PDA

View Full Version : Moorhead offense

BB30
11-30-2017, 09:46 PM
Reading and watching more of his offense I have a couple concerns was wondering yalls opinion on them...

One- fits comp percentage was around 55% this year and 54% last year( I know we had a pile of drops) mcsorely(psu qb completed in the high 60s, made a big jump from first year to second with Moorhead) the passing game seems much more vertical.. does this worry anyone? How much will Fitz have to develop in the passing game to be extremely successful this year?

Two- do the additions of heath and Guidry assuming we lock them down bring enough to the table to improve our passing game enough to have a couple of actual threats at wr needed in this O? If not, who on our roster at wr do y?all expect to step up?

Perpetual Underachiever
11-30-2017, 09:53 PM
While your points have some validity, I have zero concerns about his offense. It is not a static strategy, it is fluid and adaptable. Looking at it from a broader point of view one thing is clear, he gets his playmakers touches, period.

BB30
11-30-2017, 10:00 PM
Yea, I’m sure he will get Fitz involved in the run game much more than he did mcsorely and adapt to our skill guys. Just some thoughts I had.

Tbonewannabe
11-30-2017, 10:13 PM
I believe McSorely's completion % increased as he got more comfortable in the offense. Coach JoeMo is actually a really good QB developer.

Turfdawg67
11-30-2017, 10:16 PM
Fitz is on the cusp of being a very accurate passer. If he’s ready to go this Spring I hope and pray we have a vertical passing game for the Fall! This is the only element that we are missing to beat an Alabama/UGA team! OM showed how to do it, but their problem was that... that was ALL they could do, so any given off game... Memphis, Arkansas(x3) they could be beaten. But add that wrinkle to our offense and ...oh, boy! Lookout!!

msstate7
11-30-2017, 10:18 PM
Penn State signed a pro style qb last year. They have a pro style commit this year. They do have a dual for next season though. It will be interesting if we go for pro or dual going forward.

BB30
11-30-2017, 10:19 PM
Fitz is on the cusp of being a very accurate passer. If he’s ready to go this Spring I hope and pray we have a vertical passing game for the Fall! This is the only element that we are missing to beat an Alabama/UGA team! OM showed how to do it, but their problem was that was ALL they could do so any given off game... Memphis, Arkansas(x3) they could be beaten. But add that wrinkle to our offense and ...oh, boy! Lookout!!

They also had the jimmies and joes at wr to do it. Brown or metcalf would thrive in Moorhead’s offense. Hoping Guidry can fill that role.

Perpetual Underachiever
11-30-2017, 10:20 PM
IMO Fitz comp% will increase for several reasons: Maturity and natural progression with another year under his belt, Moorhead's scheme presenting Fitz with more open looks to the WR/TE/RB's, and if we can land two of the three elite WR (Whop, Heath, Guidry) it will benefit our entire WR corps.

Looking at things through my maroon glasses the future is bright. The chances of Fitz comp% decreasing below 55% is damn near impossible, so the question is will he increase 1% or 10%?

msstate7
11-30-2017, 10:21 PM
They also had the jimmies and joes at wr to do it. Brown or metcalf would thrive in Moorhead’s offense. Hoping Guidry can fill that role.

I think Todd is close to being a good wr too

Turfdawg67
11-30-2017, 10:25 PM

Our guys were open plenty this year and the passes either weren’t on target or dropped. Not talking 50/50 balls, we sucked at those!

maroonmania
Reading and watching more of his offense I have a couple concerns was wondering yalls opinion on them...

One- fits comp percentage was around 55% this year and 54% last year( I know we had a pile of drops) mcsorely(psu qb completed in the high 60s, made a big jump from first year to second with Moorhead) the passing game seems much more vertical.. does this worry anyone? How much will Fitz have to develop in the passing game to be extremely successful this year?

Two- do the additions of heath and Guidry assuming we lock them down bring enough to the table to improve our passing game enough to have a couple of actual threats at wr needed in this O? If not, who on our roster at wr do y?all expect to step up?

Fitz may have to work more on his passing game for next year anyway. After the image I have in my head of that ankle injury I'm not convinced he will ever be the same runner again that he was. Hope he can come back all the way but I'm not convinced.

Perpetual Underachiever
Penn State signed a pro style qb last year. They have a pro style commit this year. They do have a dual for next season though. It will be interesting if we go for pro or dual going forward.

KT & Moorhead's offense seem like a match made in heaven. He clearly likes a strong arm, but requires a good bit of mobility.

ShotgunDawg
11-30-2017, 10:36 PM
This is a good discussion.

The thing to understand is that Moorhead is a "figure it out guy". He'll play to our strengths & design the offense around the strengths of his best players. When watching the Penn Stat offense, the goal was clear; get the ball in Saquon's hands.

https://i.imgur.com/zhCnacW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3MC6RM2.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8kCijkO.jpg

tireddawg
11-30-2017, 11:03 PM
So who's hand in our offense does he get ball into?

ScoobaDawg
11-30-2017, 11:16 PM

1) Joe will take the strengths and weaknesses Fitz has and work with them. He won't peg a square hole in a circle if Fitz doesn't get a better touch on his deep throws. He's going to work his bread and butter which is the shorter throws if the deep ball doesn't develop over the next 8 months.

Perpetual Underachiever
11-30-2017, 11:26 PM
This is a good discussion.

The thing to understand is that Moorhead is a "figure it out guy". He'll play to our strengths & design the offense around the strengths of his best players. When watching the Penn Stat offense, the goal was clear; get the ball in Saquon's hands.

https://i.imgur.com/zhCnacW.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/3MC6RM2.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/8kCijkO.jpg

Exactly. Gone are the days of a 150lb rb taking 3/4 the carries because he is a senior. From what I've seen, Joe puts his BEST players in the BEST position to make plays. It's exciting to know our playmakers will actually get touches...SMH at Don

Todd4State
11-30-2017, 11:26 PM
I'm not worried. We're going to have taller WR's next year. And while I like Gray and Myles- they had a lot of drops even on short passes much less deep ones.

I think Joe will make the deep ball an emphasis in the offseason.

Lord McBuckethead
12-01-2017, 12:09 AM
Malik Dear, Todd, and our RB

BuckyIsAB****
12-01-2017, 12:25 AM
Fitz may have to work more on his passing game for next year anyway. After the image I have in my head of that ankle injury I'm not convinced he will ever be the same runner again that he was. Hope he can come back all the way but I'm not convinced.

Fitz is expected to make a full recovery. I remember Treadwell had a bad injury and he came back 100 percent the next year. Fitz is tough he will be ok

Reason2succeed
12-01-2017, 07:18 AM
Malik Dear and Mixon in the slot. Todd and Guidry (If we still get him)/ Heath/Whop/Couch
Justin Johnson at TE

Kylin Hill will get more carries because of his explosiveness but I suspect Aeris will still be the starter.

louisvilledawg
12-01-2017, 08:53 AM
Malik Dear, Todd, and our RB

Couch
farrod
justin johnson
jesse jackson
I think osirus mitchell will develop

Then you hopefully add

Guidry
Heath
Whop

Would be unreal.

Tbonewannabe
12-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Couch
farrod
justin johnson
jesse jackson
I think osirus mitchell will develop

Then you hopefully add

Guidry
Heath
Whop

Would be unreal.

Coach JoeMo definitely has some good players to work with. He might break all the records that Lateral set. I will say that Lateral left him a lot better WR and QB group than he inherited from Croom.