PDA

View Full Version : Im VERY excited about Moorhead- yall calm down with other stuff

Behrdawg
11-29-2017, 07:56 AM
Look, this business about ?not having southern ties? is dumb. This isn?t 1860. Moorhead is a stud offensive mastermind. He?s going to fit right in with our current talent. Grantham MAY stay. I?ll tell y?all this- his wife and son love Starkville. His son is playing for the State championship this Friday night and His son wants to finish High School here.

The chance of him leaving is still great. But Cohen is doing it right. His assistants budget will most likely be the largest we?ve ever seen. That?s another plus in the Grantham column.

Get over this ?non-southern? dumb shit. This hire is awesome. What most fans don?t understand. Mullen according to the recruiting analytics was a B+ recruiter. Most MSU people got caught up in Freeze smoke & mirrors bullshit. Mullen moved the needle 9 spots in comp recruiting compared to the previous 4 yr avg prior to his arrival. Moorhead will get some ?southern guys? around him. Cohen values brains, competitiveness & recruiting.

Welcome to MSU Coach Moorhead. Go ahead and circle Sept 29, 2018- please. HAIL STATE!!

Dawgface
11-29-2017, 08:17 AM
Saban, Meyer and Franklin are all northern guys. Mullen too other than his stint in FL before coming here. Northern ties don't bother me. Just hope we get a good DC and we will be good.

lefty96
11-29-2017, 08:35 AM
Look, this business about ?not having southern ties? is dumb.

Amen, that is some lame sh*t.

BulldogBear
11-29-2017, 08:37 AM
Great post OP

Dawgowar
11-29-2017, 08:47 AM
Concur 100%!!!

Bubb Rubb
11-29-2017, 09:16 AM
"southern ties" doesn't need to have a backwoods, racist connotation as you suggest.

It can mean that he has no recruiting ties or relationships built in this region. That's what most people refer to when they say he has no southern ties. That's going to be a significant hurdle for him to overcome, but he can do it with the right people around him. Soon enough, his system will start to recruit itself. But don't dismiss his lack of connections in the south as silly....it's a genuine problem for him to overcome. I trust Cohen though, and he thinks Moorhead is the man for the job, so I'm down with it.

Thick
11-29-2017, 10:15 AM
Grantham?s gone. Don Brown is probably the new DC, just like the previous posts have stated. They are long time friends, and trust one another. One thing that Todd stated earlier is John Cohen lived for recruiting as much as he lived for playing/coaching the game. Rest assured, Cohen emphasized that extensively. Who?s to say that we aren?t going to recruit more in the east and northeast part of the US? This hire could open us up for a much broader recruiting footprint. Everybody acts like we have to recruit and sign the south. I?m just saying to think of the opportunities this opens up for us in other parts of the country.

Bubb Rubb
11-29-2017, 10:24 AM
Grantham?s gone. Don Brown is probably the new DC, just like the previous posts have stated. They are long time friends, and trust one another. One thing that Todd stated earlier is John Cohen lived for recruiting as much as he lived for playing/coaching the game. Rest assured, Cohen emphasized that extensively. Who?s to say that we aren?t going to recruit more in the east and northeast part of the US? This hire could open us up for a much broader recruiting footprint. Everybody acts like we have to recruit and sign the south. I?m just saying to think of the opportunities this opens up for us in other parts of the country.

I agree that our footprint could expand to other parts of the country and that's exciting. Recruiting your own backyard is still the priority though.

Thick
11-29-2017, 10:42 AM
I agree Bubb, and I think his success will open eyes locally as well.

BulldogDX55
11-29-2017, 10:51 AM
The PSU folks on their 24/7 site are super confused as to why it seems half of our fan base hates this hire.

MeridianDog
11-29-2017, 11:01 AM
Evidently (from a day or two back and what someone else posted) He must learn to eat Chitterlings to make it here.

Biggest crock of bull---- I ever read anywhere.

Might need to learn how to eat BBQ and catfish, but that is just my ignorance coming out.

He will hire a staff that gives the program his flavor and emphasis, and we will be fine - because we will be Moorhead-1 and not Mullen-2.

(I said I would stop using his name and already I used it - so disappointed in myself)

Johnson85
11-29-2017, 11:06 AM
"southern ties" doesn't need to have a backwoods, racist connotation as you suggest.

It can mean that he has no recruiting ties or relationships built in this region. That's what most people refer to when they say he has no southern ties. That's going to be a significant hurdle for him to overcome, but he can do it with the right people around him. Soon enough, his system will start to recruit itself. But don't dismiss his lack of connections in the south as silly....it's a genuine problem for him to overcome. I trust Cohen though, and he thinks Moorhead is the man for the job, so I'm down with it.

That would have been true in the past, but don't we have like three different people whose only job really is to maintain relationships with high school coaches?

I mean, yes, it would be better if all of his coaching relationships were with coaches already recruiting the southeast, but I'm not sure it's that big of a deal. We have a few recruits that are due to Mullen that will be gone, but we still get a lot of our recruits based primarily on proximity. Ole Miss is not a threat right now and a lot of our recruits may not have Bama offers. THe main thing for us is locking down Heath and Guidry for next year just because WR is such a big need. Either of them should actually be more excited about playing in Moorhead's offense. Guidry because of his insistence on forcing defenses to cover the outside deep ball (and LSU doesn't have a qb that can even throw the deep ball) and Heath because we'll throw the ball more over the next four years than Florida.

Political Hack
11-29-2017, 11:26 AM
We’ve never had a problem recruiting the defensive side of the ball and there’s probably not that many kids in the country who wouldn’t consider playing in his offense in the SEC West. When you look at new hires you have to consider their ceiling and their floor.

The floor is probably right around where we are now.. 6-8 wins a year. That’s not going to change unless Saban reincarnates himself and coaches A&M & Arkansas too. We will win 3-4 OOC games, likely win UK & OM for the foreseeable future, and have a shot against A&M, LSU, and Arkansas most years. Auburn and Bama are tough to catch right now. We can do that with the offensive players we’ve been recruiting. He will get great QBs, or develop them. And he’ll keep getting great RBs. Never been a problem at State and every high school football player in the nation knows who Sequan is.

The ceiling is exponentially higher with JoMo (<—— coined here marketing department. We will still use that just like “DakAttack” however the hell we want). His offense provides match ups across the board. It’s a lot like an NFL offense in that you can attack a weak link, but you don’t have to have 800 different plays to do it. You can run the same freaking play out of 3-4 different sets and decimate a weak link by going through the progression. Also, he’s always got an outlet man to negate negative plays. His system is brilliant. With our QBs and RBs, we are going to be very good. If we can get some production out of matchups with our WRs, we can be elite. Mullen couldn’t recruit a WR to save his life. So, if JoMo can’t, we’re right back where we were. If he can, we’ll take the next step and possibly pass what Mullen had accomplished. I suspect there will be the same churn at DC until we find some stability, which we never did under Mullen. I’m hopeful that will change because we’ve got stud athletes on that side of the ball growing on trees in MS. I think his ceiling is being a 9-10 win a season coach with a chance to push to ATL every few years. If we win in ATL, you play for a Natty. I think we’ll have the offense to do that, just need to go get a DC that can keep the momentum going.

Tbonewannabe
11-29-2017, 11:29 AM
Evidently (from a day or two back and what someone else posted) He must learn to eat Chitterlings to make it here.

Biggest crock of bull---- I ever read anywhere.

Might need to learn how to eat BBQ and catfish, but that is just my ignorance coming out.

He will hire a staff that gives the program his flavor and emphasis, and we will be fine - because we will be Moorhead-1 and not Mullen-2.

(I said I would stop using his name and already I used it - so disappointed in myself)

Apparently I need to turn in my Southern card since I have never eaten them and don't plan on it. Those things are disgusting.

Tbonewannabe
11-29-2017, 11:33 AM
We’ve never had a problem recruiting the defensive side of the ball and there’s probably not that many kids in the country who wouldn’t consider playing in his offense in the SEC West. When you look at new hires you have to consider their ceiling and their floor.

The floor is probably right around where we are now.. 6-8 wins a year. That’s not going to change unless Saban reincarnates himself and coaches A&M & Arkansas too. We will win 3-4 OOC games, likely win UK & OM for the foreseeable future, and have a shot against A&M, LSU, and Arkansas most years. Auburn and Bama are tough to catch right now. We can do that with the offensive players we’ve been recruiting. He will get great QBs, or develop them. And he’ll keep getting great RBs. Never been a problem at State and every high school football player in the nation knows who Sequan is.

The ceiling is exponentially higher with JoMo (<—— coined here marketing department. We will still use that just like “DakAttack” however the hell we want). His offense provides match ups across the board. It’s a lot like an NFL offense in that you can attack a weak link, but you don’t have to have 800 different plays to do it. You can run the same freaking play out of 3-4 different sets and decimate a weak link by going through the progression. Also, he’s always got an outlet man to negate negative plays. His system is brilliant. With our QBs and RBs, we are going to be very good. If we can get some production out of matchups with our WRs, we can be elite. Mullen couldn’t recruit a WR to save his life. So, if JoMo can’t, we’re right back where we were. If he can, we’ll take the next step and possibly pass what Mullen had accomplished. I suspect there will be the same churn at DC until we find some stability, which we never did under Lateral Move. I’m hopeful that will change because we’ve got stud athletes on that side of the ball growing on trees in MS. I think his ceiling is being a 9-10 win a season coach with a chance to push to ATL every few years. If we win in ATL, you play for a Natty. I think we’ll have the offense to do that, just need to go get a DC that can keep the momentum going.

Didn't DCs clash with Lateral because unless you were in the Country Club, he was a dick to work for. I am not sure if that was truly the issue but it seemed that way.

iPat09
11-29-2017, 11:33 AM
Apparently I need to turn in my Southern card since I have never eaten them and don't plan on it. Those things are disgusting.

No idea what they even are. And don't even want to know.

Tbonewannabe
11-29-2017, 11:37 AM
No idea what they even are. And don't even want to know.

Pig intenstines, you are welcome. My employees told me it was very important to clean them out and to soak them so you didn't have shit in your food. Why anyone that isn't starving to death would eat them, I have no clue.

Political Hack
11-29-2017, 11:43 AM
Didn't DCs clash with Lateral because unless you were in the Country Club, he was a dick to work for. I am not sure if that was truly the issue but it seemed that way.

Yeah they did. When we had Co-DC’s he’d actually let them both pitch a game plan to him and decide on the spot. At least I know that’s happened at times, but not sure it was ever week. Talk about creating a hostile environment within your defensive staff... he had them competing to see which scheme to use which means partnof our game planning week our staff was split working on how different schemes would work. Probably didn’t eat a lot of time, but that’s a crap way to build and develop continuity in the staff.