PDA

View Full Version : The Reason I want an offensive HC

Reason2succeed
11-26-2017, 10:18 PM
We all complained about Mullen?s inability to keep a DC but other than Yr 1 (Torbush), Yr ? (Wilson)and Yr 8 (Sirmon) our defense was at least decent. It doesn?t take multiple seasons to turn a defense around. You normally don?t have to start from scratch with recruiting to a new defensive philosophy.

If your HC is a DC then the inconsistency will be on offense where QBs differ, plays and techniques aren?t as easily changed. Plus, other schools love to hire OCs to be HC or just OCs at their school. We only lost Diaz (twice) and Collins to other schools. Literally every year we have a good offense you can expect LSU or TN to try to hire our OC.

Hire an offensive HC.

IMissJack
11-26-2017, 10:24 PM
The reason I want an Offensive coach is that without one, it is difficult for us to recruit good QB's, and receivers. It was difficult to get receivers when we had Mullen. The reason teams like Bama and GA can get by with a Defensive coach is that they can still get recruits for the offense, with a good OC. The days of running up the middle 35 times like Sherrill did, and playing tough defense only are gone.

BrunswickDawg
11-26-2017, 10:27 PM
The reason I want an Offensive coach is that without one, it is difficult for us to recruit good QB's, and receivers. It was difficult to get receivers when we had Mullen. The reason teams like Bama and GA can get by with a Defensive coach is that they can still get recruits for the offense, with a good OC. The days of running up the middle 35 times like Sherrill did, and playing tough defense only are gone.
^ This

WeWonItAll(Most)
11-26-2017, 10:30 PM
We all complained about Mullen?s inability to keep a DC but other than Yr 1 (Torbush), Yr ? (Wilson)and Yr 8 (Sirmon) our defense was at least decent. It doesn?t take multiple seasons to turn a defense around. You normally don?t have to start from scratch with recruiting to a new defensive philosophy.

If your HC is a DC then the inconsistency will be on offense where QBs differ, plays and techniques aren?t as easily changed. Plus, other schools love to hire OCs to be HC or just OCs at their school. We only lost Diaz (twice) and Collins to other schools. Literally every year we have a good offense you can expect LSU or TN to try to hire our OC.

Hire an offensive HC.
+1

redstickdawg
11-26-2017, 10:36 PM

Hire an offensive HC.

Amen, in my 35+ years of following State FB, we have had only Mullen and Emory as offensive coaches. We have tremendous defensive talent naturally with the state's talent base, what we have always missed is a good offensive mind that could develop QB's, we got that in Mullen and we excelled. Mullen has developed Dak and to a lesser degree Nick and was a beacon for high potential QB recruits. We need to continue that and as was seen this year a good DC can turn around a shitshow on the defensive side in 1 year.

This is not to say that the DC is not important, it will be even more important with a good offensive HC. Trouble with Mullen is that he couldn't keep a DC, unfortunately except for Grantham.

I_Spy
11-26-2017, 10:40 PM
The days of running up the middle 35 times like Sherrill did, and playing tough defense only are gone. -

I know, but do you know how many lateral plays we seem to run and get hammered on - on third down. As if the opposing team too know we are going to do it.

I would rather see just anything else at this point.

Irondawg
11-26-2017, 10:44 PM
I think first and foremost you hire a winner who's ego is big enough to think he can beat the big boys without having as many 5-stars as those guys. I don't care if he's a defense or offense guy as long as his track record shows that he can be elite on one side of the ball. But then you have to know who they can bring in on the other side of the ball.

Mullen could get away with being a sub-par overall recruiter b/c he could recruit the most important position and he hit on Dak. Unless you get another guy with a big QB resume, our next guy has to be an above average recruiter or bring an OC/DC that are both really really good at it.

I don't honestly know if it's easier to change a defense or offense, but there are so many guys running a similar style to us now that you have a much bigger pool of candidates than 10 years ago.

Just get the best guy who can bring in a highly thought of DC and/or OC and we'll be fine. The important thing is that the move from OC/DC to head coach is a big one and not everybody is cut out for it. We have too good a team next year potentially to lose a game or two because of growing pains.