PDA

View Full Version : Basketball tonight

msstate7
11-20-2017, 03:38 PM
Any word on X?

Ready to see how ado follows up on impressive debut

MarketingBully
11-20-2017, 03:42 PM
We will probably sit Stapleton out this one but Eli Wright will play.

Dawg61
11-20-2017, 05:20 PM
Ready to see how ado follows up on impressive debut

Yea I wanna see if our guards are going to figure out all they have to do is drive to the basket which will pull the defender towards them and then dump it off to Ado or Holman for endless easy buckets.

MCsMGs
11-20-2017, 06:57 PM
I wanna see a relaxed and focused LP. He has looked very tense to me as if the hype has gotten to him. When he's relaxed, he elevates vertically and shoots with some arch on the ball. When he's tight, he falls back and shoots a Fitz-like bullet at the rim. He and Nick need to get to the rim early and often.

Dawg61
11-20-2017, 08:15 PM
State up 13-5. Ado has 7 points. This dude is a stud!

BulldogDX55
11-20-2017, 08:18 PM
Ado is absolutely imposing his will on the other team right now.

MCsMGs
11-20-2017, 08:20 PM
See that arch...those go in.

chef dixon
11-20-2017, 08:24 PM
I'm really impressed with just about everyone so far tonight. Our bigs are controlling the game.

Harrydawg
11-20-2017, 08:24 PM
We are playing extremely hard and it’s contagious.

Very impressed. Much to do about Ado for good reason!

He is an animal

Harrydawg
11-20-2017, 08:30 PM
Nice to see a big man with a sweet stroke from the line.

chef dixon
11-20-2017, 08:30 PM
Love Eli and Datcher

Dawg61
11-20-2017, 08:34 PM
We are 1-12 from 3. We gotta be shooting like 10% from 3 for the year.

WSOPdawg
11-20-2017, 08:35 PM
Love Eli and Datcher

Love Ado and Datcher... These two combined with Herard and we appear to have a much stronger post game than last year.

Dawg61
11-20-2017, 08:41 PM
Herard gets 3 fouls called on him every game just cause he's so damn big

Schultzy
11-20-2017, 08:42 PM
We goin dancin

chef dixon
11-20-2017, 08:43 PM

Its been horrendous. And they aren't bad looks.

MCsMGs
11-20-2017, 08:44 PM

This has got to be the biggest head scratcher for me so far...

chef dixon
11-20-2017, 08:47 PM
Has Herard ever caught a basketball before? jesus

Dawg61
11-20-2017, 08:51 PM
Feazell finally shows something. He's got hops.

Dawg61
11-20-2017, 08:53 PM
We have played like shit since Ado got his 2nd foul and went to the bench.

MarketingBully
11-20-2017, 08:57 PM
This shit has had everything to do with us chunking up 3s and them getting either a transition bucket or worse a transition three off the three point miss. If we don’t shoot a three in the second half, we will win this going away. They are getting open three pointers in transition from our three point shot misses. They have hit 3 of them for 9 points. That’s the difference in an 8 point halftime lead and a 17 point halftime lead. Please guys stop shooting freaking threes and drive the damn ball to the basket!

MarketingBully
11-20-2017, 08:59 PM
We have played like shit since Ado got his 2nd foul and went to the bench.

It’s not playing like shit. It’s called when a three point shot misses it bounces almost to halfcourt where Green Bay is getting it and turning it into points. We are doing really well in our halfcourt defense.

MarketingBully
11-20-2017, 09:01 PM
This has got to be the biggest head scratcher for me so far...

Me too. We are bricking the shit out of them too. These are shots that aren’t even close. It’s stupid because Peters, Q, and Carter have the potential to shoot 40%+ from there.

Red Sox Dawg
11-20-2017, 09:28 PM
Why can’t we hit a three? We aren’t that bad are we?

msstate7
11-20-2017, 09:29 PM
Guards are supposedly the strength, but the outside shooting is down right embarrassing. Step it up shooters

msstate7
11-20-2017, 09:34 PM
I am not feeling good about our team. We cannot stop having prolonged scoring droughts... it has been a problem since Ray was here.

Dawg61
11-20-2017, 09:35 PM
It's mental now for Carter. He just passed up a wide open look.

LC Dawg
11-20-2017, 09:35 PM
Have we shot in this gym before?

thf24
11-20-2017, 09:38 PM
This just defies reason at this point. I've never seen a whole team of guys who are proven shooters this cold over multiple games.

msstate7
11-20-2017, 09:39 PM
Very nice, herard

thf24
11-20-2017, 09:40 PM
Really nice move by Herard. He can be a big time player yet if he can just learn to catch the ball consistently.

Harrydawg
11-20-2017, 09:40 PM
If this team will learn to recognize that some nights the 3’s won’t fall.....we are athletic and long enough to drive and dish

Dawg61
11-20-2017, 09:42 PM
Just when I am about to post how much Herard frustrates me he makes a very nice move in the post.

msstate7
11-20-2017, 09:45 PM
Ado with a nice score. Front line is much improved.

thf24
11-20-2017, 09:55 PM
Of course one of the ugliest outside shots of the night is one of the only ones that goes in.

chef dixon
11-20-2017, 09:58 PM
Peters showing why he's an NBA prospect

parabrave
11-20-2017, 09:59 PM

3 for 23 with 2 mins remaining. Peters 1-7, Q 0-5. Gonna have to work on that. Ado kicking butt.

MCsMGs
I'm feeling pretty good about this team. I think this game is a classic case of playing down to the level of competition. GB has shot well and we have shot poorly, but we have executed pretty well. LP and Nick have gotten to the rim pretty consistently, Eli has played really well and the bigs have played well. Shots just haven't gone down...I'm looking forward to playing SFA Wednesday. That should give us a better feel for where we are.

Lord McBuckethead
First time I have seen Ado. I have to say, he seems to have something we have not had in a while since Rhodes or Roberts. He is going to be something if he stays hungry and works hard.

thf24
11-20-2017, 10:04 PM
Scoring 77 points despite being 3/23 from 3 means this team could be really good. Those open shots have to start falling though. Just a little troubling we've had two stone cold shooting games in a row.

MarketingBully
11-20-2017, 10:08 PM
I am not feeling good about our team. We cannot stop having prolonged scoring droughts... it has been a problem since Ray was here.

We will be fine if our guards do what Peters did and just drive it to the basket for a layup or a basket for Ado and Holman. Q has to do the same thing on these type of nights. Our inside game came through and we won by 9. Last year you couldn’t say that. I think we will be fine. The reason this game was so close was because of us taking so many outside shots and Green Bay would turn it into a transition layup or three. We will learn from this. The talent on this team is there. He’s starting the right five right now. We have had a 15-2 start and a 20-5 start with this starting five.

MarketingBully
11-20-2017, 10:09 PM
Q has got to start being more aggressive and driving the ball to the basket and getting to the free throw line. We need him to be the first team all sec player he is. No more games like this.

WSOPdawg
11-20-2017, 10:11 PM
Add X Stapleton back into the mix and this team is dangerous... Ado & Datcher cleaning up a lot in the post (biggest improvement on the team so far this year compared to last season imo); Peters, Q & Nick are more than solid and add Holman and Eli and we've really got 5 that should be able to knock down 35% of 3's combined (just an off-night behind the arc tonight); X's energy level and ability to jump out of the gym... i'm really liking this team and am excited for SEC play.

Dawg61
11-20-2017, 10:26 PM
Q has got to start being more aggressive and driving the ball to the basket and getting to the free throw line. We need him to be the first team all sec player he is. No more games like this.

Q is yet to be the player he was before the wrist injury. I really hope he can find it again. He was a special player up to that point. Seems lost in the shuffle now.

Dawgology
11-20-2017, 10:35 PM
Q is yet to be the player he was before the wrist injury. I really hope he can find it again. He was a special player up to that point. Seems lost in the shuffle now.

I’m afraid he won’t ever come back 100%. That type of injury ends a lot of careers completely. He’s tough as balls to be back out there...even at 75%.

MarketingBully
11-20-2017, 10:38 PM
I’m afraid he won’t ever come back 100%. That type of injury ends a lot of careers completely. He’s tough as balls to be back out there...even at 75%.

He’s at 100%. They completely repaired the wrist.

HoopsDawg
11-20-2017, 10:46 PM
He’s at 100%. They completely repaired the wrist.

The wrist is fine but he's dealing with tendinitis in his knee. I'm surprised he played tonight.

Harrydawg
11-20-2017, 10:49 PM
This was a decent team we handled on a night where we could not have shot worse.

I am excited to see the talented depth.......after being paper thin for years

chef dixon
11-20-2017, 10:51 PM

This is true. It may be repaired but he clearly hasn't been the same player since that injury happened. He's doesn't have the same smooth touch. You could tell by the way he came out the first couple games last year he was primed to have a huge year.

BayouDawg
11-20-2017, 10:56 PM
I really liked seeing us tough out a win on a night we couldn?t throw it in the ocean from 3 point range. Sometimes you?re gonna have off nights shooting. You can?t control that. You can control your defensive intensity, rebounding and free throw shooting. We were great in those 3 aspects.
I loved seeing this team busting their ass on defense despite having a bad shooting night. So many teams let poor shooting carry over to the defensive end as well. Giving great effort on defense really speaks volumes to this teams mentality.
Oh and we finally have a legit post threat.
I am excited for this season.

Irondawg
11-20-2017, 10:58 PM
This team unfortunately to just looks like a slightly better version of last year's team because of Ado. But other than Wright, name me a player that looks noticeably better than they were last year. Maybe Datcher too

BayouDawg
11-20-2017, 11:02 PM
Dude we scored damn near 80 points while shooting pathetic. Last years team loses this game by double digits. If you didn?t come away pleased with the effort tonight you don?t know basketball.
It takes mental toughness to keep up the defensive intensity when your shots aren?t falling.

HoopsDawg
11-20-2017, 11:04 PM
This is true. It may be repaired but he clearly hasn't been the same player since that injury happened. He's doesn't have the same smooth touch. You could tell by the way he came out the first couple games last year he was primed to have a huge year.

He didn't miss in warmups. Conditioning needs improvement. A lot of good looking shots just didn't go down tonight.

chef dixon
11-20-2017, 11:41 PM
He didn't miss in warmups. Conditioning needs improvement. A lot of good looking shots just didn't go down tonight.

I'm not talking about just shooting. If anything thats one thing he continued to do decently last year. He has gotten really loose with the ball driving to the basket and doesn't seem to have the same confidence finishing at the rim is more what I meant. I mean we are talking about a guy that posterized 3 different people in transition as a true freshman. He just seems to not be as crisp.

He played pretty well in the first game of this season. Hope he can keep that form. He is much improved on defense so far though, really clogging up the passing lanes.

Dawg61
11-20-2017, 11:45 PM
This team unfortunately to just looks like a slightly better version of last year's team because of Ado. But other than Wright, name me a player that looks noticeably better than they were last year. Maybe Datcher too

Ado is 1st Team All-SEC Fresh good. He makes this team much better than last year just by himself. Nick Spoon is miles better than IJ Ready defensively and is much better driving to the basket. That's two massive upgrades right there. Holman is much improved. Datcher is much improved. Peters is improved just by staying in the game and not fouling out all the time. The only players I haven't seen marked improvement from so far are Q, Carter and Herard. We are a much improved team already though. Especially on defense.

mstatefan91
11-21-2017, 12:04 AM
You guys are overreacting. If 3 or 4 of those 3's fall, that's an 18-20 point win.

MarketingBully
11-21-2017, 05:33 AM
You guys are overreacting. If 3 or 4 of those 3's fall, that's an 18-20 point win.

Yeah, agreed. Anytime they made a run we would answer with a run of our own. I love our starting five though. It’s easily a top half SEC starting five. It’s easy to see we have a ton of talent. If we can get through this SFA game with a win no matter what the score is, I’ll be happy.

thf24
11-21-2017, 08:41 AM
Q's wrist is 100% fine and he's the same player he's always been. Quit trying to pass judgement that he's wrecked based on a few early season games, during at least one of which he was playing through tendinitis in his knee.

msstate7
11-21-2017, 08:45 AM

Maybe so... if we did win by 20, that would be the same amount northern Illinois beat this team by.

MarketingBully
11-21-2017, 08:57 AM
Maybe so... if we did win by 20, that would be the same amount northern Illinois beat this team by.

Comparing what other teams beat a team by in basketball is dumb. There are a number of factors that can change game to game which can effect outcomes. The fact of the matter is we shot 3-23 from the 3 point line and still won by 9.

Dawg61
11-21-2017, 09:02 AM
Yea and Green Bay missed a ton of free throws. We didn't play great offensively last night at all. Gonna have to be a lot better tomorrow night to get a win vs SFA.

BayouDawg
11-21-2017, 09:09 AM
Over analyzing basketball games this early in the season is pointless.
Last night was a game last years team loses due to poor shooting. We made up for the poor shooting with good defense and attacking the rim.
Now SFA is a better team so we will need to be more efficient from the outside.

msstate7
11-21-2017, 09:11 AM
Comparing what other teams beat a team by in basketball is dumb. There are a number of factors that can change game to game which can effect outcomes. The fact of the matter is we shot 3-23 from the 3 point line and still won by 9.

Maybe so, but 3 point shooting has been poor all year. We have to shoot better.

The teams below us and above us are getting better. LSU stayed undefeated by beating Michigan last night. OM played Utah tough. Sexton leads the sec in scoring for bama. aTm beat ok state last night. Sec teams are playing quality teams and performing better than us vs garbage. It is still way early and I think we have serious potential, but yeah, I am not impressed so far

MarketingBully
11-21-2017, 09:15 AM
Yea and Green Bay missed a ton of free throws. We didn't play great offensively last night at all. Gonna have to be a lot better tomorrow night to get a win vs SFA.

They made 70% of their free throws. I wouldn’t call that a ton of misses. They made 3-4 transition threes which is why they were even in the game in the first place. They had a night like us at the three point line against Northern Illinois and cut their lead to 2 with 10 minutes to go in that game even with shooting it so poorly. Eventually our three point shooting will come back. Especially with the type of shots we took last night. I think we will be okay and will beat SFA though.

BayouDawg
11-21-2017, 09:20 AM
Would you guys rather have a team that can light it up from 3 and light up the scoreboard but completely goes to crap once the 3s quit falling ie. last years team? Or would you rather have a team that can find a way to win even when the 3s aren?t falling?
I feel like you guys don?t understand the game at all

MarketingBully
11-21-2017, 09:21 AM
Maybe so, but 3 point shooting has been poor all year. We have to shoot better.

The teams below us and above us are getting better. LSU stayed undefeated by beating Michigan last night. OM played Utah tough. Sexton leads the sec in scoring for bama. aTm beat ok state last night. Sec teams are playing quality teams and performing better than us vs garbage. It is still way early and I think we have serious potential, but yeah, I am not impressed so far

Your attitude with this team doesn’t surprise me. We aren’t even at full strength. LSU had a good win but they still aren’t that good. Utah isn’t a good team and Ole Miss should have beat them. I like the makeup of our team and I think our starting five is one of the better ones in the SEC. We actually have good quality depth this year and are 3-0. What more do you want at this stage?

MarketingBully
11-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Would you guys rather have a team that can light it up from 3 and light up the scoreboard but completely goes to crap once the 3s quit falling ie. last years team? Or would you rather have a team that can find a way to win even when the 3s aren?t falling?

Msstate7 doesn’t.

msstate7

I think you are giving our first 3 opponents way too much credit. All of them have been garbage.

thf24

The encouraging thing is that in the very recent past, not playing great offensively means we scored 50-60 points, where an ugly performance last night still translated to almost 80.

msstate7
11-21-2017, 09:24 AM
Msstate7 doesn?t.

You right. We are loaded. We haven?t been crap for like 23 years straight or something and we struggled vs a bad team last night, but sec look out... we winning the dang thing.

I am concerned bc our assist/TO ratio is not good, 3 point shooting is bad, we are not dominating on the boards vs bad teams, etc. Our stats are not good vs bad teams

BayouDawg
11-21-2017, 09:26 AM
I think you are giving our first 3 opponents way too much credit. All of them have been garbage.

And we lost to several garbage teams last year. If you can?t see the improvement with ball movement and defensive intensity I don?t know what you?re looking at.
We scored 80 with basically no outside threat last night. With that type of shooting performance we maybe break 60 in years past. I don?t know if this team can make post season or not but it?s clear we?ve improved.

msstate7
11-21-2017, 09:32 AM
And we lost to several garbage teams last year. If you can?t see the improvement with ball movement and defensive intensity I don?t know what you?re looking at.
We scored 80 with basically no outside threat last night. With that type of shooting performance we maybe break 60 in years past. I don?t know if this team can make post season or not but it?s clear we?ve improved.

I am not arguing we are not improved. I think we are. The problem is the sec as whole is vastly improved, and I don?t know if we are on par yet. I am critical bc I think this team can be dang good and I am not happy with simply beating terrible teams. It is time for us to start showing something imo

thf24
11-21-2017, 09:33 AM
We need to stop freaking out about the shooting. It's hard not to be concerned, but it's a statistical anomaly that isn't going to hold up. We have proven good shooters taking good shots, and they're going to start falling soon.

MarketingBully
11-21-2017, 09:34 AM
You right. We are loaded. We haven?t been crap for like 23 years straight or something and we struggled vs a bad team last night, but sec look out... we winning the dang thing.

Lol, okay drama king. We were 16-16 last year which stopped a skid of four straight losing seasons. 23 years was way over exaggerating. I also never said we would win the league this year. That’s way bit of an overstretch there. But we could go 22-9 for an NIT bid and be a bubble team for the tournament this year. That’s doable for a team as talented as us and a team that will improve throughout the year. The one thing that has been lacking this year is perimeter shooting but I think with the addition of Ado paired with Holman we will be an outstanding defensive team. Gone are the days where teams can get easy baskets driving to the bucket. I think that will keep us in a lot of games as we get our perimeter offensive issues fixed. The way we are playing defense is also another reason why Howland loves this team. His best teams were always outstanding defensively.

msstate7
11-21-2017, 09:37 AM
We need to stop freaking out about the shooting. It's hard not to be concerned, but it's a statistical anomaly that isn't going to hold up. We have proven good shooters taking good shots, and they're going to start falling soon.

I am more concerned with assist/to ratio and rebounding at the moment. With the teams we have played, these 2 stats should be way better. Shooting does not always go your way, but rebounding and taking care of the ball should happen

MarketingBully
11-21-2017, 09:39 AM
I am not arguing we are not improved. I think we are. The problem is the sec as whole is vastly improved, and I don?t know if we are on par yet. I am critical bc I think this team can be dang good and I am not happy with simply beating terrible teams. It is time for us to start showing something imo

You have four teams in Florida, Kentucky, Alabama, and A&M that are shoulders above everyone else and then you have 5-12 that you could literally put in any order. I still think LSU and South Carolina are 13 and 14 respectively in the league. We don’t start the SEC season until January. Let’s make judgements once January gets here.

Dawg61
11-21-2017, 09:54 AM
I am very happy with Ado and Nick Spoon. These two additions make us a lot better than last year's team. I am not happy with Howland's offensive "coaching" though. We can score literally at will vs these shit teams by just having our guards penetrate and dish it to Ado, Datcher or Holman as soon as the defense collapses on the guard and if they don't collapse it leaves a wide open layup for the guard yet this seems to get forgotten 30 seconds after we perform it every time. We seem to have no plan on offense and that is on Howland. We should be pounding these teams by 40 points. We aren't. I really like Howland and he is cleaning up in recruiting but he is far from perfect. Just like Dan Mullen is far from perfect and I critic the shit outta Mullen ever single week. Howland gets the same treatment. My biggest beef with Howland is he is too nice to his players. I want to see some tough love from him. I want him to be as hungry as we are to make the tourney and I am not seeing that from him right now. This shit OOC schedule isn't helping although it gets a little better starting tomorrow night. I want a little bit of Evil Howland to start showing up here. Beat the shit outta everybody. Make your players better every single game. Yell at somebody. ANYBODY! We aren't UCLA fans. You don't have to still be walking on eggshells with everyone. Be a dickhead. It's ok. We want you to be a dick at times. Not all the time but some of the time. Our athletic director was the biggest asshole ever with his players. Don't be that bad but be a little bad. PLEASE!!

BayouDawg
11-21-2017, 10:41 AM
I am very happy with Ado and Nick Spoon. These two additions make us a lot better than last year's team. I am not happy with Howland's offensive "coaching" though. We can score literally at will vs these shit teams by just having our guards penetrate and dish it to Ado, Datcher or Holman as soon as the defense collapses on the guard and if they don't collapse it leaves a wide open layup for the guard yet this seems to get forgotten 30 seconds after we perform it every time. We seem to have no plan on offense and that is on Howland. We should be pounding these teams by 40 points. We aren't. I really like Howland and he is cleaning up in recruiting but he is far from perfect. Just like Dan Mullen is far from perfect and I critic the shit outta Mullen ever single week. Howland gets the same treatment. My biggest beef with Howland is he is too nice to his players. I want to see some tough love from him. I want him to be as hungry as we are to make the tourney and I am not seeing that from him right now. This shit OOC schedule isn't helping although it gets a little better starting tomorrow night. I want a little bit of Evil Howland to start showing up here. Beat the shit outta everybody. Make your players better every single game. Yell at somebody. ANYBODY! We aren't UCLA fans. You don't have to still be walking on eggshells with everyone. Be a dickhead. It's ok. We want you to be a dick at times. Not all the time but some of the time. Our athletic director was the biggest asshole ever with his players. Don't be that bad but be a little bad. PLEASE!!

I 100% agree with you about the offens Howland has been running. I love Howland but his offensive gameplans have left a lot to be desired. The biggest thing to me is the lack of ball movement. I do see some improvement in this area so far though. We still have a ways to go.
I really have been impressed with the defensive improvement so far though.
The past couple of years we haven?t been able to stop Steven hawking on a dribble drive.