PDA

View Full Version : Cohen isn't F'ing around

Coach34
11-28-2017, 11:21 AM
Coach Knox has been pulled off recruiting now that its known he is headed to Florida with Mullen.

We are supposed to name a coach within 48 hours

We have been bombarded by people wanting the job (including Kyle Whittingham). Dan Walsh gets alot of credit for that

Hail State

BrunswickDawg
11-28-2017, 11:24 AM
I'm kinda surprised Knox is going to UF - but I guess the Country Club has to stick together.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2017, 11:24 AM
Gotta love Cohen! With the crapshow at Tennessee,uf and others in their Athletic Depts. we have ourselves a freaking pro! I don't know if he's the best AD in the country but it don't take long to call roll.

Coursesuper
11-28-2017, 11:25 AM
Need to move Knox on out the door.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2017, 11:26 AM

Agree on that, if he's not with us he's against us. Nick can be the OC for the bowl game, go all varsity blues on em lol

parabrave
11-28-2017, 11:27 AM

We need to lockup cohen before every underachieving PS school comes poaching him.

Lord McBuckethead
11-28-2017, 11:28 AM
Agree on that, if he's not with us he's against us. Nick can be the OC for the bowl game, go all varsity blues on em lol

I like this idea. Let Fitz call the game. Shit, the guy could do it.

Doggie_Style
11-28-2017, 11:28 AM

Hell yes I love that idea!!

BulldogDX55
11-28-2017, 11:29 AM
We need to lockup cohen before every underachieving PS school comes poaching him.

I don't think we have to worry about losing him. Remember- he played and coached here.

Bodawg
Makes sense. For all we know, Knox could be recruiting for Mullen since Mullen is trying to poach our current players.

I seen it dawg
**** Mullen

Political Hack
Coach Boobie gonna be lit as the HBC going into the bowl game.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2017, 11:31 AM

We got us the makings of a hype bowl team! Boobie HC, Fitz OC, lets go kick some behind!

Commercecomet24
**** Mullen

+1000

Beaver
When you the school President, AD, boosters, and fanbase are all unified great things can happen. MSU is in great shape and Cohen gets to pick between several good applicants who want the job. Compare that to UT...Their AD is controlled by their biggest booster, Mr. Haslam. The other boosters wants Haslam out and want the new AD out. And they don't trust the school president or chancellor to help. The fanbase just used social media to reject a new hire... So now their AD is grasping for someone to take a bunch of money to inherit a dumpster fire of a situation.

BankerDog
11-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Brad Peterson...it is now your time to show the world what you can do!

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2017, 11:34 AM
Coach Knox has been pulled off recruiting now that its known he is headed to Florida with Mullen.

We have been bombarded by people wanting the job (including Kyle Whittingham). Dan Walsh gets alot of credit for that

Hail State

It's a great job.

Outstanding culture already built & a potential top 10 team ready to the take the field next season.

Very rare that SEC jobs come open where there isn't turmoil or a rebuild involved.

You can argue all day about which job in the best that is open due to resources, but there is very little debate that MSU is the job open with the best team. That's is huge

Commercecomet24
11-28-2017, 11:34 AM
John Cohen is one of us. His dream was to come back and coach at his alma mater. He did that and now he's the AD here and his one goal is to make MSU the best Athletic Department and program in the country. We are so fortunate in having one of us that bleeds Maroon and White making these decisions for us and not based on some hidden agendas.

Coursesuper
11-28-2017, 11:35 AM

Who ever the new staff is they have to get boots on the ground asap, getting in place and on campus is of paramount importance.

Doggie_Style
**** Mullen

I think it's only fitting that we forget how to even spell our former coaches name.....I think Merlins or Murlon or Marlins or whatever should be used.....screw him

Dawghouse

Boobie is working on his degree so he can coach. Surely Keenum can pull some strings and make this happen.

FatDrunkandStupidDawg
11-28-2017, 11:36 AM
Can I assume that Cohen can contact and continue speaking to our recruits during the search? I recall either Byrne or Stricklin having to take a test to do so during our last search... I would imagine Cohen can still recruit for us which couldn’t be a bad thing.

Statecoachingblows**

https://s18.postimg.org/z9tqsx3yx/5_B93_A81_B-_FC81-4_B68-8454-4498_F30580_F7.jpg

Jack Lambert
John Cohen is one of us. His dream was to come back and coach at his alma mater. He did that and now he's the AD here and his one goal is to make MSU the best Athletic Department and program in the country. We are so fortunate in having one of us that bleeds Maroon and White making these decisions for us and not based on some hidden agendas.

How he handles this will determine future raises and job security.

ShotgunDawg
Compare our situation with Arkansas & Tennessee.

https://i.imgur.com/mIJXkTg.jpg

Commercecomet24
11-28-2017, 11:37 AM
Who ever the new staff is they have to get boots on the ground asap, getting in place and on campus is of paramount importance.

I agree. We have to get em in here and get them hammering our recruits and getting plans in place. Time is critical.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2017, 11:40 AM
Compare our situation with Arkansas & Tennessee.

https://i.imgur.com/mIJXkTg.jpg

There are disasters happening all over the place with these coaching moves. It's hilarious to watch all these other schools and their dumpsters fires of hiring and firing new coaches, while our AD and President calmly find our new coach and are being praised by the media for knowing what the hell their doing.

iPat09
11-28-2017, 11:44 AM
I think it's only fitting that we forget how to even spell our former coaches name.....I think Merlins or Murlon or Marlins or whatever should be used.....screw him

I think we should keep using every name that begins with a D instead of calling him Don, I mean Doug, I mean....

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-28-2017, 11:49 AM

Hail State

I'd pull Knox off of interim during bowl too. I'd tell him to get the hell outta here.

parabrave
11-28-2017, 11:50 AM

Yeah another guy like that just helped take our coach away/ Even though he was our the door anyway.

Coach34
11-28-2017, 11:52 AM
Yeah another guy like that just helped take our coach away/ Even though he was our the door anyway.

Im not mad at Strick- all he did was save Mullen from Tennessee and do what Foley told him to. We'll get the last laugh next Fall

mparkerfd20
11-28-2017, 11:53 AM
I think we should keep using every name that begins with a D instead of calling him Don, I mean Doug, I mean....

Yeah screw that Dilbert Malone coach!

Commercecomet24
11-28-2017, 11:54 AM

I don't put Strick and Cohen in the same category at all. For one thing Cohen was a player and a coach and he's a competitor not a freaking bean counter like our boy strick

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 11:56 AM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Commercecomet24 again.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 12:00 PM

I like just referring to him as Lateral Move.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2017, 12:01 PM

Lateral Move is a good one.

jtricer1973
11-28-2017, 12:03 PM
He's maroon through and through! Cohen isn't going anywhere!!

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 12:05 PM
Boobie is working on his degree so he can coach. Surely Keenum can pull some strings and make this happen.

Keenum should just give him an honorary degree in PE or something or let Dontae Jones tutor him this semester. He should have his masters by the spring.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2017, 12:05 PM
Im not mad at Strick- all he did was save Mullen from Tennessee and do what Foley told him to. We'll get the last laugh next Fall

Now that Mullen is gone, I'm curious from your unique perspective, what you thought about Mullen as a coach & on what our ceiling can be?

FISHDAWG
11-28-2017, 12:06 PM

and take his phone without any warning

Offshore Dawg
11-28-2017, 12:08 PM

This is exactly what we have with the "IB", He cares and wants to be here and I think stay here. He will do what is best for MSU every time. I don't think anybody can argue against that.

iPat09
11-28-2017, 12:13 PM

Wonder who came up with that....

starkvegasdawg
11-28-2017, 12:13 PM
We got us the makings of a hype bowl team! Boobie HC, Fitz OC, lets go kick some behind!

Smoot DC.

Lord McBuckethead
11-28-2017, 12:14 PM
I mean, Matt Wyatt could come in and coach for one game.

Lord McBuckethead
11-28-2017, 12:15 PM
Tyler Russell may be available too. Might as well piece this thing together with previous players.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 12:16 PM
Wonder who came up with that....

If it was you, Thank you sir. I can say it in public instead of saying 17 Don *******.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 12:16 PM
Tyler Russell may be available too. Might as well piece this thing together with previous players.

My buddy suggested Glenn Young since he teaches a class on campus or he used to.

iPat09
11-28-2017, 12:19 PM
If it was you, Thank you sir. I can say it in public instead of saying 17 Don *******.

Called it in The Mullen thread. Didn't think it would take off like it has, but i'll take it. 17 Lateral Move.

parabrave
11-28-2017, 12:23 PM

You mean Door #3

MedDawg
11-28-2017, 12:25 PM

In another thread the poster TrapGame came up with 'Dick Move'. Perfect.

http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?62202-So-did-Lateral-Move-leave-Knox-to-help-steal-recruits-from-the-inside

Sacrifice
11-28-2017, 12:34 PM
Brad Peterson...it is now your time to show the world what you can do!

Brad Peterson is legit, hes a great offensive mind and hes won big everywhere hes been. I?m surprised he hasnt moved into college coaching more than he has

RougeDawg
11-28-2017, 12:35 PM
I mean, Matt Wyatt could come in and coach for one game.

He'd be wondering where his team dressed in red and blue were before kickoff. F*ck Matt too.

HailState845
11-28-2017, 12:36 PM

Dick Mullets

Coach34
11-28-2017, 12:46 PM
Now that Mullen is gone, I'm curious from your unique perspective, what you thought about Mullen as a coach & on what our ceiling can be?

Mullen is a good football coach but not great. He is a good offensive coach but lacks much innovation. He does what he does and makes sure we are good at it. And there is nothing wrong with that. I like Malzahn better personally from an offensive standpoint- because he innovates a little more. He does shit you haven’t seen before.

Mullen elevated the program and I’m thankful for that. He stabilized it. I just don’t think we would have ever won the West with him because of his conservatism and recruiting deficiencies. Our next guy hopefully can fill some of those voids Mullen had.

basedog
11-28-2017, 12:53 PM
Mullen is a good football coach but not great. He is a good offensive coach but lacks much innovation. He does what he does and makes sure we are good at it. And there is nothing wrong with that. I like Malzahn better personally from an offensive standpoint- because he innovates a little more. He does shit you haven’t seen before.

Mullen elevated the program and I’m thankful for that. He stabilized it. I just don’t think we would have ever won the West with him because of his conservatism and recruiting deficiencies. Our next guy hopefully can fill some of those voids Mullen had.

Totally agree.

shoeless joe
11-28-2017, 12:54 PM

Agree 100%

******* greatest strength was the culture and how he ran the program. Like it or not guys were held accountable and in the end that made a huge difference. Just look at this pst years egg bowl. But he clearly lacked in certain areas. As long as we bring in a guy that carries on the culture and can be a little more open minded in areas we could have a huge upgrade. But let's not forget that Mullen did leave us in he position we're in. He deserves credit for that.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 12:56 PM

So would you rather have an offensive guy like Moorhead or defensive guy like Pruitt? Pruitt or Venables seem like the better recruiting option also but having that offensive mind is nice on the sideline.

Pollodawg
11-28-2017, 01:00 PM

Spot. On. Mullen was a one trick pony offensively.

Tbonewannabe
Agree 100%

******* greatest strength was the culture and how he ran the program. Like it or not guys were held accountable and in the end that made a huge difference. Just look at this pst years egg bowl. But he clearly lacked in certain areas. As long as we bring in a guy that carries on the culture and can be a little more open minded in areas we could have a huge upgrade. But let's not forget that Mullen did leave us in he position we're in. He deserves credit for that.

I will say Croom established our culture of hard work and accountability. Lateral Move didn't have to run off any players when he took over. He had a good many NFL players on the roster or committed. About the only player he was able to get was Bumphis. He did carry it on but he didn't really do the hard work of establishing it. If Croom would have let a good offensive coordinator change the shitty West Coast crap he tried to run then we would have been to consistent bowl games also. His defense and recruiting was pretty much as good as Lateral's.

bluelightstar

Sounds like what Athlon had to say pre-season in their anonymous SEC quotes:

"They’re kind of boring schematically when you really watch them and break them down. They don’t do a whole lot that concerns you. Mullen does a good job — it’s just not particularly creative. You’d play (Steve) Spurrier back in the day and he’d see something he’d like in the NFL on Sunday and you’d see it with him the following weekend. With Mullen, he kind of has his things he likes and that’s what he does. There’s no newness there."

100% true.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2017, 01:04 PM

100% accurate.

shoeless joe
11-28-2017, 01:32 PM
I will say Croom established our culture of hard work and accountability. Lateral Move didn't have to run off any players when he took over. He had a good many NFL players on the roster or committed. About the only player he was able to get was Bumphis. He did carry it on but he didn't really do the hard work of establishing it. If Croom would have let a good offensive coordinator change the shitty West Coast crap he tried to run then we would have been to consistent bowl games also. His defense and recruiting was pretty much as good as Lateral's.

Not to the same extent. For kids to fully buy in there has to be positive reinforcement in the form of winning. That never happened. But beyond that, I was in school and around a lot of players in the croom years...and have good friends that worked under Mullen...there is very little comparison when it comes to discipline and accountability

BrunswickDawg
11-28-2017, 01:44 PM
I'm sorry, the whole "Croom laid the foundation for discipline" kind of goes out the window when you remember we had players in an OK Coral gunfight ON CAMPUS in '08. Boobie himself said that had a major negative impact on the '08 season.

HaggardDawg
11-28-2017, 01:45 PM
This probably isn?t a big deal but the optics of it kind of bothered me. When the Mullen?s got off the plane in Gainesville, they were accompanied by Lee Begley, our Recruiting Coordinator. I know she and Megan are best friends and Megan probably wanted her there as friend while Don did his thing, but come on. You?re still on OUR payroll and you?re not going to UF with them. I just don?t like the optics of that especially since she has close relationships with our recruits and their families.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 01:48 PM
This probably isn?t a big deal but the optics of it kind of bothered me. When the Mullen?s got off the plane in Gainesville, they were accompanied by Lee Begley, our Recruiting Coordinator. I know she and Megan are best friends and Megan probably wanted her there as friend while Don did his thing, but come on. You?re still on OUR payroll and you?re not going to UF with them. I just don?t like the optics of that especially since she has close relationships with our recruits and their families.

This does seem like we might have a few people on the MSU payroll that is now working for UF's interests and hurting MSU's.

HaggardDawg
11-28-2017, 01:51 PM
This does seem like we might have a few people on the MSU payroll that is now working for UF's interests and hurting MSU's.

Her husband is Billy Begley and he?s still the head basketball coach at EMCC. She?s not going anywhere, which is why this bothers me.

Political Hack
11-28-2017, 01:51 PM

I assumed that meant she was gone to UF. You sure she’s not going with them?

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 01:53 PM
I'm sorry, the whole "Croom laid the foundation for discipline" kind of goes out the window when you remember we had players in an OK Coral gunfight ON CAMPUS in '08. Boobie himself said that had a major negative impact on the '08 season.

I forgot about Mike Brown. He was our starting LT who had NFL talent. Oddly enough, he came from UF. Croom left it better than he found it. When he got here, it was as dysfunctional of a college program as possible. Just take the Program and the Waterboy and mash them together and you would have our locker room. Lateral Move did improve on it but he didn't have to kick off a lot of the team because Croom already ran most of those guys off.

Coach34
11-28-2017, 01:54 PM
I think she is leaving also

HaggardDawg
11-28-2017, 02:00 PM
That would mean Billy would have to quit his job. She and Megan are best friends, I?m sure that?s why she went with her. Lee is a good person and doubt there?s anything sinister here. I just don?t like the look of it.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 02:00 PM
Her husband is Billy Begley and he?s still the head basketball coach at EMCC. She?s not going anywhere, which is why this bothers me.

Is this the same guy who was a walk on basketball player at MSU?

HaggardDawg
11-28-2017, 02:01 PM
Is this the same guy who was a walk on basketball player at MSU?

Yes

KentuckyDawg13
11-28-2017, 02:01 PM
If that is the case, who is MSU's recruiting coordinator NOW?

HaggardDawg
11-28-2017, 02:03 PM
If that is the case, who is MSU's recruiting coordinator NOW?

Good question. Lee is, but seems to be derelict of her duties.

bostondawg
11-28-2017, 02:12 PM
Cohen needs to call the entire staff together and say:
If you're leaving for Florida, go. Get the **** out.
If you're staying, let's get to work. No in between.

HaggardDawg
11-28-2017, 02:18 PM
Official: Lee Begley is now Director of Recruiting Operations at UF. Good call Coach34.

HaggardDawg
11-28-2017, 02:19 PM
Wonder if she saw this thread and saw the cat jumping out of the bag. Weird coincidence that she posts this on FB literally 3 min after we talk about it. The power of Elitedawgs i guess.

HoopsDawg
11-28-2017, 02:20 PM
Mullen is a good football coach but not great. He is a good offensive coach but lacks much innovation. He does what he does and makes sure we are good at it. And there is nothing wrong with that. I like Malzahn better personally from an offensive standpoint- because he innovates a little more. He does shit you haven?t seen before.

Mullen elevated the program and I?m thankful for that. He stabilized it. I just don?t think we would have ever won the West with him because of his conservatism and recruiting deficiencies. Our next guy hopefully can fill some of those voids Mullen had.

This is right on the money.

Coach34
11-28-2017, 02:21 PM
That would mean Billy would have to quit his job. She and Megan are best friends, I?m sure that?s why she went with her. Lee is a good person and doubt there?s anything sinister here. I just don?t like the look of it.

Why would he have to quit his job? They may live apart for awhile and then him look for a job in Fla

MedDawg
11-28-2017, 02:26 PM

Maybe Stricklin gave Billy Begley a basketball job

notthisshitagain
11-28-2017, 02:27 PM
Good question. Lee is, but seems to be derelict of her duties.

Mullen, Hevesy, Gonzales, and Begley are no longer listed on the MSU Football Staff web site, but Knox and Grantham are still listed:

http://www.hailstate.com/coaches.aspx?path=football

dawgoneyall
11-28-2017, 02:29 PM

Banks DC

BrunswickDawg
11-28-2017, 02:36 PM
I forgot about Mike Brown. He was our starting LT who had NFL talent. Oddly enough, he came from UF. Croom left it better than he found it. When he got here, it was as dysfunctional of a college program as possible. Just take the Program and the Waterboy and mash them together and you would have our locker room. Lateral Move did improve on it but he didn't have to kick off a lot of the team because Croom already ran most of those guys off.

Oh, no doubt it was better then when he (Croom) found it. I also know that Croom was still having issues, and was rumored to play favorites on discipline. I think Mullen did really instill a strong program of making sure the players were doing everything on and off the field in order to get PT. Sometimes, that may have been too strong (like with JRob - of course JRob seems to have been a real knucklehead), but that is hard to tell if you aren't inside the program. I really wonder how Dan is going to get his arms around the issues at UF. From the outside, it looks like they have major locker room and discipline issues that have been running rampant since the Spurrier days. That's not a recipe for success.

Political Hack
11-28-2017, 02:40 PM
Mullen, Hevesy, Gonzales, and Begley are no longer listed on the MSU Football Staff web site, but Knox and Grantham are still listed:

http://www.hailstate.com/coaches.aspx?path=football

If Knox is out, it happen today.

Grantham is probably, technically, a candidate for the head spot. Long shot but he’d stick around until told no I suppose. Also, given his reputation at UGA I’m not sure UF would support that hire as DC. He’s likely in wait and see mode on multiple fronts.

Randolph Dupree
11-28-2017, 02:43 PM
Knox and Grantham both taking lateral moves as of today (or late yesterday).

thf24
11-28-2017, 02:44 PM
I really wonder how Dan is going to get his arms around the issues at UF. From the outside, it looks like they have major locker room and discipline issues that have been running rampant since the Spurrier days. That's not a recipe for success.

I remembered yesterday that some were saying a while back that the cash card issue was going to get over 30 players before it was all said and done, wonder if that's over or if it's still working its way through the system.

Spiderman
11-28-2017, 04:36 PM

Please tell me you forgot the sarcastriks

Spiderman
11-28-2017, 04:41 PM

Best coach we have ever had. Hope we can get one as good. As for ceiling, winning an SEC championship in a perfect storm. We've been to Atlanta, just need to get back somehow and give ourselves another shot at it. Goal wise we should go to a bowl every year. If not, that's a failure

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 04:43 PM
Please tell me you forgot the sarcastriks

I am not sure I would make him a regular assistant coach but give the guy a GA spot or let him help with the strength program.

Dallas_Dawg
11-28-2017, 04:48 PM
We should hire the Last Chance U chick to fill Begley?s role

BulldogBear
11-28-2017, 07:27 PM
Cohen needs to call the entire staff together and say:
If you're leaving for Florida, go. Get the **** out.
If you're staying, let's get to work. No in between.

This, This, and This some more^^^