally gone. The publicity and uncertainty has crashed the past recruiting class and the next one, and they have 3 more with reduced schollys. While we might have liked higher numbers and more devastation, if this neuters the Network for a while then I'm ok with that too. Keep in mind that what Ole Miss got was far worse than what we got after the Jackie investigation - and that neutered our football program for 7 years. They will lose for the next 6-7 years, and lose ugly. They will feel quite a bit of pain in the checkbook - which will impact them over the entire athletic department and truthfully all over campus. They will be toxic for hiring good coaches. They will be toxic for kids with smart parents who are thinking about the future and not the now. They have proven that the only way they can win is to cheat big. Importantly, no one will trust a thing Ole Miss says for a long time (which we are seeing with the whole "Look at Leo" BS). They have shown their true colors and that will hurt them for some time to come. Maybe not as much as some would like - but they will be hurt.

The big question is - "Can we take advantage of this?" Unlike the 1980s or 1990s the answer is yes. Mark Keenum, John Cohen, and Joe Moorhead, and frankly the whole MSU fanbase is prepared like we never have been before. We have money. We have facilities. We have leadership. For one of the few times, I think the MSU family has been galvanized and is all on the same page. We are ready. We see what is ahead of us, and we all want that next step. We are the largest, most diverse university in Mississippi, with incredible academics. We are entering an age of uncertainty for our rival with a Top 10 Program in Baseball, Football, Women's Basketball, Tennis, Track and Field, Women's Golf, and I think within the next 2 years Men's Basketball. All of our other sports are competing at their highest levels ever. We are knocking on the door of National Championships in multiple sports. Ole Miss has none of this. NONE. Ignore them. Let them blow up their own programs - which they do like clockwork - while we continue to strive and achieve true excellence as a university and as a community.

Continue to strive for success THE Mississippi State way, and give no ****s about what happens to Ole Miss.

Hail State

archdawg
12-01-2017, 04:14 PM
Well said and I agree. Rep given.

Commercecomet24
12-01-2017, 04:18 PM
Well said. They are who they?ve ajways been. I?m excited about the future with the talent we have, Coach JoMo and what he brings. Our athletic department is in great shape in all sports and we are in a great era of State athletics. Enjoy the ride!

Lord McBuckethead
12-01-2017, 04:26 PM
Bump.

Liverpooldawg
12-01-2017, 05:11 PM
I've been trying to digest the Om stuff, the implications, is it enough, etc. etc. etc.

And I have hit on one thing. Ole Miss is going to be Ole Miss. We are going to be Mississippi State. We are different cultures -and have different approaches to life, morals, the truth, education, the way we raise our children, everything. For all the short cuts, pay for play, and antics over the past few years they still never got ahead of us overall - try as they did.

Ole Miss, their flash, their cash, and their women are going to attract certain players. Those players, no matter how much talent they have, have a mindset. That mindset does not match Mississippi State. Simple as that.

I'm ok with that. However, that means we have to have a staff that can recruit and lock down the top talent that does have our mindset and sees the benefit of what we do. It means you have to recruit as hard as you practice and not just expect hard work to elevate players over talented players. Dan and the CC did not get that. They were terrific developers, and shit recruiters. You can find diamonds in the rough, but ultimately those diamonds are still diamonds. They still have talent, it just happened to be hidden. Moorhead is already showing a commitment to ending that approach. They will not be afraid to go head to head with other schools for talent that we think will thrive at MSU. You can overcome cash and flash with strong recruiters who develop players for the next level. Hopefully, we get that with our new staff.

As for Ole Miss - the penalties are what they are. To an extent, I understand it. With the investigation taking so long, most of the players involved are gone. Most of the coaches are finally gone. The publicity and uncertainty has crashed the past recruiting class and the next one, and they have 3 more with reduced schollys. While we might have liked higher numbers and more devastation, if this neuters the Network for a while then I'm ok with that too. Keep in mind that what Ole Miss got was far worse than what we got after the Jackie investigation - and that neutered our football program for 7 years. They will lose for the next 6-7 years, and lose ugly. They will feel quite a bit of pain in the checkbook - which will impact them over the entire athletic department and truthfully all over campus. They will be toxic for hiring good coaches. They will be toxic for kids with smart parents who are thinking about the future and not the now. They have proven that the only way they can win is to cheat big. Importantly, no one will trust a thing Ole Miss says for a long time (which we are seeing with the whole "Look at Leo" BS). They have shown their true colors and that will hurt them for some time to come. Maybe not as much as some would like - but they will be hurt.

The big question is - "Can we take advantage of this?" Unlike the 1980s or 1990s the answer is yes. Mark Keenum, John Cohen, and Joe Moorhead, and frankly the whole MSU fanbase is prepared like we never have been before. We have money. We have facilities. We have leadership. For one of the few times, I think the MSU family has been galvanized and is all on the same page. We are ready. We see what is ahead of us, and we all want that next step. We are the largest, most diverse university in Mississippi, with incredible academics. We are entering an age of uncertainty for our rival with a Top 10 Program in Baseball, Football, Women's Basketball, Tennis, Track and Field, Women's Golf, and I think within the next 2 years Men's Basketball. All of our other sports are competing at their highest levels ever. We are knocking on the door of National Championships in multiple sports. Ole Miss has none of this. NONE. Ignore them. Let them blow up their own programs - which they do like clockwork - while we continue to strive and achieve true excellence as a university and as a community.

Continue to strive for success THE Mississippi State way, and give no ****s about what happens to Ole Miss.

Hail State

Great post!

BrunswickDawg
12-01-2017, 06:34 PM
Just another note - Ole Miss is getting hammered in the media right now. Wolken, Forde, ESPN etc all noting that Ole Miss culture is the worst of the worst. They cheat, they lie, and importantly drag players thru the mud when it didn’t go OMs way. It will be a long time before those outside the OM bubble see them any other way. Contrast that with all the positive PR we’ve gotten with our leadership this week - both on and off the field - and you have another big gain for the good guys.

Liverpooldawg
12-01-2017, 06:37 PM
The recordings and the RR lawsuit will turn out to be their biggest punishment in this whole thing, and that was also self imposed. I don't think they understand that yet. They will.

Todd4State
12-01-2017, 06:38 PM
Those are mostly my thoughts but I'll add this- if I'm Leo Lewis I'm sueing Terry Warren's ass off.

SDDawg
12-01-2017, 07:34 PM
I agree with most of this except for the part on "their women". I don't see much to get excited about with their women and I never have. Maybe I'm not wired for the Tammy Faye look.

BrunswickDawg
12-01-2017, 07:51 PM
I agree with most of this except for the part on "their women". I don't see much to get excited about with their women and I never have. Maybe I'm not wired for the Tammy Faye look.

More about ?actions? then looks. I?m not into their aging sorority girl trying to hold on to 1985 either.

Rejlector84sports
12-01-2017, 09:15 PM
Like what you said, Brunswick. Ole Miss is what it is, even back in the ancient days of the early 80s when I was there. The Confederates have such an inbred idea of their worth that any attack becomes personal. Meanwhile the People's University continued to grow out of the past and work for bettering this state. Don't forget that most of the graduate students at UMC are State grads (all of my doctors are MSU grads who went there). The same applies to the Law School at MC. The Confederates have the Law School and most of their time is set defending their "history" and "image." This is the way it has always been -- UM continues to stumble along while trying to call attention to themselves ("Flagship? Really?) while MSU grads just produce and improve the society.

It would be nice if we could be called "The Mississippi State University" like Ohio State but as long as UM lawyers control the legislature it can only be unofficial.

Hail State (and for my generation, Beware of the Bulldog Blitz!!)

BrunswickDawg
12-01-2017, 09:28 PM
Like what you said, Brunswick. Ole Miss is what it is, even back in the ancient days of the early 80s when I was there. The Confederates have such an inbred idea of their worth that any attack becomes personal. Meanwhile the People's University continued to grow out of the past and work for bettering this state. Don't forget that most of the graduate students at UMC are State grads (all of my doctors are MSU grads who went there). The same applies to the Law School at MC. The Confederates have the Law School and most of their time is set defending their "history" and "image." This is the way it has always been -- UM continues to stumble along while trying to call attention to themselves ("Flagship? Really?) while MSU grads just produce and improve the society.

It would be nice if we could be called "The Mississippi State University" like Ohio State but as long as UM lawyers control the legislature it can only be unofficial.

Hail State (and for my generation, Beware of the Bulldog Blitz!!)

Sure things in life - death, taxes, and Ole Miss cheating.

yjnkdawg
12-01-2017, 09:33 PM
Rep given too. Great Post

Mutt the Hoople
12-01-2017, 09:35 PM
Just another note - Ole Miss is getting hammered in the media right now. Wolken, Forde, ESPN etc all noting that Ole Miss culture is the worst of the worst. They cheat, they lie, and importantly drag players thru the mud when it didn’t go OMs way. It will be a long time before those outside the OM bubble see them any other way. Contrast that with all the positive PR we’ve gotten with our leadership this week - both on and off the field - and you have another big gain for the good guys.
If every coach competing for a recruit let them know that Ole Miss will tape them, blackmail them, and try to legally lynch them if they don't go there, they'll leave Ole Miss in the dust.

http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/signaturepics/sigpic5581_4.gif

Liverpooldawg
12-01-2017, 09:36 PM
More about ?actions? then looks. I?m not into their aging sorority girl trying to hold on to 1985 either.

1985? More like 1963, the year I was born. If you get right down to it what they REALLY want to hang on to is 1860, the year before the Civil War.

Goldendawg
12-01-2017, 10:28 PM
Great post, BrunswickDawg. BTW guys, how do you give rep points? I owe quite a few. Goldendawg, '77 grad, first Egg Bowl in '63, 8 years old. Hail State!

sonofozarka
12-02-2017, 12:54 AM
Just another note - Ole Miss is getting hammered in the media right now. Wolken, Forde, ESPN etc all noting that Ole Miss culture is the worst of the worst. They cheat, they lie, and importantly drag players thru the mud when it didn?t go OMs way. It will be a long time before those outside the OM bubble see them any other way. Contrast that with all the positive PR we?ve gotten with our leadership this week - both on and off the field - and you have another big gain for the good guys.

Couldn't disagree more. Stories and media reports have a 24 hour news cycle and they're basically forgotten about in a week. By the time signing day rolls around, no one will remember or care what was written in articles or the tone of the NCAA letter. All that will remain are the punishments, which don't punish them at all. If anything, it may embolden them to think they're invincible

Commercecomet24
12-02-2017, 01:01 AM
1985? More like 1963, the year I was born. If you get right down to it what they REALLY want to hang on to is 1860, the year before the Civil War.

So dang accurate! Old times there are never forgotten.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2017, 01:04 AM
The recordings and the RR lawsuit will turn out to be their biggest punishment in this whole thing, and that was also self imposed. I don't think they understand that yet. They will.

The media stuff will die down but this will not, ucause they?re gonna be coaches reminding these recruits every minute that unm records recruits to have ?stuff? on you and they sued 2 teenagers. Every coach recruiting players will beat this to death. The high school coaches in state are already wary of letting unm talk to their players. The recording and lawsuits are worse penalties than the NCAA handed out

AlSwearengen
12-02-2017, 01:18 AM
If every coach competing for a recruit let them know that Ole Miss will tape them, blackmail them, and try to legally lynch them if they don't go there, they'll leave Ole Miss in the dust.

http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/signaturepics/sigpic5581_4.gif

This. Recruits will avoid them like the plague.

Gutter Cobreh
12-02-2017, 01:45 AM
Great post, BrunswickDawg. BTW guys, how do you give rep points? I owe quite a few. Goldendawg, '77 grad, first Egg Bowl in '63, 8 years old. Hail State!

Press that little badge symbol (bottoms left of someone's post) and thus you'll be spreading reputation around....

Don't ask how to post a picture because I still haven't figured that $h#t out, even with Scooba's tutorial on the front page...

3rdGen
12-02-2017, 06:41 AM
beacause master Wayne....some men just want to watch the world burn. That’s how I feel. I don’t care if we never see a SEC West title, I just want to see them burn into ash and never recover. Please let them get busted on probation. Please please let that happen. I get all the positive spin on how we are better than that but it seems like they got off so easy it will not effect them nearly as much as I would like. Go on.......yes sir right down the hall here, third door on the right, yep right through there is hell. That’s where you need to go.