PDA

View Full Version : In Cohen We Trust

Political Hack
11-26-2017, 09:39 PM
The man is very intelligent and well intentioned. He?s not motivated by what?s best for himself politically. He?s motivated by what?s best for our University collectively. I can trust that. It?s pure. It?s not a bunch of egomaniacal bullshit peppered with self interest and greed. I love that. I?ll get behind that.

When he made the baseball hire a lot of people raised an eyebrow. He was right. Our coach is a stud and we?re about to be competing for national championships in the best stadium in the history of college baseball. Trust the man. When he makes the next hire I suspect a lot of people will raise an eyebrow, but he can read people. He knows competitors, can quickly size up a person?s intellect, and he?s smart as hell. He will hire someone with intensity. The football program is in the the best shape it has ever been in... depth wise, financially, with the fan base, and with national recognition. Time to recognize this as an opportunity.

Commercecomet24
11-26-2017, 09:42 PM
Yep well said and this is why I?m not sweating it. I couldn?t say the same if stricklin were here. Cohen is a coach, he?s a competitor who hates to lose and you can bet he knows how to find a winner. He?s gonna make us proud

Hasu Dackds
11-26-2017, 09:45 PM
We need more people like Cohen. I consider myself similar to him in my intentionality to MSU. If I?m riding down the highway I wait to spend my gas money in MS rather than AL.

That?s why I have no respect for Loaferz. And a lot less for Mullen.

Quaoarsking
11-26-2017, 09:47 PM
I'll get behind whoever Cohen hires.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-26-2017, 10:02 PM
You're last sentence, Hack, says that this is an opportunity. I agree. Our budget is so much bigger than when Mullen came. The stadium is bigger and louder, and it's full. We have some momentum. I think this is 8 straight bowls. The roster is so much more talented. The facilities are great. Ole Miss will get some sanctions. The president and AD understand ball and are great to work for. This is a great opportunity for some bright coach, and a great opportunity for us to continue with what Mullen built.

IMissJack
11-26-2017, 10:18 PM
The problem is, there is so much demand right now and MSU is in a "must hire" mode, the candidate we want will have all the bargaining power "again", and we will have to overpay. A coach that we could have gotten for $3M last year will be $4.5 this year. And before anyone says we are not in "must hire" mode, we absolutely are. With the new early signing period, we have to get someone in quick to try to keep the class in order.

BB30
11-26-2017, 10:34 PM
The man is very intelligent and well intentioned. He?s not motivated by what?s best for himself politically. He?s motivated by what?s best for our University collectively. I can trust that. It?s pure. It?s not a bunch of egomaniacal bullshit peppered with self interest and greed. I love that. I?ll get behind that.

When he made the baseball hire a lot of people raised an eyebrow. He was right. Our coach is a stud and we?re about to be competing for national championships in the best stadium in the history of college baseball. Trust the man. When he makes the next hire I suspect a lot of people will raise an eyebrow, but he can read people. He knows competitors, can quickly size up a person?s intellect, and he?s smart as hell. He will hire someone with intensity. The football program is in the the best shape it has ever been in... depth wise, financially, with the fan base, and with national recognition. Time to recognize this as an opportunity.

Big difference in hiring a coach you are familiar with and competed against in a sport that you coached for the large majority or your career and made it to a cws final. He knows baseball in and out and knew cann on a personal level. We also have a good history in baseball and it was easy to attract top candidates for the job.

This is a completely different animal. We aren?t a perennial power with a storied history in football. We have decent facilities but don?t hold any attendance records. We don?t have anything equivalent to a World Series appearance much less multiple ws appearances. Dan went to Florida for many of the same reasons we could hire a top end baseball coach any time we wanted too.

I like Cohen and think he will make a decent hire but it is far from a sure thing nor will it be as easy as it was getting cann.most in baseball circles considered cann an elite up and comer and he wouldn?t have left LSU for a job comparable to ours in football. As an example Cann wouldn?t have taken the va tech baseball job.

Cohen has his work cut out for him.

IMissJack
11-26-2017, 11:35 PM
Cohen has his work cut out for him.

I hope he is getting outside advice also.

msstatelp1
11-26-2017, 11:41 PM
I'll get behind whoever Cohen hires.

this

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2017, 11:43 PM
John will hire energy.

John always hires energy. Even his assistants when he coached