PDA

View Full Version : OT - Net Neutrality

Lord McBuckethead
11-21-2017, 05:44 PM
Just to prove a point, why doesn't Netflix, Hulu, YouTube, ESPN, CW, Fox, etc just temporarily slow down their own speeds on accessing information. I believe once people realize the possibility that Internet Service Provider companies will have the ability to control how quickly you access the information you want on the web based on their own purposes, it may be too late.

Net Neutrality will lead to increased cost, slower service, and companies controlling accessibility to information. They already have regional monopolies on access because they have agreements in place based on them fronting the money to install the access points and launching satellites.

Imagine if the power company could control how quickly you get electricity based on what you used said electricity on.
Imagine if the water company could influence your usage by sometimes limiting the amount of water you could receive.

Classic example is CSprire has fiber in Starkville. Imagine if CSpire owns or has a financial stake in Hulu. Wouldn't it benefit them to slow Netflix down. Netflix loses customers. Netflix no longer can afford the best content. Netflix loses more customers. We miss The Punisher Season 2.

Att companies could or will slow or block CBS streaming and Fox
Comcast will launch their own skin to work over Netflix and Hulu with their own advertisements. Netflix and Hulu both could be controlled otherwise. Comcast will charge a premium to allow these services to run without it.

They would no longer have to equalize all priorities. they will be able to set them to whatever they like.

Hulu streaming a football game. ATT slows down their services because Directv needs you to watch their version.

On and On and On.

If I were comcast, I would start my attack today. Price it up due to the new power you have.

Not to mention Adult Entertainment - well CSpire could be against that. Back to the stone age to everyone in Mississippi. How long before legislators work out funding deals with CSpire or others if they agree to slow down some types of information?

It will all soon be on the table fellas. UM may convince CSprire or MaxSouth to throttle elitedawgs down? There are no other alternatives because of the regional monopolies.

Everyone may need to call their congress representatives.

DawgNamedScuba
11-21-2017, 05:59 PM
I work in IT. This would help some people understand but not all.

RougeDawg
11-21-2017, 06:08 PM
The net neutrality will eventually lead to bandwidth throttling of websites they don?t want people to view, make up some reason, and circumvents the 1st amendment of free speech. The easiest way to circumvent the 1sr amendment was to relinquish US control of internet. Then is doesn?t fall under constitutional coverage. Go research the reasons Obama and his minions wanted it in the first place.

If I?m not mistaken, didn?t the FCC recently rescind the Obama era net neutrality stuff? Obama essentially used the FCC to circumvent Congress and hand over our control of the Internet. This was just one of hundreds of instances of the great ?Constitutional Professor?s? circumvention of the constitution.

I?ll save the other items Obama signed in conjunction with UN and EU regulations, that only needed one more Dem term to take control of Supreme Court and implement. But I digress. Why would anyone believe me on these numerous circumvention of our constitution? most of the country still refuses to believe obama himself when he literally wrote about his feelings for America and his intentions to being America back down with the rest of the world in ?Dreams From My Father?? His actions for 8 years confirm his intentions in his book, and last time I checked this book wasn?t on the fiction section.

I?m not a Trump fan but the best thing about him being elected is the truth on Obama will not be covered up. The mainstream media won?t report it but the house of cards will fall in due time.

PassInterference
11-21-2017, 06:10 PM
Kind of like how DirecTV hasn?t carried Jackson?s Fox channel is months. Imagine that happening between your internet provider and Netflix, ESPN, etc. They could block them or slow them.

bluelightstar
11-21-2017, 06:15 PM
The net neutrality will eventually lead to bandwidth throttling of websites they don?t want people to view, make up some reason, and circumvents the 1st amendment of free speech. The easiest way to circumvent the 1sr amendment was to relinquish US control of internet. Then is doesn?t fall under constitutional coverage. Go research the reasons Obama and his minions wanted it in the first place.

If I?m not mistaken, didn?t the FCC recently rescind the Obama era net neutrality stuff? Obama essentially used the FCC to circumvent Congress and hand over our control of the Internet. This was just one of hundreds of instances of the great ?Constitutional Professor?s? circumvention of the constitution.

I?ll save the other items Obama signed in conjunction with UN and EU regulations, that only needed one more Dem term to take control of Supreme Court and implement. But I digress. Why would anyone believe me on these numerous circumvention of our constitution? most of the country still refuses to believe obama himself when he literally wrote about his feelings for America and his intentions to being America back down with the rest of the world in ?Dreams From My Father?? His actions for 8 years confirm his intentions in his book, and last time I checked this book wasn?t on the fiction section.

I?m not a Trump fan but the best thing about him being elected is the truth on Obama will not be covered up. The mainstream media won?t report it but the house of cards will fall in due time.

I have always found it amazing that people really think U.S. presidents don't care about America. Whatever happened to disagreeing with someone's policies without thinking that their difference of opinion means that they're evil or have some nefarious motive? That's part of the problem these days imo.

defiantdog
11-21-2017, 06:39 PM
I feel net neutrality goes in front of congress as much as gun laws. Either way, they?re gonna get what they want and eventually force us to pay for free goods.

RougeDawg
11-21-2017, 06:43 PM
I have always found it amazing that people really think U.S. presidents don't care about America. Whatever happened to disagreeing with someone's policies without thinking that their difference of opinion means that they're evil or have some nefarious motive? That's part of the problem these days imo.

Have you read Dreams From My Father and Obama?s view of America that he obtained from his anti American Father? That?s the easiest takeaway from the entire thing. There is a reason the book uses ?MY? instead of ?OF?. Elder Obama hated America, UK, and other nations he deemed as being responsible for ?colonialism?. Colonialism in which he viewed as being ruled by foreign nations. His views were that colonial nations pillaged, plundered and stole from the people they colonized. He believed that all of these nations deserved to be taken down and to repay their treasures back to these nations. Elder Obama believed the United States gained success from ill gotten and nefarious means, and were not legitimate. Current obama speaks of incorporating these anti colonial views into his own thinking.

Shall I continue, or will you read the remainder of the book? PM me your address and I?ll lend you my copy. I?ll steer clear of Obama?s college writings of anti American sentiment. There is google for that.

What I find so interesting is most Americans will believe some stranger on a park bench when they express their political Views, but refuse to believe someone who writes about their beliefs on their own damn book. Just further proof that Poole believe that which they want to believe and refuse to acknowledge that which refutes what they were indoctrinated to think or believe. .

Dawg61
11-21-2017, 06:49 PM
I feel net neutrality goes in front of congress as much as gun laws. Either way, they?re gonna get what they want and eventually force us to pay for free goods.

Hope not or it'll be bad. Gun laws haven't passed since 1791 either.

thf24
11-21-2017, 06:50 PM

The fact that the FCC is actively ignoring 22 million comments supporting net neutrality says it all. Government is ultimately going to do what it wants, will of the people be damned.

BeardoMSU
11-21-2017, 06:51 PM
Have you read Dreams From My Father and Obama?s view of America that he obtained from his anti American Father? That?s the easiest takeaway from the entire thing. There is a reason the book uses ?MY? instead of ?OF?. Elder Obama hated America, UK, and other nations he deemed as being responsible for ?colonialism?. Colonialism in which he viewed as being ruled by foreign nations. His views were that colonial nations pillaged, plundered and stole from the people they colonized. He believed that all of these nations deserved to be taken down and to repay their treasures back to these nations. Elder Obama believed the United States gained success from ill gotten and nefarious means, and were not legitimate. Current obama speaks of incorporating these anti colonial views into his own thinking.

Shall I continue, or will you read the remainder of the book? PM me your address and I?ll lend you my copy. I?ll steer clear of Obama?s college writings of anti American sentiment. There is google for that.

What I find so interesting is most Americans will believe some stranger on a park bench when they express their political Views, but refuse to believe someone who writes about their beliefs on their own damn book. Just further proof that Poole believe that which they want to believe and refuse to acknowledge that which refutes what they were indoctrinated to think or believe. .

Good job tearing this thread a new one, sport.**

Have fun continuing this very intriguing convo on the political board.

sleepy dawg
11-21-2017, 07:17 PM
Edit out the my side vs. your side political comments (from the quote too) so we can keep this awareness going longer before its locked. Both of you... please and hurry.

BeardoMSU
11-21-2017, 07:21 PM
Edit out the my side vs. your side political comments (from the quote too) so we can keep this awareness going longer before its locked. Both of you... please and hurry.

No shit. Show some ****ing restraint. There are plenty of adults in the room, conservative and liberal alike, who don't feel the need to go to DEFCON 1 with the mere mention of something remotely political. Learn to share the ball.

Cooterpoot
11-21-2017, 07:29 PM

Because our government doesn't care about us. It's about them taking care of themselves and whoever gives them the most money. And it doesn't matter which party.

dawgs
11-21-2017, 07:33 PM

Without addressing your Alex jones sponsored drivel on Obama, net neutrality basically means the internet providers can’t pick and choose the websites that users have faster access to. Relinquishing “US control of the internet” means nothing, the govt isn’t controlling the internet, they are governing internet providers to make sure anyone with an internet connection has equal access to any and all websites. For instance, Comcast might allow for high speed access to all NBS related sites (news, sports, etc), while prohibitively throttling access to other news and sports sites unless you pay a premium to open open up your bandwidth to those sites. Do you not think that’s a problem? What about if your local internet provider is owned by an ole miss alum and they decide to throttle the bandwidth to state’s websites and message boards, while leaving open access to ole miss’s sites and boards? Follow the money. There is simply nothing beneficial to the average consumer to get rid of net neutrality.

BulldogDX55
11-21-2017, 07:38 PM
With this thread, I've learned that the only argument against net neutrality was to give TeleComs more freedom to innovate (new ways to screw us).

Nope, still gonna side with free and open internet that cannot be censored or throttled by private entities.

I don?t want my selection from my internet provider to look like this:

https://i.imgur.com/ux1m7Q7_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

That?s what it looks like in Portugal right now where they got rid of Net Neutrality. Does anyone here want that?

Quaoarsking
11-21-2017, 07:41 PM
The net neutrality will eventually lead to bandwidth throttling of websites they don?t want people to view, make up some reason, and circumvents the 1st amendment of free speech.
I think you meant that a lack of net neutrality will lead to bandwidth throttling of websites?

BulldogDX55
11-21-2017, 07:45 PM
I think you meant that a lack of net neutrality will lead to bandwidth throttling of websites?

Yeah, he seems to think that Net Neutrality is literally the opposite of what it actually his.

dawgs
11-21-2017, 08:10 PM
Yeah, RougeDawg seems to really be missing the boat on what net neutrality actually is. It’s ok to agree with Obama on a some things, and net neutrality is one we should all agree on, whether you’re an anarchist or a libertarian or a standard democrat or a standard republican.

Dawg61
11-21-2017, 08:14 PM
Why they gotta find new ways to make this country more and more shitty everyday

dawgs
11-21-2017, 08:16 PM
I hope none of y’all are small business owners with a web presence unless you are ready to start paying Comcast and Verizon and every other provider to ensure fast access to your business page.

BulldogDX55
11-21-2017, 08:26 PM
I hope none of y?all are small business owners with a web presence unless you are ready to start paying Comcast and Verizon and every other provider to ensure fast access to your business page.

Seriously. This is giving more power to companies that have even lower approval ratings than congress. Think about that for a minute.

This is one of the few truly bipartisan issues out there.

thedawginme
11-21-2017, 08:59 PM

I'll send you $25 if you can post a picture of you holding this book with this post in the background on your computer tonight. (i don't know how much the book actually costs)

BoomBoom
11-21-2017, 09:50 PM

yeah, you clearly independently read that book and formed this independent opinion, and clearly didn't just get spoon fed it from a propaganda site.**

newsflash to the moron: Obama is out of office. he spent 8 years in office, and his actions while in office did nothing of the sort you allude to. i find it amazing that his actual actions while in office show no weight to your views, while some half-baked analysis of his absent father carries complete weight. as to your last sentence, you are completely correct for once. it has everything to do with what YOU have been indoctrinated to believe and that which you refuse to acknowledge.

BulldogDX55
11-21-2017, 10:05 PM
Just ignore Rouge when it comes to anything political. He cannot hold a conversation like an adult.

Stay on target so this topic so it won?t get locked. We need Net Neutrality to still be a thing. It?s a shame that some appointed asshole in Big TeleComs pocket get to make the decision almost all by himself to turn over the ability to decide who gets access to what information to the TeleComs. Not even 22 million people commenting on their site seemed to be enough to convince them, and most politicians are too old and out of the loop to understand what?s going on here. Please see the picture I posted on page one for a glimpse into the future.

ckDOG
11-21-2017, 10:36 PM
I think many* conservatives are about to realize that blanket deregulation has drawbacks. Internet has to be treated as a utility. Too few people control the infrastructure that the masses depend on. It needs control to protect the general public. If it were a novelty or luxury good, I wouldn't care. Internet is the backbone of commerce now and is easily exploited. Please don't let this happen. It benefits so few.

*not all

Lord McBuckethead
11-22-2017, 12:01 AM
I am going to argue against the agreeing with whichever politician.....this is about the internet. ISP do not deserve the option to throttle any information. They are a flipping utility. Period.

Dawg61
11-22-2017, 06:23 AM
This is Comcast trying to make up all the money they've lost since people have cut the cord and they want to make Netflix, Amazon, Youtube too slow or expensive to use so people are forced to stick with Comcast. This company needs to stop existing. They are as evil as we've seen in the last thirty years.

TUSK
11-22-2017, 06:35 AM
This is Comcast trying to make up all the money they've lost since people have cut the cord and they want to make Netflix, Amazon, Youtube too slow or expensive to use so people are forced to stick with Comcast. This company needs to stop existing. They are as evil as we've seen in the last thirty years.

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/06/e5/a4/06e5a4644a098867c9723aa9494b12aa--funniest-pictures-pictures-of.jpg

BulldogDX55
11-22-2017, 09:20 AM
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/06/e5/a4/06e5a4644a098867c9723aa9494b12aa--funniest-pictures-pictures-of.jpg

This South Park reference, but in a full body S&M bodysuit is the future. If the people who own the wires that connect us to the internet get to regulate it's content, the potential for malfeasance is unlimited. Also, as ckDog said above, I really do hope this teaches conservatives about deregulating for the purpose of deregulating. We don't want regulations just to stick it to the wealthy- we generally want them to protect the consumer.

dawgs
11-22-2017, 10:41 AM
This South Park reference, but in a full body S&M bodysuit is the future. If the people who own the wires that connect us to the internet get to regulate it's content, the potential for malfeasance is unlimited. Also, as ckDog said above, I really do hope this teaches conservatives about deregulating for the purpose of deregulating. We don't want regulations just to stick it to the wealthy- we generally want them to protect the consumer.

Yeah, blind deregulation is just as dumb as arguing a doctor and a janitor should take home the same amount of $$ in some egalitarian utopia.

BulldogDX55
11-22-2017, 11:20 AM
Yeah, blind deregulation is just as dumb as arguing a doctor and a janitor should take home the same amount of $$ in some egalitarian utopia.

Correct, and there are very few people out there who are in favor of an absolute egalitarian utopia.

BoomBoom
11-22-2017, 12:45 PM

and about 40% of the country is in favor of the former, while maybe 1% the latter. 'merica. this country will keep getting worse until we can get those back in proportion.

RougeDawg
11-22-2017, 01:46 PM
Good job tearing this thread a new one, sport.**

Have fun continuing this very intriguing convo on the political board.

My bad. I just have a difficult time with people who refuse to believe water is wet, if the water they are dealing with rips their entire life?s indoctrination to shreds. It’s the mentality of 99.99% of the bearshart fans.

As a society all we really have to do is turn off the television and read things. Books, writings, Kennedy Papers, Govt Releases, etc. I watch 5-6 hours of tv a week, including MSU and New Orleans sporting events. Other than that, it?s podcasts and reading. Neither side of the political spectrum is as pure as the driven snow. It?s all there if we just educate ourselves and stop getting caught up in what color dress Kim Kardashian poured champagne down this week and Who released the latest sex video. There is a reason they want us to focus on all of these unimportant things.

Quaoarsking
11-22-2017, 05:52 PM
My bad. I just have a difficult time with people who refuse to believe water is wet, if the water they are dealing with rips their entire life?s indoctrination to shreds. It’s the mentality of 99.99% of the bearshart fans.

As a society all we really have to do is turn off the television and read things. Books, writings, Kennedy Papers, Govt Releases, etc. I watch 5-6 hours of tv a week, including MSU and New Orleans sporting events. Other than that, it?s podcasts and reading. Neither side of the political spectrum is as pure as the driven snow. It?s all there if we just educate ourselves and stop getting caught up in what color dress Kim Kardashian poured champagne down this week and Who released the latest sex video. There is a reason they want us to focus on all of these unimportant things.

Well you should probably be reading a little more, considering how net neutrality literally means the opposite of what you appear to think it means.

dawgs
11-22-2017, 11:05 PM

But the internet is most people’s access to books, writings, Kennedy Papers, govt releases, etc., and if Comcast or Verizon or time warner can dictate the sources you get all that information from by charging a premium for certain outlets and not others, then you are getting a biased perspective without even having the opportunity to read opposing viewpoints.

sleepy dawg
11-23-2017, 02:47 PM
If you want to do something about the potential abolishment of net neutrality, start by telling the FCC. I'm going to make this simple for you. The more people that do this the better chance we have at protecting our freedoms.

Go here:
https://www.fcc.gov/ecfs/search/proceedings?q=name:((17-108))
Click "Express"

Fill out your information to submit to FCC. Your statement could be as simple as:
"I support net neutrality backed by Title II oversight of ISPs."

In case you don't know what "Title II" is, that is the what states that internet service providers are "common carriers", not "information providers". This is an important piece that prevents ISPs from deciding controlling everything you do on the internet.

Thanks to EliteDawgs mods for allowing this platform to continue, as this affects us all, whether you're a bulldog or a rebel, conservative, liberal, or anything in between. If you use the internet, you will be drastically affected in a negative way if net neutrality is abolished. Original thread here: http://www.elitedawgs.com/showthread.php?61648-OT-Net-Neutrality

BulldogDX55
11-23-2017, 03:27 PM
Some people still don?t get how dangerous this is. The only two arguments I?ve heard for killing Net Neutrality are:

1. All regulations bad!
2. Obama, so bad!
3. They won?t ruin everything if we give them the power, we promise!

Some people also do not seem to understand what it is. Let me make this really simple for you- do you support an internet where your ISP can decide what you have access to and at what speeds? Do you want to give ISPs the ability to censor content? Do you want an industry that has a monopoly or near monopoly on a service that, in 2017, really isn?t optional to be able to pick and choose what you can access?

If you answered no, which you likely did, then what?s about to happen is terrible and you should contact your representatives to stop it.

Maroon Wizardry
11-23-2017, 03:52 PM
There is a reason the first amendment is about speech. The ability to share knowledge is vastly more powerful than guns. take a look at some of the countries in Africa... plenty have guns but they don't have knowledge. The internet allows for the poor to escape poverty by learning. If you can't understand this then i'm going to pray for you and if you have produced offspring that they may understand the value of the ability to share knowledge globally.

Cloak
11-23-2017, 04:15 PM
Bump. Too important to let this get lost.

Doggie_Style
11-23-2017, 04:33 PM
Political threads don’t belong here....delete

BulldogDX55
11-23-2017, 04:39 PM
It literally affects this website and it?s a mostly bipartisan issue.

Doggie_Style
11-23-2017, 04:41 PM
It literally affects this website and it?s a mostly bipartisan issue.

This website was fine before it was enacted and will be fine afterwards....delete

TUSK
11-23-2017, 04:56 PM
I'd like a non-bias, by the numbers, so simple "a Marine could understand it" explanation of the 3 most prominent Pros & Cons of "net neutrality", please....

DudyDawg
11-23-2017, 05:05 PM
This website was fine before it was enacted and will be fine afterwards....delete

It?ll be fine when you?re paying $10 to get here.

Doggie_Style
11-23-2017, 05:08 PM
It?ll be fine when you?re paying $10 to get here.

Typical leftist scare tactic....delete

DudyDawg
11-23-2017, 05:17 PM
Typical leftist scare tactic....delete

I?d love to know how I?m a leftist.

vv83
11-23-2017, 05:36 PM

You?re a fool

dawgs
11-23-2017, 10:34 PM

You don’t know what you are talking about dude

Tbonewannabe
11-27-2017, 11:17 AM
I'd like a non-bias, by the numbers, so simple "a Marine could understand it" explanation of the 3 most prominent Pros & Cons of "net neutrality", please....

Basically Net Neutrality prevents companies from slowing down or preventing you from accessing information on the internet. It also prevents them from charging you to access anything similar to highways. Eliminating Net Neutrality would allow companies to put up "toll booths" for you to go to certain places or just not allow you to go there at all. That is what I understand anyway. If you like government and corporations controlling your information then you will love it.

TUSK
11-27-2017, 07:13 PM
Basically Net Neutrality prevents companies from slowing down or preventing you from accessing information on the internet. It also prevents them from charging you to access anything similar to highways. Eliminating Net Neutrality would allow companies to put up "toll booths" for you to go to certain places or just not allow you to go there at all. That is what I understand anyway. If you like government and corporations controlling your information then you will love it.

So, there is absolutely no positives for the end user re: NN?

I appreciate the simpleness of your explanation (it's what I asked for), but it seems a bit "binary"... I dunno...

Tbonewannabe
11-28-2017, 07:53 AM
So, there is absolutely no positives for the end user re: NN?

I appreciate the simpleness of your explanation (it's what I asked for), but it seems a bit "binary"... I dunno...

Probably gets things off the internet that shouldn't be there but the dark net is probably where most of that is anyway. I haven't seen much on the positives unless you are a corporation looking to make more money.

dawgs
12-14-2017, 01:45 PM
And so it begins. Hope ED ponies up to be accessible on the poors internet, don’t know if I’ll be willing to pay a premium to read y’all bitch about MSU sports.

BulldogDX55
12-14-2017, 04:27 PM
And so it begins. Hope ED ponies up to be accessible on the poors internet, don’t know if I’ll be willing to pay a premium to read y’all bitch about MSU sports.

Doesn't it suck that the one issue we can agree on is the one we can do the least about? I doubt we can buy as many congresscritters as the TeleComs can.