PDA

View Full Version : Next season may be our best shot since WWII...

DeviousDawg
11-19-2017, 10:24 PM
This becomes clear when you sit down and start looking at the numbers and what we are returning, as well as adding, to the roster.

-On offense, we are losing 4 guys who have started atleast one game:

WR Gabe Myles (10 GS)
WR Donald Gray (21 GS)
LT Martinas Rankin (17 GS)
TE Jordan Thomas (4 GS)

-Looking at the 4 offensive guys we are losing, each of their respective positions are returning a guy who has had a start at that position.

WR:
Losing- Gabe Myles(10 GS), Donald Gray(21 GS)
Returning- Keith Mixon(8 GS), Jesse Jackson(7 GS), Reggie Todd(3 GS), Jamal Couch (2 GS)
Adding- Malik Heath, Stephen Guidry, Devonta Jason(probably)

LT:
Losing- Martinas Rankin(17 GS)
Returning- Greg Eiland(4 GS)

TE:
Losing- Jordan Thomas(4 GS)
Returning- Farrod Green(12 GS)

-On Defense, we are losing 4 guys that have started atleast 1 game.

S JT Gray (17 GS)
MLB Dez Harris (11 GS)
CB Tolando Cleveland (19 GS)
CB Lashard Durr (11 GS)

-Looking at the 4 defensive guys we are losing, each of their respective positions are returning a guy who has had a start at that position.

Safety:
Losing- JT Gray(17 GS)
Returning- Brandon Bryant(26 GS), Mark McLaurin(17 GS), Johnathon Abram(5 GS)

MLB:
Losing- Dez Harris(11 GS)
Returning- Leo Lewis(19 GS), Errol Thompson(1 GS)

CB:
Losing- Tolando Cleveland(19 GS), Lashard Durr(11 GS)
Returning- Jamal Peters(8 GS), Chris Rayford(8 GS)

Looking at what the offense returns:
-the offense returns 13 guys that have started atleast 1 game with a combined 128 games started.
-The WR corp is returning 4 guys that have started atleast 1 game with a combined 20 games started.
-The TE corp is returning 1 guys that has started atleast 1 game in Farrod Green who has started 11 games.
-We know the QB situation, returning Fitz who has started 23 games.
-the RB group returns 2 guys who have started a game in Aeris Williams and Nick Gibson who have a combined 14 games started.
-the OL group is returning 6 guys who have started atleast 1 game in Stewart Reese, Deion Calhoun, Darryl Williams, Elgton Jenkins, Greg Eiland, and Michael Story who have started a combined 68 games.

Looking at what the defense returns:
-the defense returns 13 guys that have started atleast 1 game with a combined 152 games started.
-The safety group is returning 3 guys who have started atleast 1 game in Brandon Bryant, Mark McLaurin, and Johnathon Abram, who have started a combined 48 games.
-The Dline group is losing no one who has started a single game, and returns Montez Sweat, Jeff Simmons, Cory Thomas, Fletcher Adams, and Braxton Hoyett who have started a combined 45 games.
-the Cornerback group is returning Jamal Peters and Chris Rayford who have combined for 16 games started.
-the Linebacker corp returns Gerri Green, Leo Lewis and Errol Thompson who have combined for 43 games started.

-Looking at the big picture, we return 26 guys that have started atleast 1 game with a combined 280 games started. That's a pretty eye popping number.

Leroy Jenkins
11-19-2017, 10:27 PM
The schedule is very important.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2017, 10:31 PM
We'll be underdogs in three games.

DeviousDawg
11-19-2017, 10:39 PM

No doubt, but the point is, we could probably could have taken all of our seniors off of our roster before the season and still have a 9 win season. They're are only a handful of teams in the country that can say that. We should be a top 5, maybe even top 3 team in the nation preseason 2018 ON PAPER, although I realistically expect us to land in the top 10-15.

BulldogBear
11-19-2017, 10:40 PM
You forgot Malik Dear too

Bdawg
11-19-2017, 10:41 PM

Bama, AU, and who? Can’t remember sched.

bulldawg28
11-19-2017, 10:42 PM

3?

bulldawg28
11-19-2017, 10:43 PM

I doubt the Auburn game next year we're underdogs at home.

Leroy Jenkins
11-19-2017, 10:43 PM
Florida, Auburn, and aTm at home are big. Bye week before going to LSU helps. Bama at Bama is what it is. But if you have to go to Bama, we get them when they are coming off a trip to LSU, while we get LaTech the week before.

preachermatt83
11-19-2017, 10:46 PM
We will win the SEC next year.

Bdawg
11-19-2017, 10:46 PM

I would say that depends on how AU finishes this season, but I really can’t come up with 3 unless shotgun thinks we are going to be dogs in Death Valley.

Edit: also depends on what Stidham does( should come back imo)?

Bucky Dog
11-19-2017, 10:47 PM
This becomes clear when you sit down and start looking at the numbers and what we are returning, as well as adding, to the roster.

-On offense, we are losing 4 guys who have started atleast one game:

WR Gabe Myles (10 GS)
WR Donald Gray (21 GS)
LT Martinas Rankin (17 GS)
TE Jordan Thomas (4 GS)

-Looking at the 4 offensive guys we are losing, each of their respective positions are returning a guy who has had a start at that position.

WR:
Losing- Gabe Myles(10 GS), Donald Gray(21 GS)
Returning- Keith Mixon(8 GS), Jesse Jackson(7 GS), Reggie Todd(3 GS), Jamal Couch (2 GS)
Adding- Malik Heath, Stephen Guidry, Devonta Jason(probably)

LT:
Losing- Martinas Rankin(17 GS)
Returning- Greg Eiland(4 GS)

TE:
Losing- Jordan Thomas(4 GS)
Returning- Farrod Green(12 GS)

-On Defense, we are losing 4 guys that have started atleast 1 game.

S JT Gray (17 GS)
MLB Dez Harris (11 GS)
CB Tolando Cleveland (19 GS)
CB Lashard Durr (11 GS)

-Looking at the 4 defensive guys we are losing, each of their respective positions are returning a guy who has had a start at that position.

Safety:
Losing- JT Gray(17 GS)
Returning- Brandon Bryant(26 GS), Mark McLaurin(17 GS), Johnathon Abram(5 GS)

MLB:
Losing- Dez Harris(11 GS)
Returning- Leo Lewis(19 GS), Errol Thompson(1 GS)

CB:
Losing- Tolando Cleveland(19 GS), Lashard Durr(11 GS)
Returning- Jamal Peters(8 GS), Chris Rayford(8 GS)

Looking at what the offense returns:
-the offense returns 13 guys that have started atleast 1 game with a combined 128 games started.
-The WR corp is returning 4 guys that have started atleast 1 game with a combined 20 games started.
-The TE corp is returning 1 guys that has started atleast 1 game in Farrod Green who has started 11 games.
-We know the QB situation, returning Fitz who has started 23 games.
-the RB group returns 2 guys who have started a game in Aeris Williams and Nick Gibson who have a combined 14 games started.
-the OL group is returning 6 guys who have started atleast 1 game in Stewart Reese, Deion Calhoun, Darryl Williams, Elgton Jenkins, Greg Eiland, and Michael Story who have started a combined 68 games.

Looking at what the defense returns:
-the defense returns 13 guys that have started atleast 1 game with a combined 152 games started.
-The safety group is returning 3 guys who have started atleast 1 game in Brandon Bryant, Mark McLaurin, and Johnathon Abram, who have started a combined 48 games.
-The Dline group is losing no one who has started a single game, and returns Montez Sweat, Jeff Simmons, Cory Thomas, Fletcher Adams, and Braxton Hoyett who have started a combined 45 games.
-the Cornerback group is returning Jamal Peters and Chris Rayford who have combined for 16 games started.
-the Linebacker corp returns Gerri Green, Leo Lewis and Errol Thompson who have combined for 43 games started.

-Looking at the big picture, we return 26 guys that have started atleast 1 game with a combined 280 games started. That's a pretty eye popping number.

Welcome back Double D!! It's been awhile.

Yeah you forgot Dear and think about adding Murphy and our stable of RB's will be the best in the land.

Quaoarsking
We'll probably be favored against Florida in Starkville next year. Chip Kelly won't turn them around overnight.

Probably will be an underdog in Baton Rouge.

MetEdDawg
Schedule sets up well for 9-3 and higher. Road against Kansas State, home against Auburn, road against Bama, and road against LSU are the biggest pitfalls. Will be interested to see if Snyder calls it quits this year and see if KSU will get a new head coach. 1-3 is the worst we go, but 2-2 in those games and we go 10-2.

I like our other 3 home non conference, I have confidence we are better than UK, Arkansas, and I like us on the road against Ole Miss, home against Florida, and home against TAMU. On paper, we should be favored in every one of these games. Have to take care of business at home.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2017, 10:48 PM

@LSU

I doubt we'll be favored. Could be close.

Although with Guice and Etling leaving, they may be worse.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2017, 10:49 PM

Depends on if Stidham comes back. Will be close

HoopsDawg
11-19-2017, 10:52 PM
Better find a corner.

Cooterpoot
11-19-2017, 10:56 PM
Who’s going to catch passes and make plays downfield for us? That’s the question.

bulldawg28
11-19-2017, 10:58 PM
Better find a corner.

We've got plenty

Bdawg
11-19-2017, 11:00 PM
We've got plenty

Better find a good one.

Leroy Jenkins
11-19-2017, 11:04 PM
Who’s going to catch passes and make plays downfield for us? That’s the question.

Well, we have the number 1 Juco player in the country committed at WR, and Malik Heath, with at better than good shot at Keytaon's teammate Whop. So..... There is potential.

Todd4State
11-20-2017, 12:13 AM
@LSU

I'm not sold on Brennan. About two years from now they're going to be mad about letting Keytaeon slip through their fingers.

Todd4State
11-20-2017, 12:14 AM
What are the odds that Dez Harris comes back? I know there is a chance he gets a medical redshirt.

Cooterpoot
11-20-2017, 12:19 AM
Well, we have the number 1 Juco player in the country committed at WR, and Malik Heath, with at better than good shot at Keytaon's teammate Whop. So..... There is potential.

2 freshmen and an overhyped juco guy isn’t going to fix our problems there. Guidry will help some but he’s no stud WR.

Skydawg1
11-20-2017, 12:20 AM
Plus think of how many impact players LSU is losing after this season.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2017, 12:21 AM
What are the odds that Dez Harris comes back? I know there is a chance he gets a medical redshirt.

Would be yuge

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2017, 12:23 AM
2 freshmen and an overhyped juco guy isn’t going to fix our problems there. Guidry will help some but he’s no stud WR.

Maybe not but if Todd improves, plus Dear being back with Mixon, and then you add Guidry on top of that and I think we are significantly better.

Commercecomet24
11-20-2017, 12:24 AM
Reggie Todd is playing better and better each week. He has size and speed and has a chance to be a very good deep threat. He?s still young and learning but he?s getting there. He?s got confidence. Read today where before the tying td drive he was begging Dan and nick to give him a deep shot and he would be open. He kept his promise.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2017, 12:27 AM
Reggie Todd is playing better and better each week. He has size and speed and has a chance to be a very good deep threat. He?s still young and learning but he?s getting there. He?s got confidence. Read today where before the tying td drive he was begging Dan and nick to give him a deep shot and he would be open. He kept his promise.

Agree. Now just think of Todd having Guidry on the other side with Mixon, Dear, and Thomas in the slot. Guidry and Todd may just be “pretty good” but the combination has a chance to be better than that.

Commercecomet24
11-20-2017, 12:30 AM
Agree. Now just think of Todd having Guidry on the other side with Mixon, Dear, and Thomas in the slot. Guidry and Todd may just be ?pretty good? but the combination has a chance to be better than that.

Exactly. The sum total is greater than the individual parts. Spread it around hard to key one player.

BeardoMSU
11-20-2017, 12:37 AM
This thread have me like**

https://ehdknits.files.wordpress.com/2011/09/shreksheep.jpg

No, seriously. It does. Next year we're going to drag dick.

Todd4State
11-20-2017, 01:04 AM

Don't be fooled by stats with WR's. Much of their production is related to their QB or lack thereof in some cases. On top of that in lower level leagues those guys are going to be the main focus of the defense as the "don't let this guy beat you" guy.

When you have guys that are being recruited by LSU- which has a pretty good track record with producing WR's lately- and are going to postseason all-star games they're going to contribute at least some. Add in the fact that Todd and Couch will be better and then the fact that Deddrick Thomas is starting to look like Jameon Lewis 2.0 plus getting Dear back- we should be a lot better next year.

The biggest thing is we need some guys that can go deep and catch the ball. That could be Todd or someone else. If you look at the offensive stats for MSU, the only area where we struggle is on explosive plays. Adding that deep threat will help us correct that because Nick can get it there- we just need someone that can catch it. Adding that will help the running game open up which will make us more explosive. We also need to get our receivers to bulk up and work on their blocking so that we can add the screen game to our playbook.

Todd4State
11-20-2017, 01:06 AM

I LOVE that. That's what we've been missing. Todd just needs experience. The fact that he was rated a 4 star by 247 sports despite playing something like one season of high school ball says a lot about his skill set.

Leroy Jenkins
11-20-2017, 01:06 AM

You win. We are fvcked. Shut it down.

parabrave
11-20-2017, 01:29 AM
Well everybody from the late 70?s remember "Can't Wait til next year".

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2017, 01:37 AM
Why does everyone keep forgetting Dear?

Commercecomet24
11-20-2017, 01:47 AM
Why does everyone keep forgetting Dear?

Our slot guys, Dear, Mixon, and Thomas are gonna be hard to cover next year. That should get us some one on ones on the outside to Todd, Guidry, Couch, etc

TUSK
11-20-2017, 01:54 AM

This^...

And one can argue it?s even more important (within reason) than talent & coaching...

SEC WEST:
Arkie: no talent & (literally) no coach.
AUbie: lots of talent, but may have no coach.
7SU: lots of talent, but are disfunctional & have no legit coach.
A&M: good talent, but no coach or defense & they suck.
OM: literally no coach or talent, suck bad & gonna get much worse.

SEC East:
UF: decent talent, literally no coach & they suck.
UT: decent talent, literally no coach & they suck.
KY, VDY, SC, MO: all suck.

That leaves UGA, Bammer, & MSU.

JS

Todd4State
11-20-2017, 02:01 AM
Our slot guys, Dear, Mixon, and Thomas are gonna be hard to cover next year. That should get us some one on ones on the outside to Todd, Guidry, Couch, etc

Exactly and with their emergence I hope Dan uses Dear in the slot and also essentially as a running back motioning from the slot. Mixon can be used the same way as well and can be the hybrid scatback/slot guy.

Florida used to use guys like Harvin and Chris Rainey like that. It would give us another dimension to our offense that would be difficult to stop.

Todd4State
11-20-2017, 02:02 AM
Well everybody from the late 70?s remember "Can't Wait til next year".

Hey! Next year was essentially 1980.

Covercorner2
11-20-2017, 08:43 AM
@LSU

You do realize Myles Brennan will be LSU's QB, right? If we aren't favored, that's just dumb.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2017, 08:47 AM
You do realize Myles Brennan will be LSU's QB, right? If we aren't favored, that's just dumb.

Agree. They may be worse.

However, LSU’s “talent level” will still greater on paper and they’ll be at home. I expect LSU -2 or so.

Covercorner2
11-20-2017, 08:47 AM
Better find a good one.

Cameron Dantzler and Brian Cole.

Also, don't forget Rivers at DE. Our DEs/OLBs will be absolutely loaded.

ShotgunDawg
11-20-2017, 08:49 AM
LSU loses Guice, Etling, Arden Key, and DJ Chark

So, basically, they lose all their playmakers or people that touch the ball.

Covercorner2
11-20-2017, 08:50 AM
LSU loses Guice, Etling, Arden Key, and DJ Chark

So, basically, they lose all their playmakers or people that touch the ball.

Exactly. They won't be favored.

Coursesuper
11-20-2017, 08:55 AM
Willie Gay should be mentioned here, most talented LB on the roster.

Bubb Rubb
11-20-2017, 09:35 AM
Willie Gay should be mentioned here, most talented LB on the roster.

Erroll "The Beast" Thompson says hello.

Bdawg
11-20-2017, 11:05 PM
Cameron Dantzler and Brian Cole.

Also, don't forget Rivers at DE. Our DEs/OLBs will be absolutely loaded.

Oh our 1st and 2nd level will be loaded. I’m even good with safeties. A sure fire lockdown corner is the only position I was referencing. If one corner can be that lockdown guy, I think we field one of the best defenses ever. Just haven’t seen that guy yet.

Dallas_Dawg
11-20-2017, 11:34 PM
Erroll "The Beast" Thompson says hello.
I freaking love Thompson. Downhill Lb that knocks folks backwards
Excited to see Willie too. Big play in Arkansas game in 4Q

Commercecomet24
11-20-2017, 11:38 PM
Our front 7 and 2 deep on the front 7 will be as talented as anyone in the country.

TUSK
11-21-2017, 12:26 AM
Our front 7 and 2 deep on the front 7 will be as talented as anyone in the country.

I’m watching you, buddy...

Commercecomet24
11-21-2017, 12:35 AM
I’m watching you, buddy...

Lol bring it.