PDA

View Full Version : Cohen on Head to Head just now...

OxfordDog
11-29-2017, 06:42 PM
?About halfway through the season it became apparent to me that we could lose Dan Mullen...?

Did I just hear that correctly? Hmmmm....

Coach34
11-29-2017, 06:43 PM
Yes- he also said it on the radio at lunch today.

msbulldog
11-29-2017, 06:44 PM
That's why 'In Cohen We Trust'!

Tbonewannabe
11-29-2017, 06:56 PM
Makes you wonder about all those rumors he was shopping himself around at the end of almost every season. He was in very serious talks with Maryland before the Miami job came open. Scott Van Pelt told one of my friends that Maryland was starting to negotiate with him when he tried to slow play them when the Miami and UGA jobs came open. It seems like he wanted out of the SEC West. I guess it was too much for his ego to get dominated by Saban every year.

msbulldog
11-29-2017, 07:01 PM
Now he's got LSU, Georgia and FSU annually now.

RocketDawg
11-29-2017, 07:04 PM
Makes you wonder about all those rumors he was shopping himself around at the end of almost every season. He was in very serious talks with Maryland before the Miami job came open. Scott Van Pelt told one of my friends that Maryland was starting to negotiate with him when he tried to slow play them when the Miami and UGA jobs came open. It seems like he wanted out of the SEC West. I guess it was too much for his ego to get dominated by Saban every year.

If that's the case, the Tennessee was never an option. They play them once a year just like we do. And it's not impossible that they might play them twice a year at times.

HA1LSTATE
11-29-2017, 07:06 PM
Super impressed with Cohen!!! Program in great hands...lateral damage may not even scar up at this pace...

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2017, 07:07 PM
?About halfway through the season it became apparent to me that we could lose Dan Mullen...?

As quick as we moved you had think that was the case.

Tbonewannabe
11-29-2017, 07:08 PM
If that's the case, the Tennessee was never an option. They play them once a year just like we do. And it's not impossible that they might play them twice a year at times.

I don't really know why he wanted to leave. I just have a friend that works with SVP and he thought Maryland just about had him wrapped up a couple of years ago but didn't want to get strung along with him trying to get Miami or UGA. I don't know if the other times it was rumored if he was really looking around but that time was definitely real.

RocketDawg
11-29-2017, 07:13 PM
I don't really know why he wanted to leave. I just have a friend that works with SVP and he thought Maryland just about had him wrapped up a couple of years ago but didn't want to get strung along with him trying to get Miami or UGA. I don't know if the other times it was rumored if he was really looking around but that time was definitely real.

I think it's one thing ... he wants to work himself into being one of the, if not THE, highest paid coach in the country. It's not the money ... a person can live as well on $5M a year as he can on 10. It's an ego thing ... wants to be in first place on that infamous list.

TrapGame
11-29-2017, 07:15 PM

Really?...that would coincide with him first telling the announcers he was 100% staying.

Coach34
11-29-2017, 07:17 PM
Ive tried to tell you guys he’s been trying to leave but all I got was “agenda”.

Mullen almost took the Maryland job but was waiting on Miami and Georgia
He tried like hell to get the Georgia job
He all but had the Miami job locked down until Richt snaked him
The press conference Tenn called Sunday was for him and then Florida slid in and stole him

He basically took the 1st job he was offered to move on

msstatelp1
11-29-2017, 07:55 PM
I think it's one thing ... he wants to work himself into being one of the, if not THE, highest paid coach in the country. It's not the money ... a person can live as well on $5M a year as he can on 10. It's an ego thing ... wants to be in first place on that infamous list.

He's never gonna be the highest paid unless he wins a lot of championships and that ain't happening.

BrunswickDawg
11-29-2017, 08:31 PM
Ive tried to tell you guys he?s been trying to leave but all I got was ?agenda?.

The press conference Tenn called Sunday was for him and then Florida slid in and stole him

I?m going to have to admit - and I can?t believe I have to type this - you were right.

I think what is hard to fathom for us is that we were a means to an end. We were being used all along. Dan didn?t want to be here. Never did. He?s the hot chick who not matter how much wining and dining you do she just strings you along until the slightly taller, better looking guy in a Corvette shows up. That sucked in college, and it sucks more when your football coach is stringing you like that.

You can see it in the way the Country Club is out recruiting. More recruiting in 3 days then those asses did in 9 years. Dan is even playing hoops with croots in ugly ass Jumpmen23s. It?s sickening.

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2017, 08:40 PM
Ive tried to tell you guys he?s been trying to leave but all I got was ?agenda?.

Why would he have wanted the Maryland job over MSU. That one never made any sense to me.

HaggardDawg
11-29-2017, 08:47 PM
I?ve said this for years. Everyone on his staff knew in 2010 that Georgia was his ultimate dream job. He was arrogant enough to let people know that around our program. It?s one thing for it to be his dream job and he keep it to himself, but for all of his staff to know that because he talked about it is bush league. It?s part of the reason he sucked at recruiting. Don has the worst poker face. There?s no way he was sellling out of state kids on coming to Starkville with his disengenuous bullshi.

DLGDawg
11-29-2017, 08:49 PM
Why would he have wanted the Maryland job over MSU. That one never made any sense to me.

I followed the Maryland 247 board a good bit during that time. Basically the under armor guy is Maryland alum. They wanted a splash hire and try and replicate what Oregon had done with Nike.
Their mods were quite sure they had Mullen.

Dawgology
11-29-2017, 08:49 PM
Now he's got LSU, Georgia and FSU annually now.

He basically traded Bama and Auburn for FSU and GA...LULZ!!! He will be lucky to go 9-3 next year will probably be 8-4 at FL. If he follows that up with a second 8-4/9-3 season his seat will be very warm.

thedawginme
11-29-2017, 08:51 PM

You all are over-thinking this. When Florida (obvious DM dream job) started going down the tank this season, it became obvious to Cohen there was a chance DM would get offered that job. DM has been waiting for a top tier job to open and Cohen read the tea leaves this season.

Commercecomet24
11-29-2017, 08:52 PM
Do y?all know with graduation that Florida will only have 53 scholarship players on the roster.? Dan got a big job ahead

Coach34
11-29-2017, 08:55 PM
I?m going to have to admit - and I can?t believe I have to type this - you were right.

I appreciate you being man enough to do it. Not many left around here would.

Ive attached my life to State and have to deal with BS from OM people in my work because of this website. Anybody doubting my commitment to Miss State is simply a fool.

maroonmania
11-29-2017, 08:55 PM

I know he wanted to move on, I guess I just don't really understand the timing. After Dak left it was an obvious rebuild for a year or two so wanting to leave then made sense. Next year should be the best team Mullen has ever had at MSU so why be so hell bent on getting out now? Would have made more sense if he had planned to leave after the 2018 season when Fitz leaves and we lose a good many other SRs and draftable JRs. Sounds like he would have taken just about any decent job outside of the SEC West and there are plenty of those that open up every year. He actually had a chance to finally accomplish something of real significance at MSU next year which is something we've been waiting 9 years for.

BrunswickDawg
11-29-2017, 08:58 PM
Do y?all know with graduation that Florida will only have 53 scholarship players on the roster.? Dan got a big job ahead
That?s what happens when you have a bunch of criminals in the program. You never know how many you are going to have to boot or when. I?ll interested to see how many Aaron Hernandez types Dan gets to deal with and how many more them he recruits.