PDA

View Full Version : Mullen Told Cohen Before Egg Bowl He Was Leaving

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2017, 07:24 PM
Not sure if this is Germans but on today?s Boneyard Rosebowl said that Mullen told Cohen prior to the Egg Bowl that he needed a new challenge and was leaving.

Take that for what it?s worth. At least Mullen offered a heads up and allowed us a jump start on the hiring process.

BuckyIsAB****
11-29-2017, 07:26 PM
Same shit he did in 2015 but he flopped

starkvegasdawg
11-29-2017, 07:27 PM
What challenge did he conquer here to need a new one?

Commercecomet24
It looked like he had quit on us about the arky game.

msbulldog
Okay thanks Dan, lay the hell off our recruits.

Leroy Jenkins
11-29-2017, 07:29 PM
Not sure if this is Germans but on today?s Boneyard Rosebowl said that Mullen told Cohen prior to the Egg Bowl that he needed a new challenge and was leaving.

Take that for what it?s worth. At least Mullen offered a heads up and allowed us a jump start on the hiring process.

A new challenge? How about picking up a new hobby like.... I don't know, recruiting? Or, coming up with at short-yardage play that isn't "empty-the-backfield-and-run-QB-draw"? There's are a few challenges he could have undertaken.

Suck-it, Danno.

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2017, 07:30 PM

Good lord man. Just drive over to the athletic side of campus and look around. If you think what you see would be there if he hadn't elevated the program like he did you are just consumed with hatred. You might not have liked him or how he left, but he did a hell of lot for MSU andStarkville.

RougeDawg

Reduced the margin of his losses to Saban.

RocketDawg
If he told Cohen before, did he also tell the players before the game?

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2017, 07:32 PM
If he told Cohen before, did he also tell the players before the game?

Steve said it wasn’t known outside of the Bryan Building.

Listen to the Boneyard about 15 min in.

Leroy Jenkins
11-29-2017, 07:34 PM
Good lord man. Just drive over to the athletic side of campus and look around. If you think what you see would be there if he hadn't elevated the program like he did you are just consumed with hatred. You might not have liked him or how he left, but he did a hell of lot for MSU andStarkville.

I fell like ESPN, SEC Network, and Seal money were more responsible than the former coach. Winning does help.

Maroonthirteen
11-29-2017, 07:35 PM
Meh, the relationship had grown stale from both sides. Just look at the actual attendance this year. Also, he seemed to be less than enthusiastic to ask people to show up for Kentucky.

Hell I was pretty pissed at him the way 2014, 2015 and this year ended. As ungrateful as that may be.

BuckyIsAB****
11-29-2017, 07:37 PM
The Mullen is perfect crowd really needs to own up and accept Danny boy for what he was. Flopped in the Bama game and after in 2014, He thought he was too good for us in 2015 and didnt give a shit in 16 probably should have cost us the bowl streak but we got lucky with the APR. Build him a statue my ass.

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2017, 07:38 PM
Mullen did a great job, but I think the relationship had run it’s course.

Mullen is better off at Florida

MSU can grow to greater heights with Moorehead

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2017, 07:40 PM
The Mullen is perfect crowd really needs to own up and accept Danny boy for what he was. Flopped in the Bama game and after in 2014, He thought he was too good for us in 2015 and didnt give a shit in 16 probably should have cost us the bowl streak but we got lucky with the APR. Build him a statue my ass.

I get your point but the program is significantly better today than 9 years ago. Now, much of that coincides with the SEC Network and stability in the President’s office that offered him excellent resources.

He did a great job though. Let’s all move on.

Activated Alpha
11-29-2017, 07:44 PM
So if it's widely known that he tried to get out multiple years then A) Cohen knew it when he became AD and always had the coaching search in his back pocket and B) Scott Stricklin knew Dan Mullen would jump at the offer

Commercecomet24
11-29-2017, 07:44 PM
I supported Dan but when he lied straight to the players face that crossed the line. As my grandfather used to say a man that will lie to your face is capable of anything, stay away. Appreciate what he did to get us to this point but I?m disappointed that he had no more respect for the program that built him into what he IS than to sneak out in the middle of the night. He still has not issued any kind of thank you to the school, fans or people of this University who supported him. Sorry but he?s dead to me. Time for us to move on and forget.

Dawg61
11-29-2017, 07:45 PM
You could tell in the UMass game Don was thinking about using lack of attendance for an 11am game as an excuse to leave. He knew then he was going to make this his last year here and he had already started building excuses in his mind.

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2017, 07:47 PM
I fell like ESPN, SEC Network, and Seal money were more responsible than the former coach. Winning does help.

If we hadn't been winning we wouldn't have expanded the stadium, we probabaly would have built some sort of football complex, that was long overdue. Now would it have been as nice? I doubt it.

preachermatt83
11-29-2017, 07:47 PM
Steve is GREAT on OM stuff... good on Recruiting... but his sources inside the Bryant building are not great.

Sacrifice
11-29-2017, 07:58 PM
Cohen said in an interview today, he had an idea he was leaving 2 months ago

Drugdog
11-29-2017, 07:58 PM
I say, Let's All Move ON....

We have a Coach that has already got us on board. I'm not looking back.

Gutter Cobreh
11-29-2017, 08:05 PM
Mullen did a great job, but I think the relationship had run it?s course.

Mullen is better off at Florida

MSU can grow to greater heights with Moorehead

Not if you can't figure out how to spell the new coach's name correctly...as much as you post it would be great for that to happen sooner rather than later.

tireddawg
11-29-2017, 08:09 PM
Steve is GREAT on OM stuff... good on Recruiting... but his sources inside the Bryant building are not great.

Better than yours

thedawginme
11-29-2017, 08:11 PM
He did a great job though. Let?s all move on.

Didn't you start this thread?

msbulldog
11-29-2017, 08:11 PM

Your right Liverpool, he definitively left the program better than he came in. The facilities are on our Alums and supporters who gave him what he wanted , which are miles ahead of what Florida has. He had milestones, #1 ranking, 8 straight bowls (kinda easy now, 6 wins gets you in to the toilet brush bowl). Dan has raised our seasons expectations, most of us figured this was a 6 win season and we got 8! He has raised the play of our team, but then he lost focus and left us wanting! He was payed exceptionally well for what he did and we don't owe him anything. He owes us, he would not have his job without MSU and he need to lay off our recruits. MSU has spent a lot of money recruiting our committal's, now Dan is using this to his advantage for Florida.

I always enjoy your perspective Liverpool and value the opportunity to respond to opinions, thanks.

Katdoc12
11-29-2017, 08:12 PM

This! Not saying he didnt do some good things for us, but we benefited him as much as he benefited us.

Goldendawg
11-29-2017, 08:12 PM
I sat in Atlanta with a lead over Tn early in the 4th quarter with Jackie trying to win a SEC Championship. Appreciate the good things Dan did, but he didn't get me back to Atlanta. Hoping that Coach Moorhead can and will ( and doesn't draw up or choke in big games). Will be in our seats for about my 54th year doing all I can with very well used cowbell. Hail MSU Family! Hail State!

Dawg61
11-29-2017, 08:19 PM

If we hadn't been winning we wouldn't have expanded the stadium, we probabaly would have built some sort of football complex, that was long overdue. Now would it have been as nice? I doubt it.

Give it a rest dude. You got the rest of your life to suck Don Marlins balls just like you do Stansbury.

Cooterpoot
11-29-2017, 08:21 PM
Say what ever you want, but Mullen built our program and left us a team next year. Our status in the football world moved up because of him. He basically let us know he was leaving. I don't have a problem with him because of that.
But 17 Mullen the FL coach!

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2017, 08:30 PM
Give it a rest dude. You got the rest of your life to suck Don Marlins balls just like you do Stansbury.

Bitterness gets you nowhere. Dan left us in great shape and a much better program than he found. Ingratitude isn't one of my many faults. It's time to move on. We just made a hire that is being lauded nationwide. I'm pumped and behind the new guy now. He was my first choice out of the supposed list. I can't wait till next season!

Personal attack aren't becoming 61. Shame on you. ;)

Turfdawg67
11-29-2017, 08:31 PM

Yep... Let?s not jerk the jerk off any more than we need to...

Dawg61
11-29-2017, 08:35 PM
Bitterness gets you nowhere. Dan left us in great shape and a much better program than he found. Ingratitude isn't one of my many faults. It's time to move on. We just made a hire that is being lauded nationwide. I'm pumped and behind the new guy now. He was my first choice out of the supposed list. I can't wait till next season!

Personal attack aren't becoming 61. Shame on you. ;)

I am going to spend the next decade dragging Don Marlins through the shitty sewers back and forth just for you Livertroll. :cool:

Turfdawg67
11-29-2017, 08:36 PM

Exactly! Just like the bullshit bowl record. The Kang had back to back 7-5 seasons and we didn’t sniff a bowl. So many bowls now that we make one at 5-7!!! Also, having a winning season is a lot easier than it used to be.

Goldendawg
11-29-2017, 08:44 PM
A winning season recently: A. Beat 4 out of conference cupcakes ( not counting South Alabama*) B. Beat Kentucky and another weak East team C. Beat Arky most of the time. This allows you to never beat bama in 9 years, beat LSU or Auburn a couple and times, split with UNM (actually 2 and 4 over the last 6 years and didn't look prepared at times due to the annual job search at the end of the season). Hey, that's 7 to 8 wins most years. I appreciate what Dan did, but I want more! Hail State!

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2017, 09:01 PM
I am going to spend the next decade dragging Don Marlins through the shitty sewers back and forth just for you Livertroll. :cool:

Your hate speech above was interesting, given what you said about me a while back. I should report you, but I don't do that. I'll leave that to you.

I'm over Mullen. He did a lot of good here, but he moved on so from now on he is an opponent. You should move on too, hate can consume you. But if you want to wallow in the past then go right ahead. I'm behind Moorhead. The future looks GREAT!

maroonmania
11-29-2017, 09:06 PM

Exactly, never seen a guy that only wins 6 to 8 games per year think so highly of his own coaching ability.

CJDAWG85
11-29-2017, 09:06 PM
What I heard was similar. Story I heard was he wanted out the week before the Arkansas game. He told Hev and Hev told someone and Cohen caught wind of it.

maroonmania
11-29-2017, 09:12 PM
You could tell in the UMass game Don was thinking about using lack of attendance for an 11am game as an excuse to leave. He knew then he was going to make this his last year here and he had already started building excuses in his mind.

Is that why he called me???****

maroonmania
11-29-2017, 09:15 PM

Mullen did a very good job no doubt BUT he was really set up by how bad we were the 10 years before he got here under the last few years of Sherrill and Croom. For a long time MSU fans were ecstatic with Mullen even when he was winning 6 or 7 games a year.

Coach34
11-29-2017, 09:16 PM
I tried to tell you guys but as always you try to make me the bad guy.

I dont want an apology- but damn guys- wise the **** up and stop the bashing. I dont make up shit. Ive reported the stuff I have for 13 years now because I'm an everyday fan like the rest of you. I like telling the everyday State fan shit he would never know. Thats why I have taken on the role I have and helped start this website.

This is why we have a free website and all we ask is to click some ads each week for support. We are the everyday fan that loves this school and supports it.

Hail State

Dallas_Dawg
11-29-2017, 09:19 PM

I dont want an apology- but damn guys- wise the **** up and stop the bashing. I dont make up shit. Ive reported the stuff I have for 13 years now because I'm an everyday fan like the rest of you. I like telling the everyday State fan shit he would never know. Thats why I have taken on the role I have and helped start this website.

This is why we have a free website and all we ask is to click some ads each week for support. We are the everyday fan that loves this school and supports it.

Hail State

Ok, so who are some names for Coach Mo?s staff?

BB30
11-29-2017, 09:23 PM

Hail State

This is the most positive I’ve seen you in several years ha. You must be really pumped about this hire... Lookin forward to seeing what our new ball coach can do and hope to see him on the road locking up recruits soon!

Coach34
11-29-2017, 09:25 PM
Love the new hire

bobtail bob
11-29-2017, 09:26 PM
Don was there laughing it up with fat Luke while they were trying to fix Fitz's mangled ankle and didn't do shit..
Stood on the sideline while they took cheap shot after cheap shot waiting for the clock to hit zero.
He quit on this team and that's a fact.

Turfdawg67
11-29-2017, 09:28 PM

Hail State

Hey, bro... you are one of the reasons I joined this site, but isn't it also true you've been shipping Dan out since year 3? Eventually you are gonna be correct. Still love your insights... and EliteDawgRecruiting's (he makes me say that***)

Commercecomet24
11-29-2017, 09:28 PM

Hail State

Appreciate the site and the info. This site is so unique in the info that?s provided here. Your info has proven to be accurate more times than not. Thanks for providing the insight you do, even though sometimes it?s painful

I_Spy
11-29-2017, 09:31 PM
Part of it is that it's fun to pick on Coach34 or just disagree to get a response.

Sacrifice
11-29-2017, 09:43 PM
I was on the other board when C34 first said it?s coming and guess what...... ITS F-IN COMING.... You got lifetime cred with me over that.

Coach34
11-29-2017, 09:46 PM
Hey, bro... you are one of the reasons I joined this site, but isn't it also true you've been shipping Dan out since year 3? Eventually you are gonna be correct. Still love your insights... and EliteDawgRecruiting's (he makes me say that***)

I never said Mullen was leaving before 2015

I_Spy
11-29-2017, 09:51 PM
people are fans and we all wear our fandom on our shoulder- but it’s hard to dispute all the great info you have provided to us over the years, thanks Coach34

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2017, 09:55 PM
Mullen did a very good job no doubt BUT he was really set up by how bad we were the 10 years before he got here under the last few years of Sherrill and Croom. For a long time MSU fans were ecstatic with Mullen even when he was winning 6 or 7 games a year.

Of course we were. That's what sucking for so long does to you.

Dawg61
11-29-2017, 09:59 PM

Hail State

Problem was you posted it right before the game tipped off. You basically whispered in your buddies ear "hey I am ****ing your fiance" as he was at the alter about to get married. Had you waited till Friday or maybe a couple hours after the game you wouldn't of gotten such a negative response. Sometimes timing is everything. I will give you credit though you sniffed out the snake years before I saw it. Guess I didn't want to see it.

Coach34
11-29-2017, 10:15 PM
If I had waited it wouldnt have mattered. It still would have been countered with "agenda" just like it was in 2015. It took him leaving and the after info leaking out to show I was right all along. I just ask that people keep their eyes and ears open moving forward.

preachermatt83
11-29-2017, 10:17 PM
Better than yours

Oh no doubt. I agree completely. Steve is my favorite MSU media guy. I'm just saying he well connected in a ton of areas. I trust him more than most. I'm just saying he is better with recruiting and the OM stuff than he is with this kind of stuff because he doesn't have very good sources in the bryan building.

lefty96
11-29-2017, 10:24 PM
Appreciate the site and the info. This site is so unique in the info that?s provided here. Your info has proven to be accurate more times than not. Thanks for providing the insight you do, even though sometimes it?s painful
Ditto. You can’t just cheer the info that is right that you like. That’s not how it works.

17 Mullen and strick. That is all.

Westdawg
11-29-2017, 10:42 PM
C34, I have never really doubted your info

Dawg61
11-29-2017, 10:43 PM
If I had waited it wouldnt have mattered. It still would have been countered with "agenda" just like it was in 2015. It took him leaving and the after info leaking out to show I was right all along. I just ask that people keep their eyes and ears open moving forward.

The way the game was going and Fitz's injury didn't help you either. Everybody was looking for an avenue to throw their frustration at. Your post was the perfect target. It is what it is. You're a big boy you can handle it and everyone knows and sees your post was correct now. Like I said before you sniffed out the snake long before the rest of us did so that should be worth way more than any halfhearted sorries would be.

Westdawg
11-29-2017, 10:45 PM
C34, I have never really doubted your info. We have even shared stuff back and forth with DMs. I just had a real bad problem with Shari g this past stuff right before we kickoff the Egg Bowl. I thought it wrong then and still do now.
I, too, love this hire. JoMo is the real deal for the offense. Hope his DC hire is just as awesome. This team deserves it.

Todd4State
11-29-2017, 11:09 PM
Again the fact of the matter is Dan didn't want to be here and apparently hasn't since 2015 at least if not earlier and we need a coach that wants to be here. I'm happy with what Dan did overall. Should he be more grateful towards MSU for the opportunity we gave him? Absolutely. At the end of the day he is one of the better coaches we have had.

If it were me, I would have told him to go take another job in 2015 because that would have been the best for BOTH MSU and Dan. It sounds to me like he was going to do that and had the rug pulled out under him from Miami and then last year we had a bad year so he wasn't leaving. I'm happy that he got committed enough to put together a good year this year so that he could move on and we could move on as well with our badass new coach.

That happens sometimes to people- they just need to move on and I think that's what happened to Dan. To our credit we made it tough for him to leave financially and also support wise as well. Maybe the decreased attendance was due to Dan becoming stale- I'm not sure. It did seem like we had to play more than our fair share of games at 11 AM and I don't think having the Egg Bowl on Thanksgiving helped attendance much either. Those were certainly factors as well.

Todd4State
11-29-2017, 11:12 PM
Oh no doubt. I agree completely. Steve is my favorite MSU media guy. I'm just saying he well connected in a ton of areas. I trust him more than most. I'm just saying he is better with recruiting and the OM stuff than he is with this kind of stuff because he doesn't have very good sources in the bryan building.

Honestly- like Steve and he has endeared himself with the Ole Miss investigation. But that's probably because he has burned MSU in the past by trying to get the "scoop" out and supporting Byron DeVinner. Now that Paul and Gene's site have merged hopefully things will change for the better now that they aren't competing with each other.

Todd4State
11-29-2017, 11:15 PM
Don was there laughing it up with fat Luke while they were trying to fix Fitz's mangled ankle and didn't do shit..
Stood on the sideline while they took cheap shot after cheap shot waiting for the clock to hit zero.
He quit on this team and that's a fact.

That bothered me too. Ole Miss was taking cheap shot after cheap shot- and I want a coach that will be up in the official's face protecting our players if that ever happens again. If the officials start calling it they will stop. Even if you get a flag like Dabo Swinney did in the Clemson/South Carolina game because USCe fans were throwing bottles at the Clemson players.