PDA

View Full Version : Listening to the CBS halftime report a few minutes ago,

thf24
09-28-2013, 04:38 PM
you would have thought that Bama is the underdog today. I'm hoping to no end that the Bear dick riding will end after a skull dragging today, although I have a sickening feeling that the media will just ignore it and keep the artificial hype train right on rolling. They have too much invested in it to let reality get in the way at this point.

Bear@Work
09-28-2013, 04:57 PM
Why is this so personally offensive to a lot of our fans? That's all I see on my Facebook is how upset people are because the media is saying good stuff about OM and they feel like its such a personal slight to MSU and their life as an extension.

To me it's just another game. I dislike both of them and hope they all burn in a fire but I don't get upset because the media points out the positives and negatives of each team and makes it look like it will be a good matchup.

What is it with the physiology of our fan base that this is so painful?

thf24
09-28-2013, 05:16 PM
Although I do feel a little childish for getting worked up about it, the reason our fans take it so hard is that our biggest rival and recruiting competitor is getting free and mostly undeserved press from the national media, an advantage that they wouldn't offer us if the roles were reversed. Perception has become almost as important as actually winning games, and it's going to get harder and harder to be successful if ESPN and others are doing half the work in that area for them. The sooner it stops, the better it is for us.

Also, they aren't just objectively pointing out pros and cons for both teams. Maybe in the script alone they are, but when you take context and tone into account, it's blatantly obvious who they're pushing.

Coach34
09-28-2013, 05:16 PM
it's the same way with them when we were getting love last year and before- neither side wants a positive word to ever be spoken about the other

MarketingBully01
09-28-2013, 05:22 PM
The media will have a hard time justifying the hype when Ole Miss loses their next four games...

PassInterference
09-28-2013, 05:23 PM
It is true that everybody loves an underdog.

We had that until Mullen hype wore off. Franklin has had it at Vandy.

Add to that the media influence of decades of Ole Miss journalism grads pumping things and this is what we get.

This too shall pass. In about 3 hours. Ole Miss will "go toe to toe" with Bama in a 28 point loss.

chainedup_Dawg
09-28-2013, 05:58 PM
The issue I have with it is when it was us last year all I heard from analyst was "they're 7-0....but, who have they played" seems when its OM that part is always omitted

thf24
09-28-2013, 06:07 PM
The issue I have with it is when it was us last year all I heard from analyst was "they're 7-0....but, who have they played" seems when its OM that part is always omitted

Exactly. Nor did we have multiple ESPN specials about us within the past year. They also never miss a chance to fawn over their recruiting class, without mentioning that it didn't start the season as highly rated as it was on signing day or that it's currently under the early stages of an NCAA investigation.

smootness
09-28-2013, 06:45 PM

Not true...that stuff has really only been said on message boards and by our own fans.

chainedup_Dawg
09-28-2013, 06:46 PM
No, I remember several instances during the 7-0 run and while we were playing Bama

smootness
09-28-2013, 06:51 PM
No, I remember several instances during the 7-0 run and while we were playing Bama

I guarantee you all Ole Miss fans heard was, 'What a huge game! Undefeated Mississippi State!' They were probably asking why everyone was hyping State despite not playing anybody...same as us with them now.

chainedup_Dawg
09-28-2013, 07:37 PM
Again, I said the analyst were saying this. However they don't for them. I even remember several games that didn't even involve us where the color guys would show us on the teams schedule and say something to the effect of "and there sits State at whatever & 0" and the other guy would say "yeah well they haven't played anybody either". You can argue all you want but I heard it multiple times. All you hear about OM is the overflowing fellation.