PDA

View Full Version : Tuesday Update - Is Pruitt the man?

confucius say
11-28-2017, 09:38 AM
"The Source?" Anybody? Still expecting announcement today?

Political Hack
11-28-2017, 09:52 AM
I don’t expect an announcement today unless things move rapidly this morning. The timetable I was originally told, and have been told from a few different angles, is that the hopes are to have everything in place for a Thursday announcement. Obviously that could easily change depending on how the search goes.

The good news is, based in the feedback I’ve gotten thus far, is that we’re likely going to be able to pick our top choice. Hopefully that holds.

TrapGame
11-28-2017, 09:52 AM
Yeah, after yesterday I'd like an update.

I wonder if a candidate called out of the blue that sent this search into absolute home run, grand slam territory.

confucius say
11-28-2017, 09:58 AM
I don’t expect an announcement today unless things move rapidly this morning. The timetable I was originally told, and have been told from a few different angles, is that the hopes are to have everything in place for a Thursday announcement. Obviously that could easily change depending on how the search goes.

The good news is, based in the feedback I’ve gotten thus far, is that we’re likely going to be able to pick our top choice. Hopefully that holds.

By top choice, you mean Pruitt?

mparkerfd20
11-28-2017, 10:12 AM
By top choice, you mean Pruitt?

He was the first to interview (supposedly) so if he isn't Top, I'd say he's Top 2.

Doggie_Style
11-28-2017, 10:13 AM
So if it's down to these four:

Moorehead - OC Penn State
Pruitt - DC Bama
Venables - DC Clemson
Clark - HC UAB

I think I'm leaning Moorehead....he has HC experience with innovative offence ideas...don't know much about his personality

TrapGame
11-28-2017, 10:18 AM

Pruitt - DC Bama
Venables - DC Clemson
Clark - HC UAB

I think I'm leaning Moorehead....he has HC experience with innovative offence ideas...don't know much about his personality

Wolken said he's like Mullen, cocky. I'm kind of leaning to Moorehead too. But, we have a bevy of good candidates.

BulldogDX55
11-28-2017, 10:19 AM

Pruitt - DC Bama
Venables - DC Clemson
Clark - HC UAB

I like Moorehead and love his offensive philosophy, but to keep our '18 class intact and to capitalize most effectively on the super talented '19 class, Pruitt needs to be the guy. I read a great article on him earlier- he has been following Saban around since he arrived in Alabama, so if some of that CEO knowledge hasn't rubbed off on him, I'd be shocked.

Political Hack
11-28-2017, 10:20 AM
Only thing with Moorehead is his lack of experience recruiting in the south and in the SEC. It’s a huge adjustment from Big Ten ball. See Arkansas... that gives me some concern, but if he’s smart as hell and driven he’ll still be fine. Cohen will sniff that out.

Rumor was that pruitt and Venables both had great interviews. Choice may be harder than we think, and no, I don’t think we’ve extended an offer to anyone yet. Obviously I don’t know that for a fact, but we’re definitely not in “wait and see” mode today.

TrapGame
11-28-2017, 10:21 AM
I like Moorehead and love his offensive philosophy, but to keep our '18 class intact and to capitalize most effectively on the super talented '19 class, Pruitt needs to be the guy. I read a great article on him earlier- he has been following Saban around since he arrived in Alabama, so if some of that CEO knowledge hasn't rubbed off on him, I'd be shocked.

Wolken said Richt and Pruitt butted heads because he wanted to do things the way Saban did them. He's a firm believer in the Saban Process.

parabrave
11-28-2017, 10:22 AM
Well alot of people out saying whoever we get we hit a HR>

MetEdDawg
11-28-2017, 10:23 AM
Wolken said Richt and Pruitt butted heads because he wanted to do things the way Saban did them. He's a firm believer in the Saban Process.

And I agree with him. We may not be Bama, but I don't understand why some people have an aversion to do things like he does them. He's been successful literally everywhere he has gone.

Pruitt is a winner and I think after this amount of time he knows what it takes to win. If he thinks that's the process Saban uses, then bring that man in. I like to win and I want us to hire someone that not only likes to win, but really really hates to lose.

Dawg61
11-28-2017, 10:23 AM

Pruitt - DC Bama
Venables - DC Clemson
Clark - HC UAB

The coaches Pruitt will bring with him and his recruiting expertise tends me to lean his way. To be fair though we know more about who he would bring with him than anyone else though so the table is tilted his way cause of that. Venables is also very intriguing to me. He has been very successful for a very long time. He's never been a coach on a team with a losing season in 21 seasons.

Is Jimbo Fisher causing a delay for everyone here? Rumors going around that he might take the aTm job or is this just another Sexton ploy for money thing. (no idea if Jimbo is a Sexton client)

Really Clark?
11-28-2017, 10:26 AM
Sexton is Jimbo's agent

Commercecomet24
11-28-2017, 10:27 AM
The coaches Pruitt will bring with him and his recruiting expertise tends me to lean his way. To be fair though we know more about who he would bring with him than anyone else though so the table is tilted his way cause of that. Venables is also very intriguing to me. He has been very successful for a very long time. He's never been a coach on a team with a losing season in 21 seasons.

Is Jimbo Fisher causing a delay for everyone here? Rumors going around that he might take the aTm job or is this just another Sexton ploy for money thing. (no idea if Jimbo is a Sexton client)

Jimbo is a Sexton client. I just read an article that FSU fans are pissed because Jimbo does this every year. Jimbo to _______school every year and then extorts a raise out of FSU. And Jimbo's responses to questions are just like Don's, love my job, great place to be, blah,blah,blah exactly the same like Sexton has given them a script.

Dawgface
11-28-2017, 10:29 AM
Well alot of people out saying whoever we get we hit a HR>

MSU is a good job now days. We should get a good hire.

Dawg61
11-28-2017, 10:29 AM
Jimbo is a Sexton client. I just read an article that FSU fans are pissed because Jimbo does this every year. Jimbo to _______school every year and then extorts a raise out of FSU. And Jimbo's responses to questions are just like Don's, love my job, great place to be, blah,blah,blah exactly the same like Sexton has given them a script.

Sexton is herpes

Political Hack
11-28-2017, 10:30 AM

Yep. Tired of his games. Really don’t feel like being used as a pawn twice in the same week by Sexton.

1bigdawg
11-28-2017, 10:30 AM

I don't think Fischer is a factor in our situation. I think Scott Frost is waiting to see what he does before committing to Nebraska.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 10:31 AM
At this point, I trust Cohen to make a great hire. It seems like we have a lot of great options. On the flip side, UM hired Matt Luke. Hahahahahahaha

bostondawg
11-28-2017, 10:33 AM
I also have concern about Moorehead as a recruiter. MSU doesn't recruit itself, and you won't be successful at MSU if you're a lazy recruiter, no matter how good of a coach you are.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 10:35 AM
I don't think Fischer is a factor in our situation. I think Scott Frost is waiting to see what he does before committing to Nebraska.

I think Frost has said all he can since he has a game on Saturday. He basically said that he would be hurt if Nebraska didn't interview him but he also has to concentrate on his team. I figure his agent is working on the Nebraska deal and he will be announced probably Monday. Jimbo also has a game on Saturday trying to get them to a bowl so he won't announce until after that. I think we will have a coach before that so I don't think either situation is holding us up.

TrapGame
11-28-2017, 10:36 AM
I also have concern about Moorehead as a recruiter. MSU doesn't recruit itself, and you won't be successful at MSU if you're a lazy recruiter, no matter how good of a coach you are.

Wolken was trying to talk down the notion that Yankees can't recruit the South but I think he's wrong on that one. Dan was exactly giving these high school coaches the warm and fuzzies when he would call on them even after he' been here for a few years.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 10:43 AM
Wolken was trying to talk down the notion that Yankees can't recruit the South but I think he's wrong on that one. Dan was exactly giving these high school coaches the warm and fuzzies when he would call on them even after he' been here for a few years.

Dan was also an asshole so it might not have just been the whole Yankee thing.

smootness
11-28-2017, 10:50 AM
James Franklin killed it in recruiting in the South at Vandy. He's as northern as it gets.

ILOATHEBears
11-28-2017, 10:50 AM
Dan was also an asshole so it might not have just been the whole Yankee thing.

Was? Don still is an a$$hole!

Commercecomet24
11-28-2017, 11:11 AM
Yep. Tired of his games. Really don?t feel like being used as a pawn twice in the same week by Sexton.

Hate that guy! I grew up in the country. Spent a lot of my time helping my grandfather on his farm and I watched him do deal after deal with people in the community with just a handshake and a promise, they didn't need anything else,no agents,contracts or lawyers and everybody kept their promises. I grew up being taught that a mans word was the most important thing he had. It wasn't that long ago.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2017, 11:12 AM
Some thoughts on the main candidates:

Pruitt - My top choice. Will absolutely raise the talent level at MSU, owns the room, speaks with thoughtfulness, & has the pedigree. Biggest concern is that he is Will Muschamp 2.0 & has no clue what to do on offense. However, his high school back ground gives me confidence that he can figure it out. High schools coaches aren't able to pick their players & thus are bred to be more flexible. While Pruitt has coached at blue blood programs, he is not a blue blood coach. He fits MSU, &, due to his high school coaching background, is a self made man that has worked his way up. Checks the most boxes with the best chance of figuring out the boxes he does not check. I'm in on this hire.

Moorehead - Elite offensive mind that I would be OK hiring. I think he would score points & be a solid head coach. My biggest concern is the combination of lack of recruiting ties & his personality. You better be a war daddy on the recruiting trail in this conference & I see his personality being closer to Bret Bielema than Nick Saban, which also lacked recruiting ties to the South. Moorehead will be a great head coach for someone, but I think it will be Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, etc. Just not sure it's a great fit. Cohen must answer the recruiting question to hire this guy.

Brent Venables - Great resume & obviously an elite coach, but I would need to find out why he has not become a head coach yet after being an elite DC for 15 years. Cohen must answer that question. Is he Mike Zimmer 2.0 or John Chavis?

Commercecomet24
11-28-2017, 11:20 AM

Pruitt - My top choice. Will absolutely raise the talent level at MSU, owns the room, speaks with thoughtfulness, & has the pedigree. Biggest concern is that he is Will Muschamp 2.0 & has no clue what to do on offense. However, his high school back ground gives me confidence that he can figure it out. High schools coaches aren't able to pick their players & thus are bred to be more flexible. While Pruitt has coached at blue blood programs, he is not a blue blood coach. He fits MSU, &, due to his high school coaching background, is a self made man that has worked his way up. Checks the most boxes with the best chance of figuring out the boxes he does not check. I'm in on this hire.

Moorehead - Elite offensive mind that I would be OK hiring. I think he would score points & be a solid head coach. My biggest concern is the combination of lack of recruiting ties & his personality. You better be a war daddy on the recruiting trail in this conference & I see his personality being closer to Bret Bielema than Nick Saban, which also lacked recruiting ties to the South. Moorehead will be a great head coach for someone, but I think it will be Pitt, Syracuse, Rutgers, etc. Just not sure it's a great fit. Cohen must answer the recruiting question to hire this guy.

Brent Venables - Great resume & obviously an elite coach, but I would need to find out why he has not become a head coach yet after being an elite DC for 15 years. Cohen must answer that question. Is he Mike Zimmer 2.0 or John Chavis?

Thats my order too. I really like Moorehead but just feels like he's a better fit in the northeast or upper midwest. Really like Pruitt now that i've found out more about him.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2017, 11:24 AM
Thats my order too. I really like Moorehead but just feels like he's a better fit in the northeast or upper midwest. Really like Pruitt now that i've found out more about him.

Yeah, the key to Pruitt IMO is his HS back ground. It verifies what you are getting & offers real hope that he has that innate gene to figure out how to move the football.

There is no perfect option in this search. All these coaches have a flaw. It's up to Cohen to figure out which of these coaches has the best chance of fixing that flaw.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 11:28 AM

He seems to have some good connections to good offensive coaches. If he brings Napier or Lindsey and Friend as Co-OC then I think that would be a homerun type hire. As long as he would let them run the offense and not be like Lateral Move always meddling with the defense.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2017, 11:28 AM
Yeah, the key to Pruitt IMO is his HS back ground. It verifies what you are getting

I've talked to some people that know him personally. The guy is genuine, what you see is what you get. He's frank and honest and doesn't pull any punches, but he's not a jerk about it either, it's why players and recruits love him.

sleepy dawg
11-28-2017, 11:37 AM
And I agree with him. We may not be Bama, but I don't understand why some people have an aversion to do things like he does them. He's been successful literally everywhere he has gone.

Pruitt is a winner and I think after this amount of time he knows what it takes to win. If he thinks that's the process Saban uses, then bring that man in. I like to win and I want us to hire someone that not only likes to win, but really really hates to lose.

Because you can't outsaben Saben with less than Saben.