PDA

View Full Version : Sorry Gators Kelly is going to UCLA

Reason2succeed
11-22-2017, 10:29 AM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21480794/ucla-bruins-meet-chip-kelly-coaching-job

Stricklin might as well call the next name on the list because Kelly will go to UCLA. The Gators are about to get a huge black eye in public perception when they are spurned for UCLA. There will be all types of spinning about how Kelly was afraid of the SEC and wanted another crack at the soft PAC-12.

Tbonewannabe
11-22-2017, 10:33 AM
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21480794/ucla-bruins-meet-chip-kelly-coaching-job

Stricklin might as well call the next name on the list because Kelly will go to UCLA. The Gators are about to get a huge black eye in public perception when they are spurned for UCLA. There will be all types of spinning about how Kelly was afraid of the SEC and wanted another crack at the soft PAC-12.

If he goes to UCLA it will probably have more to do with the toxic environment they have with the administration and boosters. There is a paycheck that is big enough to deal with that crap but I am not sure that UF will pay high enough for any sane coach to go there. Like Megan said, if they didn't beat someone bad enough, the fans made their lives hell. I have no doubt that McElwaine probably received death threats but it is par for the course for those type of programs. Crazy thing is UF before Spurrier wasn't really any better than MSU.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-22-2017, 10:35 AM

UCLA it is. Less stress and he will be in a familiar recruiting area. Sorry Florida move on to plan B

32 Dive
11-22-2017, 10:36 AM
UCLA better be ready to pay Chip 1.5x that they were paying Jim Mora. This, after paying the buyout.

I'm not questioning their ABILITY to pay, just their WILLINGNESS to pay it.

I still think it's crazy, that people are expecting to have the 2010 version of Chip stand behind their podium. A lot of his unique for the time concepts, have proliferated to other programs.

dawgs
11-22-2017, 10:38 AM
I think he’s still going to Florida, just using UCLA as leverage

msstate7
11-22-2017, 10:43 AM
If he chooses UCLA over Florida, it is becoming a trend that the sec is becoming back up plans.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
UCLA better be ready to pay Chip 1.5x that they were paying Jim Mora. This, after paying the buyout.

I'm not questioning their ABILITY to pay, just their WILLINGNESS to pay it.

I still think it's crazy, that people are expecting to have the 2010 version of Chip stand behind their podium. A lot of his unique for the time concepts, have proliferated to other programs.

With Troy Aikman behind it and the fact that it said they are putting on the "Full Court Press" should tell you they are all in.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
I think he’s still going to Florida, just using UCLA as leverage

I think the opposite

Liverpooldawg
11-22-2017, 10:48 AM
UCLA is a REALLY tough job. They aren’t even the top program in their own town but they think they should be. They are not patient than Florida, but the job itself is not an easy one at all.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
11-22-2017, 10:52 AM
UCLA is a REALLY tough job. They aren’t even the top program in their own town but they think they should be. They are not patient than Florida, but the job itself is not an easy one at all.

Would you say it was easier to win the Pac 12 or the SEC? And would a path to the a NC be easier in Pac 12 or SEC?

LC Dawg
11-22-2017, 11:02 AM
I get that Kelly was very successful as a college head coach but I still don't see why so many people are sure he will be successful wherever he goes. He has only been a head coach for four years so he never played with only his players (you may could argue this since he was OC before HC) and he got the school put on probation and received a show cause during his short tenure. He was a massive failure in the NFL but Saban was too so I guess that is not that telling.
I don't think Kelly would be very successful in the SEC but he probably would be more likely to be successful in the PAC 12.

Pollodawg
11-22-2017, 11:07 AM
If he chooses UCLA over Florida, it is becoming a trend that the sec is becoming back up plans.

Yup. The Saban effect. He destroyed the conference.

Pollodawg
11-22-2017, 11:09 AM
That’s the exact reason Jimbo ain’t coming here for TAMU. Harder to win at AM than FSU. Nobody wants his mule tied to the SEC tracks when the Crimson express comes roaring along.

msstate7
11-22-2017, 11:13 AM
I get that Kelly was very successful as a college head coach but I still don't see why so many people are sure he will be successful wherever he goes. He has only been a head coach for four years so he never played with only his players (you may could argue this since he was OC before HC) and he got the school put on probation and received a show cause during his short tenure. He was a massive failure in the NFL but Saban was too so I guess that is not that telling.
I don't think Kelly would be very successful in the SEC but he probably would be more likely to be successful in the PAC 12.

26-21 at philly with playoff appearance. SF was horrible

LC Dawg
11-22-2017, 11:16 AM

Ok, so he was a better coach than Saban in the NFL. Ha!

Really Clark?
11-22-2017, 11:22 AM

Playoff appearance in his first year. The trend on his teams in the NFL was downward and with more control he got the worse he did on the field. Now that doesn't mean he won't be great in college but there is concern. Especially since the was basically handed the keys at Oregon, he didn't build up to that point. He did do a great job keeping it headed in the right direction and add to it but then again you have the show cause that shows you how he added to what Oregon was doing.

Reason2succeed
11-22-2017, 11:25 AM
Florida will set the salary that UCLA will have to pay.

Johnson85
11-22-2017, 11:26 AM

I doubt it's about the job as much as it is about what part of the country he wants to live in. UCLA doesn't have the advantages for recruiting that FLorida has, but he also doesn't have to play LSU, UGA, Miami, and FSU every year plus another SECW team that could be Bama, Auburn, A&M, or us. And he won at Oregon. I know they have Phil Knight and Nike behind them, but does that really make Oregon any easier to win at than UCLA?

Seems like the jobs are close enough that which city he wants to live in would play a major role.

msstate7
11-22-2017, 11:28 AM
Playoff appearance in his first year. The trend on his teams in the NFL was downward and with more control he got the worse he did on the field. Now that doesn't mean he won't be great in college but there is concern. Especially since the was basically handed the keys at Oregon, he didn't build up to that point. He did do a great job keeping it headed in the right direction and add to it but then again you have the show cause that shows you how he added to what Oregon was doing.

Same record in year 2 as year 1. Maybe he sucked as an NFL GM/HC, but I think he is a good HC on either level

Leroy Jenkins
11-22-2017, 11:32 AM
As a general rule, fat people lack the discipline to be hyper-successful.

was21
11-22-2017, 11:32 AM
UCLA is known for being on the low side with the dollar in the overall perspective of paying coaches at that level

Really Clark?
11-22-2017, 11:42 AM
Same record in year 2 as year 1. Maybe he sucked as an NFL GM/HC, but I think he is a good HC on either level

And fired in year 3 at 6-9 and they didn't let him finish the year. After those 2 10-6 years they didn't even let him finish the year it got so bad. Red Flag. I think he is a very good OC and MAY be a good head coach but we have 3 years at the college level that he did really well at program that was clicking on all cylinders anyway even before he was OC. To get to the next level he cheated, got a show cause and bolted for the NFL. At best after his first two years he couldn't finish out the season the next 2 years he sucked so bad and was very hard for either team to work with. To me this has boom or bust all over it and with the extra baggage, not just the show cause but his relationship with GM and owners, just some major red flags to me.

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-22-2017, 11:47 AM
Let me ask this...and forgive me for my stupidity. It has been suggested that Willie Taggert would eventually come back to the south. If Fla. or one of the other SEC schools went after Taggert, would Kelly be back in play for Oregon? I don't know if he left there on good terms or not, that's why I'm asking.

Liverpooldawg
11-22-2017, 11:49 AM
Would you say it was easier to win the Pac 12 or the SEC? And would a path to the a NC be easier in Pac 12 or SEC?

It would be easier at Florida than at UCLA. UCLA isn't top Pac 12 job.

Commercecomet24
11-22-2017, 11:52 AM
I lived in Westwood for awhile. UCLA fans are kinda lukewarm on football, basketball is their thing. USC is the football school in Los Angeles.

msstate7
11-22-2017, 11:53 AM
And fired in year 3 at 6-9 and they didn't let him finish the year. After those 2 10-6 years they didn't even let him finish the year it got so bad. Red Flag. I think he is a very good OC and MAY be a good head coach but we have 3 years at the college level that he did really well at program that was clicking on all cylinders anyway even before he was OC. To get to the next level he cheated, got a show cause and bolted for the NFL which at best after his first two years he couldn't finish out the season the next 2 years he sucked so bad and was very hard for either team to work with. To me this has boom or bust all over it and with the extra baggage, not just the show cause but his relationship with GM and owners, just some major red flags to me.

3 losses by a combined 6 points and another loss in OT. The difference in winning and losing in the nfl is razor thin. I do not think the year is near as bad as you, but oh well

Leroy Jenkins
11-22-2017, 11:56 AM
I lived in Westwood for awhile. UCLA fans are kinda lukewarm on football, basketball is their thing. USC is the football school in Los Angeles.

Winning changes a lot.

Liverpooldawg
11-22-2017, 12:07 PM
Winning changes a lot.

You are assuming Kelly would win at UCLA, that's a BIG assumption. I don't think anyone wins at UCLA consistently. The gap in their own town is just to great.

Commercecomet24
11-22-2017, 12:09 PM
You are assuming Kelly would win at UCLA, that's a BIG assumption. I don't think anyone wins at UCLA consistently. The gap in their own town is just to great.

Yeah that's where I was going with my post above.

Really Clark?
11-22-2017, 12:11 PM
3 losses by a combined 6 points and another loss in OT. The difference in winning and losing in the nfl is razor thin. I do not think the year is near as bad as you, but oh well

And 95% of the coaches would not have been fired over just that. The behind the scenes issues and trend with the team were and are a concern

Leroy Jenkins
11-22-2017, 12:13 PM

Probably the same take everyone had on MSU before we went to #1.

msstate7
11-22-2017, 12:26 PM
And 95% of the coaches would not have been fired over just that. The behind the scenes issues and trend with the team were and are a concern

Ok, the line is drawn... you do not like kelly and I do. What we betting for next season? I say he wins at least 8 at UCLA or Florida, which is a big improvement. Sig bet? Lol

Liverpooldawg
11-22-2017, 12:43 PM
Probably the same take everyone had on MSU before we went to #1.

Except it is FACT out there. It's no take.

Cooterpoot
11-22-2017, 12:47 PM
Kelly is a weird fat dude. No telling what he'll do.

1bigdawg
11-22-2017, 01:03 PM
It doesn't matter if WE like Kelly or not; he will land at either Florida or UCLA.

If it were me, I would coach UCLA before getting into the toxic environment in Gainesville.

Cooterpoot
11-22-2017, 01:05 PM
TN is so screwed. If Kelly takes the FL job, he'll own them. If he doesn't, FL takes their likely best candidate.

anubus
11-22-2017, 01:08 PM
Living in Florida during the mid 80s ,the gators were a mediocre overhyped program that found itself in the ncaa doghouse......sound familiar?

RougeDawg
11-22-2017, 01:18 PM
Yup. The Saban effect. He destroyed the conference.

Delusional fans who believe they are better than they really are, has destroyed the conference. Rational thought and commons sense are not all that common anymore. We live in an ?instant grits?, ?reset the game?, what have you done for me lately society.

It?s actually quite interesting to watch society from a distance and wonder how far the pendulum will swing before it comes back to rationale.

Really Clark?
11-22-2017, 01:35 PM
Ok, the line is drawn... you do not like kelly and I do. What we betting for next season? I say he wins at least 8 at UCLA or Florida, which is a big improvement. Sig bet? Lol

Ha. I don't dislike him, think he is a very good OC and smart with plays, but just not sold that he is a homerun hire to run a program. 8 wins is the floor he can be at those schools and the jury would still be out.

RougeDawg
11-22-2017, 04:21 PM
Twitter say Kelly turned down an offer from Tennessee. The Vols better just assume their position as 2nd or 3rd tier in the SEC. They are no longer attractive.