PDA

View Full Version : Why does State schedule the Battle of the Golden Egg for Thanksgiving?

Maroonthirteen
11-20-2017, 07:14 AM
I was thinking that we had not played on Thanksgiving since 2003. However we did play on Thanksgiving in 2013. Now again in 2017. Both 13 & 17 are MSU home games.

So why? Why are we playing on a major holiday when there is 100% chance we will
Play on TV if the game stayed scheduled for Saturday.

Bully13
11-20-2017, 07:20 AM
You don't think it will be on tv?

msbulldog
11-20-2017, 07:22 AM
ESPN scheduled it.

Bubb Rubb
11-20-2017, 07:41 AM
I'm glad it's on thanksgiving. I think that's a cool tradition if we can stick to it. Playing a game on short rest isn't a disadvantage because both teams are doing it.

Bully13
11-20-2017, 07:42 AM
It's actually good national exposure as well.

BrunswickDawg
11-20-2017, 07:45 AM
It's actually good national exposure as well.

It really is. Since I?m out of state, I?m always amazed how people say they watching us on Thanksgiving and bet it?s a great game to go to.

Quaoarsking
11-20-2017, 07:50 AM
We're the only college football game at all on Thursday. It really is great exposure.

Maroonthirteen
11-20-2017, 08:20 AM
You don't think it will be on tv?

No, I’m saying we will be on TV regardless if we play Thursday or Saturday. So why inconvenience the fans, staff and students?

The argument was always exposure back in the late 90s until 2003. I get it then. However now the game will be on TV (exposure) regardless of the day it is played. I agree Thursday night prime time is better than 11am SECTV or the duece. However, I wonder if the exposure really translates into any real benefits for the university. Also think about getting recruits on campus for the game. Maybe that isn’t a problem.... I don’t know. Just asking.

Pollodawg
11-20-2017, 08:21 AM
Old school EBs on Thanksgiving used to be epic.

Pollodawg
11-20-2017, 08:22 AM
Greater exposure on Thanksgiving because people will gather around the T.V. as a family, so they can hate one another in three hours or so.

LC Dawg
11-20-2017, 08:49 AM
No, I’m saying we will be on TV regardless if we play Thursday or Saturday. So why inconvenience the fans, staff and students?

The argument was always exposure back in the late 90s until 2003. I get it then. However now the game will be on TV (exposure) regardless of the day it is played. I agree Thursday night prime time is better than 11am SECTV or the duece. However, I wonder if the exposure really translates into any real benefits for the university. Also think about getting recruits on campus for the game. Maybe that isn’t a problem.... I don’t know. Just asking.

My sister in law works in admissions and she said after any big win our applications for admissions increase immediately so exposure does matter.
Also, a high school friend of mine graduated from Alcorn. She lives in DC and she and her 9th grade son attended the Alcorn game against us in 2013. Her son really enjoyed the atmosphere and told his mom during the game that this is where he wants to go to school. He's now a freshman at State.
The more positive exposure you can get the better it is for the school.

MeridianDog
11-20-2017, 08:54 AM
ESPN (basically) schedules our games. By playing Thanksgiving day, we get a "Premier Status" time slot on Thursday, they get a good game and people get something to watch, while they burp away their Turkey dinners.

Liverpooldawg
11-20-2017, 09:06 AM
It would be during a holiday for the students either way.

Lord McBuckethead
11-20-2017, 09:28 AM
Easier to get back to campus if it was Saturday instead of on Thanksgiving. We basically give up one of our recruiting days because of this. A game against our previous rival. A game that would have the better atmosphere played in the afternoon on Saturday.
The story above that talks about the mom from Alcorn has a less likely probability of repeating itself now that people would have to leave their families on the Holiday and go to the game.

I am against black friday sales ruining Thanksgiving as I am against this. It takes time away from Family unnecessarily.

Liverpooldawg
11-20-2017, 09:36 AM
I swear we could win the national Championship and some of us wouldd gripe about the game being on Monday.

Maroon Diapers
11-20-2017, 10:24 AM
Hell I love it. If the UM side of the family comes to the Thanksgiving tailgate, I will get to see their sad faces afterwards. But more than likely their asses will stay home home and I won?t have to see them at all, even better.

RougeDawg
11-20-2017, 10:32 AM
There is a search function on main page. These threads are gettin close to Mullen to wherever threads.

No decision is going to make everyone happy. Being one of the only games on during a holiday when most people will be gathered round the TV is very valuable to our program and brand. Especially when we beat the breaks off of the bearsharts. There will be 2 nfl games Thursday and maybe 2 college games. There have to be over 40-50 college games televised on any given Saturday.

Let?s not forget that this is one of the most bitter rivalries in college football. When Texas vs Texas A&M was our replacement game and then we got the Thursday back, that tells you how much value ESPN believes this game has.

sleepy dawg
11-20-2017, 10:38 AM
If there's one thing I'm thankful for this year, its that we'll be playing on Thanksgiving. I am very excited about the Thursday game. To me it makes it a special day.

Maroonthirteen
11-20-2017, 10:40 AM
I swear we could win the national Championship and some of us wouldd gripe about the game being on Monday.

I can understand if the thread has a negative vibe. I imagine if you polled he fans and students, the poll would split 50/50 for or against.

However my question is more of Why does MSU decide to schedule this game on this day? It is obvious that it is our decision to agree to it. Because we want the exposure. I just wondered if the university was receiving some extra cash from Espn or the university felt it was easier to keep staff on campus for Thursday rather than return them for Saturday after a few days off.

I know two families with Msu students. One kid is coming home tonight (doesn’t usually go to games anyway) One kid is coming home after the game.

BrunswickDawg
11-20-2017, 10:57 AM
I can understand if the thread has a negative vibe. I imagine if you polled he fans and students, the poll would split 50/50 for or against.

However my question is more of Why does MSU decide to schedule this game on this day? It is obvious that it is our decision to agree to it. Because we want the exposure. I just wondered if the university was receiving some extra cash from Espn or the university felt it was easier to keep staff on campus for Thursday rather than return them from Saturday after a few days off.

I know two families with Msu students. One kid is coming home tonight (doesn’t usually go to games anyway) One kid is coming home after the game.

I would assume there is extra cash - as I'm pretty sure there is a scheduling contract agreed to by all 3 to make it happen (next year in Oxford is on T-Giving too). I'm glad that we seem to be doing it as part of a rotation now and not a sure thing. We last did it 2013. 2 out of ever 6-7 years is good balance. My daughter is in the FMB and we are driving over Wednesday to see her and go to the game Thursday, but have to turn around Friday and leave early to get back home for HS Playoff football.

was21
11-20-2017, 10:59 AM
Thanksgiving afternoon 1:30 PM in Jackson

yjnkdawg
11-20-2017, 11:00 AM
Well for one thing it is a prime time game on ESPN, with good exposure and no other college football game being televised. When ESPN approaches you and wants to televise your game in prime time, then why do you turn them down? Some fans don't like it on Thanksgiving Day and others do. ESPN has their own scheduling . If MSU and OM refused this time slot, then guess what? It would probably be an 11 AM kick-off on Saturday, and possibly on the SEC Network. I agree with Liverpool, some people would gripe and complain if we played in the National Championship. But they could have scheduled it on Saturday night, right?

bluelightstar
11-20-2017, 11:03 AM
Selfishly, it's basically a home game I can't attend because we have to do Thanksgiving 3 states away. With grandparents/etc getting older, tough to justify missing them all on Thanksgiving for a ballgame.

LC Dawg
11-20-2017, 11:20 AM
I find it funny that people complain about the game being on Thanksgiving because it screws with their valuable family time but if the game is on Saturday and Coach Mullen lets the players go spend a few hours with their families on Thanksgiving all hell breaks loose.

Apoplectic
11-20-2017, 11:22 AM
Easy answer -$$$$

Eric Nies Grind Time
11-20-2017, 12:20 PM
Watching football while in a food and wine coma is one of lifes great pleasures.

oldjoedawg
11-20-2017, 12:44 PM
WHO DOES NOT UNDERSTAND THAT THE GAMES ARE SCHEDULED BY THE NETWORKS???? DO SOME OF US LIVE UNDER A ROCK? MSU DOES NOT MAKE OUT THE SCHEDULES...BUT I AM SURE THEY AGREED TO THIS DATE.

Tbonewannabe
11-20-2017, 02:09 PM
Selfishly, it's basically a home game I can't attend because we have to do Thanksgiving 3 states away. With grandparents/etc getting older, tough to justify missing them all on Thanksgiving for a ballgame.

I am the exact opposite. Being on Thanksgiving is the only chance my wife has of going to the game. She works in retail so any Saturdays from November through Christmas is no go for her. Our family is 2 hours from Starkville so we will eat lunch then drive and have Friendsgiving at the tailgate.

RougeDawg
11-20-2017, 02:12 PM
I find it funny that people complain about the game being on Thanksgiving because it screws with their valuable family time but if the game is on Saturday and Coach Mullen lets the players go spend a few hours with their families on Thanksgiving all hell breaks loose.

This pretty much sums up the majority of our fan base.

Commercecomet24
11-20-2017, 02:15 PM

Spot on.

Rejlector84sports
11-20-2017, 04:52 PM
What better way to spend Thanksgiving, with the family. Does that not include the MSU family? Sure, playing on Thanksgiving does cause some troubles, but where is it written that you cannot have the meal at the Junction before the game? Would that not make the holiday even more special? Destroy the turkey, then walk a short way to destroy RebelSharkBear hope for the future... It could also make the cranberries sweeter...

I contend that this is just another growing pain that many in the fan base will need to get used to. State used to play all Saturday games because the team wasn't attractive enough. In recent years though the match has usually been very watchable. As MSU continues to get better do not be surprised for more "traditions" to be broken (home games with top teams away from campus and on days other than Saturday) -- all because the team and the program is getting tons of respect. You'll get used to it [Tide fans have...]

mstatefan91
11-20-2017, 05:18 PM

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HighlevelUniformHarborporpoise-max-1mb.gif

Turfdawg67
11-20-2017, 06:53 PM
Without reading any of the previous replies... exposure, money & exposure! The whole country is looking for an excuse to get away from the family and watch some football, ESPN knows it and the EB has done well there.

Turfdawg67
11-20-2017, 06:59 PM

I won’t compare myself to you, but like you, I love to point out the ironies and hypocrisies of this board. Well played, well played.

sleepy dawg
11-20-2017, 07:32 PM
I won?t compare myself to you, but like you, I love to point out the ironies and hypocrisies of this board. Well played, well played.

hmmm.... Perhaps if more thought that way it wouldn't be such a problem. People think that just b/c it is inconvenient for them that it must be inconvenient for everyone else.

This game may not bring the maximum amount of fans, but it will provide a much needed opportunity for some to go when they normally can't, and I'd bet there will be higher ratings for this game than most games of any team this entire season.

I'll actually be taking my brother and nephew to the game this year. My brother hasn't been able to go to a game since he graduated in '99, and it will be nephews first experience. I hope we win, but either way this Thursday will be a day I will never forget and I'm sure the same will go for them.

TUSK
11-20-2017, 09:21 PM
If MSU & the SEC continue on their current trajectories, the topic of this thread will become moot.

Todd4State
11-21-2017, 12:09 AM
I personally don't care for it. We're basically asking a lot of our fans to choose either MSU football or their families or working around things to go to the game. I think it also makes it difficult for some of the recruits to go to the game as well because of the family issue and also because some of them are still playing and they have a game on Friday night. The best exposure you get is from winning- when we made it to number one that was greater as far exposure compared to anytime we've ever played on Thanksgiving, worn any crazy uniforms, or anything else.

And as far as "exposure"- yeah, we may be the only college game on but we're going to be competing directly with the Giants and Redskins. We're on TV every weekend and our exposure is coming from winning. Back in the 90's we weren't on every weekend so playing Kentucky or a game that likely wouldn't have been on a Saturday made more sense then. Now there are maybe 1-2 SEC games on a Thursday a year. And also why the MAC is playing their league schedue almost entirely during the week.

Then you have the fact that the short week is causing us to play three SEC West games in 12 days- that's almost half the division in less than two weeks. Of course, the least the SEC could do would have been to let MSU- and Ole Miss for that matter- play a FCS or Sun Belt team the week before. That's a really tough stretch. I think playing on Thanksgiving hurts a lot of businesses in Starkville because I'm sure many of them are closed during Thanksgiving, so they miss the business from the game that they would have gotten otherwise.

The truth is- this wasn't and isn't about the TV Networks as much as it is about Texas/Texas A&M and their divorce from the Big 12 and Scott Stricklin. For a few years, Texas and A&M played on Thanksgiving and they liked doing it. Of course once they stopped playing each other that ended and the TV people wanted someone else to play on Thanksgiving. The TV people actually wanted A&M and LSU but LSU adamantly refused to do it even though A&M wanted to do it. Of course Stricklin jumped on the opportunity and here we are. It sounds to me like Texas and A&M are going to start playing again in the next five years- the Governor of Texas wants them to renew the series and both Texas and A&M are open to doing it so they ingredients are there for it to happen. If that happens like I think it will, my guess is the Texas and A&M game will go back to being on Thanksgiving. That or the Egg Bowl is going to be a lot of blowouts in our favor because Ole Miss is about to be bad for awhile so the TV people may end it because of that. Which is what ended the original Thanksgiving Egg Bowl run when we were on probation and losing to Ole Miss 31-0 or 24-12.

I know some people really like playing on Thanksgiving, I know some really don't like it, and then many are in the middle. What I personally would like to see the SEC do is rotate the rivalry games through Thanksgiving on two year stertches I guess- so say the Egg Bowl two years in a row, then the Iron Bowl for two years, and etc. with the understanding that the 11th game the week before is a cupcake before Thanksgiving.

Bully13
11-21-2017, 08:44 AM
Ever so often the fans will have to endure some holiday inconvenience in order for the program to reap the rewards national exposure gives. It's called taking one for the team. Giving back so to speak for what they give us. Be thankful, especially this time of year.