PDA

View Full Version : A different topic / 4th quarter

bgover4
11-27-2017, 11:06 PM
Do we retire Journey?

I think we need to change it up to something new. I hate to stop that because it's really cool but it's something that is associated with Doug and we can definitely come up with something new....

Who's got suggestions?

Todd4State
11-27-2017, 11:23 PM
Don't Stop Believing is a MSU thing- NOT a Dan thing. So, my suggestion is we keep doing it. We didn't stop ringing cowbells because Ralph Sasse had a nervous breakdown or the Dawg Pound Rock because Jackie left.

WildDawg
11-27-2017, 11:41 PM
Next year - Florida game only - when we go up 35-10 in the 4th Q:
Look What You Made Me Do - Taylor Swift

3rdGen
11-28-2017, 12:02 AM
Do we retire Journey?

I think we need to change it up to something new. I hate to stop that because it's really cool but it's something that is associated with Doug and we can definitely come up with something new....

Who's got suggestions?

RETIRE THAT SHIT ALREADY!!!!!! ITS OVER FOLKS!!!! SOME THINGS NEED TO GO WITH THE PEOPLE WHO ARE NO LONGER WITH US!!!!

BE A TRUE FRIEND TO THE CROWN AND FIND SOMETHING NEW!!!!!

DILLY!! DILLY!!!

BeardoMSU
11-28-2017, 12:06 AM
RETIRE THAT SHIT ALREADY!!!!!! ITS OVER FOLKS!!!! SOME THINGS NEED TO GO WITH THE PEOPLE WHO ARE NO LONGER WITH US!!!!

BE A TRUE FRIEND TO THE CROWN AND FIND SOMETHING NEW!!!!!

DILLY!! DILLY!!!

Holy caps lock, Batman!**

https://i.imgur.com/40ZDbn2.gif

3rdGen
11-28-2017, 12:08 AM
Don't Stop Believing is a MSU thing- NOT a Dan thing. So, my suggestion is we keep doing it. We didn't stop ringing cowbells because Ralph Sasse had a nervous breakdown or the Dawg Pound Rock because Jackie left.

Sir, you are overstepping a line here. I am gonna call you on it. Don't you dare compare the cowbell or DPR to that cheesy ass DSB. Don't, just don't. Not even related or comparable, terrible.....

dawgday166
11-28-2017, 12:09 AM
My main thing with 4th qtr is I hope the next coach will actually teach the offense how to run a 2 minute drill.

BeardoMSU
11-28-2017, 12:10 AM
Sir, you are overstepping a line here. I am gonna call you on it. Don't you dare compare the cowbell or DPR to that cheesy ass DSB. Don't, just don't. Not even related or comparable, terrible.....

ruh, roh

https://media.giphy.com/media/SF4aJKqEchIiY/giphy.gif

3rdGen
11-28-2017, 12:10 AM
Holy caps lock, Batman!**

https://i.imgur.com/40ZDbn2.gif

OH that was just my relentless strain!!!

nsvltndog
11-28-2017, 12:28 AM
I'd really like to keep it.

Bulldogg31
11-28-2017, 12:46 AM
Keep it. It's one of the coolest things we do. If you don't get it, sorry.

Dan Mullen didn't write that song and he's not the only person who likes it. It's the #1 most downloaded song of any song from the 20th Century.

Nobody that participates in that song associates it with Dan Mullen, it's a Mississippi State thing.

ScoobaDawg
11-28-2017, 12:54 AM
Kill it. It was started for Dan.

BrunswickDawg
11-28-2017, 08:34 AM
Here is the thing - if the players want to keep it, then keep it. I know that seems like an odd way to look at it, but if you watch them on the sideline they participate in it too. Hell, Fitz has always hammed it up and gone full blow Steve Perry when it comes on. For our rising RS Seniors (like Fitz), it is something they have been doing since the A&M game 2014 - that's basically their entire career at State. It may have started as a lark because it was Dan's favorite song - but its the participation of the fans and the team that made it their own and made it into a cool tradition. You don't kill something that took off that organically just because "Don liked the song, and Don is gone."

Bulldogg31
11-28-2017, 08:38 AM
This is true. I know we are mostly guys, but half the crowd at every home game is wives, daughters, girlfriends. First thing my daughter asked me when she heard about Mullen leaving was "will we still get to do the Journey song at the 4th Quarter?"

There's a lot more to our gameday experience than the game (thank goodness). Frankly, our gameday sucked for a long long time.
It's one of the best in the country now and we don't need to start killing things just because we had a coaching change. We'll have others after this one.

raymond21
11-28-2017, 08:40 AM
It was Dan’s idea, it has to go

Drugdog
11-28-2017, 08:45 AM
It was Dan’s idea, it has to go

So was expanding the stadium, new weight room, coaches office, etc.., guess we should get rid of that too. Grow up people. It is part of the entertainment of the game and it is a hit. If we can improve on it, then so be it, but not because our coach is gone.

BrunswickDawg
11-28-2017, 08:46 AM
So was expanding the stadium, new weight room, coaches office, etc.., guess we should get rid of that too. Grow up people. It is part of the entertainment of the game and it is a hit. If we can improve on it, then so be it, but not because our coach is gone.

And every sports writer that comes to DWS for a game raves about how cool it is. You don't kill that. If anything, you keep it going in SPITE of Don.

Liverpooldawg
11-28-2017, 09:00 AM
People love it. Keep it. If we have to get rid of everything that was Mullen’s idea then we have to run off the entire team and tear down a lot of construction. Some of you sound like two year olds.

fader2103
11-28-2017, 09:05 AM
I say we keep it. It has brought attention from national sportswriters saying its one of the greatest sights they've seen. Way better than Bama's SC coach hollering.

Dawgology
11-28-2017, 09:07 AM
Really? A school that has few game day traditions develops a tradition that becomes beloved by almost every person that attends the game, videos of it go viral, and you guys want to end it. That is dumbass. You will be the same ones that complain about cowbells being our only traditions. Stop being foolish.

Dawgology
11-28-2017, 09:09 AM
Do we retire Journey?

Who's got suggestions?

No. Just no. Dan left get your panties out of a wad. Your acting like a little girl whose crush broke up with her. We keep it. It’s ours.

Bulldogg31
11-28-2017, 09:11 AM
This is what a few people want to kill since we had a coaching change:

WATCH: Mississippi State fans create incredible scene while singing to Journey

https://www.seccountry.com/mississippi-state/watch-mississippi-state-fans-create-incredible-scene-singing-journey

Dawgology
11-28-2017, 09:15 AM

https://www.seccountry.com/mississippi-state/watch-mississippi-state-fans-create-incredible-scene-singing-journey

We are BY FAR our worst enemy.

bgover4
11-28-2017, 09:17 AM
I'm not trying to be petty here. But I feel with a new coach, we can find a new message. I enjoy DSB but i think we all believe now. I am all for finding something that keeps the crowd involved and keeping the tradition but i don't believe it has to be DSB. If we can't find anything better then i am fine with keeping it, i just see an opportunity to possibly improve.

Dawg
11-28-2017, 09:21 AM
Keep it. It guarantees they won't show Bullock Toyota ads for at least 3 minutes. My kids bring our old cell phones and ask all game when the song is so they can wave them with the flash on. It is an MSU deal, not a DM deal. If we stop doing it, then it infers that all of those great moments at the start of the 4th quarter were Dan's and not ours.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2017, 09:25 AM

Dan Mullen didn't create this scene or atmosphere, Mississippi State fans did. This is ours and we should keep it. That scene sends chills down your spine.

TrapGame
11-28-2017, 09:26 AM
If every college killed a tradition b/c it was linked to a coach that left we'd have a lot of places that would sit around with thumbs up their asses during games.

Just sayin'.

Commercecomet24
11-28-2017, 09:27 AM
If every college killed a tradition b/c it was linked to a coach that left we'd have a lot of places that would sit around with thumbs up their asses during games.

Just sayin'.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to TrapGame again.

fader2103
11-28-2017, 09:28 AM
I honestly think we should get Journey for Sept. 29th and have them sing song live to start the 4th quarter

BrunswickDawg
11-28-2017, 09:33 AM
I honestly think we should get Journey for Sept. 29th and have them sing song live to start the 4th quarter

Have them do a full concert for Bulldog Bash the night before, then do DSB.

http://www.irishstu.com/stublog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/make-it-so.jpg

3rdGen
11-28-2017, 09:34 AM
Here is my thing honestly I know I said it had to go with the people who started it, but in reality it has nothing to do with "DON" as we call him now, to me it is just a cheesy ass song that makes me want to poke holes in my eardrums. It literally could be any type of motivational or inspiring song on the earth but a 17in 1981 power ballad. I know the kids love it because they get to get up with the phone and wave it but we could do that to literally any other song and maybe could get the little ones to get creative with it and learn a sequence (somebody write that down, Stadium lights shut off and dog pound rock back and forth with the phones. Done!!). I just don't like it and I know its not going away so I will bitch about it just cuz.

RougeDawg
11-28-2017, 10:01 AM
I say we keep it. It has brought attention from national sportswriters saying its one of the greatest sights they've seen. Way better than Bama's SC coach hollering.

I CANT HEAR YOUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

Maroonthirteen
11-28-2017, 10:11 AM
Here?s my deal.......

If we are in a big game, hanging on to a lead, I get it. Bama game this year, perfect. Save It for those games. Doing it every game makes it less effective in a perfect situation.

Pollodawg
11-28-2017, 10:19 AM
Absolutely. I?ve never seen the big deal with the song period.

fader2103
11-28-2017, 10:21 AM
Here is my thing honestly I know I said it had to go with the people who started it, but in reality it has nothing to do with "DON" as we call him now, to me it is just a cheesy ass song that makes me want to poke holes in my eardrums. It literally could be any type of motivational or inspiring song on the earth but a 17in 1981 power ballad. I know the kids love it because they get to get up with the phone and wave it but we could do that to literally any other song and maybe could get the little ones to get creative with it and learn a sequence (somebody write that down, Stadium lights shut off and dog pound rock back and forth with the phones. Done!!). I just don't like it and I know its not going away so I will bitch about it just cuz.

Jake Wimberly is that you?

sleepy dawg
11-28-2017, 11:22 AM
I wish we could do things sometimes but not all the time and this is one of those. For some reason our game day experience is the same, every time. The first time we played don't stop believing it meant something. At this point, its all just going through the motions. It would be cool if we only didn't in games that mattered and there was a reason to not stop believing. It would be cool if they only did the SNL skit a couple of times a year, and other times they did the bad to the bone intro.

Maybe I'm alone, but I just have no excitement about the things we do every single time outside of our fight songs and such.

sleepy dawg
11-28-2017, 11:56 AM
Here?s my deal.......

If we are in a big game, hanging on to a lead, I get it. Bama game this year, perfect. Save It for those games. Doing it every game makes it less effective in a perfect situation.

I didn't see this before I posted, but... THIS. This is exactly my opinion.

MeridianDog
11-28-2017, 12:05 PM
As long as we want new traditions, We need a raspberry button on ED, for use on posts like this one.

Most fans like the song and happily sing it. It has become our thing and there are other schools who would love to have it be their thing. Wherever "the name who will not be mentioned" (TNWWNBM) went, he would probably like to see the song go, and as long as we do it, it will be less special to him, because he left it with us.

Keep it.

MeridianDog
11-28-2017, 12:08 PM
I wish we could do things sometimes but not all the time and this is one of those. For some reason our game day experience is the same, every time. The first time we played don't stop believing it meant something. At this point, its all just going through the motions. It would be cool if we only didn't in games that mattered and there was a reason to not stop believing. It would be cool if they only did the SNL skit a couple of times a year, and other times they did the bad to the bone intro.

Maybe I'm alone, but I just have no excitement about the things we do every single time outside of our fight songs and such.

The thing is - if behind or ahead. If a blow out or a close game. If Bama or USM. - Don't stop believing!

That is what the words mean.

Dawgtini
11-28-2017, 12:23 PM
Keep it. It's one of the coolest things we do. If you don't get it, sorry.

Dan Mullen didn't write that song and he's not the only person who likes it. It's the #1 most downloaded song of any song from the 20th Century.

Nobody that participates in that song associates it with Dan Mullen, it's a Mississippi State thing.

This. I agree. It's a Mississippi State thing and it is really cool on tv and in person.

Maroonthirteen
11-28-2017, 12:30 PM

Yep! While we are on the topic....the freaking ‘let’s pick the next random song based on crowd noise’ State Farm ad. We don’t have to pick a song every daggum game. Just gauge what’s going on in the moment, pick an appropriate song and announce it is sponsored but State Farm.

Political Hack
11-28-2017, 12:36 PM
THE worst part of that tradition - Dan - is gone. The rest of it is pretty cool.

To let Mullen ?own? Don?t Stop Believing is sort of chicken shit in my personal opinion. Maybe we should get rid of the chain, stop using HailState, and quit referring to Ole Miss and mississippi or TSUN too.