PDA

View Full Version : How will NCAA justify tossing our their Matrix in the case

Irondawg
12-01-2017, 11:04 AM
I don't know how far they'll end up under it, but it's going to be a far cry from what their chart says. We all knew this would be the case, but just wondering how the NCAA will justify it if they use it on the next case but another school basically gets the OM penalty for 1/10 of the charges

PMDawg
12-01-2017, 11:09 AM
They don't have to justify anything. Mark Emmert is a disgrace and should be fired.

Reason2succeed
12-01-2017, 11:09 AM
Exactly!!! Someone please explain.

I could gues that some of the infractions happened before the introduction of the matrix but even excluding those the penalties would be staggering.

The only other thing that people have suggested is that all level 1s in a particular category are punished concurrently but that would mean that OM did well by cheating so much.

Tbonewannabe
12-01-2017, 11:16 AM
You also have to think as long as the school has the balls to fight that they can use this case to lighten their penalties. Basically as long as you get less than 15 level 1s then you should get less punishment. The UM case is pretty much setting the bar as far as the future punishments under the matrix. Unless you have Bracky Brett then the school punishes themselves far worse than the matrix requires and the NCAA just says ok dumbass.

Tbonewannabe
12-01-2017, 11:18 AM
Exactly!!! Someone please explain.

I could gues that some of the infractions happened before the introduction of the matrix but even excluding those the penalties would be staggering.

The only other thing that people have suggested is that all level 1s in a particular category are punished concurrently but that would mean that OM did well by cheating so much.

So kill 1 guy or 15 guys, you still just get 10 years and it is all good. The NCAA might have just opened Pandora's Box.

confucius say
12-01-2017, 11:19 AM
Not just individual infractions, but The entirety of the case is classified as level one, two, or three. The penalties come from that classification.

Johnson85
12-01-2017, 11:27 AM
I don't know how far they'll end up under it, but it's going to be a far cry from what their chart says. We all knew this would be the case, but just wondering how the NCAA will justify it if they use it on the next case but another school basically gets the OM penalty for 1/10 of the charges

It'll be pretty easy. They'll either say the matrix was unworkable, so it had to be ignored. Or they'll say the matrix is just used to assign severity to the totality of the case, in which case they were just using their discretion to do that, and the matrix is useless because it just places some formality around the wide, wide, latitude of discretion (that is inconsistently applied) that the member institutions were complaining about when pushing for something more predictable.

SheltonChoked
12-01-2017, 11:31 AM
So kill 1 guy or 15 guys, you still just get 10 years and it is all good. The NCAA might have just opened Pandora's Box.

Or the way I read it, if the NCAA has you on one big item (say ACT score cheating) go all in and start paying players. The penalty is the same.

lastmajordog
12-01-2017, 11:50 AM
delete

Dawgology
12-01-2017, 11:55 AM
delete

What??? That’s not even in either NOA. That’s rumors and inuendo. As we now see the NCAA barely punishes with actual they are definitely not going to punish based on rumors.

1bigdawg
12-01-2017, 12:17 PM
I read the NCAA report. They claim they followed the matrix.

confucius say
12-01-2017, 12:59 PM
I read the NCAA report. They claim they followed the matrix.

Correct. Each party (institution and each coach) is assigned a level (1, 2, or 3). The penalty to each party is based on into which level they fall.

ETA: the institution was a level-1 standard. Accordingly, the matrix calls for 12.5% to 25% scholly reduction. OM got 15%.

TXDawg
12-01-2017, 02:10 PM
Correct. Each party (institution and each coach) is assigned a level (1, 2, or 3). The penalty to each party is based on into which level they fall.

ETA: the institution was a level-1 standard. Accordingly, the matrix calls for 12.5% to 25% scholly reduction. OM got 15%.

This. They claim to have followed the matrix by lumping all of the infractions into a single Level I - Standard charge against the school.

So basically, it doesn’t matter if you commit one Level I or twenty, your case will be reduced to a single classification against the institution and punished accordingly. Translation: if you’re going to cheat, cheat big.

spbdawg
12-01-2017, 02:21 PM
#

Irondawg
12-01-2017, 02:22 PM
This. They claim to have followed the matrix by lumping all of the infractions into a single Level I - Standard charge against the school.

So basically, it doesn’t matter if you commit one Level I or twenty, your case will be reduced to a single classification against the institution and punished accordingly. Translation: if you’re going to cheat, cheat big.

Right, if you go down that road you don't want to do it halfway. I really thought this would be the example case b/c they had all the national media on their side and most of the country wouldn't care, but it would get attention as a SEC school. Oh well.

spbdawg
12-01-2017, 07:31 PM
#

msstate7
12-01-2017, 07:33 PM
The NCAA did not want to punish OM.

spbdawg
12-01-2017, 07:35 PM
#