PDA

View Full Version : Long Article But A Good One On How Joe Moorhead Developed His Offense

yjnkdawg
11-27-2017, 11:35 PM
In April 2017, SI and Yahoo said he was the number one rising assistant coach in D1 Football.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/09/20/joe-moorhead-penn-state-offense-fordham

Gridirondawg
11-27-2017, 11:46 PM
If we go with an offensive guy this is the one.

preachermatt83
11-27-2017, 11:52 PM
That article intrigued me

dawgday166
11-28-2017, 12:04 AM
As the preacher said ... very intriguing.

yjnkdawg
11-28-2017, 12:07 AM
That's why I posted it, because it intrigued me too. Thought it may be of interest to some on here.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2017, 12:12 AM
Holy Cow.....

What I got out of that is that Morehead is a freaking football coach. Like a read deal, cutting edge, bad ass football coach.

The other thing that I love is how his philosophies fit MSU. Cutting edge, does more with less, always looking for the next edge, etc.. He strikes me as a self made coach that invented his offense & thus can fix any problem.

WOW. Thank goodness we are interviewing this guy. He sounds to me like the next Chip Kelly.

I couldn't be more giddy about what I just read. Cohen has certainly done his home work & knows who fits MSU

This guy sounds like Mullen 2.0, but instead of Urban inventing this stuff, Morehead actually invented it

yjnkdawg
11-28-2017, 12:17 AM
Holy Cow.....

What I got out of that is that Morehead is a freaking football coach. Like a read deal, cutting edge, bad ass football coach.

The other thing that I love is how his philosophies fit MSU. Cutting edge, does more with less, always looking for the next edge, etc.. He strikes me as a self made coach that invented his offense & thus can fix any problem.

WOW. Thank goodness we are interviewing this guy. He sounds to me like the next Chip Kelly.

I couldn't be more giddy about what I just read. Cohen has certainly done his home work & knows who fits MSU

Cohen definitely knows what he is doing. That's why people don't need to get uptight because a coach hasn't been announced yet. He is trying to find the perfect fit for MSU to help get us to the next level.

Lloyd Christmas
11-28-2017, 12:18 AM
In April 2017, SI and Yahoo said he was the number one rising assistant coach in D1 Football.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/09/20/joe-moorhead-penn-state-offense-fordham

Holy hell I love this guy - that article is incredible. Hope Cohen gives him a good long look.

Todd4State
11-28-2017, 12:20 AM
This guy is a special talent in terms of coaching. I like Pruitt a lot but it would be hard for me to not hire him if he can surround himself with some good recruiters and an aggressive defense like Grantham's.

dawgday166
11-28-2017, 12:21 AM
This guy is a special talent in terms of coaching. I like Pruitt a lot but it would be hard for me to not hire him if he can surround himself with some good recruiters and an aggressive defense like Grantham's.

That's what I was thinking too.

Todd4State
11-28-2017, 12:21 AM
Holy Cow.....

This guy sounds like Mullen 2.0, but instead of Urban inventing this stuff, Morehead actually invented it

And unlike Dan he has actual head coaching experience. And won big.

ScottH
11-28-2017, 12:24 AM
Thought stolen froma 247 poster......

Moorehead is close to Chip Kelly's career trajectory if you lay them side by side up until Head Coach at Oregon.

yjnkdawg
11-28-2017, 12:25 AM

I was 100% Pruitt too, but this article really impressed or more like intrigued me. Whoever Cohen decides to hire, I'm Ok with.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2017, 12:27 AM
The fact that Tennessee or no one else has interviewed this guy tells me that too many schools are more worried about winning the press conference than they are about hiring a great football coach.

Then they wonder why they suck & have to repeat the process 4-5 years later

Commercecomet24
11-28-2017, 12:28 AM
Dang this guy has Mississippi State written all over him!

PassInterference
11-28-2017, 12:29 AM
I think offensive coaches are a more rare commodity than defensive ones. At least that?s been the case at MSU.

Plus the current state of college football is an offensive era.

So give me the offensive guru over the defensive guru.

Yeah, Saban is a defense guy but that?s not what makes him Saban. He excells at leadership and building success in organizations.

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2017, 12:31 AM
I'm good if we hire this guy.

I realize that recruiting is a concern, but, with his offense & a solid DC, we'll win 9-11 games next year & he'll then have all the credibility he'll need to recruit.

If he makes the right DC hire, we can win the SEC West with this guy next year.

Has a little bit of a Malzahn feel to him as well

The other thing that stood out to me in the article was how much his players like playing for him & confidence he brings. He's more than an Xs & Os guy

ckDOG
11-28-2017, 12:41 AM
I'm definitely not an x and o guy, but offense description sounds a lot like the Freeze offense. Guy sounds promising but can he recruit down here?

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2017, 12:48 AM
I'm definitely not an x and o guy, but offense description sounds a lot like the Freeze offense. Guy sounds promising but can he recruit down here?

I thought the same thing when I watched his Youtube video.

This guy is a hell of coach. Besides recruiting, my biggest concern with him how quickly Fitz could pick up this offense. It's a vertical offense with passing concepts that appear very different from Mullen

HoopsDawg
11-28-2017, 12:49 AM
I'm sold. Hire this guy and surround him with recruiters.

Irondawg
11-28-2017, 12:57 AM
I'm intrigued, but agree it's a bit more of a vertical offense and we are in no way built for that right now.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2017, 12:58 AM
I thought the same thing when I watched his Youtube video.

This guy is a hell of coach. Besides recruiting, my biggest concern with him how quickly Fitz could pick up this offense. It's a vertical offense with passing concepts that appear very different from Mullen

That?s the thing this is a very simplistic system to learn based on what the d is showing. Fitz and our rbs would go off in this system.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2017, 12:59 AM
I'm sold. Hire this guy and surround him with recruiters.

This guy looks to be a brilliant offensive mind. Innovator

ShotgunDawg
11-28-2017, 01:01 AM
I'll trust Cohen on this one, but this guy is going to be an excellent head coach & score a crap ton of points for someone

Would be ideal if we could just pay Grantham 2 mil to stay on as DC & pay this guy 3.5 to be the head guy

calidawg
11-28-2017, 01:10 AM
His RB at Fordham had over 1500 yards rushing in back to back seasons and won the FCS player of the year award and he made saquan barkley a heisman candidate. He uses the run game to set up one on one matchups in the passing game and utilizes the deep ball to spread the field out. He adapts to his personnel. I've watched a couple of interviews of this guy. He's low energy but extremely intelligent. No idea how he would handle the pressure of recruiting and being an SEC HC, but he's a heck of a coach

Westdawg
11-28-2017, 01:40 AM
Loved his concept on the split flow zone. That?s good stuff. Like how he utilizes the TE within the offense.
Just really good stuff. I would like to hear him speak on his offense at a clinic

Commercecomet24
11-28-2017, 01:47 AM
One of the coolest things I saw in the article was when one of his assistants said he can neutralize the interior players on a defense in the run game. That?s so crucial in the SEC.

Todd4State
11-28-2017, 02:08 AM

I just watched some video of their game against Michigan. His pass route tree is WAY more diverse than Freeze. Typically it looked like he would come out in an empty set and then the running back in the slot would motion to one side or the other of the QB which I think is a great idea because you don't tip off which side the running back is on pre snap. He used his running backs as receivers sometimes- I could see Dear and Hill being beasts in this offense. He had a variation of the wildcat where instead of the QB going out wide he basically just switched places with the running back.

redstickdawg
11-28-2017, 08:44 AM
This is the best candidate that I have seen so far, better than another DC. We need to keep up with an offensive mindset and develop QB's, the most important position on the field.

Dawgface
11-28-2017, 09:10 AM
Hmmm....does look like another good option. I may have missed it but has he already been interviewed?

BrunswickDawg
11-28-2017, 09:57 AM
A full-field RPO system?? Sign him up. Fitz and Key could have a field day.

I could really see Cohen hiring this guy. Cohen likes intelligent coaches. And this guy seems off the charts.

dparker
11-28-2017, 10:07 AM
I really like that he's an offense guy and has HC experience. I think it fits with the type of hire we should make to keep the ball rolling.

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 10:22 AM
I think this guy would be great if he can recruit in the South. I really don't think Cohen can make a terrible hire between Pruitt, Venerables, or him. Also throw in some other names and we seem to have some great options to replace Lateral Move.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-28-2017, 10:29 AM
Dang this guy has Mississippi State written all over him!

A guy from the Bronx has Mississippi State written all over him? WTF? If he is hired our recruiting class would say "Who the hell is this guy....bye" I don't care how good of a coach he is, he wouldn't fit in here at all!! He is headed for a Big Ten head coaching gig and that would be what's best for him.

Boston
11-28-2017, 10:34 AM
A guy from the Bronx has Mississippi State written all over him? WTF? If he is hired our recruiting class would say "Who the hell is this guy....bye" I don't care how good of a coach he is, he wouldn't fit in here at all!! He is headed for a Big Ten head coaching gig and that would be what's best for him.

Yeah cause a guy from the north east could never win here!*******

BigEasyDawg
11-28-2017, 10:35 AM
If he becomes our coach, Kylin Hill will be a Heisman contender by 2019.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-28-2017, 10:37 AM
Yeah cause a guy from the north east could never win here!*******

the one in Gainesville? That couldnt recruit for shit! Mullen was an "offensive genius" too remember. But it don't get you anywhere in the SEC without TOP TALENT!! That was Mullen's weakness, we all know that. I havent heard one person in this slobberfest thread mention anything about how good can Moorhead recruit. Do we really want Mullen 2.0? Really?