PDA

View Full Version : Still nothing on a DC?...

maroonmania
12-01-2017, 01:38 PM
a little bummed Grantham wouldn't stay with significant raise.

ScoobaDawg
12-01-2017, 01:39 PM
Or maybe... It was the opposite? Joe might not have wanted him and that's what is more important than what any of our or John wanted...

Gutter Cobreh
12-01-2017, 02:40 PM
Or maybe... It was the opposite? Joe might not have wanted him and that's what is more important than what any of our or John wanted...

I think this is more like it. Based on what Cohen said yesterday, Moorhead knows defense as well. I suspect a philosophy difference between the two that resulted in Grantham going with Doug Merlins. At UF, Grantham has full control because Merlins has proven he knows absolutely nothing about running a defense.

I trust Moorhead. I like his style, demeanor, and how he's responded thus far. I like Grantham as well and hope his kid pulls out the win tonight. In the end, I think the fit just wasn't what Moorhead was looking for.

Bama_Dawg
12-01-2017, 04:41 PM
We may be playing a PR game too. Let TSUN have their day in the spotlight, then make our splashes over the weekend or early next week. Hire now, yes, but keep it quiet.

msudawglb
12-01-2017, 04:49 PM
Or.....hell, I don't know....take a week to make the right choice.

was21
12-01-2017, 05:18 PM
Moorhead said he wasn't in a hurry to complete his staff...wants to get it right rather than soon

dawgs
12-01-2017, 05:24 PM
Good chance we are waiting until after tomorrow to talk with some DC candidates. Guys coaching conference CGs tomorrow don’t have the time to interview this week.

GeoDawg
12-01-2017, 07:11 PM
Yes, I?m a first time poster so don?t be too rough. 😂

I was doing some perusing on the internet and noticed that UTSA is number 7 in total defense this year. Their DC is Pete Golding. His bio says he graduated from DSU and coached at USM. Also, says he is from Louisiana. Anybody have any thoughts on him. Not endorsing; just curious.

FYI, I was a member of the BulldawgJunction board for a while, but haven?t been a poster in a long time. Enjoy reading stuff on here and hey, I get it for free. Probably won?t post again, but will continue to read.

Thanks and HailState!!

Bully13
12-01-2017, 07:49 PM
you seem to be all right so far.

question: why would you not post again?

lefty96
12-01-2017, 08:16 PM

Shit no, Win Twitter toDAY

HoopsDawg
12-01-2017, 08:33 PM
Yes, I?m a first time poster so don?t be too rough. ��

I was doing some perusing on the internet and noticed that UTSA is number 7 in total defense this year. Their DC is Pete Golding. His bio says he graduated from DSU and coached at USM. Also, says he is from Louisiana. Anybody have any thoughts on him. Not endorsing; just curious.

FYI, I was a member of the BulldawgJunction board for a while, but haven?t been a poster in a long time. Enjoy reading stuff on here and hey, I get it for free. Probably won?t post again, but will continue to read.

Thanks and HailState!!

Golding has been called one of the best young defensive coordinators in the country. I tried to find out what he runs as his base defense. The answer...he doesn't have a base defense. He runs a 4-3, 4-2-5 and a 3-4. Very intriguing hire. I hope Moorhead at least brings him in for an interview.

Okrastar1
12-01-2017, 08:52 PM
I played with Pete at DSU, great guy and was a hell of a DB. Super smart football guy and high energy! Really be interesting to see what he could do even if only Co DC.

Todd4State
12-01-2017, 09:15 PM
I bet we end up going to a 4-3. That's what the guy from Duke runs and I think that's what they ran at Fordham when Moorhead was there watching bits and pieces of them.

Golding would be great. Another guy I would look at is Vic Koenning at Troy. Everyone talks about Neal Brown but Koenning is the real star there.

Todd4State
12-01-2017, 09:18 PM
I played with Pete at DSU, great guy and was a hell of a DB. Super smart football guy and high energy! Really be interesting to see what he could do even if only Co DC.

Ah! OKRAstar. Makes sense now.

Moorhead had co-DC's at Fordham so that might be what we end up doing. We did that with Chris Wilson and Manny and then Chris Wilson and Geoff Collins. The difference is Moorhead had one DC that was a LB coach and the other was a safety or DB coach. That makes a lot more sense than Dan's one DL coach and the other is the LB coach set-up. I'm not exactly sure how co-DC's work but if you have one that does the LB's I guess that DC would handle the blitz packages and the S coach would handle the coverages?

Liverpooldawg
12-01-2017, 09:20 PM
Measure twice, cut once. Moorhead is a wise man.

Okrastar1
12-01-2017, 09:43 PM
Ah! OKRAstar. Makes sense now.

Moorhead had co-DC's at Fordham so that might be what we end up doing. We did that with Chris Wilson and Manny and then Chris Wilson and Geoff Collins. The difference is Moorhead had one DC that was a LB coach and the other was a safety or DB coach. That makes a lot more sense than Dan's one DL coach and the other is the LB coach set-up. I'm not exactly sure how co-DC's work but if you have one that does the LB's I guess that DC would handle the blitz packages and the S coach would handle the coverages?

Lifelong state fan, but Delta State paid for college. Parents made it an easy choice haha! But I’ll say haven’t been around Pete for a few years but man was he driven!

Prediction? Pain.
12-01-2017, 11:29 PM
I bet we end up going to a 4-3. That's what the guy from Duke runs and I think that's what they ran at Fordham when Moorhead was there watching bits and pieces of them.

Golding would be great. Another guy I would look at is Vic Koenning at Troy. Everyone talks about Neal Brown but Koenning is the real star there.

Todd, what do you make of Koenning's time at North Carolina from 2012 to 2014? I don't follow UNC at all, but the numbers aren't good. His three defenses there were bad, mediocre, and horrific. And it doesn't look like he suffered from having to prop up bad offenses, either (UNC's offenses those years were average to good.) Maybe just a bad fit? His last defense at Clemson the year before Dabo took over was great, and his Troy defense has improved a lot the past two years (this season's was especially solid). I haven't found any articles that discuss the issues he had at UNC and I'm curious about what the deal was.

Homedawg
12-01-2017, 11:47 PM
Todd, what do you make of Koenning's time at North Carolina from 2012 to 2014? I don't follow UNC at all, but the numbers aren't good. His three defenses there were bad, mediocre, and horrific. And it doesn't look like he suffered from having to prop up bad offenses, either (UNC's offenses those years were average to good.) Maybe just a bad fit? His last defense at Clemson the year before Dabo took over was great, and his Troy defense has improved a lot the past two years (this season's was especially solid). I haven't found any articles that discuss the issues he had at UNC and I'm curious about what the deal was.

You are being kind. He was terrible there. Beyond awful. No thanks.

msstate7
12-01-2017, 11:50 PM
Charles Kelly going with jimbo to aTm?

Liverpooldawg
12-02-2017, 12:06 AM
Measure twice, cut once.

Commercecomet24
12-02-2017, 12:12 AM
Golding has been called one of the best young defensive coordinators in the country. I tried to find out what he runs as his base defense. The answer...he doesn't have a base defense. He runs a 4-3, 4-2-5 and a 3-4. Very intriguing hire. I hope Moorhead at least brings him in for an interview.

I like a dc that really is multiple and doesn?t just say it. It?s good to be flexible enough to matchup with any type offense. Does sound like could be interesting choice. At least interview

Todd4State
12-02-2017, 12:24 AM

If he has been solid everywhere else I'll assume it was a bad fit and move along. Same thing happened to Manny Diaz at Texas and look at him now.

MabenMaroon
12-02-2017, 07:37 AM

"measure twice, cut once"

Entodawg
12-02-2017, 08:02 AM
And what?s John Chavis going to do?

Bully13
12-02-2017, 09:12 AM
And what?s John Chavis going to do?

Suffer the consequences of the UCLA debacle.

GeoDawg
12-02-2017, 09:50 AM

Thanks guys for all the responses! Took me a while to find them. Didn?t realize the post got moved. Thought it got deleted because I broke some rule or maybe part of a first time hazing ritual. :D

Anyway, I appreciate all the responses. Hey! If he at least gets an interview do I get any kind if street cred.:cool:

QuadrupleOption
12-02-2017, 09:53 AM
Hey if we could swing Randy Shannon (now ex-DC @ Florida) that'd be good too. He might be motivated to stick for at least two years just so he can have a chance to embarrass Florida.