View Full Version : I'm Excited... MSU Will Offer Some Coach A Rare Opportunity

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2017, 08:00 PM
How many times have you ever seen this hiring sign:

- SEC Program
- Nationally Ranked
- Outstanding Culture
- Returns Almost Every Starter
- Has a SR QB that may be a Heisman Contender & he is backed up by a stud true FR QB that has all the tools to be just as good if not better.
- Quality Local Recruiting Ground
- Rival on probation.
- Passionate Fan Base
- Will Pay Whatever is Needed.
- Has been to 8 straight Bowl Games

Folks, I'm just as frustrated as many of you, but let's be real: We all knew Dan would eventually leave & we had hoped that it would only be for 1 of about 10 programs. Well... one of those 10 programs offered him the job. Get over it. We employed him for 9 years (which is an eternity in coaching) & he delivered. He earned every penny we ever paid him & left the MSU job far better than he found it. I can't thank Dan enough.

Additionally, because the way he built the program, MSU is able to offer a very unique, rare opportunity to a coach & that is a chance to take over an SEC program that doesn't need to be rebuilt & can win immediately. Of all the open jobs this off season, the MSU is the job with the best actual football team. Think about that.

Perhaps, if Dan was going to leave anyway, this was the best way for it to happen. We are set up for success. Also, maybe change is needed. Maybe Dan had done everything he knew how to do here & the only way for the program to take the next step was for new people & new ideas to build on top of the formula Dan built. Think about that.

I trust that Cohen will have his pick of a number of great coaches as this is a rare opportunity. How many SEC jobs have come open in your life time that was ready made to win & the culture already built?

The last one I can think of was LSU when Saban left & Florida when Spurrier left. Maybe Georgia with Richt? Maybe Miles at LSU? Most are dumpster fires

I'm excited about what can happen here.

turkish
11-26-2017, 08:25 PM
If that's such an impressive list, why are we looking for a coach?

JustTookAnOleMiss
11-26-2017, 08:29 PM

Simply put...Money.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2017, 08:36 PM

Because Florida is a top 5 job in America.

I can’t believe people are asking this. I wouldn’t been pissed about Tennessee but not Florida. Florida is a legit job that is tough to turn down.

MetEdDawg
11-26-2017, 08:39 PM
I?m about to jump on the Bill Clark bandwagon. Lose Mullen, probably Grantham, probably others. Have to reassure recruits that we are going to continue to improve and work towards trying to establish ourselves. Bill Clark, even though on a smaller less national level, has had to sell that.

Good coach, high school connections in an area we recruit in, and could be national coach of the year. He?s not Malzahn but he?s followed a similar career path. He can coach up players and I would like to see what he could do without all the drama he had to deal with and the resources we have at our disposal.

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2017, 08:43 PM
Simply put...Money.

Has nothing to do with money.

BorneDawg
11-26-2017, 08:48 PM
Most of Defense and rb not a rebuild but everywhere else is... And loss of half of next year's recruiting class including QB's of the future.

BorneDawg
11-26-2017, 08:49 PM
I just hope we can hold on to Fitz and Key

msbulldog
11-26-2017, 08:50 PM
Thanks Gun, Positivety is much needed now!

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2017, 08:52 PM
Most of Defense and rb not a rebuild but everywhere else is... And loss of half of next year's recruiting class including QB's of the future.
Mayden is great but Key is the QB of the future. New coach has 3 years to figure that out.

ShotgunDawg
I just hope we can hold on to Fitz and Key

Good lord. Go play in traffic

RocketDawg
How many times have you ever seen this hiring sign:

- SEC Program
- Nationally Ranked
- Outstanding Culture
- Returns Almost Every Starter
- Has a SR QB that may be a Heisman Contender & he is backed up by a stud true FR QB that has all the tools to be just as good if not better.
- Quality Local Recruiting Ground
- Rival on probation.
- Passionate Fan Base
- Will Pay Whatever is Needed.
- Has been to 8 straight Bowl Games

Folks, I'm just as frustrated as many of you, but let's be real: We all knew Dan would eventually leave & we had hoped that it would only be for 1 of about 10 programs. Well... one of those 10 programs offered him the job. Get over it. We employed him for 9 years (which is an eternity in coaching) & he delivered. He earned every penny we ever paid him & left the MSU job far better than he found it. I can't thank Dan enough.

Additionally, because the way he built the program, MSU is able to offer a very unique, rare opportunity to a coach & that is a chance to take over an SEC program that doesn't need to be rebuilt & can win immediately. Of all the open jobs this off season, the MSU is the job with the best actual football team. Think about that.

Perhaps, if Dan was going to leave anyway, this was the best way for it to happen. We are set up for success. Also, maybe change is needed. Maybe Dan had done everything he knew how to do here & the only way for the program to take the next step was for new people & new ideas to build on top of the formula Dan built. Think about that.

I trust that Cohen will have his pick of a number of great coaches as this is a rare opportunity. How many SEC jobs have come open in your life time that was ready made to win & the culture already built?

The last one I can think of was LSU when Saban left & Florida when Spurrier left. Maybe Georgia with Richt? Maybe Miles at LSU? Most are dumpster fires

I'm excited about what can happen here.

What does "outstanding culture" mean?

And ... I didn't realize Alabama was on probation. **

turkish
11-26-2017, 08:54 PM
Because Florida is a top 5 job in America.

I can’t believe people are asking this. I wouldn’t been pissed about Tennessee but not Florida. Florida is a legit job that is tough to turn down.
Sorry. That's BS. If it were true, they'd've announced their new coach long ago. No SEC job is top 5, sans AL. Ask LSU.

cubswillwinitonedaydawg
11-26-2017, 08:57 PM
Agree with most of your points, but worried about Mayden, and not excited about Arky, A&M, and TN looking through the same coaching pool as us (and possibly others depending on how things progress).

ShotgunDawg
11-26-2017, 08:59 PM
Agree with most of your points, but worried about Mayden, and not excited about Arky, A&M, and TN looking through the same coaching pool as us (and possibly others depending on how things progress).

Relax on Mayden. We have Key. New coach has an unreal QB situation regardless of what Mayden does

mparkerfd20
11-26-2017, 09:02 PM
Key came to play for Mullen. With our luck don't be surprised if he decides to transfer and sit a year.

32 Dive
11-26-2017, 09:04 PM
Relax on Mayden. We have Key. New coach has an unreal QB situation regardless of what Mayden does

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to ShotgunDawg again.

BayouDawg
11-26-2017, 09:17 PM
Even if key decides to transfer there are usually restrictions. Doubt we just let him go to Florida.

NWADAWG
11-26-2017, 09:48 PM

Did Mayden (sp?) say he wasn't coming to state or is everyone just assuming?

Homedawg
11-26-2017, 09:52 PM
Simply put...Money.

Omg please stop. Money had nothing to do with it. Please people.

calidawg
11-26-2017, 09:58 PM

We can?t offer you a chance at a national title, but we can offer you an opportunity to land one of the 10 jobs that you can win a national title. If you perform well, we will reward you with top 15 money and you can decide to stay and be paid handomesly or go pursue your dream of winning a national title at a top 10 school.