PDA

View Full Version : CFP # 14 - New Year's 6 possible?

1bigdawg
11-21-2017, 07:34 PM
We are now 14th in the CFP ranking and as a practical matter have to be 11th or higher to get into a NY6 Bowl. Looking at the standings, it is possible. Washington State and USC will knock one of themselves off. If Oklahoma beats TCU in the B12 title game, they will probably drop below us. Then we would need either Michigan or Wisconsin to beat Ohio State.

Of course, I am getting ahead of myself. We have to take care of business on Thursday first.

bostondawg
11-21-2017, 07:38 PM
Unfortunately, NY6 games are not only determined by rankings--there are conference tie-ins as well. Assuming Bama goes to CFP, it's hard to imagine 3 SEC teams getting NY6 bowl bids. Most likely scenario is that maybe we end up at 11, but Auburn and Georgia get NY6 invites and we go to citrus.

ETA: I don't think that's officially against the rules or anything, it's just unprecedented. Bowl games are not auto-invites by rankings.

1bigdawg
11-21-2017, 07:48 PM
There are some tie-ins, but I am pretty sure the NY6 goes by rankings after the tie-ins. The Orange has an ACC tie in. But I think if, big IF, we get in the top 11, we will make it.

Quaoarsking
11-21-2017, 07:51 PM
There are some tie-ins, but I am pretty sure the NY6 goes by rankings after the tie-ins. The Orange has an ACC tie in. But I think if, big IF, we get in the top 11, we will make it.

Yes, UCF may finish outside the top 12, but no other autobids (Power 5 champions and the ACC vs. Big 10/SEC/ND Orange Bowl matchup) will be from outside it, so if we're #11, we're definitely in whether the bowls like it or not.

The only scenario where we wouldn't be in at #11 is if both Miami and Clemson make the playoff somehow and the Orange has to take an ACC team from outside the top 12. But that's not very likely.

curmudgeon
11-21-2017, 07:52 PM
Unfortunately, NY6 games are not only determined by rankings--there are conference tie-ins as well. Assuming Bama goes to CFP, it's hard to imagine 3 SEC teams getting NY6 bowl bids. Most likely scenario is that maybe we end up at 11, but Auburn and Georgia get NY6 invites and we go to citrus.

ETA: I don't think that's officially against the rules or anything, it's just unprecedented. Bowl games are not auto-invites by rankings.

All about the rankings. Four big ten teams were in the NY6 last year.

starkvegasdawg
11-21-2017, 07:55 PM
I bet the douchebags at UCF are melting down.

Quaoarsking
11-21-2017, 07:59 PM
I bet the douchebags at UCF are melting down.

I'm sure they are, but they shouldn't. They're safely in the NY6 with 2 more wins regardless of their ranking, and there's no possibility of making the playoff no matter how much chaos reigns, so their ranking is literally irrelevant.

Jack Lambert
11-21-2017, 08:00 PM
Is SC worthy or is the committee helping build up Clemson resume?

BulldogBear
11-21-2017, 08:04 PM
WSU losing is a wash. 10-2 UW would simply jump ahead of us. Auburn losing will not drop below us. And they shouldn't frankly. They beat us by 39. TCU losing only gains us one spot. Ohio State losing may not drop below us. Frankly we need chaos immediately above us. We need WSU, Ohio State, Penn State, TCU, and Notre Dame to ALL lose. Then maybe just maybe we hit #11 when the dust clears.

BulldogBear
11-21-2017, 08:07 PM
I'm sure they are, but they shouldn't. They're safely in the NY6 with 2 more wins regardless of their ranking, and there's no possibility of making the playoff no matter how much chaos reigns, so their ranking is literally irrelevant.

The only way a G5 is ever going to be even considered for a CFP spot is go undefeated, beat a P5 school with a record of at least 9-3, and be pretty convincing in their other wins. Not a bunch of 10 point wins over a bunch of nobodies.

curmudgeon
11-21-2017, 08:13 PM
Let me add that it would need to be a 2nd or even 3rd year of going undefeated and making NY6 bowl games. Boise State had a little run that would have gotten them some major consideration- but it took three years.

BayouDawg
11-21-2017, 10:21 PM
If Georgia tech were to beat UGA then UGA goes on to lose in the SECCG they could potentially fall below us in the rankings. It?s not likely but crazier things have happened in rivalry games

Liverpooldawg
11-21-2017, 10:25 PM
If Georgia tech were to beat UGA then UGA goes on to lose in the SECCG they could potentially fall below us in the rankings. It?s not likely but crazier things have happened in rivalry games

They shouldn't, they beat the hell out of us.

msstate7
11-21-2017, 10:38 PM

Georgia is favored by less vs GT than us vs OM

Quaoarsking
11-21-2017, 10:39 PM

They might in the AP Poll because many of those "voters" are lazy and don't care, but there's a virtually 0% chance that the Playoff Committee would drop a 10-3 team (that only got loss #3 because it played in a CCG) down below a 9-3 that it beat by 4 touchdowns.

msstate7
11-21-2017, 10:42 PM
They might in the AP Poll because many of those "voters" are lazy and don't care, but there's a virtually 0% chance that the Playoff Committee would drop a 10-3 team (that only got loss #3 because it played in a CCG) down below a 9-3 that it beat by 4 touchdowns.

I do not see it either, but that would be 3 losses out of 4 games for Georgia. If they were blasted pretty good in the sec championship game, they could fall pretty hard

bostondawg
11-21-2017, 10:45 PM
All about the rankings. Four big ten teams were in the NY6 last year.

I stand corrected. Just looked it up. Thanks for looking out.

bostondawg
11-21-2017, 10:47 PM
And yep, UCF fans are being fragile snowflakes on the twitters. Which is ridiculous considering the point someone made above: the NY6 welfare system for G5 schools will ensure that UCF gets in. It's a waste of breath to care about their ranking.

Spiderman
11-21-2017, 10:49 PM
My hope is to make a NY 6 just so we can play CFU.

bostondawg
11-21-2017, 11:12 PM
So because of the semifinals being Rose and Sugar this year, it's the best case scenario for one conference to sneak in 4 teams to the NY6. Only tie-ins this year will be ACC to Orange bowl and UCF as the G5 team. The winner of Clemson-Miami will likely go to CFP and loser likely to Orange. Neither of those probably affect us, because the loser won't drop below us. Assuming UCF will always be behind us anyway, that means, simply put, we just need to finish in the top 11 to go to a NY6 bowl. There will have to be some major upsets.

Todd4State
11-22-2017, 01:08 AM
And yep, UCF fans are being fragile snowflakes on the twitters. Which is ridiculous considering the point someone made above: the NY6 welfare system for G5 schools will ensure that UCF gets in. It's a waste of breath to care about their ranking.

They were pretty lousy at the Liberty Bowl in 2007 as well. It would be interesting if Memphis were to beat them in the American Confrence Championship Game which is what I want to happen.

Commercecomet24
11-22-2017, 01:11 AM
They were pretty lousy at the Liberty Bowl in 2007 as well. It would be interesting if Memphis were to beat them in the American Confrence Championship Game which is what I want to happen.

Memphis beating ucf is a distinct possibility. That Memphis team ain?t no pushover.

BulldogBear
11-22-2017, 01:41 AM
Memphis beating ucf is a distinct possibility. That Memphis team ain?t no pushover.

Except they lost to UCF 40-13 during regular season.So they have their work cut out for them.

Commercecomet24
11-22-2017, 01:43 AM
Except they lost to UCF 40-13 during regular season.So they have their work cut out for them.

Oh I know that but it?s always hard to beat someone twice in a season. And Memphis is playing extremely well(ucf too) but I think Memphis has a legit shot.