PDA

View Full Version : Coordinator vs current HC hires

Coach34
11-28-2017, 02:55 PM
Let's look at top coaches around the country:

Saban did a solid job at Michigan State after being hired away from the Browns as DC
Meyer was hired at Utah after being a HC at a smaller school
Franklin did well at Vandy after being hired away as an asst at Maryland
Dabo was an asst when he was promoted
Harbaugh was HC at a smaller school before Stanford
Chryst at Wisconsin was a HC at Pitt before
Jimbo was a coordinator before getting the Seminole job
Richt was a coordinator before getting the Georgia job
Mullen was a coordinator before getting the State job
Malzahn was a one year HC before getting the Auburn gig
O has been an interim HC
Boom was a coordinator when Fla hired him
Gundy was a coordinator
Lincoln Riley was a coordinator
Patterson was a coordinator before taking over TCU
Clay Helton was a coordinator before USC
Chip Kelly's 1st HC job was Oregon
David Shaw's only head job is Stanford

Looks to me like there is no perfect formula or lean- it just has to be the correct choice to be your head guy- sitting HC or coordinator be damned.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 03:04 PM
Let's look at top coaches around the country:

Saban did a solid job at Michigan State after being hired away from the Browns as DC
Meyer was hired at Utah after being a HC at a smaller school
Franklin did well at Vandy after being hired away as an asst at Maryland
Dabo was an asst when he was promoted
Harbaugh was HC at a smaller school before Stanford
Chryst at Wisconsin was a HC at Pitt before
Jimbo was a coordinator before getting the Seminole job
Richt was a coordinator before getting the Georgia job
Mullen was a coordinator before getting the State job
Malzahn was a one year HC before getting the Auburn gig
O has been an interim HC
Boom was a coordinator when Fla hired him
Gundy was a coordinator
Lincoln Riley was a coordinator
Patterson was a coordinator before taking over TCU
Clay Helton was a coordinator before USC
Chip Kelly's 1st HC job was Oregon
David Shaw's only head job is Stanford

Looks to me like there is no perfect formula or lean- it just has to be the correct choice to be your head guy- sitting HC or coordinator be damned.

And when Cohen could have hired almost anyone he wanted to replace him, he chose an Assistant Coach at LSU. We could have probably gotten a head coach from a school that had been to the World Series. Cohen chose Canny. Cohen is going to get us the best coach for our university. It isn't going to be someone that can recruit but is shitty at developing or an offensive coach that can't recruit. I trust Cohen making this hire more than any other AD in the country.

So thanks Loafers for becoming a traitor and running to UF. Cohen becoming our AD might be the best thing that has happened in the athletic department in a long time.

Coach34
11-28-2017, 03:07 PM
Strick wouldnt be making our football hire- the Boosters and Keenum would. While Cohen still has to answer to them- he is strong enough AND TRUSTED ENOUGH to handle the lionshare of this process. That is huge for us

smootness
11-28-2017, 03:12 PM
Correct. The fact that Dabo was never a coordinator should be proof forever that it's just about finding the right guy. That's not easy, but a great HC will be a great HC eventually no matter what job they had before they became a HC.

MetEdDawg
11-28-2017, 03:14 PM
The criteria I look for:

1) Pedigree - Who did you learn from, what is your background,

2) Winner - Are you someone that has either been around winners or has turned something into a winner. CONSISTENTLY!!

3) X factor - Personality, location fit, clear cultural fit, overwhelming strength that would help the university

These are the 3 things I like to look at when I see people go through coaching searches. A university should never have a ceiling on who they want. You think someone is the right fit, you ask them what their price is.

MarketingBully
11-28-2017, 03:15 PM
Florida fans even don’t like Loafers. He’s worn thin on them already. Cohen is a true bulldog and will hire the right guy for the long term. I trust Cohen’s judgement whoever he goes with.

Really Clark?
11-28-2017, 03:19 PM
Correct. The fact that Dabo was never a coordinator should be proof forever that it's just about finding the right guy. That's not easy, but a great HC will be a great HC eventually no matter what job they had before they became a HC.

And for some they are a great HC and fit with the right timing at one school. Some are great HC at whatever school they go to. It's a crap shoot but honestly it seems that very good coordinators at P5 schools end up being a little more consistently good HC with a higher upside.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 03:23 PM
The criteria I look for:

1) Pedigree - Who did you learn from, what is your background,

2) Winner - Are you someone that has either been around winners or has turned something into a winner. CONSISTENTLY!!

3) X factor - Personality, location fit, clear cultural fit, overwhelming strength that would help the university

These are the 3 things I like to look at when I see people go through coaching searches. A university should never have a ceiling on who they want. You think someone is the right fit, you ask them what their price is.

It looks like either Pruitt or Venables would be the best fit for Starkville, MS. Pruitt is from Alabama and Tuscalooser isn't a huge difference in culture or different opportunities. I wonder if Lateral Move just tolerated living in Starkville or if he actually enjoyed it. Venables is at Clemson which is very similar to MSU in a lot of ways. A lot of people don't know but Clemson University is modeled after MSU. This would also make the transition to life in Starkville easier.

It would be interesting to see if Moorhead would enjoy time in MS or if he would be looking for a job in the Northeast whenever he could. I would prefer not to be an immediate stepping stone. I am fine if some big program comes calling after he wins the SEC or National Title but Lateral Move seems like he left business unfinished.

Really Clark?
11-28-2017, 03:34 PM
It looks like either Pruitt or Venables would be the best fit for Starkville, MS. Pruitt is from Alabama and Tuscalooser isn't a huge difference in culture or different opportunities. I wonder if Lateral Move just tolerated living in Starkville or if he actually enjoyed it. Venables is at Clemson which is very similar to MSU in a lot of ways. A lot of people don't know but Clemson University is modeled after MSU. This would also make the transition to life in Starkville easier.

It would be interesting to see if Moorhead would enjoy time in MS or if he would be looking for a job in the Northeast whenever he could. I would prefer not to be an immediate stepping stone. I am fine if some big program comes calling after he wins the SEC or National Title but Lateral Move seems like he left business unfinished.

I'm sorry but you don't wait until you win a title if a bigger program comes calling. That's not unfinished business that getting a promotion. That's like being the CEO of a very successful corporation but turning down Apple CEO offer until your company is on that same level.

Gutter Cobreh
11-28-2017, 03:38 PM

This isn't getting discussed as much as I think it should, so thanks for highlighting MetEd and expanding on it.

We need someone that likes living in a small rural town. I'm not disparaging Starkville, but it takes a certain type of person to live there especially when you have a high profile job like being the head football coach. I think Lateral Move tolerated it (as he was there 9 years), but it's not his style of living.

This is why I was excited about Pruitt. He checks all the boxes, especially having grown up in a small town. Joey Fishwater would go absolutely insane living anywhere in MS, excluding the coast where he could access gambling and New Orleans.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 03:46 PM
I'm sorry but you don't wait until you win a title if a bigger program comes calling. That's not unfinished business that getting a promotion. That's like being the CEO of a very successful corporation but turning down Apple CEO offer until your company is on that same level.

Lateral Move just took a job paying the same with worse facilities. It does have National Titles but it also wasn't much better than MSU prior to Spurrier which was in my lifetime. UF has never been #1 in the Playoff poll but I know one school who has. Recruiting might be easier there but it isn't as easy as it was when Urban was there. Florida now has UCF, USF, FAU, along with FSU (which is a better program), and a resurgent Miami. That doesn't even take into consideration that UGA, AU, and Bama regularly come into UF for the top recruits along with every other blue blood program.

It might be easier at UF but the program isn't that much better.

Homedawg
11-28-2017, 03:54 PM
Let's get real, whoever we hire will in 5 years either, be looking to move on to a bigger job OR we will fire him. This is not, at present, I might add, a destination job. Shoot me all you want. I love msu. I'm maroon through and through, the next guy will jump at any top job just like Mullen did. Nothing wrong w that. I'll take it, cause if he leaves that means our success has continued. Hopefully, at an even higher rate than present.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 04:00 PM
Let's get real, whoever we hire will in 5 years either, be looking to move on to a bigger job OR we will fire him. This is not, at present, I might add, a destination job. Shoot me all you want. I love msu. I'm maroon through and through, the next guy will jump at any top job just like Mullen did. Nothing wrong w that. I'll take it, cause if he leaves that means our success has continued. Hopefully, at an even higher rate than present.

Either that or we get someone who wants to continue building. I know it is rare now but maybe we get a coach that wants to put his stamp on a program. I thought Lateral might be the guy who would want a statue in front of the stadium instead of being a punk bitch.

Johnson85
11-28-2017, 04:25 PM

It's not a destination job, but neither is TCU or Ok St. We are good enough that if the next coach improves our situation enough that big time programs want to hire him, he'll have had enough success here that it won't be easy to walk away from, unless it's just a bad personality fit to begin with (in which case it seems unlikely he'd be that successful).

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 05:09 PM
It's not a destination job, but neither is TCU or Ok St. We are good enough that if the next coach improves our situation enough that big time programs want to hire him, he'll have had enough success here that it won't be easy to walk away from, unless it's just a bad personality fit to begin with (in which case it seems unlikely he'd be that successful).

Lateral Move also was paid like a top 15 coach with mostly top 25 - 30 results. You would think that would buy some loyalty but not in this case. It is all on what the coach sees is the ceiling and what his goal is. We were primed for a possible Playoff run next year with some luck. Other than a hand full of schools that is about the best you can hope for. The limits set on MSU at this point were mostly due to Lateral's shitty recruiting. Having no WRs ready or signing 1 HS OL is purely his fault. If Lateral thinks just going to UF is going to somehow make his team more successful against Bama or UGA then his ego is out of control. It is going to be interesting after his first loss when Spurrier comes into his office telling him what he did wrong.