PDA

View Full Version : Expectations?

BB30
11-29-2017, 09:22 AM
Just curious as to what yalls expectations are on the football field? This is a completely different situation than what Mullen walked into. We knew we would have to be patient with Mullen and let him build the program and learn as he went.

Our program is in a different place now. Did we have the patience with Mullen just because we knew we would have too? Will we have that same kind of patience with Joe?

ScoobaDawg
11-29-2017, 09:29 AM
Wayyy too early to know... A) we don't officially have a coach yet or more importantly a staff. B) we have no idea who will be at ark or Tam next year.

Most importantly we have to know if Fitz bunches back and isn't delayed in his progression of learning to be a better passer with this injury.

8-9 should be the standard though. But maybe he shocks the world like he did his first year as Penn states oc...

Tbonewannabe
11-29-2017, 09:31 AM
There will probably be some bumps in the road but if we make a bowl game in his first year then I am happy as long as we don't get dominated and look like our team is low energy. The UGA and AU game where we kept running the same damn plays over and over hoping for a different outcome sucked. Hopefully Coach Moorhead isn't as stubborn with a huge ego as Lateral Move. That was one thing you could count on with LM, if his game plan was good we had a chance to win but if it didn't there was no correction.

Churchill
11-29-2017, 09:36 AM
I guess my immediate question is do we have the receivers to run Joe's offense effectively next year ?

BB30
11-29-2017, 09:37 AM
Yea, this is more along the lines of what I was thinking. Although it is early. I think if Grantham stays we have a better shot at having an 8-9 win season just from a continuity standpoint. If he leaves we will be learning a new offense and defense and that will be a lot to overcome to have a huge season. I am fully expecting some pretty nice sized bumps this first year. Going to K state early now gets quite a bit more interesting.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-29-2017, 09:41 AM
People that were throwing around 10-2 and 11-1 for next year are going to be disappointed i?m afraid. LSU is going to circle us like we?re circling Florida. Auburn and Bama aren?t going anywhere. A&M will have a new coach playing with a good roster. It?s never going to be easy in the sec west. Having said that, yes we can win 10 games, but to throw it out there as a minimum is never a good thing. Throwing a different offense at them will help however. Hopefully, the defense is run correctly.

Tbonewannabe
11-29-2017, 09:41 AM
Yea, this is more along the lines of what I was thinking. Although it is early. I think if Grantham stays we have a better shot at having an 8-9 win season just from a continuity standpoint. If he leaves we will be learning a new offense and defense and that will be a lot to overcome to have a huge season. I am fully expecting some pretty nice sized bumps this first year. Going to K state early now gets quite a bit more interesting.

Another reason that I would like to try and run our new offense (as much as possible) in the bowl game. It would give us basically another spring practice to start working on it. I want to win the bowl game but if we get the practice in live action before next year, that is more important. That would basically give us another game before going to KSU.

Tbonewannabe
11-29-2017, 09:44 AM
People that were throwing around 10-2 and 11-1 for next year are going to be disappointed i?m afraid. LSU is going to circle us like we?re circling Florida. Auburn and Bama aren?t going anywhere. A&M will have a new coach playing with a good roster. It?s never going to be easy in the sec west. Having said that, yes we can win 10 games, but to throw it out there as a minimum is never a good thing.

I am not sure we should ever set 10 wins as a minimum. At this point 6 wins is kind of our floor with 7-8 being a normal season. Anything above 8 is gravy unless Coach Mo is the offensive version of Saban.

Dawgology
11-29-2017, 09:44 AM
I will accept no less than 7-8 wins with our returning talent and the schedule we have...even though it is his first year we have a very manageable schedule for once.

lefty96
11-29-2017, 09:48 AM
I am not sure we should ever set 10 wins as a minimum. At this point 6 wins is kind of our floor with 7-8 being a normal season. Anything above 8 is gravy unless Coach Mo is the offensive version of Saban.

Agreed. And with a new coach who is also a first time HC - I'm more interested next year in seeing how quickly the team takes up the offense, etc than anything.

BB30
11-29-2017, 09:50 AM
Another reason that I would like to try and run our new offense (as much as possible) in the bowl game. It would give us basically another spring practice to start working on it. I want to win the bowl game but if we get the practice in live action before next year, that is more important. That would basically give us another game before going to KSU.

Yea, I'm not sure he coaches the bowl, we will see. I don't know if I have ever seen a new coach coach a bowl game. He would basically only be implementing the base stuff and I would be fine with that if he feels he can get enough install in before the bowl. I am torn on him coaching the bowl or not. I don't want his first game being a sloppy ugly bowl game because we rushed on getting some base stuff learned and he doesn't have his entire offensive staff in place. What ever coaches he brings in will also have some learning to do on the system I would assume. Hard to teach something you don't know. If it is going to be sloppy and ugly I would prefer it be with the old guys running the show.

BulldogBear
11-29-2017, 09:59 AM
Who the heck would coach the bowl? Grantham if he stays but who else?

DLGDawg
11-29-2017, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE=

Most importantly we have to know if Fitz bunches back and isn't delayed in his progression of learning to be a better passer with this injury. ...[/QUOTE]

One thing....he can drive into muscle memory throwing off his front leg. Can do a lot of drills w out using that right leg.

BulldogDX55
11-29-2017, 10:12 AM
Oddly enough, Moorhead developed his offensive system to benefit his star QB at Fordham who had just had a gratuitous knee injury. Hell of a coincidence.

msstatelp1
11-29-2017, 10:26 AM
Yea, I'm not sure he coaches the bowl, we will see. I don't know if I have ever seen a new coach coach a bowl game. He would basically only be implementing the base stuff and I would be fine with that if he feels he can get enough install in before the bowl. I am torn on him coaching the bowl or not. I don't want his first game being a sloppy ugly bowl game because we rushed on getting some base stuff learned and he doesn't have his entire offensive staff in place. What ever coaches he brings in will also have some learning to do on the system I would assume. Hard to teach something you don't know. If it is going to be sloppy and ugly I would prefer it be with the old guys running the show.

If he coaches the bowl game I bet he adapts to our system for this one game. It'll be easier than trying to get everyone else up to speed with his. Save his system for the spring.

Commercecomet24
11-29-2017, 10:28 AM

Cutcliff did it at unm(Independence Bowl, I believe) and they actually won.

Commercecomet24
11-29-2017, 10:32 AM
Here's the thing about Coach Moorhead: He embraces expectations. I read an article last night about when he first got to Penn State they were questioning him about turning the offense around, expectations, etc.. His reply, "hey this is penn state we are supposed to be good at football, i welcome the expectations because I expect it as well", "we aren't gonna run from expectations , we are gonna embrace them". Here's a man who's supremely confident and not afraid of expectations either. If he's not afraid to expect big things maybe we shouldn't be either.

ETA Another thing about Coach Moorhead. Great with the media, the media love him. He is a former sportswriter and he knows how to play their game

Coach007
11-29-2017, 10:36 AM
I guess my immediate question is do we have the receivers to run Joe's offense effectively next year ?

Yes we do. Several stepped up. With Moorhead will keep those WRs. There is a huge excitement in this class now.

TXDawg
11-29-2017, 10:38 AM
He's got to get on campus soon for the early signing period. If he's here for that, it would certainly make sense for him to coach the bowl game.

Coach007
11-29-2017, 10:40 AM
People that were throwing around 10-2 and 11-1 for next year are going to be disappointed i?m afraid. LSU is going to circle us like we?re circling Florida. Auburn and Bama aren?t going anywhere. A&M will have a new coach playing with a good roster. It?s never going to be easy in the sec west. Having said that, yes we can win 10 games, but to throw it out there as a minimum is never a good thing. Throwing a different offense at them will help however. Hopefully, the defense is run correctly.

Sorry.... we already have the best defenses in the nation be it Grantham or Brown. We have the players.

Nobody will blow us off the field.

We will have the best offense we have had since Dan Mullen. 10-2 is the bottom!!!!

chef dixon
11-29-2017, 10:52 AM
Not to rain on the whole parade but there will be big growing pains.

You do realize Fitz, who already has not progressed astronomically in 4 years as a passer, has to learn a new offense with a broken ankle?

I think we are putting too much stock into next season. I think Key in 2 years could be deadly if we fill the WR position in the mean time.

BB30
11-29-2017, 10:56 AM
Sorry.... we already have the best defenses in the nation be it Grantham or Brown. We have the players.

Nobody will blow us off the field.

We will have the best offense we have had since Dan Mullen. 10-2 is the bottom!!!!

Your setting yourself up for disappointment. I figure coming from a coach you would realize that there will be a transition period and we will probably lose a game or two that we shouldn't due to that. If we have a new DC this will be the 3rd one for some, and 4th for some. That is a lot to overcome for any team. Is it possible we win 10 games yes, probable, no. Give the coach some time, if he can come in and win 8 games this year that is a win in my book. I don't see us taking much of if any steps back once he gets everything rolling his way but it will take some time.