PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Feldman on Mullen

ShotgunDawg
11-24-2017, 12:23 PM
I'm getting good vibes this morning. I honestly don't believe Mullen desires to leave. At this point I'd be surprised if he did. I really think he is happy here & wants to continue to build.

Last night is completely irrelevant in the grand scheme

https://i.imgur.com/oaR58BH.jpg

VandelayIndustries
11-24-2017, 12:25 PM
Yea posted this in the other thread but this is good to hear

msstate7
11-24-2017, 12:26 PM
The staff part is key. We have to keep grantham.

HoopsDawg
11-24-2017, 12:31 PM

If we keep Mullen but lose Grantham I can't say I will be too excited

MarketingBully
11-24-2017, 12:32 PM
I think we will end up keeping Mullen. I think Cohen needs to add a huge buyout to this contract though. We need to put a stop to these shitty rumors everytime a HC position opens up. He has basically lost 3/4 Egg Bowls due to these rumors and shopping himself around. You want stability? It starts with Mullen and him not shopping himself around everytime he has a good season. Commitment is a two way street and I’m tired (as a fan and alum of the school) of hearing this shit. Hell, Jackie Sherrill was a better coach then Mullen and we didn’t hear this much shit every year and he was even offered NFL gigs. It’s ridiculous.

parabrave
11-24-2017, 12:33 PM
If we keep Mullen but lose Grantham I can't say I will be too excited

Well what if Grantham is the one that other schools are interested in and not Dan?

MarketingBully
11-24-2017, 12:33 PM

If we keep Mullen we will keep Grantham. Grantham doesn’t want to go anywhere and he already makes a shit ton as the DC.

Bubb Rubb
11-24-2017, 12:44 PM
If we keep Mullen we will keep Grantham. Grantham doesn’t want to go anywhere and he already makes a shit ton as the DC.

I wish Mullen would hire an OC and let him call plays.

Mullen is great at building the program and putting things in place to help create sustained success. He's great at tutoring and improving skills. He's not bad at building a game plan. But sheesh, some of his playcalling has me scratching my head at times.

msstate7
11-24-2017, 12:45 PM
Time to hire an up-and-comer at wr coach that can recruit. I like the rest of the staff

Reason2succeed
11-24-2017, 12:48 PM

Mullen is great at building the program and putting things in place to help create sustained success. He's great at tutoring and improving skills. He's not bad at building a game plan. But sheesh, some of his playcalling has me scratching my head at times.

Great to hear and have media saying.

I disagree with the OC thing. We got better when Mullen started calling plays. I don’t want to go back to the Les Koening era.

DownwardDawg
11-24-2017, 12:49 PM
Mullen is 5-4 against the worst team in the sec west. I'm ok whatever he does.

Bubb Rubb
11-24-2017, 12:53 PM
Great to hear and have media saying.

I disagree with the OC thing. We got better when Mullen started calling plays. I don’t want to go back to the Les Koening era.

The problem was Les Koenning.

Coming out first drive throwing (and throwing a pick) when you know they can't stop your running game is why. You gotta do what you do best. Of course, you have to throw the ball some to keep them honest, but there are ways to do that when you're ahead of the chains. Incomplete passes on first down killed a lot of drives last night.

Intramural All-American
11-24-2017, 12:55 PM

2 of those losses were to teams that went to New Years 6 bowls. Don’t be an idiot and act like ole miss hasn’t been a dang good football team the last three years. And then this year we only lost due to 5 turnovers.

ETA: and our starting qb broke his leg. We don’t lose if Fitz plays while game.

was21
11-24-2017, 12:58 PM
Feldman updated it to quote salary increase to $6 million plus raises for staff

ShotgunDawg
11-24-2017, 01:03 PM
Feldman updated it to quote salary increase to $6 million plus raises for staff

If we pay Mullen 6 mil, he may be here 20 years.

How many schools will pay more than that?

BulldogBear
11-24-2017, 01:05 PM
If and when Mullen leaves it won't be for $$$

BoomBoom
11-24-2017, 01:06 PM

Play calling is not the problem. Mullen is great at that. It's overall strategy that he sucks at. He needs someone helping him with game strategy, including game planning and when to call pass plays. But really that's the job of a HC. He's a great OC and bad HC. Accept it.

RougeDawg
11-24-2017, 01:07 PM

This is why we can?t have nice things.

Todd4State
11-24-2017, 01:08 PM
I believe we would match the 7 million of we had to and I would be fine with it. That's just how coaching salaries are trending nowadays.

Dawgfan77
11-24-2017, 01:08 PM
Here A new take on this We have never leaked anything out regarding extensions or raises usually we just announce it. Feldman has never had great intel on us he loves him some bearsharks. Could this Be is getting out ahead of the news and our fan base saying hey we tried. Also this sends a message to potential HC we arnt afraid to spend $$

Todd4State
11-24-2017, 01:09 PM
Play calling is not the problem. Mullen is great at that. It's overall strategy that he sucks at. He needs someone helping him with game strategy, including game planning and when to call pass plays. But really that's the job of a HC. He's a great OC and bad HC. Accept it.

His strategy is fine. His recruiting in the past has been the main issue. That has gotten better but it takes a little bit of time for players to grow and in some cases arrive on campus.

Political Hack
11-24-2017, 01:11 PM
I’m going to wait until this over to say “told you so” but I’m going to enjoy it when it happens.

Todd4State
11-24-2017, 01:12 PM
Time to hire an up-and-comer at wr coach that can recruit. I like the rest of the staff

We have the top JUCO prospect and an UA All-American committed at the WR position right now.

ShotgunDawg
11-24-2017, 01:12 PM
I’m going to wait until this over to say “told you so” but I’m going to enjoy it when it happens.

What is your take?

Todd4State
11-24-2017, 01:13 PM

That's good news. I'm assuming that you think Dan is staying?

msstate7
11-24-2017, 01:20 PM
We have the top JUCO prospect and an UA All-American committed at the WR position right now.

Yep. Still would like to upgrade gonzo

BoomBoom
11-24-2017, 01:22 PM
His strategy is fine. His recruiting in the past has been the main issue. That has gotten better but it takes a little bit of time for players to grow and in some cases arrive on campus.

His strategy is god awful. Over passing goes without saying. No idea how to manage a clock. No idea what 4 down territory means, constantly going for it on 4th and long after throwing on 2nd and 3rd and medium. He's worse at strategy than CROOM. Seriously. Thank god he's a great OC.

ETA: and no idea what it means to get a play off before a questionable previous one can be reviewed. A few games ago he actually called in a new play while players were ready to snap, which led to a review on a turnover. Croom-tastic.

Homedawg
11-24-2017, 01:27 PM
If and when Mullen leaves it won't be for $$$

Waste of time saying this. Nobody believes it. You are right but nobody is listening.

Political Hack
11-24-2017, 01:41 PM
That's good news. I'm assuming that you think Dan is staying?

Posted in one of the 100 threads last night that he will be between 5.5-6 million and Grantham will be comfortably over $1M next year. And that I was told fairly bluntly that he’s not going to UT.

yjnkdawg
11-24-2017, 01:47 PM

Agree and we need to also pay our assitant coaches more, especially the newest hires.

yjnkdawg
11-24-2017, 01:50 PM
I think we will end up keeping Mullen. I think Cohen needs to add a huge buyout to this contract though. We need to put a stop to these shitty rumors everytime a HC position opens up. He has basically lost 3/4 Egg Bowls due to these rumors and shopping himself around. You want stability? It starts with Mullen and him not shopping himself around everytime he has a good season. Commitment is a two way street and I?m tired (as a fan and alum of the school) of hearing this shit. Hell, Jackie Sherrill was a better coach then Mullen and we didn?t hear this much shit every year and he was even offered NFL gigs. It?s ridiculous.

Different day and time than when Jackie was here. As long as Sexton is Mullen's agent and Mullen's name is a hot commodity. you had a better put on your seat belt for a bumpy ride.

Liverpooldawg
11-24-2017, 01:50 PM
His strategy is god awful. Over passing goes without saying. No idea how to manage a clock. No idea what 4 down territory means, constantly going for it on 4th and long after throwing on 2nd and 3rd and medium. He's worse at strategy than CROOM. Seriously. Thank god he's a great OC.

ETA: and no idea what it means to get a play off before a questionable previous one can be reviewed. A few games ago he actually called in a new play while players were ready to snap, which led to a review on a turnover. Croom-tastic.

Worse than Croom....yeah you know what you are talking about. LOL

Commercecomet24
11-24-2017, 01:55 PM

Thanks again for putting some perspective on this. We aren?t poor ol mstate anymore. We have the right admin, AD and money to do whatever it takes to keep Dan and staff here.

yjnkdawg
11-24-2017, 01:56 PM

As long as Gonzo wants be in that position, I can't see that happening under Mullen unless something earth shattering happened.

yjnkdawg
11-24-2017, 02:02 PM
Posted in one of the 100 threads last night that he will be between 5.5-6 million and Grantham will be comfortably over $1M next year. And that I was told fairly bluntly that he’s not going to UT.

Sounds good......... I like the comment about the "in one of the 100 threads". Typical for ED this time of year.

Todd4State
11-24-2017, 02:03 PM

I agree he needs to manage down and distance in the passing game. Not sure how much of that is the QB taking a risk when he has a better option on a shorter pass.

Disagree he is as bad as Croom.

BoomBoom
11-24-2017, 02:05 PM
Worse than Croom....yeah you know what you are talking about. LOL

Yes, it's that bad. Croom had no idea how to call an offense, but at least he knew the basics of strategy. Sometimes. Punting from the 30 after going for it earlier excepted, that was Mullen-esque.

Liverpooldawg
11-24-2017, 02:08 PM
Yes, it's that bad. Croom had no idea how to call an offense, but at least he knew the basics of strategy. Sometimes. Punting from the 30 after going for it earlier excepted, that was Mullen-esque.

You lost your credibility when you said he was worse than Croom at anything to do with football. HILARIOUS.

bobtail bob
11-24-2017, 02:09 PM
I don't know how I feel about but this yet but as the morning progressed I'm starting to lean on the angry side.
Angry that he is even letting this perceived bidding war tke place. Who else is going to send a plane down in the coming days to scuttle him away ? Naw if he wanted to be here he wouldn't even let recruits think for one second he might not be here. Who's next to swing by next , A&M ? He wants to leave or it wouldn't be all out there like it is.
His shit needs to waiting on him when he gets back. Take that money we are trying to throw at him staying and buy somebody that is as capable as he is along with a little loyalty. Nobody good is going to stay until somebody good decides to stay.

BoomBoom
11-24-2017, 02:12 PM
You lost your credibility when you said he was worse than Croom at anything to do with football. HILARIOUS.

No. Croom was not terrible at everything. He was a terrible HC because of only a couple things he was terrible at an d wouldnt change. Mullen is not a good HC because of a couple things he is terrible at (even worse than Croom) and won't change. Still a much better coach than Croom. Knowing how to run an offense is more important than strategy.

Liverpooldawg
11-24-2017, 02:13 PM
No. Croom was not terrible at everything. He was a terrible HC because of only a couple things he was terrible at an d wouldnt change. Mullen is not a good HC because of a couple things he is terrible at (even worse than Croom) and won't change. Still a much better coach than Croom. Knowing how to run an offense is more important than strategy.

LOL..........just LOL!

fader2103
11-24-2017, 02:31 PM
The only turn over I see is TBuck. Who would u want to replace him with.

BoomBoom
11-24-2017, 02:42 PM
LOL..........just LOL!

The typical Liver response when he's lost. Always the troll.

DudyDawg
11-24-2017, 02:43 PM

First half of the first paragraph spent bashing his offensive coordinating ability- then call him a great OC..... I?ll never get some of you people.

Liverpooldawg
11-24-2017, 02:46 PM
The typical Liver response when he's lost. Always the troll.

Boom, there isn't much else to say. Calling Croom better than Mullen at anything to do with offense is just laughable. His offense was why he got fired. Do you even remember how truly awful his offenses were?

Activated Alpha
11-24-2017, 02:48 PM
I'm sorry, but that shitastic 3-2 Auburn game will forever cement Croom as worse than Mullen. Yes Mullen has his weaknesses, but no where close to Croom.

BoomBoom
11-24-2017, 02:58 PM
First half of the first paragraph spent bashing his offensive coordinating ability- then call him a great OC..... I?ll never get some of you people.

No. The OC calls plays. The HC determines strategy. Mullen is great at play calling, but terrible at strategy.

BoomBoom
11-24-2017, 03:01 PM
Boom, there isn't much else to say. Calling Croom better than Mullen at anything to do with offense is just laughable. His offense was why he got fired. Do you even remember how truly awful his offenses were?

It's not laughable. If you can't see it, I can't help you. Croom had no idea how to run an offense, but at least he knew when to play to his strengths, when field position dictated runs or passes, etc. Not that he was good at that either, but Mullen is worse. Thats the point, that as usual you are completely missing. Croom had his punt at the 30, Mullen makes comparable strategy mistakes multiple times a game. Hes worse.

BoomBoom
11-24-2017, 03:03 PM
I'm sorry, but that shitastic 3-2 Auburn game will forever cement Croom as worse than Mullen. Yes Mullen has his weaknesses, but no where close to Croom.

I dont want to argue which is worse, I'll settle for people accepting Mullen is terrible at strategy.

Liverpooldawg
11-24-2017, 03:29 PM
It's not laughable. If you can't see it, I can't help you. Croom had no idea how to run an offense, but at least he knew when to play to his strengths, when field position dictated runs or passes, etc. Not that he was good at that either, but Mullen is worse. Thats the point, that as usual you are completely missing. Croom had his punt at the 30, Mullen makes comparable strategy mistakes multiple times a game. Hes worse.
No boomer, I totally understand what you are saying. What you are saying is just not correct. It's so not correct that I actually DID laugh out loud when I read it. Croom was totally lost on offense. It was the worst offense I have ever seen at MSU, or most anyplace. Go look at the offensive stats last night, they were damn good, except for one. That was turnovers. Field postion dictating play calling, if that's what you want and want to call it strategy, that was also what got Croom fired. It was one of the major reasons his offense sucked.

BoomBoom
11-24-2017, 03:37 PM
No boomer, I totally understand what you are saying. What you are saying is just not correct. It's so not correct that I actually DID laugh out loud when I read it. Croom was totally lost on offense. It was the worst offense I have ever seen at MSU, or most anyplace. Go look at the offensive stats last night, they were damn good, except for one. That was turnovers. Field postion dictating play calling, if that's what you want and want to call it strategy, that was also what got Croom fired. It was one of the major reasons his offense sucked.

You don't have a clue. You don't even understand the difference between play calling and strategy. Play calling is knowing how to call runs and passes for a ton of yards, knowing how to call the right passing play after you've run easily for 2 first downs. Strategy is knowing when you don't have to, and should run it all the way down the field.

Cooterpoot
11-24-2017, 03:40 PM

BINGO! We need a passing game coordinator with some creativity.

Liverpooldawg
11-24-2017, 04:03 PM
You don't have a clue. You don't even understand the difference between play calling and strategy. Play calling is knowing how to call runs and passes for a ton of yards, knowing how to call the right passing play after you've run easily for 2 first downs. Strategy is knowing when you don't have to, and should run it all the way down the field.

Yes I do boomer, Croom sucked at both, BAD. It's why he got fired.

BoomBoom
11-24-2017, 04:23 PM
Yes I do boomer, Croom sucked at both, BAD. It's why he got fired.

Croom wasn't good at strategy, but Mullen is worse. Mullen is such a good play caller though that sometimes it masks it. Unless you know what you are seeing. Sorry that you dont, but not surprised.

In other words, Mullen has the play calling smarts to know how to pass the ball, but not the strategic wisdom to know when not to. Crrom had a little more wisdom, but no offensive smarts to know what to do with it.

Liverpooldawg
11-24-2017, 04:25 PM
Croom wasn't good at strategy, but Mullen is worse. Mullen is such a good play caller though that sometimes it masks it. Unless you know what you are seeing. Sorry that you dont, but not surprised.

In other words, Mullen has the play calling smarts to know how to pass the ball, but not the strategic wisdom to know when not to. Crrom had a little more wisdom, but no offensive smarts to know what to do with it.

Croom was WAY worse at all of it boomer. He was terrible. This is really funny!

BoomBoom
11-24-2017, 04:35 PM
Croom was WAY worse at all of it boomer. He was terrible. This is really funny!

Ah, so it's just over your head. Got it.

Maroon Wizardry
11-24-2017, 04:37 PM
i love lamp