PDA

View Full Version : The Gold Standard Top 2 ..

Ari Gold
11-28-2017, 12:13 PM
Brent Venables or
Jeremy Pruitt

Get it done JC.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 12:20 PM
Some people have thrown names around of who Pruitt would bring, who would Venables bring as OC?

I am happy with either pick or Moorehead if he hires a great recruiting staff and DC.

What do you think are the positives and negatives of each guy?

Political Hack
11-28-2017, 12:27 PM
Biggest positive of each:

Pruitt - Saban process and knows the SEC West landscape better than most. Plug and play, compete immediately for the West.

Ven - Dabo disciple that’s a very good fit culturally. Clemson and State are very similar fan bases and the players respond to the same type of motivation.

Moorehead - Is allegedly Sean Payton type smart and a great offensive mind.

Ari Gold
11-28-2017, 12:29 PM
Some people have thrown names around of who Pruitt would bring, who would Venables bring as OC?

I am happy with either pick or Moorehead if he hires a great recruiting staff and DC.

Tony Elliot co/oc would be the logical choice. From what I am told Clemson fans don't want this to happen.. Elliot great recruiter as well as very good offensive guy

mo7888
11-28-2017, 12:30 PM
What about Morris? Rosi says he's high on Cohen's list.

Doggie_Style
11-28-2017, 12:34 PM

Both Pruitt and Venables have the same problem, they have never been 'the guy' in a football program. So there is tremendous risk there. Moorehead on the other hand has both successfully lead an organization and excelled at a top program as a coordinator. Mooreheads' obvious flaw is being a yankee with no experience coaching or recruiting in the south (he's probably never eaten grits either...LOL). But I think Moorehead, with help, can figure out the nuances of recruiting. That's why I'm leaning his way.

Ari Gold
11-28-2017, 12:35 PM
What about Morris? Rosi says he's high on Cohen's list.

I'm just giving the top 2 guys I want.. Morris / Moorhead I'm good with as well.
I'm just not in the camp where we HAVE to get an offensive guy. That's why you get a good OC to fit your system. Easier to find a kick ass OC guy year in year out than it is to find a defesneive minded guy and I like those guys as my HC.

Saladin
11-28-2017, 12:39 PM
Saban was a northern guy before he went to LSU and how did that work out?

msstate7
11-28-2017, 12:42 PM
Saban was a northern guy before he went to LSU and how did that work out?

I believe recruiting comes down to how you sell. Mullen and his staff did not recruit well bc they could not sell themselves, not bc of where they were from

RougeDawg
11-28-2017, 12:50 PM
I believe recruiting comes down to how you sell. Mullen and his staff did not recruit well bc they could not sell themselves, not bc of where they were from

It?s extremely difficult to sell a Yankee Dick ?I?m better than you southerners? attitude to southern families. We saw that play out time after time and it was one item holding us back to some extent.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 12:51 PM

Also didn't seem to work very hard at it if the rumors of what TBuck and Sirmon came into was true. I would love to have an entire staff that were good to great recruiters instead of having half of the guys do most of the work.

KB21
11-28-2017, 12:53 PM

I think it had more to do with Mullen wasn't going to blow smoke up the recruits rear, and I hope we don't become a program that starts blowing smoke just to get them on campus.

MarketingBully
11-28-2017, 01:02 PM
I think it had more to do with Mullen wasn't going to blow smoke up the recruits rear, and I hope we don't become a program that starts blowing smoke just to get them on campus.

He was not a very engaging genuine person. Has nothing to do with blowing smoke up recruits rears. Case in point, Coach Cann and Coach Howland are very engaging genuine people who are bad ass recruiters. Mullen was never that. Urban Meyer at Florida is an engaging genuine person who constantly had to clean up Mullen’s mess. Hev was a terrible recruiter because he was the biggest asshole around. It’s not rocket science on why Mullen sucked at recruiting. Msstate7 is also correct on how it’s important you have to sell yourself and your school to be a great recruiter but being an engaging and genuine person goes hand and hand with that.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 01:27 PM
He was not a very engaging genuine person. Has nothing to do with blowing smoke up recruits rears. Case in point, Coach Cann and Coach Howland are very engaging genuine people who are bad ass recruiters. Mullen was never that. Urban Meyer at Florida is an engaging genuine person who constantly had to clean up Mullen’s mess. Hev was a terrible recruiter because he was the biggest asshole around. It’s not rocket science on why Mullen sucked at recruiting. Msstate7 is also correct on how it’s important you have to sell yourself and your school to be a great recruiter but being an engaging and genuine person goes hand and hand with that.

First impressions matter. Lateral Move almost cost UF Tebow and he was a legacy. Urban has said he was ready to punch him in the face the first time they met. I have heard from people who met him that Hevesy was even worse. It is hard to be great at recruiting if the first time someone meets you, they don't want to talk to you again. That is a lot to overcome especially for guys with other options.

fishwater99
11-28-2017, 01:30 PM
Brent Venables or
Jeremy Pruitt

Get it done JC.

Neither..

We can get a proven HC this time around...

BuckyIsAB****
11-28-2017, 01:32 PM
Kiffin, Venables, Pruitt, in that order

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 01:39 PM
Neither..

We can get a proven HC this time around...

So Moorhead? Which proven HC would you choose? Kiffen, Morris, Fedora, Monken, or someone else.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-28-2017, 01:51 PM

Which is exactly why we need ELITE RECRUITERS!!!!!

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-28-2017, 01:52 PM
It?s extremely difficult to sell a Yankee Dick ?I?m better than you southerners? attitude to southern families. We saw that play out time after time and it was one item holding us back to some extent.

THANK YOU!!!! I cannot believe how many are missing this. If we hire More Head then kiss this years class goodbye.

msstate7
11-28-2017, 01:53 PM
Which is exactly why we need ELITE RECRUITERS!!!!!

No argument. How do you know Moorhead isn?t?

preachermatt83
11-28-2017, 01:55 PM
Only reservation on venables is the 4-3 def. my top 4 are leach, kiffin, Moorhead, and Pruitt and I'm 100 percent satisfied with any of those 4. The only names mentioned I don't won't is monken, app st coach, bill clark, or Neil brown.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 01:55 PM
No argument. How do you know Moorhead isn?t?

Also we don't know who he might hire in his coaching staff. I imagine Cohen is going over all of this in the interview process so he knows what kind of recruiting staff the hire might bring. That was one of the primary requirements when he hired Canny.

preachermatt83
11-28-2017, 01:57 PM
Morris and venables are both kind of blah to me.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 01:58 PM
Only reservation on venables is the 4-3 def. my top 4 are leach, kiffin, Moorhead, and Pruitt and I'm 100 percent satisfied with any of those 4. The only names mentioned I don't won't is monken, app st coach, bill clark, or Neil brown.

Only guy mentioned I don't want is Manny Diaz. He has burned us too many times already. I wouldn't mind Collins coming back but who knows what kind of program he is running since Rhule left Temple in a good place. It looks like they might have taken a step back.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-28-2017, 02:18 PM
Agree 100%

HoopsDawg
1. Mike Norvell: not in contention
2. Joe Moorhead
3. Neal Brown
4. Chad Morris
5. Ryan Day

I'm good with any of these guys. Recruiting prowess is overated. We need to lock down our state, but we aren't going to steal 5 stars or many 4 stars from surrounding states. Go find the Best Coach and it might be Joe Moorhead.

fishwater99
So Moorhead? Which proven HC would you choose? Kiffen, Morris, Fedora, Monken, or someone else.

We can pay Top 15 money, we are in the SEC and our program is on the rise. We return an All-SEC type QB and 17 other starters.
It is a desirable job, believe it our not.

I'd just about take any of the above HC's. But I think the real list includes a few more higher profile guys that we haven't heard about yet.

preachermatt83
11-28-2017, 02:19 PM
Only guy mentioned I don't want is Manny Diaz. He has burned us too many times already. I wouldn't mind Collins coming back but who knows what kind of program he is running since Rhule left Temple in a good place. It looks like they might have taken a step back.

Collins and Diaz won't be interviewed. That was just somebody guessing.

Ari Gold
11-28-2017, 02:49 PM
Morris and venables are both kind of blah to me.

Yet you want Kiffin?? We would going thru this same process again within 2 years.

preachermatt83
11-28-2017, 02:52 PM
Yet you want Kiffin?? We would going thru this same process again within 2 years.

So? The teams searching will likely be less then, we would win big with next years team, and we would have athletes on the roster for the next coach to win immediately

Ari Gold
11-28-2017, 03:00 PM
So? The teams searching will likely be less then, we would win big with next years team, and we would have athletes on the roster for the next coach to win immediately

Well thank God it's not going to happen...

NCDawg
11-28-2017, 03:58 PM
Both Pruitt and Venables have the same problem, they have never been 'the guy' in a football program. So there is tremendous risk there. Moorehead on the other hand has both successfully lead an organization and excelled at a top program as a coordinator. Mooreheads' obvious flaw is being a yankee with no experience coaching or recruiting in the south (he's probably never eaten grits either...LOL). But I think Moorehead, with help, can figure out the nuances of recruiting. That's why I'm leaning his way.

We don't need another yankee like that guy in picture below your name.