PDA

View Full Version : One thing I have learned over the years is that you should never trust

TaleofTwoDogs
11-26-2017, 10:36 PM
what a coach says concerning jumping ship. On Monday, he will tell you he is as happy as a pig in sh*t at his current job and on Tuesday they are announcing that he has accepted the HC at another school. So much for a man's word and honor these days. It's all buzzineess.

dawgday166
11-26-2017, 10:50 PM
Yep ... when they say "I ain't leaving" ... they gone.

Commercecomet24
11-26-2017, 10:58 PM
what a coach says concerning jumping ship. On Monday, he will tell you he is as happy as a pig in sh*t at his current job and on Tuesday they are announcing that he has accepted the HC at another school. So much for a man's word and honor these days. It's all buzzineess.

That?s what bothers me most. It?s not how I was raised and it just goes against all I believe in. They all say it?s just part of the game but you?re right i guess in that profession a mans word and honor means zero. It sucks

Spiderman
11-26-2017, 11:16 PM

The thing that gets me is this....

I loved sports of any kind and as a little kid, like most, I had dreams of playing college and pro. But I also used to dream of coaching. The 1st book I ever wanted was an NFL playbook in a library. I wore that thing out as a 6 year old. It fascinated me. All I ever really wanted to do was coach, but I knew I couldn't teach school and in Ms that was a part of it. So, for that and financial reasons, I went in the family business instead. I was lucky enough to be offered an asst. job at a local HS as a volunteer. No classes, just football.

I did it for 10 years and had a blast and some success. I had the pleasure, as QB and WR coach, to coach a State record QB in TD's, season and career, and a WR for TD's in a season.

A total emotional investment in the team and those kids. My dad's retirement forced me to give it up and it hurt to say goodbye, but my players knew all year it was my last and I cherished every minute of it.

I don't see how a coach who has been there 9 years, and with some of the kids you recruited, be together 5 years, you just walk in and say goodbye in 15 mins and walk out.

I guess that's why they are successful, they are strictly singled minded and non sentimental. But when you spend that time and create a "Family atmosphere" and all you have for them, after telling them you aren't leaving a few days before, is a couple of minutes worth of goodbye?

Your love for them is not genuine, and I guess I could have never been a big time coach if that's what you have to be.

I don't blame him for and understand him leaving, but a quick goodbye and out the door after what you have built with those guys is rough.

Those kids are a lot more hurt and bewildered than we will ever be over this.

Those guys truly are mercenaries..... have gun will travel.

yjnkdawg
11-26-2017, 11:17 PM

I agree.... Similar to when a recruit commits and says he is committed, but he isn't actually committed, so he doesn't look at it as a commitment. I guess coaches can use that same philosophy when shopping around for other jobs.

Commercecomet24
11-26-2017, 11:26 PM

I loved sports of any kind and as a little kid, like most, I had dreams of playing college and pro. But I also used to dream of coaching. The 1st book I ever wanted was an NFL playbook in a library. I wore that thing out as a 6 year old. It fascinated me. All I ever really wanted to do was coach, but I knew I couldn't teach school and in Ms that was a part of it. So, for that and financial reasons, I went in the family business instead. I was lucky enough to be offered an asst. job at a local HS as a volunteer. No classes, just football.

I did it for 10 years and had a blast and some success. I had the pleasure, as QB and WR coach, to coach a State record QB in TD's, season and career, and a WR for TD's in a season.

A total emotional investment in the team and those kids. My dad's retirement forced me to give it up and it hurt to say goodbye, but my players knew all year it was my last and I cherished every minute of it.

I don't see how a coach who has been there 9 years, and with some of the kids you recruited, be together 5 years, you just walk in and say goodbye in 15 mins and walk out.

I guess that's why they are successful, they are strictly singled minded and non sentimental. But when you spend that time and create a "Family atmosphere" and all you have for them, after telling them you aren't leaving a few days before, is a couple of minutes worth of goodbye?

Your love for them is not genuine, and I guess I could have never been a big time coach if that's what you have to be.

I don't blame him for and understand him leaving, but a quick goodbye and out the door after what you have built with those guys is rough.

One of the best posts I have ever read on here. Dead on accurate.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2017, 11:33 PM
That?s what bothers me most. It?s not how I was raised and it just goes against all I believe in. They all say it?s just part of the game but you?re right i guess in that profession a mans word and honor means zero. It sucks

I tried to tell you this the other day, but you kept telling me I was wrong.

Never trust coach speak, realize agents run the ship, & that Finebaum & those other clowns talk to agents.

You know why Fuente hasn't been mentioned in any coaching searches? Because his agent told people he wasn't interested. That is where the buck stops

Commercecomet24
11-26-2017, 11:37 PM
I tried to tell you this the other day, but you kept telling me I was wrong.

Never trust coach speak, realize agents run the ship, & that Finebaum & those other clowns talk to agents.

You know why Fuente hasn't been mentioned in any coaching searches? Because his agent told people he wasn't interested. That is where the buck stops

Sorry but he told the players he wasn?t leaving that?s totally different. It takes a complete prick to tell players that and then walk.

It?s not coach speak when you tell your players that it?s flat out lying.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2017, 11:37 PM

Great post.

I have thought about this as well. It seems to me that all the best coaches are ass holes. Saban, Meyer, on down. It takes a crazy ego to do what they do & guys that progress to that point just have to be built that way.

Most of them are miserable.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2017, 11:38 PM
Sorry but he told the players he wasn?t leaving that?s totally different. It takes a complete prick to tell players that and then walk.

Most of the best coaches are pricks.

Name one that isn't

I hope we find another prick & hire him. The good thing is that we have a prick hiring the next guy, so it shouldn't be too hard

Commercecomet24
11-26-2017, 11:41 PM

Name one that isn't

I hope we find another prick & hire him. The good thing is that we have a prick hiring the next guy, so it shouldn't be too hard

I understand that. It?s one thing to coach speak to media and fans, I?m to old to believe the I?m happy here stuff but when you tell players you?ll be here next year you have crossed the line. That?s just wrong and shows lack
Of integerity and character

bluelightstar
11-26-2017, 11:45 PM
I understand that. It?s one thing to coach speak to media and fans, I?m to old to believe the I?m happy here stuff but when you tell players you?ll be here next year you have crossed the line. That?s just wrong and shows lack
Of integerity and character

I completely agree. There is a big difference between "I'm worried about the job that I have"; "i'm focused on this job"; or "we don't comment on rumors and speculation" and specifically calling your players to say I will be here next year because you all are going to be the best team I've ever coached.

Gutter Cobreh
11-27-2017, 12:34 AM

Name one that isn't

For what it's worth, Dabo isn't a prick.

Spiderman
11-27-2017, 09:52 AM

Maybe not as a buddy, but you don't get to where he is and stay there without being a cold blooded SOB in a certain way. I've been around a ton of those guys at clinics. Shop talk among them is a total different world.

An by being around them, the reality is I came to the realization I could have never been one of them.

You know who weren't true assholes? Croom, Felker, Steve Sloan, and a bunch of other fired dudes.

ShotgunDawg
11-27-2017, 09:55 AM
Maybe not as a buddy, but you don't get to where he is and stay there without being a cold blooded SOB in a certain way. I've been around a ton of those guys at clinics. Shop talk among them is a total different world.

An by being around them, the reality is I came to the realization I could have never been one of them.

You know who weren't true assholes? Croom, Felker, Steve Sloan, and a bunch of other fired dudes.

This

The good thing is that Cohen fits right in with them, so it should increases the odds that he knows what to look for

Lord McBuckethead
11-27-2017, 10:56 AM

Not yet anyway.

msbulldog
11-27-2017, 11:53 AM

I guess that's why he is a SOB, Spider.

msbulldog
11-27-2017, 11:58 AM

Name one that isn't

J Pruitt is an amazing Prick

Duckdog
11-27-2017, 12:12 PM

This is what gets me mad about the whole deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! No honor at all ZERO