PDA

View Full Version : Qwerstion For You Recruiting Types

Spiderman
11-25-2017, 09:47 AM
Unless they get a lot of media pub, I don't keep up with HS kids much.

That said, what is the deal on this Brownlee kid out of West Point?

He went off last night with a monster game last night as a WR. And while doing so, it is reported he abused a State CB commit while doing so.

Shouldn't a WR, where we are desperate for help at, that beats a kid we want to play CB for us, be the type kid we are after? The kid evidentley has no offers from the larger schools and is hungry to get one.

Isn't that the type Dan likes? Is the kid a grade or attitude problem? Is he too small? I really don't know, that's why I'm asking.

Bu if a kid can win one on one against a kid we think is scholarship worthy, shouldn't he be scholarship worthy also?

Reminds me of my favorite western where they are looking for gunmen to join the group. A man says "look at that man's scars. He has been in many fights. He looks like the one we need."

Another says, "No, I want the man who gave him those scars."

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2017, 09:48 AM
Grades maybe?

Mjoelner34
11-25-2017, 09:55 AM
Don't know anything about the WR but it sounds like the CB will fit right in.

stalkingpoon
11-25-2017, 09:57 AM
I was told yesterday it's not his grades. Not sure what's the deal.

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2017, 10:18 AM
His Hudl page says he is 6'3" & runs a 4.7

That's probably the reason

Spiderman
11-25-2017, 10:20 AM

Well we need to drop that CB then.

msstate7
11-25-2017, 10:21 AM

If the 4.7 is real, that?s enough imo. If it is not (probably is not), then yeah, speed

msstate7
11-25-2017, 10:22 AM
Well we need to drop that CB then.

Spider, you smart enough to know measurables are just as important when projecting players.

ETA... look at fitz. There were probably 150 guys in HS that put fitz to shame playing qb, but dan saw something. Hopefully he sees something in the cb

Spiderman
11-25-2017, 10:26 AM
Spider, you smart enough to know measurables are just as important when projecting players.

I also know measurables don't play.

I like playmakers. Especially one's that win one on ones.

I coached quite a few All Uniform All-Americans. They watched the play makers play

ShotgunDawg
11-25-2017, 10:26 AM
If the 4.7 is real, that?s enough imo. If it is not (probably is not), then yeah, speed

If it is real. Usually those profiles bend the truth a little.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was a really a 4.8 or 4.9

We need more speed on the field

msstate7
11-25-2017, 10:31 AM
I also know measurables don't play.

I like playmakers. Especially one's that win one on ones.

I coached quite a few All Uniform All-Americans. They watched the play makers play

Dylan favre was a playmaker

msstate7
11-25-2017, 10:31 AM
If it is real. Usually those profiles bend the truth a little.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was a really a 4.8 or 4.9

We need more speed on the field

Absolutely

msstate7
11-25-2017, 10:39 AM
To add on measurable/performance... my little cousin at 5?9? 195 lb at olb absolutely abused Greg Eiland in Neshoba/philly game. My cousin was a tackling machine during his career. My cousin no longer plays and Greg will be starting in the sec next season. HS performance matters, but it should never override measurables imo

Spiderman
11-25-2017, 11:07 AM
To add on measurable/performance... my little cousin at 5?9? 195 lb at olb absolutely abused Greg Eiland in Neshoba/philly game. My cousin was a tackling machine during his career. My cousin no longer plays and Greg will be starting in the sec next season. HS performance matters, but it should never override measurables imo

you don't sign Favre or your damn cousin. But if you sign a dude with measurables that doesn't make plays you might as well sign Favre. And I'm talking skill players, not linemen.

Guess who made a huge play for OM the other night. A dude without measurables. Bunch of bigger faster dudes were standing on their sideline down the depth chart from him.

Now, I ain't saying that's the rule, but screw potential. Potential will get you beat.

The CB he beat might be a player. I have no idea, never seen him play. But if he got whipped by a slow dude, it concerns me. Slow dude made plays he didn't.

Bear Wilson didn't have elite speed on a clock. And he made a ton of plays. He was "slow" but got separation and got behind SEC teams. Bet we have people faster than him now, but they can't do either.

I think the fastest Rice was every recorded was 4.6, but he didn't get caught from behind much. State didn't recruit Rice because he didn't have "measurables."

msstate7
11-25-2017, 11:10 AM
you don't sign Favre or your damn cousin. But if you sign a dude with measurables that doesn't make plays you might as well sign Favre. And I'm talking skill players, not linemen.

Guess who made a huge play for OM the other night. A dude without measurables. Bunch of bigger faster dudes were standing on their sideline down the depth chart from him.

Now, I ain't saying that's the rule, but screw potential. Potential will get you beat.

The CB he beat might be a player. I have no idea, never seen him play. But if he got whipped by a slow dude, it concerns me. Slow dude made plays he didn't.

Bear Wilson didn't have elite speed on a clock. And he made a ton of plays. He was "slow" but got separation and got behind SEC teams. Bet we have people faster than him now, but they can't do either.

I think the fastest Rice was every recorded was 4.6, but he didn't get caught from behind much. State didn't recruit Rice because he didn't have "measurables."

Bear was offered for what we thought he could be, not what he was in HS. Thanks for a good example for me lol

tcdog70
11-25-2017, 11:16 AM

Jerry Rice ran 4.6. But nobody ever caught Him. Football speed is a real thing. The proof is in the pudding.

Cooterpoot
11-25-2017, 11:16 AM
Grades. He’s headed to EMCC.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-25-2017, 11:21 AM
Brownlee has been very good this year but you're not taking him over Heath, Guidry, Watson, or Whop. Monitor him in juco & if he puts up great #'s offer him in 2yrs.

Spiderman
11-25-2017, 11:24 AM
Bear was offered for what we thought he could be, not what he was in HS. Thanks for a good example for me lol

He was offered because he made plays also.

Look I'm tired of arguing with you. You should be with me considering who usually is right. You claim I make your argument on Bear. Whatever, I notice you didn't on the other points.

I've coached, I've scouted film. I know a little about it.

We got some big fast, athletic dudes in our secondary. Fine looking kids with it all. Except one thing, the ability to make plays. They got abused all year, and at times by people with no SEC offers. How many ints did we get this year? Probably dropped as many as we caught. I want some play makers back there.

I want some playmakers at WR and DB. I'm sick of measurables and potential.

I don't give a shit how fast he can shuffle, do a cone drill, or bench press. Can the SOB make plays? Well he has the potential too. Screw that. If they ever set up a cone drill after the kickoff, let's sign him.

I don't know what we are recruiting, but I did see something on Heath at WR where he has basically my stats from HS, which is about zero. He have any plays on film winning one on ones, in a damn game, against another decent player to make me go wow?

I hope so. Because we don't need a potential WR, we need a damn WR.

Ifyouonlyknew
11-25-2017, 11:28 AM
I don't know what we are recruiting, but I did see something on Heath at WR where he has basically my stats from HS, which is about zero. He have any plays on film winning one on ones, in a damn game, against another decent player to make me go wow?

Malik mid season highlights

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5117067/59d56d3edfd8c73214832112

Spiderman
11-25-2017, 11:31 AM
Grades. He’s headed to EMCC.

Thank you Cooter.

Spiderman
11-25-2017, 11:34 AM
Malik mid season highlights

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/5117067/59d56d3edfd8c73214832112

Thank You, Dan. !st film I've seen on him.

BTW, those booth coaches in the background sound like future Saban's for sure

tcdog70
11-25-2017, 12:56 PM
He was offered because he made plays also.

Look I'm tired of arguing with you. You should be with me considering who usually is right. You claim I make your argument on Bear. Whatever, I notice you didn't on the other points.

I've coached, I've scouted film. I know a little about it.

We got some big fast, athletic dudes in our secondary. Fine looking kids with it all. Except one thing, the ability to make plays. They got abused all year, and at times by people with no SEC offers. How many ints did we get this year? Probably dropped as many as we caught. I want some play makers back there.

I want some playmakers at WR and DB. I'm sick of measurables and potential.

I don't give a shit how fast he can shuffle, do a cone drill, or bench press. Can the SOB make plays? Well he has the potential too. Screw that. If they ever set up a cone drill after the kickoff, let's sign him.

I don't know what we are recruiting, but I did see something on Heath at WR where he has basically my stats from HS, which is about zero. He have any plays on film winning one on ones, in a damn game, against another decent player to make me go wow

Wait, what you are saying is you want a football player. Tired of looks like Tarzan plays like Jane. Those highlights are pretty weak. Noxubee has 2 wr with way better highlights against better competition. I'm Leary of a highschool wr who hasn't caught but around 20 catches. I didn't see any separation. I didn't see him running deep and catching a ball. Maybe he has showed out at camp. But he looks pretty average in the highlights.

stalkingpoon
11-25-2017, 01:08 PM
Heath is a baller. He's a product of having no QB. He balled out at camp.