PDA

View Full Version : Rumors encouraged...

Leroy Jenkins
11-26-2017, 11:21 PM
One rumor.... Todd Monken gets first interview tomorrow.

msstate7
11-26-2017, 11:22 PM
I want Monken, Kiffin, norvell, Pruitt, and venables interviewed. I will be fine with any of them

Dawgology
11-26-2017, 11:24 PM
Is Charlie Strong not an option. He had a tough run at Texas but I don’t know if that can all be laid at his feet. He has won everywhere he has been.

Spiderman
11-26-2017, 11:25 PM
I want Monken, Kiffin, norvell, Pruitt, and venables interviewed. I will be fine with any of them

Why Pruitt or Venables?

Good coordinators. What kinda HC will they be.

We don't have to settle for a coordinator this time. I'd rather have a HC with the team we have. We don't need someone learning the ropes with the team we have coming back

Lloyd Christmas
11-26-2017, 11:25 PM

Initially I was ok with this, but then after some more reading I don't know. Still need to interview him, but I hope Cohen has done his homework on how much of Monken's success was due to coordinators.

BuckyIsAB****
11-26-2017, 11:26 PM

We could get Monken, and Pruitt on board as early as this week. The rest we're gonna have to wait till after Saturday to interview them

Spiderman
Is Charlie Strong not an option. He had a tough run at Texas but I don’t know if that can all be laid at his feet. He has won everywhere he has been.

I hope not. I don't care what you say, if you can't win at Texas, what make you think you can win here?

DogsofAnarchy

I want Norvell interviewed first and last!! Hire him, let him hire a DC and we will score 50 on UF !!

Dawgology
Todd Monken??? One winnining season as a head coach.... ok...

msstate7
11-26-2017, 11:27 PM
Why Pruitt or Venables?

We don't have to settle for a coordinator this time. I'd rather have a HC with the team we have. We don't need someone learning the ropes with the team we have coming back

I think both will be successful. Lane is my favorite though

Coach34
11-26-2017, 11:28 PM
Satterwhite or his agent is interviewing tomorrow

Lloyd Christmas
11-26-2017, 11:29 PM

Know of anyone else on the interview list?

Bothrops
11-26-2017, 11:29 PM

Holy ****ing shit. That guy is like a dead battery. I'm just gonna believe this is a joke.

BuckyIsAB****
11-26-2017, 11:30 PM
Scott Satterfield or Monken aint in the same league as Kiffin or Pruitt in my book. Just my opinion. Kiffin is my favorite with Pruitt 2nd

Lloyd Christmas
11-26-2017, 11:30 PM

I think you mean Scatterfield. Good resume but zero name recognition.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2017, 11:31 PM

Lane is a clown & will leave MSU at the drop of a hat

Coach34
11-26-2017, 11:32 PM
Why Pruitt or Venables?

often times coordinators end up being the best choices- Mullen was
Gus was
Orgeron off to a good start
Odom is off to a good start
Kiby doing great
Stoops has made Kentucky solid
Jimbo doing well at Fla State
Dabo at Clemson

and on and on

MaroonFlounder
11-26-2017, 11:32 PM
Saw one story that said Mike Leach is interested. WR recruiting would immediately ramp up.

C222
11-26-2017, 11:33 PM
You guys are joking about Monken, right?

Dawgtini
11-26-2017, 11:33 PM
Who? Are you talking about satterfield (SP?) at App St?

Bothrops
11-26-2017, 11:34 PM

This. He is a huge clown and that's his best attribute.

Commercecomet24
11-26-2017, 11:34 PM

Yeah Kiffin would be worse than Mullen about leaving us rumors.

Lloyd Christmas
11-26-2017, 11:35 PM
often times coordinators end up being the best choices- Mullen was
Gus was
Orgeron off to a good start
Odom is off to a good start
Kiby doing great
Stoops has made Kentucky solid
Jimbo doing well at Fla State
Dabo at Clemson

and on and on

I'd take Pruitt or Venables over Monken and Scatterfield. People need to stop thinking we are above hiring coordinators. Florida and Tennessee thought they were above coordinators the last few years... Georgia didn't think they were above it when they hired Smart and it worked out pretty well for them.

AgDawg
11-26-2017, 11:35 PM
Kiffin, Pruitt, and Saterfield would be good to start. I know we are cleaning house but we seem to have a good culture built. Just need a new staff that can make some tweaks and move us up. I think our expectations are in the 8-9 wins a year with a championship game every 4-5 years.

Lloyd Christmas
11-26-2017, 11:38 PM
Yeah Kiffin would be worse than Mullen about leaving us rumors.

Just a theory but I bet Cohen's thought process is something like this:

Interview a small range of select candidates including Kiffin. If none of the candidates "wow" him then hire Kiffin for the short term and conduct a new search if he leaves in two to three years.

Bothrops
11-26-2017, 11:39 PM
I'd take Pruitt or Venables over Monken and Scatterfield. People need to stop thinking we are above hiring coordinators. Florida and Tennessee thought they were above coordinators the last few years... Georgia didn't think they were above it when they hired Smart and it worked out pretty well for them.

I don't mind hiring a coordinator, if it's an offensive coordinator.

BuckyIsAB****
11-26-2017, 11:39 PM
Kiffin would win big next year with this roster. Especially if we get some WRs healthy and add the ones we are recruiting.

preachermatt83
11-26-2017, 11:40 PM

Interview a small range of select candidates including Kiffin. If none of the candidates "wow" him then hire Kiffin for the short term and conduct a new search if he leaves in two to three years.

That would be wise

Dallas_Dawg
11-26-2017, 11:40 PM
Don?t want Joey freshwater or the guy that went 13-25 at USM

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2017, 11:41 PM
One thing I can assure you: John Cohen is smarter than anyone on this board & is miles ahead in his thinking. Where out thought process is now, his has been for weeks

ATTILLA THE DOG
11-26-2017, 11:43 PM

That's great to hear,much rather have him over some of these other names.

Bothrops
11-26-2017, 11:45 PM
Cohen is smart, so I know we will hire an offensive minded coach.

Westdawg
11-26-2017, 11:45 PM
Steve Campbell. Knows the state high schools and juco system. Has won big at div 2 and juco levels and has UCA winning big right now.

Mimi's Babies
11-26-2017, 11:46 PM

What do you know about Kiffin? Evidently nothing.... He had many issues on the field and off at BAMA. None of those we need in Starkville.. Period

Then lets add in his BROTHER, Chris Kiffin, as to whom the NCAA COI should sanction probably this week for his connection with OM... NO THANK YOU!!!!

Dawgology
11-26-2017, 11:49 PM
What do you know about Kiffin? Evidently nothing.... He had many issues on the field and off at BAMA. None of those we need in Starkville.. Period

Then lets add in his BROTHER, Chris Kiffin, as to whom the NCAA COI should sanction probably this week for his connection with OM... NO THANK YOU!!!!

....OMG....Don’t hire SOMEONe...because of his...BROTHER!!!!1!

Irondawg
11-26-2017, 11:51 PM
Initially I was ok with this, but then after some more reading I don't know. Still need to interview him, but I hope Cohen has done his homework on how much of Monken's success was due to coordinators.

This all day - especially Lindsey who has done a great job at Auburn. Hopson has done a decent job at USM, but still can't believe they didn't hire Lindsey

msstate7
11-26-2017, 11:51 PM

Every post is turned into something OM has done.

Mimi's Babies
11-26-2017, 11:54 PM

You really should do your homework.... seriously..... Bama fans sure don't like him.... and we that live in Starkville sure don't want to have to deal with a clown.

BuckyIsAB****
11-26-2017, 11:54 PM

Im with you man. Lane would be fun as hell he wants nothing more than to beat Saban

Coach34
11-26-2017, 11:55 PM

MimiDust has a one-track mind

Todd4State
11-26-2017, 11:55 PM

If it was Kiffen it would be more like ONE year instead of two or three.

Todd4State
11-26-2017, 11:56 PM

I seen what you did there.**

Mimi's Babies
11-26-2017, 11:56 PM

Hell no and you should do your homework also....

I really thought better of you Coach34... Just really....

Coach34
11-27-2017, 12:01 AM
Hell no and you should do your homework also....

I really thought better of you Coach34... Just really....

Mullen had a couple of affairs while at State- are we really going to throw stones Mimi?

38843dawg
11-27-2017, 12:03 AM
Monken would be on par with Matt Luke. No thanks.

dawgday166
11-27-2017, 12:04 AM
Mullen had a couple of affairs while at State- are we really going to throw stones Mimi?

I really wouldn't have guessed that. Lot of things I thought he might be somewhat of a fraud about, but that wasn't one of them.

confucius say
11-27-2017, 12:05 AM

Whoa. Sure we wanna go down this road? Hell of an accusation.

Commercecomet24
11-27-2017, 12:07 AM
I really wouldn't have guessed that. Lot of things I thought he might be somewhat of a fraud about, but that wasn't one of them.

Same here.

Mimi's Babies
11-27-2017, 12:09 AM

Mimi did not throw stones you did. I simply said that Kiffin had issues on and off the field that we do not need in Starkville. Since you don't live here shouldn't be a big deal to you....

Dawgology
11-27-2017, 12:09 AM

That shouldn’t be brought up. He’s not here any more just let it lie.

ShotgunDawg
11-27-2017, 12:10 AM

I wouldn't go this far, but knowing a good bit about his past & personality, it wouldn't shock me if true.

BuckyIsAB****
11-27-2017, 12:12 AM
Before this thread goes sideways Im just gonna say, Kiffin or Pruitt are the best 2. You cant go wrong. If we dont hire them you can bet sweet mary lous ass someone else is

bostondawg
11-27-2017, 12:12 AM
There is absolutely zero reason to speculate about that kind of thing. We're better than that.

Gutter Cobreh
11-27-2017, 12:16 AM
There is absolutely zero reason to speculate about that kind of thing. We're better than that.

Coming from the source, I doubt there is speculation. While narcissistic, he's smart enough not to post unless there was more there than simple rumors.

Plus, the thread title says Rumors Encouraged!

thedawginme
11-27-2017, 12:17 AM

lol at coach34

AlSwearengen
11-27-2017, 12:18 AM
I wouldn't go this far, but knowing a good bit about his past & personality, it wouldn't shock me if true.

I agree. Early in his career here, the local news had a shot of him chatting up a young attractive fan at one of the caravan events. My gf at the time (middle aged by the way, so she is somewhat wise to the world) made the statement that she wouldn’t trust him for a second.

solodawg
11-27-2017, 12:18 AM
I just can’t see Kiffin coming here. I admit it would probably be a lot of fun for a while but I just think Cohen is just too damned business minded and serious and not ready to put up with any of his bull shlt antics. I like Norvell and Campbell but my guess it will be someone we totally left of our list and will have to google to see who he is.

38843dawg
11-27-2017, 12:20 AM
I just can’t see Kiffin coming here. I admit it would probably be a lot of fun for a while but I just think Cohen is just too damned business minded and serious and not ready to put up with any of his bull shlt antics. I like Norvell and Campbell but my guess it will be someone we totally left of our list and will have to google to see who he is.

Like Rick Ray. Cool.

Bothrops
11-27-2017, 12:20 AM

Nah, let her rip...

Bothrops
11-27-2017, 12:24 AM
Kiffen is a jerkoff. Forget him!

He would have a good offense though.

Cooterpoot
11-27-2017, 12:30 AM
This all day - especially Lindsey who has done a great job at Auburn. Hopson has done a decent job at USM, but still can't believe they didn't hire Lindsey

Lindsey didn?t want that job.

Coach34
11-27-2017, 01:03 AM

no speculation. We buried some things. All I'm saying is let's dont throw stones at Kiffin considering what we have been willing to put up with. Dont be a hypocrite

Lloyd Christmas
11-27-2017, 01:06 AM
no speculation. We buried some things. All I'm saying is let's dont throw stones at Kiffin considering what we have been willing to put up with. Dont be a hypocrite

Coach, you heard if we are even going to talk to Kiffin? Or is this just currently a fantasy for some of our fans?

Todd4State
11-27-2017, 01:20 AM
Coach, you heard if we are even going to talk to Kiffin? Or is this just currently a fantasy for some of our fans?

Wikipedia says he's coming to MSU

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Kiffin

Todd4State
11-27-2017, 01:23 AM
And half of Kiffin's staff is ex-Ole Miss coaches/players. His DC's are Chris Kiffin and Corey Batoon. CJ Johnson is a freaking grad assistant there.

Coach34
11-27-2017, 01:24 AM

I honestly dont think Cohen will consider him- but I remain hopeful

Coach34
11-27-2017, 01:25 AM
And half of Kiffin's staff is ex-Ole Miss coaches/players. His DC's are Chris Kiffin and Corey Batoon. CJ Johnson is a freaking grad assistant there.

Dudy Noble and Bob Tyler coached at OM

Lloyd Christmas
11-27-2017, 01:25 AM
I honestly dont think Cohen will consider him- but I remain hopeful

My thoughts as well. I think it'll be Pruitt or Monken.

Matt3467
11-27-2017, 10:00 AM
How about Bobby Petrino for all you offensive enthusiasts? I think Les Miles would be interesting. Norvell, Kiffin, and maybe even Bob Stoops if he could be drug out. I think there's some good options out there that aren't being talked about. Heck as long as Leach could bring along a good DC I think he could be interesting.

C222
11-27-2017, 10:04 AM
How about Bobby Petrino for all you offensive enthusiasts? I think Les Miles would be interesting. Norvell, Kiffin, and maybe even Bob Stoops if he could be drug out. I think there's some good options out there that aren't being talked about. Heck as long as Leach could bring along a good DC I think he could be interesting.

We aren?t getting any of these you just mentioned.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-27-2017, 10:04 AM
I want Norvell interviewed first and last!! Hire him, let him hire a DC and we will score 50 on UF !!

Forget Norvell, he is not an option at all.

Political Hack
11-27-2017, 10:06 AM
Monken will coach circles around Kiffin. Anyone saying otherwise doesn?t pay attention and is just looking for a name that?s get thrown around in the media a lot. I?m done with the prima-donna BS. Kiffin ain?t the guy for State.

C222
11-27-2017, 10:06 AM
Monken will coach circles around Kiffin. Anyone saying otherwise doesn?t pay attention and is just looking for a name that?s get thrown around in the media a lot. I?m done with the prima-donna BS. Kiffin ain?t the guy for State.

Monken isnt either.

Matt3467
11-27-2017, 10:07 AM
What if Sherrill wanted to come back and he brought Joe Lee Dunn with him? Would you guys entertain that as long as he brought an established OC? I know this is way out there but what IF.

msstate7
11-27-2017, 10:09 AM
What if Sherrill wanted to come back and he brought Joe Lee Dunn with him? Would you guys entertain that as long as he brought an established OC? I know this is way out there but what IF.

Quit trolling

PMDawg
11-27-2017, 10:09 AM
Please don't be Monken. Please.

Dawgology
11-27-2017, 10:10 AM
Why does everyone love Monken. What has he done exactly to make him so attractive??

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-27-2017, 10:10 AM

Exactly. Thank God some of the idiots on this board are not in charge of the hire. This is not a freaking video game hire this is what is best for our university. Kiffin would never come to Starkville, Ms. If he did he wouldnt be able to get out fast enough

BrunswickDawg
11-27-2017, 10:13 AM

Interstingly, UGA has only ever hired Coordinators/Ast. Coaches for their job. Jim Donnan is the only person they have hired with HC experience since 1920. Smart, Richt, Goff, Dooley, Butts, Mehre were all Ast. Coaches. They also gave Pop Warner his first coaching job with 0 experience.

I'm not saying it's the right way - but, Pruitt with Lindsay would be a combo I could see working.

Matt3467
11-27-2017, 10:20 AM
Not trolling, I'm just throwing names out there. How is it that Jimbo Fisher can't be on our list yet Texas A&M can go for him? We're sitting here debating on which coordinator we should hire. I think MSU has elevated to the level that we can get HC experience now and if we were willing to pay Mullen 6 million then heck lets keep the checkbook open and go out and make a splash hire.

Really Clark?
11-27-2017, 10:28 AM
Not trolling, I'm just throwing names out there. How is it that Jimbo Fisher can't be on our list yet Texas A&M can go for him? We're sitting here debating on which coordinator we should hire. I think MSU has elevated to the level that we can get HC experience now and if we were willing to pay Mullen 6 million then heck lets keep the checkbook open and go out and make a splash hire.

You have lost your mind. You can put him and Saban and Fuentes and others like them on any list you like. Then throw it away and start working on a realistic hiring list and stop wasting time in fantasy world

BB30
11-27-2017, 10:28 AM

For us to get a Jimbo we would have to throw 10+ mill if not more and FSU or A and M could still outbid us. We would have to throw more money to compensate for odd on winning a NC.

Political Hack
11-27-2017, 10:36 AM
Why does everyone love Monken. What has he done exactly to make him so attractive??

He put up around 40 PPG at Okie state and USM. Knows MS and LA. Has NFL experience. Is intense as hell. I like him, but I suspect he’ll be hard pressed to be the top choice with names like Pruitt on the list.

Matt3467
11-27-2017, 10:40 AM
You have lost your mind. You can put him and Saban and Fuentes and others like them on any list you like. Then throw it away and start working on a realistic hiring list and stop wasting time in fantasy world

How have I lost my mind? Who mentioned Saban? We were going to pay Mullen 6 million and Fisher doesn't even make that at FSU. Yes it's a longshot, but not impossible.

Dawgology
11-27-2017, 10:45 AM
How have I lost my mind? Who mentioned Saban? We were going to pay Mullen 6 million and Fisher doesn't even make that at FSU. Yes it's a longshot, but not impossible.

You're right. I bet if we offer Jimbo 14 million a year, with no buy-out, and a guaranteed 4 years he would come.....**

Coach34
11-27-2017, 10:48 AM
We could have had Jimbo in 2003 instead of Crooms. That ship has sailed now

mparkerfd20
11-27-2017, 10:49 AM
Hearing Pruitt has offer in hand. His decision now... supposedly.

Really Clark?
11-27-2017, 10:52 AM

You might as well have. We are not poaching a coach at a higher profile school. You are chasing unicorns with that thought process. And you have to disregard per year salary because of our laws. Jimbo is making $55 Mil guaranteed from FSU. You would have to offer him $14-15 MIL per year to get him to listen plus a major buyout. It is not happening.

Political Hack
11-27-2017, 10:54 AM
Hearing Pruitt has offer in hand. His decision now... supposedly.

2nd time hearing this in 10 minutes...

AlSwearengen
11-27-2017, 11:02 AM
Monken is a good coach. I don't know if he would be my choice but he was able to straighten out usm with zero support, zero talent, and horrible morale in hattiesburg.

1bigdawg
11-27-2017, 11:07 AM
My only gripe with Monken is that he did not like to recruit at USM.

Political Hack
11-27-2017, 11:50 AM
My only gripe with Monken is that he did not like to recruit at USM.

Would you like to recruit at USM?

BrunswickDawg
11-27-2017, 11:57 AM
Would you like to recruit at USM?

I'm sure they had no recruiting budget. If you can't afford bird food.....

West Tn Dawg
11-27-2017, 12:59 PM

Put a huge buyout in the contract.

Dawgology
11-27-2017, 01:05 PM
Monken is a good coach. I don't know if he would be my choice but he was able to straighten out usm with zero support, zero talent, and horrible morale in hattiesburg.

That's thing that folks keep saying but we don't need anyone to straighten out our football program. We are in great shape. We need someone who can take all of the talent that has been left for them and go win games day 1.

GreenheadDawg
11-27-2017, 01:15 PM
2nd time hearing this in 10 minutes...

What’s there to decide? He either wants it or he doesn’t. I’m sure Sexton is pimping him to TN also.

TrapGame
11-27-2017, 01:22 PM

I was once aquainted with a close friend of Larry Fedora's. Grew up with him in Texas and was still talking to him and his brother. Fedora had pennies to spend at USM. He couldn't afford to hire his brother as OC b/c his brother made more money as a high school coach in Texas. It's the same reason Monken left. USM wants you to turn chicken shit into chicken salad. What Monken did there is impressive based on what he had to work with.

HailState39110
11-27-2017, 01:24 PM
Satterfiield is my guy . Runs a power spread , good culture type of fit

Tbonewannabe
11-27-2017, 01:28 PM

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to BrunswickDawg again.

From everything posted today, this is my favorite. Thank you sir for the laugh.