PDA

View Full Version : Prediction - WE hire the Penn State guy

cheewgumm
11-28-2017, 12:50 PM
Seems like Cohen's type of guy.

KB21
11-28-2017, 01:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm7Re_wsyGs

Good video of him talking about some of his route concepts.

TheWorkHersch
11-28-2017, 01:15 PM
Seems like Cohen's type of guy.

Not saying I wouldn?t be happy with the hire, but there?s just something about Moorehead that doesn?t seem to jive with State and our team. Not basing this on his yankee blood either, just a gut feeling.

ScoobaDawg
11-28-2017, 01:17 PM
Your prediction isn't worth more than throwing a penny in the toilet full of turds.
It might be right but it's uneducated right now and on no factual basis.

Apoplectic
11-28-2017, 01:21 PM
Matt talked about the kind of coach JC likes - similar to AC. He made some good points to reinforce his position.

Who are we interviewing that is similar to AC- youngish, recruiter, and high energy?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-28-2017, 02:26 PM
Matt talked about the kind of coach JC likes - similar to AC. He made some good points to reinforce his position.

Who are we interviewing that is similar to AC- youngish, recruiter, and high energy?

simliar to AC...that guy is JEREMY F^&#ing PRUITT!!!!! I would say the Penn State coach is more like a Scott Stricklin hire.

msstate7
11-28-2017, 02:30 PM
simliar to AC...that guy is JEREMY F^&#ing PRUITT!!!!! I would say the Penn State coach is more like a Scott Stricklin hire.

How do you know so much about Moorhead? I barely know the guy. I did love how he got Barkley the ball in games when teams gameplanned to stop it.

mparkerfd20
11-28-2017, 02:31 PM

Pretty much everyone we've talked to.

Really Clark?
11-28-2017, 02:33 PM

Cohen also likes a coach with a high IQ. That's more Moorehead than Pruitt. Cohen wants a smart coach and that is why Moorehead will be interviewed. Pruitt has the football smarts and honestly some of that is just how he comes off as country. But don't discount the PSU guy. He is very creative and been successful at several levels including P5

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-28-2017, 02:33 PM
Cohen also likes a coach with a high IQ. That's more Moorehead than Pruitt. Cohen wants a smart coach and that is why Moorehead will be interviewed. Pruitt has the football smarts and honestly some of that is just how he comes off as country. But don't discount the PSU guy. He is very creative and been successful at several levels including P5

Does Cohen want this?
https://247sports.com/Coach/Joe-Moorhead-538/AllTimeRecruits

OR this

https://247sports.com/Coach/Jeremy-Pruitt-267/AllTimeRecruits

Pretty damn obvious to me. He can't even get elite talent to Penn State. You think he will in the south???

vv83
11-28-2017, 02:43 PM
Does Cohen want this?

OR this

Pretty damn obvious to me. He can't even get elite talent to Penn State. You think he will in the south???

On Jeremy's recruits... Jarren Mayden.. is that our QB commits brother?

Really Clark?
11-28-2017, 02:45 PM
Does Cohen want this?

OR this

I'm telling you that Moorehead checks boxes that Pruitt doesn't for Cohen. Which will be weighed the most in his mind, I don't know, but I think we overvalue certain parts of what Cohen is looking for. Cohen is also a very maticulous organized type of guy and wants a CEO HC who has those qualities as well. He will hire who checks off the boxes that is most important and fits. Remember he also had a good relationship with Mullen and his gut told Byrne to hire him immediately after the interview. Moorehead fits some of those characteristics more than Pruitt. I like Cohen's direction a lot right now, with whoever he hires I think will be solid

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-28-2017, 02:48 PM
On Jeremy's recruits... Jarren Mayden.. is that our QB commits brother?

Yes it is

Homedawg
11-28-2017, 02:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm7Re_wsyGs

Good video of him talking about some of his route concepts.

Good find! Tks

Jarius
11-28-2017, 02:54 PM
The best thing about Moorhead is that our fans are already misspelling his name. Sign his ass up! But for real, from what I've read about him he is going to be absolutely outstanding wherever he goes. I hope it's here. I would be happy with any of our top candidates at the moment, though. Read the Sports Illustrated article on Moorhead if you have not already. It's great insight into who he is. He was a great head coach at the lower level (at a place that does not recruit itself) and has won at multiple places where most people can't. That job sound familiar?

Cooterpoot
11-28-2017, 02:55 PM
Not going to happen. Cohen knows he can't recruit.

HoopsDawg
11-28-2017, 02:57 PM
Does Cohen want this?

OR this

Pruitt must be a hell of a recruiter to get kids to sign with Bama, FSU, and UGA. LOL

BrunswickDawg
11-28-2017, 02:59 PM
Does Cohen want this?

OR this

Pruitt was secondary on Rivers and primary on Abram for UGA. I thought Grantham landed Abrams?

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-28-2017, 03:01 PM
Pruitt must be a hell of a recruiter to get kids to sign with Bama, FSU, and UGA. LOL

The point is...HE KNOWS THE RECRUITING GROUND!! HE HAS RELATIONSHIPS ALL ACROSS THE SOUTH!!! It would be a transition with Moorhead. At the very least we would suffer in recruiting for 3 or 4 years. With Pruitt we would a least have a chance. Can we afford to take ANY step back in recruiting especially now with what is going on at OM. We need someone that knows that area and will be an aggressive recruiter. THAT IS PRUITT. You know who else was an offensive genius 10 years ago? Dan Mullen. Any wasn't Phil Longo an offensive WIZARD at Sam Houston State averaging 50 points a game? We are talking about the SEC here. We have seen in big games what the talent gap looks like. We need another level added to our recruiting right now.

HoopsDawg
11-28-2017, 03:04 PM
The point is...HE KNOWS THE RECRUITING GROUND!! HE HAS RELATIONSHIPS ALL ACROSS THE SOUTH!!! It would be a transition with Moorhead. At the very least we would suffer in recruiting for 3 or 4 years. With Pruitt we would a least have a chance. Can we afford to take ANY step back in recruiting especially now with what is going on at OM. We need someone that knows that area and will be an aggressive recruiter. THAT IS PRUITT.

FSU, UF, and Texas have recruited great and they all sucked this year. UF and Texas have sucked for several years. Get the best COACH. Also you are just assuming that Moorhead can't recruit. And last point, the assistants do most of the leg work with recruiting. Hire great recruiters. Mullen had a bunch of guys like Hev and Gonzo that were shitty recruiters.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-28-2017, 03:08 PM
FSU, UF, and Texas have recruited great and they all sucked this year. UF and Texas have sucked for several years. Get the best COACH. Also you are just assuming that Moorhead can't recruit. And last point, the assistants do most of the leg work with recruiting. Hire great recruiters. Mullen had a bunch of guys like Hev and Gonzo that were shitty recruiters.

So getting an offensive coordinator like Chip Lindsey or Billy Napier to go along with Pruitt wouldn't be good enough? Have you seen Auburns offense lately?

Also you are just assuming that Moorhead can't recruit.No assuming the proof is on the link.

HoopsDawg
11-28-2017, 03:11 PM
So getting an offensive coordinator like Chip Lindsey or Billy Napier to go along with Pruitt wouldn't be good enough? Have you seen Auburns offense lately?

I don't buy that we could get Chip Lindsey. And good, innovative offensive coordinators are prime prospects to be head coaches. You don't hire a head guy based on who he could possibly get as his offensive coordinator. Your head coach at a place like MSU needs to be the guy who installs the offense.

Dawgface
11-28-2017, 03:13 PM
Cohen might hire the Appalachian State guy for all we know. No one knows......

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-28-2017, 03:13 PM
I don't buy that we could get Chip Lindsey. And good, innovative offensive coordinators are prime prospects to be head coaches. You don't hire a head guy based on who he could possibly get as his offensive coordinator. Your head coach at a place like MSU needs to be the guy who installs the offense.

You do if they are lifelong friends...

Your head coach at a place like MSU needs to be the guy who installs the offense.LOL so you want another Mullen. Ok I get it. Oh my this is gold.

Dildoes
11-28-2017, 03:36 PM
If Moorhead had Pruitt's recruiting background and Southern connections he'd basically be the dream hire. It's naive to discount the likelihood of him having growing pains recruiting down here - something we really can't afford.

On the other hand, I'd much prefer our head guy to be more offense-oriented as I believe it's much easier to plug and play new DCs than it is to re-tool our offense every time the OC hits the door. Had Mullen stayed, we were gonna cement ourselves as a QB cradle. Now, I don't think there's any coach out there who could realistically keep that going at Mullen's level, but I do believe it's our best shot to keep this upward trajectory.

msstate7
11-28-2017, 03:42 PM
Moorhead and keep grantham. I think this would be a sweet deal if we could pull it off

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-28-2017, 03:42 PM
If Moorhead had Pruitt's recruiting background and Southern connections he'd basically be the dream hire. It's naive to discount the likelihood of him having growing pains recruiting down here - something we really can't afford.

On the other hand, I'd much prefer our head guy to be more offense-oriented as I believe it's much easier to plug and play new DCs than it is to re-tool our offense every time the OC hits the door. Had Mullen stayed, we were gonna cement ourselves as a QB cradle. Now, I don't think there's any coach out there who could realistically keep that going at Mullen's level, but I do believe it's our best shot to keep this upward trajectory.

If if if....Moorhead is Mullen. At least Mullen had some familiarity with the south at Florida. The love for this guy baffles me

Cooterpoot
11-28-2017, 03:44 PM
Moorhead and keep grantham. I think this would be a sweet deal if we could pull it off

Grantham isn't staying. Not really an option.

Jarius
11-28-2017, 03:53 PM
You do if they are lifelong friends...

LOL so you want another Mullen. Ok I get it. Oh my this is gold.

Wait you don't want another Mullen? He's the best coach we have ever had. He just got hired by a top 5 program in the country. If this guy is the next Mullen, we will be very fortunate. As to your other post, please stop comparing him to Longo. He not only lead great offenses (as a head coach) at small college, he lead great offenses in a major conference when that school had sucked on offense before he got there. He is the sole reason for their turnaround on offense. Stop bitching about potential hires over a 247 recruiting link. Either of these men will do well at MSU and shitting on someone you don't know anything about is ignorant at best.

MadDawg
11-28-2017, 04:38 PM
The best thing about Moorhead is that our fans are already misspelling his name.

You think our fans will spell Prewit right?

redstickdawg
11-28-2017, 04:42 PM
Wait you don't want another Mullen? He's the best coach we have ever had. He just got hired by a top 5 program in the country. If this guy is the next Mullen, we will be very fortunate. As to your other post, please stop comparing him to Longo. He not only lead great offenses (as a head coach) at small college, he lead great offenses in a major conference when that school had sucked on offense before he got there. He is the sole reason for their turnaround on offense. Stop bitching about potential hires over a 247 recruiting link. Either of these men will do well at MSU and shitting on someone you don't know anything about is ignorant at best.

Agree 100%

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-28-2017, 06:00 PM

No actually I don't I want someone who puts emphasis on recruiting. Something we have missed. And that 247 link is all the proof you need. You can bash it all you want but you can't change the information.

MagicDawg
11-28-2017, 06:28 PM
I asked my Penn State alum/fan friend for his take on Moorhead. His response:

================================================== ===
My overall impression of Joe Moorhead is very positive. Before he showed up our offensive couldn't pass block to save their lives. Once Christian Hackenberg was sacked by a two man Temple rush. Also our third down conversions percentage was at the bottom of the Big Ten and Division One. Joe brought the zone read offense that took us to the Big Ten Championship, the Rose Bowl and most likely saved James Franklin's job. He will do great things at Mississippi State.

My only complaint is he didn't maximize Saquon Barkley against Ohio State, Michigan State or even Rutgers and that cost Barkley the Heisman. After the Michigan game we thought Barkley had the Heisman but with only 32 yards rushing against Rutgers (one of the worst run defenses in the Big Ten) he might get invited but he won't win.
================================================== ===