PDA

View Full Version : Brent Venables in for an interview?

runwildjerious
11-27-2017, 06:34 PM
Brent Venables in for an interview. Thoughts?

-We don't link to that rebel site. - Scooba

msstatelp1
11-27-2017, 06:37 PM
Wouldn't doubt it. Cohen is hedging his bet. If Pruitt doesn't accept then he's got his next guy ready.

Political Hack
11-27-2017, 06:37 PM
Isn’t that the site that shows never right on anything?

dawgday166
11-27-2017, 06:39 PM
Rosie saying it too.

Political Hack
11-27-2017, 06:42 PM
Rosie saying it too.

Good. Due diligence while waiting possibly. Would potentially be a strong hire too imo.

dawgday166
11-27-2017, 06:48 PM
Rosie also saying Chad Morris and Ryan Day will be interviewed.

ShotgunDawg
11-27-2017, 06:49 PM
Important to interview multiple people so Sexton doesn’t have you by the balls

Commercecomet24
11-27-2017, 06:50 PM
Yeah you have to do due diligence.

Fred Garvin
11-27-2017, 06:51 PM
Wouldn't doubt it. Cohen is hedging his bet. If Pruitt doesn't accept then he's got his next guy ready.

If you don't have a competition, you ain't negotiating.

Dawg61
11-27-2017, 06:52 PM
Kiffin?

mparkerfd20
11-27-2017, 06:53 PM
If we are still interviewing the fact is we haven't offered Pruitt.

Pollodawg
11-27-2017, 06:55 PM
At least we are interviewing. People are returning our calls. Unlike some other places.

Dawgology

Or we have and this is a negotiation tactic.

Gutter Cobreh

Not necessarily. You can schedule interviews with an offer on the table to someone else.

preachermatt83
11-27-2017, 06:56 PM

Not true at all. Cohen is lining out a plan b while he waits for Pruitt to decide.

Coldsleeve Jr.

Or UT making a push for Pruitt

Dawgology
http://cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=62283

Dispatch headline FWIW

Really Clark?
11-27-2017, 06:57 PM

Not necessarily. Pretty common to continue interviewing potential coaches even if you have offered one the job. You can't wait around and drag out the process unnecessarily

dawgday166
11-27-2017, 06:57 PM
Venebles has been interviewed. Morris and Day are yet to be interviewed.

mparkerfd20
11-27-2017, 06:58 PM
That's the positive spin anyway. Reality is probably somewhere in between.

HoopsDawg
11-27-2017, 06:59 PM
I like Venables more than Pruitt.

msstate7
11-27-2017, 07:00 PM
Venebles has been interviewed. Morris and Day are yet to be interviewed.

I like Venables just as much as Pruitt.. maybe more

Dawg61
11-27-2017, 07:02 PM
Venables has a ton of experience and has never been on a losing team. He was DC for Oklahoma for seven straight years and has been DC for Clemson since 2012. He'd be a homerun hire imo. I like Pruitt. I'd be thrilled with Venables.

BuckyIsAB****
11-27-2017, 07:03 PM
If we dont consider Kiffin it is our own fault when he goes somewhere else and wins big. But Venables, Pruitt would be a good hire. I might actually be higher on Venables than Pruitt, only deal is we go back to 4-3 with Venables although Im sure he does some of both. Im higher on Lane than both of them though. Nobody wants to beat Sabans ass more than Lane Kiffin does

dawgday166
11-27-2017, 07:06 PM
If we dont consider Kiffin it is our own fault when he goes somewhere else and wins big

We gonna get him for OC. Need Venables to be the adult in the room ******

BuckyIsAB****
11-27-2017, 07:08 PM
We gonna get him for OC. Need Venables to be the adult in the room ******

Ha say what you want but Kiffin has swag and aint afraid to let you know about it

Really Clark?
11-27-2017, 07:08 PM
If we dont consider Kiffin it is our own fault when he goes somewhere else and wins big

All these job openings and AD's are not exactly knocking on his door. Maybe he gets interviewed down the line when teams start struggling to find someone but it should be a red flag to everyone that his name is not out there. And Sexton is his agent as well so you know it would be if he could.

Dawg61
11-27-2017, 07:13 PM
All these job openings and AD's are not exactly knocking on his door. Maybe he gets interviewed down the line when teams start struggling to find someone but it should be a red flag to everyone that his name is not out there. And Sexton is his agent as well so you know it would be if he could.

I actually look at this as a positive for Venables. The guy can clearly coach and he's been ranked a top recruiter in the country before and the fact everyone keeps passing on him can only build his drive to prove his haters wrong even more. People are petty and will pass on someone cause of appearance or how he talks or something stupid like that. I think I rank Venables my top choice of all. Maybe us giving him his shot finally will be paid back with him not ****ing us over 9 years down the road.

dawgday166
11-27-2017, 07:14 PM
Ha say what you want but Kiffin has swag and aint afraid to let you know about it

Does Saban have "swag" ... Meyer, Swinney, Fisher, Harbaugh, Franklin. They don't walk around like they're trying to prove something like Kiffen or Mullen or Swag Kelley. Just saying.

Would Kiffen do pretty well here. Probably so.

ETA: I guess I probably would prefer someone who say "We ain't very good" yet shows up and kicks your butt. Doesn't talk a lot of shit, just does it repeatedly.

BuckyIsAB****
11-27-2017, 07:19 PM
Does Saban have "swag" ... Meyer, Swinney, Fisher, Harbaugh, Franklin. They don't walk around like they're trying to prove something like Kiffen or Mullen or Swag Kelley. Just saying.

ETA: I guess I probably would prefer someone who say "We ain't very good" yet shows up and kicks your butt. Doesn't talk a lot of shit, just does it repeatedly.

To each his own. I would rather a guy know hes gonna kick your ass and let you know while hes doing it and after. Lane would shove it so far up Ole Miss's ass theyd never recover. He also has a chip on his shoulder, nobody wants to beat Saban like Kiffin does

civildawg
11-27-2017, 07:21 PM
It?s been reported that Venables has had a few offers but none were the right fit for him. I?m guessing they were lower level jobs and he just held out until someone bigger came along. Kind of like Kirby

Dawg61
11-27-2017, 07:23 PM
Does Saban have "swag" ... Meyer, Swinney, Fisher, Harbaugh, Franklin.

Yes all those guys are loaded with confidence or "swag". Mullen can't compete with any of them in that aspect. Dan hasn't even looked straight at a camera or reporter in 9 years. Only time I saw Dan with swag was with his yeezies or when he said "UT Chattanooga". He knows he can't compete coaching wise vs Saban or Urban or Kirby or any of the big name coaches. Gus made him his bitch the last two years. He only beat Les Miles once and LSU fired him. Mullen is overrated. He is a great QB developer and he never loses to lesser teams but he also never beats better teams or coaches.

32 Dive
11-27-2017, 07:26 PM
Rosie also saying Chad Morris and Ryan Day will be interviewed.

So... We're taking our TIME, with Morris Day?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ouATRBkFguE/hqdefault.jpg

BuckyIsAB****
11-27-2017, 07:28 PM
Yes all those guys are loaded with confidence or "swag". Mullen can't compete with any of them in that aspect. Dan hasn't even looked straight at a camera or reporter in 9 years. Only time I saw Dan with swag was with his yeezies or when he said "UT Chattanooga". He knows he can't compete coaching wise vs Saban or Urban or Kirby or any of the big name coaches. Gus made him his bitch the last two years. He only beat Les Miles once and LSU fired him. Mullen is overrated. He is a great QB developer and he never loses to lesser teams but he also never beats better teams or coaches.

He lost to South Alabama in year 8, mainly due to his meddling and wanting to play Damian Williams, who cant play at Texas St over Nick Fitzgerald

StarkVegasSteve
11-27-2017, 07:29 PM

The thing about all the people you mentioned is that they're programs recruit themselves. The so called "swag" with Kiffin is his way of branding himself and trying to brand his program. He's doing what he has to do to recruit with the big boys.

dawgday166
11-27-2017, 07:31 PM

They have more of an air of confidence, charisma to me. Sorta like Bear. They have IT. I take swag to mean doing a lot of talking trying to prove themselves. Kiffen has done alright tho and would be an upgrade to Dan I think. Those guys may respond to an attack, but they don't usually initiate it.

But thinking about it, maybe Kiffen could be the next Spurrier. Spurrier probably was more swag like I think, but he backed it up too.

I don't know .. I'm sure there are examples of each of them having some swag too.

Bothrops
11-27-2017, 07:35 PM
Hope we hire someone quick that can recruit, otherwise recruits are gonna start dropping like flies. Some of our guys are gonna have to be rerecruited anyway.

Political Hack
11-27-2017, 07:39 PM
Hope we hire someone quick that can recruit, otherwise recruits are gonna start dropping like flies. Some of our guys are gonna have to be rerecruited anyway.

They all have to be re-recruited.

Dawg61
11-27-2017, 07:40 PM
They have more of an air of confidence, charisma to me. Sorta like Bear. They have IT. I take swag to mean doing a lot of talking trying to prove themselves. Kiffen has done alright tho and would be an upgrade to Dan I think. Those guys may respond to an attack, but they don't usually initiate it.

But thinking about it, maybe Kiffen could be the next Spurrier. Spurrier probably was more swag like I think, but he backed it up too.

I don't know .. I'm sure there are examples of each of them having some swag too.

I don't think Kiffin is a blowhard. He's just a rich prick but he's actually pretty reserved if you've ever met him. He gets a bad rap because Al Davis decided to crucify him on national tv with some weird 1990's style powerpoint presentation on how Kiffin wouldn't lick his old ball sac everyday. He got offered his dream job from USC after only a year and really had no choice but to accept it. He did knowing he was going to be the fall guy for the Trojans. He still did well there and I think that's kinda honorable in a way. He did really well at Bama with psycho Saban and what he's done at FIU in one year is pretty much a miracle. I have now changed my mind. Kiffin and Venables are my 1a and 1b top choices. I will probably change my mind at some point again so sorry in advance.

Jack Lambert
11-27-2017, 07:43 PM

Well what is happening is AD's around the country are taking notes and sharing with other AD's how to deal with Sexton. They are learning and Cohen already has experience dealing with him.

Now I have no sources. That's just me talking and I don't know shit.

dawgday166
11-27-2017, 07:50 PM
I don't think Kiffin is a blowhard. He's just a rich prick but he's actually pretty reserved if you've ever met him. He gets a bad rap because Al Davis decided to crucify him on national tv with some weird 1990's style powerpoint presentation on how Kiffin wouldn't lick his old ball sac everyday. He got offered his dream job from USC after only a year and really had no choice but to accept it. He did knowing he was going to be the fall guy for the Trojans. He still did well there and I think that's kinda honorable in a way. He did really well at Bama with psycho Saban and what he's done at FIU in one year is pretty much a miracle. I have now changed my mind. Kiffin and Venables are my 1a and 1b top choices. I will probably change my mind at some point again so sorry in advance.

Well ... I had an old timer (75 years) UT Grad in '64 tell me today he'd probably take him back.

I seen it dawg
11-27-2017, 08:04 PM
Cohen don’t give a **** about Sexton. He’s doing major due diligence bc we have a chance to be challenge for the West good and a great recruiting class. He knows how important this hire is.

viverlibre
11-27-2017, 08:08 PM
So... We're taking our TIME, with Morris Day?

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/ouATRBkFguE/hqdefault.jpg

Bet me to this...

AFDawg
11-27-2017, 08:19 PM
Interesting thread on Venables. If we could get him, he sounds like a good fit culturally.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Board/20/Contents/Notes-on-Brent-Venables-107621860

Ari Gold
11-27-2017, 08:31 PM
Coach Venables may also come with sweet side dish. His son Jake is a 4 star LB committ at Clemson .

Saltydog
11-27-2017, 08:33 PM
search stands but that was the word this a.m. but we all know things can change quickly. Just ask Schiano.

Cooterpoot
11-27-2017, 08:45 PM
Venables could pull Huepel for OC.

bulldogcountry1
11-27-2017, 08:53 PM
Yeah you have to do due diligence.

You said "do due"!

MeridianDog
11-27-2017, 09:00 PM
Tick Tock

Dawg61
11-27-2017, 09:24 PM
You said "do due"!

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0HlyixNov8PC3Mo8/giphy.gif

BB30
11-27-2017, 09:56 PM

Ha sour grapes much? He beat urban in the swamp and not many teams have gotten the better of Saban, LSU was the winningest program in the sec outside of bama so not many got the best of miles either... dan was a solid coach man, he did a lot of good for our university and ran a respectable program both on and off the field unlike our neighbors up north our program was and is classy/hardworking. He had his faults but he was here for 9 years and won a ton of games for us. I?m not happy with Stricklin and I?m not exactly thrilled with how Mullen handled this but I will say he was one of the if not the best coach we have ever had and I?m thankful for the foundation he laid that allows us to get a coach to interview that is decent. None of these guys would have even considered Msu after croom.

Also, a large majority of our fans, some that have given him hell for leaving were bitching pretty hard about how bad of a coach he was last year and were saying that if he has another year like that we should fire him.

Dawg61
11-27-2017, 09:59 PM
Ha sour grapes much? He beat urban in the swamp and not many teams have gotten the better of Saban, LSU was the winningest program in the sec outside of bama so not many got the best of miles either... dan was a solid coach man, he did a lot of good for our university and ran a respectable program both on and off the field unlike our neighbors up north our program was and is classy/hardworking. He had his faults but he was here for 9 years and won a ton of games for us. I?m not happy with Stricklin and I?m not exactly thrilled with how Mullen handled this but I will say he was one of the if not the best coach we have ever had and I?m thankful for the foundation he laid that allows us to get a coach to interview that is decent. None of these guys would have even considered Msu after croom.

Also, a large majority of our fans, some that have given him hell for leaving were bitching pretty hard about how bad of a coach he was last year and were saying that if he has another year like that we should fire him.

Oh if only you coulda heard me during the Egg Bowl. Mullen ain't worth $8 mill a year. He literally has the worst record in the history of football vs ranked teams.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-27-2017, 10:00 PM
If we dont consider Kiffin it is our own fault when he goes somewhere else and wins big. But Venables, Pruitt would be a good hire. I might actually be higher on Venables than Pruitt, only deal is we go back to 4-3 with Venables although Im sure he does some of both. Im higher on Lane than both of them though. Nobody wants to beat Sabans ass more than Lane Kiffin does

If he does come here and he will jump ship one or two years. You think Mullen shopping around was bad? Ha! I don't understand why our fanbase is ok with that.

Noxdog
11-27-2017, 10:31 PM
Not true at all. Cohen is lining out a plan b while he waits for Pruitt to decide.

How did that Slive rule work for you???

preachermatt83
11-27-2017, 10:41 PM
How did that Slive rule work for you???

1 in 22 years. I'd say it's held up pretty good.

Noxdog
11-27-2017, 10:46 PM
1 in 22 years. I'd say it's held up pretty good.

Hate to break it to you, but Slive ain't around anymore.

msstate7
11-27-2017, 10:52 PM
If he does come here and he will jump ship one or two years. You think Mullen shopping around was bad? Ha! I don't understand why our fanbase is ok with that.

Which name that has been floated would stay if a big boy came calling?