PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else excited about the future?

Coach34
11-26-2017, 06:14 PM
Great team returning for 2018 to move our bowl streak to 9 straight
Chance to get a coach that enjoys recruiting
OM is still getting sanctions
Our OOC will still provide 3 easy wins per season- and Mullen never beat a P5 team in the regular season in his 9 years
Lots of good young talent on the team

A solid hire and things may just get elevated around here

DownwardDawg
11-26-2017, 06:17 PM
I'm very excited!! Mullen was very average at play calling and he looked lost against the big boys.

SandlotDawg
11-26-2017, 06:17 PM
I want to be optimistic, but with all of the schools looking for a new coach, I’m not confident that we make the best hire possible.

KOdawg1
11-26-2017, 06:18 PM
if we get anything I hope we get a good recruiter

Dawgology
11-26-2017, 06:18 PM
I’m anxious right now. Not doom and gloom. Cohen did well on the baseball hire (by the look of it) but this is football. What I DO know is we have an AD that cares about State and wants to be here. That gives me confidence in his priorities and the care for which he will give in this search. But this is his first big hire outside of his forte. He’s about to earn his stripes.

K9 Avenger
11-26-2017, 06:19 PM
NO

Lumpy Chucklelips
I was worried when it was known that Cohen was stepping down. I?m elated that it happened now. Hopefully I will feel the same about football.

calidawg
Yeah. We’ll be fine. Need to hang on to our QBs both on the roster and mayden. We have the best current roster of any other available SEC job, our former coach went to a big time school, and we have shown we are willing to pay upwards of 5 million to a coach who goes 8-4 and loses to their rival. Everyone relax

shoeless joe
Yes I am. I think we can hire a guy that can improve upon dan's deficiencies even if it's not the biggest of names. Gotta keep this class as intact as possible and get a top notch DC...assuming grantham leaves.

Sacrifice
11-26-2017, 06:20 PM
I am. I feel Ike this could be a Tony Dungy to John Gruden type situation. The talent is there. We need somebody to take it to the next level

PassInterference
11-26-2017, 06:20 PM
We are at our higher point of potential since 2014.

There is obviously anxiety over not having a HC, OC, or DC right now. Some big moves need to be made real quick. Gotta hang on to our recruits.

Boston
11-26-2017, 06:21 PM
Give us a list of names 34!

JDog13
Yep, tired of his job shopping. He fluctuated between 8/9 wins and 5/6. Bring on new blood.

Coach34
I’m anxious right now. Not doom and gloom. Cohen did well on the baseball hire (by the look of it) but this is football. What I DO know is we have an AD that cares about State and wants to be here. That gives me confidence in his priorities and the care for which he will give in this search. But this is his first big hire outside of his forte. He’s about to earn his stripes.

The thing that gives me confidence is that he helped hire Mullen- and he has been working on this for over a week now- he knew it was coming. We'll likely have someone by Friday seems to be the general consensus. I'm pumped

IMissJack
I'm not buying until I see who tbe hire is, and what happens to the recruiting class. For any faults he had, Mullen was the best qb coach and qb recruiter we ever had. That was the biggest reason for any success we had with him.

fader2103
11-26-2017, 06:22 PM
Lee Wooldridge for HC

Commercecomet24
11-26-2017, 06:22 PM
John Cohen is a competitor and a winner. He will find a winner to lead our football program. Screw Mullen

shannondawg
11-26-2017, 06:23 PM
What will happen to our commits with Dan being gone?

Big time Gators hire a 4-4 sec coach, so things can't be too bad. So we can't do too worse.

msstate7
I would be a lot more excited if you knew what you were talking about when you said grantham was staying

Cooterpoot
I just don't see a coach out there that I believe can move us forward. Just a bad time for a coaching change. I think we hire a Rick Ray and are looking for a new gu in 3 years. Sorry, I'm just not excited about the names out there.

Commercecomet24
11-26-2017, 06:24 PM
Our OOC will still provide 3 easy wins per season- and Mullen never beat a P5 team in the regular season in his 9 years

I?m pissed at Mullen but gotta say I?m kinda excited about who we could get and take that next step that Dan never could.

WinningIsRelentless
11-26-2017, 06:24 PM
Thank god Strickland isn't making this hire. I have full faith in Cohen.

redstickdawg
11-26-2017, 06:25 PM
This is certainly sarcasm, right. With all of the big boys out looking and the fact that we are several days/ weeks late to the game due mullen f'ing us, we are not in a good place. None of the naes that I have heard are anything exciting or vibrant, ones that will do anything but pull a paycheck. We must not go for someone that has previously failed as a HC, a lower level HC or an up and coming OC. Unfortunately the options are very, very limited. In the SECw alone, we would be behind Tamu and ark, tenn in the east and several others.

We will not be in position with a new weak staff to take advantage of the issues that the shitbirds have brought upon themselves and anyone that thinks so needs to be drug tested.

C34 gets his wish and gets rid of mullen though, that is what is important?

Turfdawg67
11-26-2017, 06:27 PM
Yeah. We?ll be fine. Need to hang on to our QBs both on the roster and mayden. We have the best current roster of any other available SEC job, our former coach went to a big time school, and we have shown we are willing to pay upwards of 5 million to a coach who goes 8-4 and loses to their rival. Everyone relax

Pretty sure Mullen will be after Mayden to follow him to UF and why wouldn't he? He wanted to play for Dan, just like Key.

Charlie_Sheen420
Lee Wooldridge for HC

Just go ahead and give us the death penalty

WeWonItAll(Most)
I'm anxious. We're at a crossroads, and I don't see many names that I feel like could take us to the next level. And that's ignoring the fact that we're competing with a lot of other schools For those names

Commercecomet24
11-26-2017, 06:28 PM
Geez guys mullen was an unknown when we hired him too and coming into a dumpster fire. Cohen will hire a winner.

Coach34
11-26-2017, 06:28 PM
Give us a list of names 34!

So much chatter out there- who knows right now.

Satterfield
Odom and Cohen are buddies- Josh Heupel is his OC and doing a good job
Monken? I worry about him because his OC Lindsey may have been the key there- and Lindsey has been great at Auburn
Would Taggert come? Unlikely
Norvell seems to have a skeleton but is an outstanding coach. I'd work that one if I could.
Clark at UAB is not a name- but a damn good coach
Venables' name gets thrown around alot.
Kiffin? People hate him but he does a good job and he recruits

We should get a good coach because people know where the program is currently and whats on the roster. We also dont have the turmoil the basketball program had under Stands. I'm excited to see where it goes

Coach34
11-26-2017, 06:31 PM
I would be a lot more excited if you knew what you were talking about when you said grantham was staying

that was for Tenn- not Fla

K9 Avenger
11-26-2017, 06:31 PM
This is certainly sarcasm, right. With all of the big boys out looking and the fact that we are several days/ weeks late to the game due mullen f'ing us, we are not in a good place. None of the naes that I have heard are anything exciting or vibrant, ones that will do anything but pull a paycheck. We must not go for someone that has previously failed as a HC, a lower level HC or an up and coming OC. Unfortunately the options are very, very limited. In the SECw alone, we would be behind Tamu and ark, tenn in the east and several others.

We will not be in position with a new weak staff to take advantage of the issues that the shitbirds have brought upon themselves and anyone that thinks so needs to be drug tested.

C34 gets his wish and gets rid of mullen though, that is what is important?

This....and expect the current recruiting class to be gutted.

Coach34
11-26-2017, 06:33 PM
I'm anxious. We're at a crossroads, and I don't see many names that I feel like could take us to the next level. And that's ignoring the fact that we're competing with a lot of other schools For those names

There were alot of people downing Mullen when we hired him and even rumors he was forced out by Meyer. There are good coaches out there and we will get one

Offshore Dawg
Yeah. We?ll be fine. Need to hang on to our QBs both on the roster and mayden. We have the best current roster of any other available SEC job, our former coach went to a big time school, and we have shown we are willing to pay upwards of 5 million to a coach who goes 8-4 and loses to their rival. Everyone relax

You can forget about those two QB in 2018 & 2019 they were coming for the man that made Dak

Ifyouonlyknew
Excited about change also nervous. The known is always more comforting than the unknown.

Spiderman
11-26-2017, 06:35 PM

No, because we probably lose the 2 QB commits, lose the ability to get those types in the future, probably losing Grantham, and Greg Knox is the interim coach with no assistants on offense for the bowl.

Dawgface
Excited? Depends on who we hire.......

Dawgfan77
I just don't see a coach out there that I believe can move us forward. Just a bad time for a coaching change. I think we hire a Rick Ray and are looking for a new gu in 3 years. Sorry, I'm just not excited about the names out there.
I agree cooter. Not sold on monken or Pruitt, Odom, or Satterfiels. I was excited about Mullen cause of the offense he ran At UF. At MSU we can play D we can get D talent we need an offensive coach. I hope we make a great hire.

Op4isabitch
11-26-2017, 06:42 PM
I think Norvell is the best available for our situation. The guy flat out gets it done on Offense and we have a nice group on defense if we can find a good DC.

Coach34
11-26-2017, 06:42 PM
I agree cooter. Not sold on monken or Pruitt, Odom, or Satterfiels. I was excited about Mullen cause of the offense he ran At UF. At MSU we can play D we can get D talent we need an offensive coach. I hope we make a great hire.

Odom's offense is better than ours

Op4isabitch
11-26-2017, 06:43 PM
Excited about change also nervous. The known is always more comforting than the unknown.

Shouldn't you be at the house packing Megan's luggage!

Political Hack
11-26-2017, 06:49 PM
Key has a RS year to sit if he wants to leave. Fitz could grad transfer. Mayden could sign at Florida now.

It’s a legit possibility we won’t have a scholarship QB on campus by spring. Yeah, things look fantastic.

WeWonItAll(Most)
There were alot of people downing Mullen when we hired him and even rumors he was forced out by Meyer. There are good coaches out there and we will get one
That's true, and I'm not doubting that we can do it. The fact that I can't see what our next move should be makes me nervous. But I'm not paid to be our AD and make these decisions nor should I be. However, it's also true that the most surefire hire has a certain degree of risk to it.

BankerDog
Excited because:
1) I don't have to hear every freaking year of our coach leaving.
2) We don't have to sign 7 TEs and never throw to them or use them.
3) We don't recruit 5 5'9-5'11 WRs, call them the next "Percy Harvin" and never utilize them or use them like Percy Harvin.
4) We won't run our QB 25 times again up the middle.
5) No more Brandon Holloway up the middle or playing over more talented players.
6) No more playing a struggling QB when the young guy is moving the ball up and down the field (Tyler Russell, Gator Bowl vs. Northwestern)

RougeDawg
11-26-2017, 06:52 PM
Are there any up and comer offensive guys from the Leach and Meyer trees?

C34 is acting like the 8th year senior frat guy riding down sorority row on bid day. Fresh meat for him to devour.

Spiderman
11-26-2017, 06:53 PM
Excited because:
3) We don't recruit 5 5'9-5'11 WRs, call them the next "Percy Harvin" and never utilize them or use them like Percy Harvin.
5) No more Brandon Holloway up the middle or playing over more talented players.
6) No more playing a struggling QB when the young guy is moving the ball up and down the field (Tyler Russell, Gator Bowl vs. Northwestern)

If he wins you will

Pollodawg
It was time for new blood. 9 years is too long to be anywhere nowadays.

GreenheadDawg

I?m not either. There?s a list full of Rick Ray?s out there

BuckyIsAB****
11-26-2017, 06:54 PM
Get a defensive HC (Venables, Pruitt) wear peoples ass out on D like were going to be able to next year, and RTGDF on offense and we will be fine. No more Air mullen

fishwater99
11-26-2017, 06:55 PM
Only immediate concern is our current recruiting class.

Coach34
11-26-2017, 06:57 PM
We pay top 15 salary. We are much more likely to get a Cannizarro type than a RR

RougeDawg
11-26-2017, 06:57 PM
What?s old QB coach we had two years ago, Brian Johnson? Bring him in as OC. He seemed to be what helped Dak most.

LC Dawg
11-26-2017, 07:00 PM
Cohen was evaluating head baseball coaching hires before he was even AD so I?m sure he?s been evaluating head football coach choices for a while knowing that Mullen likes to look around. I?m guessing we get the right guy even if it?s not some home run hire.

Coursesuper
11-26-2017, 07:00 PM
Only immediate concern is our current recruiting class.

This

Commercecomet24
11-26-2017, 07:02 PM
We pay top 15 salary. We are much more likely to get a Cannizarro type than a RR

Absolutely. This ain?t LT hiring a coach.

IMissJack

I was so ready to get rid of Croom in 2008, I would have been happy with anyone not named Croom.

redstickdawg
I?m not either. There?s a list full of Rick Ray?s out there

That is what I have seen for the most part as well. A bunch of RR's that we should not consider r retreaded failed former HC's. I thought Mullen was a great hire when we got him as he was an offensive guy that we have forever missed. We have the defensive guys, we needed what Mullen brought offensive mindset and QB development, don't see those qualities in any of the floated names. A defensive guy would be a huge mistake and almost Croom like.

K9 Avenger
11-26-2017, 07:03 PM
Odom's offense is better than ours

Odom's offense isn't worth a damn with our receivers

Randolph Dupree
11-26-2017, 07:04 PM
I?m excited. Liked Dan but you move on. I️ trust Cohen. Every hire he has made has been good. Now as for Mullen, I️ hope we hang 60 on UF next year and he finishes 4-8 and after going 8-4 the next two years I️ hope he has to call Scott to see if he can borrow some loafers so he can walk out of town after he is fired.

...oh and I️ hope Megan has to drive south of Orlando for groceries. Still though, overall, I️ mean I️ wish th the best.

dawgday166
11-26-2017, 07:05 PM
Excited because:

Rep +1. Love #4.

And if I may add a couple or 3:
7) No more taking 4 and a half minutes of 5 minutes left to drive for a score, when needing 2 scores to win.
8) No more deer in the headlights look on his face in last 2 minutes when trailing by 7 or less. The guy had no concept of a 2 minute offense.
9) No more not using timeouts when called for, or using them when not called for.

Coach34
11-26-2017, 07:05 PM

well- then his ass better recruit if he comes here

sleepy dawg
11-26-2017, 07:06 PM
Excited because:

There'll be plenty of new shit for everyone to hate soon enough. Just be patient.

K9 Avenger
11-26-2017, 07:07 PM

Recruiting is about to go to shit....totally starting over

dawgoneyall
11-26-2017, 07:08 PM
Lee Wooldridge for HC

NO, NO, NO. 13 & 34 is too good to stop
A national championship isn't worth that.

Coach34
11-26-2017, 07:09 PM

disagree. We'll always recruit Mississippi. It's not like the coaches in the state liked Mullen. The new guy will have contacts and get people in

Big4Dawg
11-26-2017, 07:10 PM
Why would Odom leave Mizzou? Went to school there

Commercecomet24
11-26-2017, 07:10 PM
disagree. We'll always recruit Mississippi. It's not like the coaches in the state liked Mullen. The new guy will have contacts and get people in

This is true. I mean Dan even came in and kept our best recruits for that class. Russell, bumphis, etc.

Reason2succeed
11-26-2017, 07:11 PM

WAIT!!!! You were giving Mullen grief and now you want to hire a coach that lost 5 straight games this year and finished 6-6!!!!!! Good lord you’re a piece of work!

Jack Lambert
11-26-2017, 07:12 PM

I think with the right guy we will keep our Mississippi guys. Hopefully Cohen keeps Brad Petterson and that other high school coach in the Department.

Coursesuper
11-26-2017, 07:14 PM
No, because we probably lose the 2 QB commits, lose the ability to get those types in the future, probably losing Grantham, and Greg Knox is the interim coach with no assistants on offense for the bowl.

Agree, I also agree we are at a crossroads. This class that was in hand and the up coming class were the key to,the future and the ones that would put us firmly in front of UNM for the foreseeable future. That is out the window now and we are back to square 1. We have a solid core coming back that is for sure but there are gaping holes also, we are razor thin on the oline and weak at all receiver pos minus TE. The timing of this couldn't be worse for us. Thanks for being a gigantic douche Jeremy Foley.

DogsofAnarchy
11-26-2017, 07:15 PM
I hope we act on the new coach before Friday. 5 Days is to long with the fragility of our recruiting class.

RezDog7
11-26-2017, 07:18 PM
The real question that nobody has asked. Is Hevesy going with him? That guy is a hell of a recruiter.

DLGDawg
11-26-2017, 07:20 PM

I feel the same IYOK. IMO this is the most important football head coaching hire in the history of our program.

In my lifetime, we have never had the opportunity that we have right now. Eight years we have been viewed as a pretty good team/program. If we can continue winning/bowl games the next few years.....that's a kids whole life in grades 1-12+/- that have seen MSU as nothing but a pretty dang good team/program. Throw in the fact that "old Mississippi way of thinking" is going to get hammered and will be down for the next half decade. We have a HUGE opportunity right now. So, go Cohen go. Find us a winner.

Coach34
11-26-2017, 07:26 PM
WAIT!!!! You were giving Mullen grief and now you want to hire a coach that lost 5 straight games this year and finished 6-6!!!!!! Good lord you’re a piece of work!

Odom went 7-5 and had the best offense in the SEC this year. He will get SEC COY votes

I'm not saying he is my top choice by any means- but he did a really good job at Mizzou this season.

turkish
11-26-2017, 07:28 PM
It's not like the coaches in the state liked Mullen.
Interesting. Is this a clue to the origins of your disdain?

Back on topic, I can't think of a worse time in the past 30 years for MSU to be hiring a coach. No, Im not excited.

msstate7
11-26-2017, 07:31 PM
Interesting. Weren't you a coach?

Back on topic, I can't think of a worse time in the past 30 years for MSU to Ben hiring a coach. No, in not excite

And he hated Mullen...

Virgil Caine
11-26-2017, 07:32 PM
Odom's a defensive guy. Mizzou's offense is Josh Heupel's offense. Was OC for a year at Utah State before Mizzou, and Utah State had a heck of an offense that year. Odom had a great D and Mizzou before becoming a head coach, and was at Memphis when they had that great D a few years back too.

the59dawg
11-26-2017, 07:39 PM
What will happen to our commits with Dan being gone?

Big time Gators hire a 4-4 sec coach, so things can't be too bad. So we can't do too worse.

Expect Mullen to take our TX qb recruit and our wide receiver recruits and the JUCO good guys. Take out a contract on him.

Virgil Caine
11-26-2017, 07:47 PM
Sky ain't falling.

https://twitter.com/PJ247Sports/status/934943893740834817

Paul Jones @PJ247Sports
10m

Dan Mullen transformed Mississippi State to Hail State and should be thanked for the job he did of rebuilding the program. That said, the new coach is walking into a program with a loaded roster of talent. Sky ain't falling.

turkish
11-26-2017, 07:50 PM
It's fallING. It just hasn't yet fallEN.

Coach34
11-26-2017, 07:54 PM
And he hated Mullen...

Fake News

Coach34
11-26-2017, 07:56 PM
Expect Mullen to take our TX qb recruit and our wide receiver recruits and the JUCO good guys. Take out a contract on him.

Florida already has 16 commits with 8 4-star guys. Mullen cant sign 40 guys

Dildoes
11-26-2017, 07:57 PM
This time is literally the most important time as a program for us to have stability at the coaching position. This recruiting class and the next few are our shot to actually bury OM. It will take a miracle worker to come in and salvage these - Bama/LSU/Aub may finally tear down the fences around the state. Mullen was a great fit for us because he specialized in the one position that can single-handedly elevate a team. I genuinely believe there isn't a better QB guru out there now that is accessible to us. Our ticket out of the gutter was on the backs of QBs like Dak and Nick, and I have serious doubts we can keep that level of QB performance going in the future. Like PH said, it's not out of the realm of possibility that we could lose every QB associated with our team right now.

I'm fully ready to be blown away and have to eat my words. I'll be 100% behind whoever we get, but you're naive if you're not fairly worried

msstate7
11-26-2017, 07:59 PM
Florida already has 16 commits with 8 4-star guys. Mullen cant sign 40 guys

And the vultures will be poaching them just like us

Coursesuper
11-26-2017, 08:00 PM
Sky ain't falling.

https://twitter.com/PJ247Sports/status/934943893740834817

Paul Jones @PJ247Sports
10m

Dan Mullen transformed Mississippi State to Hail State and should be thanked for the job he did of rebuilding the program. That said, the new coach is walking into a program with a loaded roster of talent. Sky ain't falling.

What's he supposed to say? He and the rest just push maroon and white propaganda. Damn we are a gullible bunch.

BuckyIsAB****
11-26-2017, 08:01 PM
Odom went 7-5 and had the best offense in the SEC this year. He will get SEC COY votes

I'm not saying he is my top choice by any means- but he did a really good job at Mizzou this season.

Missouri didnt beat a team with a winning record. Hang the odom shit up right now

Dildoes
11-26-2017, 08:02 PM
Mullen was thiiiiis close to cementing us in the TCU/Wisconsin/Okie State tier. But he left right before rolling the boulder to the summit. I'm very worried that it's gonna roll wayyy back down before it gets caught.

Coach34
11-26-2017, 08:09 PM
Missouri didnt beat a team with a winning record. Hang the odom shit up right now

dude- I'm not pushing him. He and Cohen are buddies so I know he has gotten a look. He is far from my top choice but Heupel (sp) as OC wouldnt be bad

Coach34
11-26-2017, 08:10 PM
And the vultures will be poaching them just like us

Our new coach is gonna poach also

BuckyIsAB****
11-26-2017, 08:12 PM
dude- I'm not pushing him. He and Cohen are buddies so I know he has gotten a look. He is far from my top choice but Heupel (sp) as OC wouldnt be bad

No. Just no. I dont give a shit.

MabenMaroon
11-26-2017, 08:13 PM
I like the idea of Mike Bobo, doing quite well at CSU and has an excellent SEC pedigree and ties to the south.

WildDawg
11-26-2017, 08:17 PM
Our new coach is gonna poach also

You talkin like Bret Belema-ish poaching? I'm very skeptic, but am very open to being proven wrong!