PDA

View Full Version : Losing Egg Bowl May Have Worked In Our Favor

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2017, 12:33 PM
According to Wolken, OM was prepared to hire the NC State coach before Egg Bowl but instead decided on Luke after the game.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/acc/2017/11/29/dave-doeren-nc-state-contentious-contract-negotiations/905452001/

The NC State coach is pretty good. Kind of glad OM settled for Luke.

Mullen was leaving either way.

Leroy Jenkins
11-29-2017, 12:35 PM

He left before the game kicked off.

Tailgate Superstar
11-29-2017, 12:37 PM
I had this same thought this morning. As much as losing the Egg Bowl hurt, it has the potential to really help us in the long run.

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2017, 12:38 PM
They weren't getting anybody other than Luke.

msstate7
11-29-2017, 12:39 PM
If true, OM fans will be calling for Bjork to be fired

LC Dawg
11-29-2017, 12:41 PM
Those people can't get out of their own way.
I really think this is just another way for Wolken to troll Ole Miss fans. He really enjoys screwing with them.

lefty96
11-29-2017, 12:41 PM
If true, OM fans will be calling for Bjork to be fired
Plenty are.

Cooterpoot
11-29-2017, 12:46 PM
He's trolling OM. No way would he leave NC State for that train wreck. They may have been offering it, but he wasn't going to take it.

Commercecomet24
11-29-2017, 12:50 PM
Yeah I think Wolken must be messing with them. I couldn't see them getting anyone but Luke. Place is radioactive.

RocketDawg
11-29-2017, 12:56 PM
I think a coach would have to be pretty desperate to take the OM job. He'd have to have been fired from somewhere with no prospects in sight. Luke was all they could get. And he'll probably be fairly good for them ... at least he's dedicated to the school like no one else possibly could be. 6-6 is probably a normal year for them in the future. Or maybe 5-7.

NCDawg
11-29-2017, 12:58 PM
I had this same thought this morning. As much as losing the Egg Bowl hurt, it has the potential to really help us in the long run.

Losing to Ole Miss never helps us in anything. Reminds me of when Croom stated that losing to Maine would help us in the long run.

MadDawg
11-29-2017, 12:58 PM
OM panicked and hired Luke because they didn't want to be looking for coach the same time we were.

MagicDawg
11-29-2017, 01:00 PM
Silver linings, maybe, but it's still a cloud in my opinion.

ShotgunDawg
11-29-2017, 01:03 PM
Losing to Ole Miss never helps us in anything. Reminds me of when Croom stated that losing to Maine would help us in the long run.

True but we hardly lost straight up. QB broke his leg and had 5 turnovers.

I’m hardly embarrassed by the loss. Any reasonable football fan would understand the fluke

bluelightstar
11-29-2017, 01:05 PM
surely they weren't really silly enough to make their hiring/firing decision on the result of 1 game

Commercecomet24
11-29-2017, 01:07 PM
True but we hardly lost straight up. QB broke his leg and had 5 turnovers.

I’m hardly embarrassed by the loss. Any reasonable football fan would understand the fluke

The losing sucks no matter what. However it took a cheap shot to take out our qb, ole lateral moves head was in gainesville and 5 tos to beat us by 3 points. Think about that. All that going against us and our players still managed to make it that close when our hc had already checked out. Says a lot about what kind of players we have and their character!

Doggie_Style
11-29-2017, 01:11 PM
OM panicked and hired Luke because they didn't want to be looking for coach the same time we were.

Honestly Ole Miss hired the best available coach that was willing to take on that flaming sack of shit program. They called a lot of people and got nothing but ring-tones.

TrapGame
11-29-2017, 01:20 PM
Honestly Ole Miss hired the best available coach that was willing to take on that flaming sack of shit program. They called a lot of people and got nothing but ring-tones.

Yep, I heard a pretty good rumor that most of the agents they called never called them back.

Commercecomet24
11-29-2017, 01:23 PM
You gotta think if UT can't find a coach how in the heck could unm get one.

BuckyIsAB****
11-29-2017, 01:26 PM
Yeah I dont believe that

1bigdawg
11-29-2017, 01:34 PM
This is just as true as Freeze turning down the Florida job.

OxfordDog
11-29-2017, 01:36 PM
This actually is true, according to very good OM sources who would definitely know. Specifically, the hiring was squashed by Vitter (the Chancellor) himself, who overruled Bjork's courting of the NC State coach stating, among other things, that hiring Doeren wasn't "sexy enough." This from a man who wears transitions lenses...

(the icon on this post is Vitter just after walking out of the Lyceum)

yjnkdawg
11-29-2017, 01:41 PM
According to Wolken, OM was prepared to hire the NC State coach before Egg Bowl but instead decided on Luke after the game.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/acc/2017/11/29/dave-doeren-nc-state-contentious-contract-negotiations/905452001/

NOw when an AD (Bjork) said he had dialogue with several potential HC candidates, now that is some serious stuff lol.

Mullen had originally planned on staying here for 2 or maybe 3 years. This was just a stepping stone for him.

TrapGame
11-29-2017, 01:42 PM
This actually is true. According to very good OM sources. Specifically, the hiring was squashed by Vitter (the Chancellor) himself, who overruled Bjork's courting of the NC State coach stating, among other things, that hiring Doeren wasn't "sexy enough." This from a man who wears transitions lenses...

(the icon with this post is Vitter just after walking out of the Lyceum)

And Matt Luke is a sexy beast!***

yjnkdawg
11-29-2017, 01:47 PM
This is just as true as Freeze turning down the Florida job.

LOL Yeah, the job offer that never happened. All the talk got Freeze a good raise though. In pops Jimmy Sexton.

yjnkdawg
11-29-2017, 01:49 PM
And Matt Luke is a sexy beast!***

I still wish I had the hair on his head! LOL

OxfordDog
11-29-2017, 01:52 PM
Story is this: Bjork had decided on Doeren and Doeren had every reason to believe that the job was as good as his. Final decision was put on the Chancellor's desk about a week before the Egg Bowl. Bjork approached the Chancellor on Monday of this week for a final answer, but was told by the Chancellor that Luke was going to be the man.

Apparently the "powers that be" lit up the Lyceum after the Egg Bowl, demanding that Luke get the job. The Chancellor either acquiesced or agreed with the donors/alums and overruled Bjork. Luke is Vitter's hire, for better or for worse.

Lord McBuckethead
11-29-2017, 01:53 PM
He's trolling OM. No way would he leave NC State for that train wreck. They may have been offering it, but he wasn't going to take it.

Heard they offered Bill Parcels too. He didn't have to turn them down, they chose Luke before he could.

dawgs
11-29-2017, 01:54 PM
I think a coach would have to be pretty desperate to take the OM job. He'd have to have been fired from somewhere with no prospects in sight. Luke was all they could get. And he'll probably be fairly good for them ... at least he's dedicated to the school like no one else possibly could be. 6-6 is probably a normal year for them in the future. Or maybe 5-7.

When the transfer gates open and they lose 30 or so scholarships over 3 cycles, they?ll be reminiscing about the good ol? days of 5-7.

Honestly, imo it would?ve been financially irresponsible for them to spend $4M+ on a coach to go 2-10 for the next 5 seasons. Pay Luke a fraction of that, stick the rest in an investment fund and let it grow and use the extra $$ to pay the next coach they?ll be able to realistically hire with light at the end of the tunnel. They are gonna be like the Kansas of the sec for the next half decade though and any coach with ambition and a future isn?t gonna sniff that job for awhile though.

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2017, 01:57 PM
surely they weren't really silly enough to make their hiring/firing decision on the result of 1 game

They were afraid that once the sanctions came out that they couldn?t get Luke either.

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2017, 01:59 PM
Story is this: Bjork had decided on Doeren and Doeren had every reason to believe that the job was as good as his. Final decision was put on the Chancellor's desk about a week before the Egg Bowl. Bjork approached the Chancellor on Monday of this week for a final answer, but was told by the Chancellor that Luke was going to be the man.

Apparently the "powers that be" lit up the Lyceum after the Egg Bowl, demanding that Luke get the job. The Chancellor either acquiesced or agreed with the donors/alums an overruled Bjork. Luke is Vitter's hire, for better or for worse.
If that’s the case then look for the cheating not to stop. It may even accelerate.

Really Clark?
11-29-2017, 01:59 PM
When the transfer gates open and they lose 30 or so scholarships over 3 cycles, they?ll be reminiscing about the good ol? days of 5-7.

Honestly, imo it would?ve been financially irresponsible for them to spend $4M+ on a coach to go 2-10 for the next 5 seasons. Pay Luke a fraction of that, stick the rest in an investment fund and let it grow and use the extra $$ to pay the next coach they?ll be able to realistically hire with light at the end of the tunnel. They are gonna be like the Kansas of the sec for the next half decade though and any coach with ambition and a future isn?t gonna sniff that job for awhile though.

They are paying Luke $3.5 MIL

Spiderman
11-29-2017, 02:41 PM

Was prepared to offer, it should have said, not hire

Spiderman
11-29-2017, 02:55 PM
They weren't getting anybody other than Luke.

yep

Spiderman
11-29-2017, 02:56 PM

A-Damn-Men

Todd4State
11-29-2017, 03:06 PM

Apparently the "powers that be" lit up the Lyceum after the Egg Bowl, demanding that Luke get the job. The Chancellor either acquiesced or agreed with the donors/alums and overruled Bjork. Luke is Vitter's hire, for better or for worse.

The almuni still running things at Ole Miss? You don't say.**

That is how they end up on probation with a guy who had the most unsustainable .500 season in the SEC since Croom in 2007 and we end up with one of the best offensive minds in America.

My only question is why on Earth would Doeren want that job?

shannondawg
11-29-2017, 03:15 PM
As my friend said. Luke is the lowest paid and also the most overpaid coach in the SEC.

Todd4State
11-29-2017, 03:19 PM
If that’s the case then look for the cheating not to stop. It may even accelerate.

They're never going to stop cheating even if they get the death penalty. It won't accelerate- they know the truth and that they can't just go stealing recruits from Bama, Georgia, and etc. now. They're going to be on repeat violator status for awhile and they can't afford to get caught. Their only hope is to try to bring us down with them- which has already started. I don't think it will work this time but we'll see.

What happened this year is about like us winning the Egg Bowl in 2001. Yeah- it was great to win it but it also probably kept Jackie around another year and forced us to start rebuilding a year later.

As for them- yeah I'm sure it was fun to win the Egg Bowl but at the same time they embarrassed their program with their dirty play and anyone that knows anything about football knows that we win that game with Fitzgerald. You know it's bad when they send out a letter or apology. Plus, they know the hammer is about to fall on their program. They're being propped up by their 2016 class and the rumor is now that Deontay Anderson has been granted his release that 11 more players have retained Tom Mars service- if that is true those players will also be granted their full release as well.

Luke won't win there if for no other reason he won't have the players to do so and he won't have both Kentucky and Vanderbilt on the schedule every year. So, what happens then when they start having 2-3 win seasons and aren't able to successfully hurt Key in the Egg Bowl? History has shown us that they are going to get pissed off at Luke and probably fire him and then what? Or they keep him and they are stuck with him and never really do anything and it ends up creating a rift among their fans.

Jack Lambert
11-29-2017, 03:20 PM
Why would NC State coach go to Ole Miss? Give me the positives of it.

iPat09
11-29-2017, 03:27 PM
Why would NC State coach go to Ole Miss? Give me the positives of it.

The Grove***

was21
11-29-2017, 03:28 PM
From what I understand, NC State has been trying to get rid of him for awhile, so maybe it didn't work in our favor. Luke may be better than him

lastmajordog
11-29-2017, 03:57 PM
delete