PDA

View Full Version : My Thoughts on Joe Moorehead

Todd4State
11-29-2017, 05:14 AM
I go to the games and travel several hours when I do so- which means that a lot of times I'm not as in tune with what's going on around the rest of the country in football. So, I had not heard of Joe Moorehead literally until yesterday. But after I heard that he was a candidate I looked him up and was to my surprise completely blown away. As you saw in my post last night- the guy is very obviously a genius when it comes to football. There were a lot of good candidates and I didn't really have my heart set on anyone in particular- but after reading about Moorehead he became my favorite right away. On the offensive side of the ball, I think he will be an upgrade to Dan. And Dan was good. I like the fact that his passing system is based off of the Bill Walsh West Coast Offense. Now, I know West Coast Offense is a bad word around MSU for obvious reasons- but the truth of the matter is most passing systems are based off of either Bill Walsh or Don Coryell's passing systems- even Dan's. Basically with Bill Walsh's system it is based off of short high percentage throws to stretch the field horizontally. Having heard Moorehead speak, he stressed that he wanted to not only stretch the field horizontally but also vertically as well- which made me VERY happy and excited to hear. We are going to attack defenses vertically- some.

Now that I have scarred everyone for life, the rest of his offense is spread oriented. But based on what I've seen it's a balanced spread. Even though the pass routes may be West Coast, our QB is going to be in the gun and we're going to see a lot of 4-5 WR sets and our running game is going to be the spread option running attack we all are familiar with. There are going to be RPO's. And we'll probably be a little more up tempo than we were under Dan as well. At the end of the day we're going to see a nice balanced attack- but one that is maybe a little different than what people in the SEC are used to seeing. I think it's going to be a lot of fun to watch.

I like the fact that he has actual head coaching experience at the collegiate level. It can't be easy to win at Fordham. Moorehead did. He even beat Army when he was there which was a huge win for the Fordham program. I would imagine that because of the level of talent that they typically get, he probably had to coach them up quite a bit. And he turned them into a 9-10 win program. I know some people are worried about him being from the North- but I'm not. If I told you that we just hired a coach that is a Christian and liked to hunt you would probably immediately say "Yeah- he'll fit". We'll that's the kind of guy we just hired. The other thing about having been a head coach is he has recruited before- so he has had to sell a program before. Hopefully he will continue to make Mississippi his focus and build his staff with people that know the area- Looney and Brad Peterson will help immensely with that and I imagine that they would stay. Dan's issue with recruiting wasn't the fact that he was from the North. It was the fact that he didn't like doing it. He didn't like all the drama. Dan wanted guys to show up to Big Dawg Camp, commit, not take anymore visits and be done with it. I think that's why Dan wanted so many guys to graduate early and was a big proponent of the early NSD- so that he didn't have to "babysit"- ie work- to keep guys. We'll see how Moorehead is with that, but I do know that Cohen liked to recruit as a baseball coach. So, Cohen certainly understands the importance of that and I'm sure it was touched on during interviews. But I am curious to hear what Moorehead's philosophy is on that. Dan was also pretty arrogant and he really needed Megan to smooth things over for him. Moorehead seems to be the opposite.

The other thing about recruiting that I think will help a lot is Ole Miss being down and also on probation. When Dan took over Ole Miss had just gone to the Cotton Bowl and a Network that was ready to spring into action. Without question Ole Miss is going to be down for awhile and with that they are going to have to behave or risk repeat violator status. And I don't know how long it will be for, but there is no doubt that they are going to have fewer scholarships to work with as well. Having a big year and winning 8-10 games (or more) is also going to help as well. What I think Ole Miss's probation will do is allow Moorehead time to make connections and learn the lay of the land without having to suffer through an Army AA Game debacle.

The other question I have is about defense and his philosophy on that. I prefer an aggressive defense like Todd Grantham's. I don't know if we will get Don Brown or not- but if Moorehead likes that kind of philosophy then I am good with that. But like recruiting that is something else I am curious to hear about. Special teams as well- I cringed when I heard that Dan was going to coach special teams back in the day. Thank God he finally gave it up. I do hope we also hire a legit special teams coach as well.

I want to hear what Moorehead has to say about recruiting and defense first- but unless a red flag pops up there, my initial reaction is we got a GREAT coach that I think is going to do really well here and I'm excited to see what he does. I'm optimstic that we upgraded at the very least on the offensive side of the ball.

Hail State!

Dawg61
11-29-2017, 06:38 AM
Don Brown runs a very aggressive defense so if it's him or Grantham there's no worries there. Gotta be honest though, I'd rather have Brown even though I really do like Grantham but the last two plays vs Bama and the 3 big tds given up to Ole Miss on long single plays as well as to UGA and Auburn show a weakness in Grantham's approach. He is susceptible to getting burnt badly on long plays vs decent teams. UGA knew exactly what defense he'd be in before our game even started. That's why they ran a HB flea-flicker for a TD on the very first play. That was a cocky way of telling Grantham they knew him well. If we do keep Grantham it is imperative we get shutdown corners and excellent tackling safeties or we will be cussing 3rd and Grantham for years to come.

Maroonthirteen
11-29-2017, 06:43 AM
State Chicks were bored with checkdown Charlie. Go long Joe is in.

#HailState

Cooterpoot
11-29-2017, 06:47 AM
I think this is a bad hire. I don’t like it. His numbers aren’t as great as I would’ve expected offensively. Sorry, just how I feel about it. I pray he proves me wrong because this could be a disaster if he doesn’t.

Reason2succeed
11-29-2017, 06:59 AM
I think this is a bad hire. I don’t like it. His numbers aren’t as great as I would’ve expected offensively. Sorry, just how I feel about it. I pray he proves me wrong because this could be a disaster if he doesn’t.

What numbers are you looking at because I don’t see any bad ones?

MarketingBully
11-29-2017, 07:12 AM
I think this is a bad hire. I don?t like it. His numbers aren?t as great as I would?ve expected offensively. Sorry, just how I feel about it. I pray he proves me wrong because this could be a disaster if he doesn?t.

You sir are an asshat. That is all. At first I was skeptical but if you actually do your research and understand what we are getting and how he has recruited and how his players love him, you will understand this was a great hire. The fact Don Brown is seriously considering bolting with Moorhead to come here speaks volumes. If Brown comes with Moorhead, we effectively have gotten the best offensive and defensive minds from the Big 10 and weakended that conference considerably. Cohen got his guy and is committed to building the best staff around him as well. I have looked everywhere and the only negative nancy people I have seen have been State fans. Everyone in the industry has said this is a great hire.

Cooterpoot
11-29-2017, 07:12 AM
What numbers are you looking at because I don?t see any bad ones?

They were 28th in offense this year. 7Th in scoring. That?s his best year anywhere.
They were 49th and 28th last year. Plus, he?s a West Coast offense based coach.
Most of his offenses ranked in the 40s nationally.

*edited for crossing up stats
I got to back away for awhile. This is one of those “show me” hires. I need to see the staff and recruiting. It just doesn’t feel like a fit.

Tbonewannabe
11-29-2017, 07:55 AM
They were 28th in offense this year. 7Th in scoring. That?s his best year anywhere.

I got to back away for awhile. This is one of those “show me” hires. I need to see the staff and recruiting. It just doesn’t feel like a fit.

This year broke almost every offensive stat in Penn State history. You must have hated Dan's offense then because only 2014 was better than what Moorhead does consistently. Big10 is also known as a defense league like the SEC.

TrapGame
11-29-2017, 07:59 AM
Joe is from Western Pennsylvania. James Carville famously called Western Pennsylvania "Alabama without the accent."

Let that sink in.

msstatelp1
11-29-2017, 08:43 AM
I think this is a bad hire. I don?t like it. His numbers aren?t as great as I would?ve expected offensively. Sorry, just how I feel about it. I pray he proves me wrong because this could be a disaster if he doesn?t.

All the Big10 fans outside of Penn State seem to be glad he's leaving. That should tell you something.

BrunswickDawg
11-29-2017, 08:49 AM

Dan was a West Coast based offense. While it is a read option run game, Dan's passing game was all about the horizontal, the dump pass, the check down. Why do you think C34 called him Dan Walsh??

From what I read, Moorhead has blended the read option, the RPO, the West Coast and Air Coryell into a single package. It's whole field RPO offense stretching the defense the width AND the length of the field.

Liverpooldawg
11-29-2017, 08:55 AM

Yeah, PSU?s offense has really sucked the last two years.***** If you are going to object, at least have a credible reason.

Really Clark?
11-29-2017, 09:12 AM

You forgot to compare his numbers from the previous 2 years. They were 100th and 113th in scoring and 105th 114th in total offense the 2 years before he arrived at Penn St. Yeah not much improvement in year 1. He also didn't have the right QB for his system in Hackenberg.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-29-2017, 09:14 AM
Good thoughts Todd. Another tidbit to add...JoMo was the OC for UConn when they beat South Carolina in the 2010 Papa Johns bowl and lost to Oklahoma in the 2011 Fiesta Bowl. Good resume.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-29-2017, 09:30 AM
Joe is from Western Pennsylvania. James Carville famously called Western Pennsylvania "Alabama without the accent."

Let that sink in.

If you don't think there is an accent in Western, PA then you have obviously never been there. I like the hire, though. Excited to see what this guy can do with next year's team.

Dawg61
11-29-2017, 01:31 PM

You forgot to compare his numbers from the previous 2 years. They were 100th and 113th in scoring and 105th 114th in total offense the 2 years before he arrived at Penn St. Yeah not much improvement in year 1. He also didn't have the right QB for his system in Hackenberg.

Yea Penn State was struggling big time on offense before Moorhead took it over. They had back to back 7-6 seasons with Franklin before he arrived and then won the B1G outright last year and spent half this season ranked in the top 5. In two years he's taken an offense that was ranked in the 100's to being ranked #7 in the country in scoring. Same players lots more points. This is a great hire! Just look anywhere at anyone else commenting on it and you'll see they are raving about it. Cohen knocked this bitch out the park!

bluelightstar
10-27-2019, 05:47 PM

Let's put you in charge of the next search. Have to say Moorhead fooled so many of us -- me included.

Martianlander
10-27-2019, 06:16 PM
Jo Mo has lost his mo jo.

MarketingBully
10-27-2019, 06:37 PM
You sir are an asshat. That is all. At first I was skeptical but if you actually do your research and understand what we are getting and how he has recruited and how his players love him, you will understand this was a great hire. The fact Don Brown is seriously considering bolting with Moorhead to come here speaks volumes. If Brown comes with Moorhead, we effectively have gotten the best offensive and defensive minds from the Big 10 and weakended that conference considerably. Cohen got his guy and is committed to building the best staff around him as well. I have looked everywhere and the only negative nancy people I have seen have been State fans. Everyone in the industry has said this is a great hire.

Boy I was the asshat here. I did want Bill Clark though which I think CP wouldn’t of liked either lol.