cujo
09-27-2013, 09:37 PM
nm

CadaverDawg
09-27-2013, 09:38 PM
Wow

DogBanker
09-27-2013, 09:41 PM
Speaking of Bassfield...a guy really close to the football program told me today that the Moore boys were not as solid as everyone thinks they are. He thinks we get them.

Coach34
09-27-2013, 09:42 PM
why is anybody surprised? I would have been surprised if they didnt. Bassfield is a smaller school, they shouldnt win playing up

CadaverDawg
09-27-2013, 09:44 PM
why is anybody surprised? I would have been surprised if they didnt. Bassfield is a smaller school, they shouldnt win playing up

You are ridiculous sometimes coach...ha, they won in overtime, so obviously it wasn't a huge mismatch in prep's favor. I know you're a private school guy, but don't act like prep mopped the floor with them or something. It was a big win for prep whether you want to call it one or not.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2013, 09:44 PM
Speaking of Bassfield...a guy really close to the football program told me today that the Moore boys were not as solid as everyone thinks they are. He thinks we get them.

Sure would be great

Coach34
09-27-2013, 09:48 PM
You are ridiculous sometimes coach....

Why? Prep wins their match-up vs public school teams damn near every year dont they? Hell, they beat Pearl by 50 one year

CadaverDawg
09-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Why? Prep wins their match-up vs public school teams damn near every year dont they? Hell, they beat Pearl by 50 one year

Haha, because you acted like it was a no brainer they would win. If it was, this thread wouldn't be here. I'm not saying Prep isn't good, they are. I'm just saying that for you to say "why is anyone surprised" after an overtime win like you never doubted it, seems silly. I think it's funny, not arguing.

Bo Darville
09-27-2013, 09:51 PM
Hell, they beat Pearl by 50 one year

Come on coach. The only reason Prep beat Pearl by 50 that year is because Prep played the waterboys in the second half. Otherwise it would have been 100.

Bo Darville
09-27-2013, 09:54 PM
I agree with coach. I felt like it should have been a close game, but I'm not surprised Prep won. Folks act like this was an upset. Two good teams, pretty evenly matched. I figured Prep would win. They are a little better than Bassfield.

Coach34
09-27-2013, 09:59 PM
I'm just laughing at the public school people who look down on Academy ball but cant recognize that the Jackson schools can play. Over the last 10 years when Prep has played a public school- they have rarely lost. Somebody on SPS or 247 said Prep had no chance to beat Bassfield and I just thought that was stupid. People just dont seem to pay attention.

People dont realize how good the league used to be in the 80's and early 1990's before the explosion of of people moving to Brandon, NW Rankin, Madison, etc....Before Madison Central was built- MRA was damn good every year.

engie
09-27-2013, 10:02 PM
Bassfield - 366 students 7th - 12th
Prep - 820 students 6th - 12th

That said, Bassfield has been billed as the best team at a school that small in the history of the state. Not really surprised Prep won, but it's interesting nonetheless.

I'd love to get the Moore twins. Peters, the JR safety, is one of the best prospects in the country -- and many think he is leaning toward us initially. Would be hard for me to see us getting him without getting the twins though...

Jack Lambert
09-27-2013, 10:38 PM
You are ridiculous sometimes coach...ha, they won in overtime, so obviously it wasn't a huge mismatch in prep's favor. I know you're a private school guy, but don't act like prep mopped the floor with them or something. It was a big win for prep whether you want to call it one or not.

I have been hearing this crap all my life. Bassfield had the longest winning streak in the state and beating them was accomphishment even if it was in over time because it was something that 21 public schools could not do and don't think that Prep is this large school. They only have somewhere between 300 to 350 in the high school. Thats 10th to 12th grades. They would not be a big public school however they are willing to step up to the plate and take on 5A schools if they can find more then the two who have played them with the guts to try. I think Prep could win the state 4A, 3A, 2A and 1a in football.

I was at the game and Bassfield is known for it speed and trust me their defensive back field is as fast as Brandon's high school and I have watched Brandon play twice but Preps defense was just as good as Bassfield. Prep defense bent but did not break and they pulled it out in the in.

Even when I played against Prep back in the 80's they had four guys sign with SEC schools. Two with ole miss, one with state and one with auburn. I was even offered a scholarship to USM and my best friend was recruited by Bama and his brother signed with Auburn.

I go to a lot of football games with my son, both public and private in the Jackson area and trust me there is not as big of a difference as you think. Belive it or not I think you even have better coaching in the Private schools.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2013, 10:42 PM
Are you thinking that I'm saying prep isn't good? Because I know prep is good. I am not shocked that Prep won, I just think it's funny for someone to come on here after the fact and say "why are you surprised??" As if Prep was supposed to go in there and beat the shit out of them.

But no, I completely know that Prep is solid and can beat some public schools.

Homedawg
09-27-2013, 10:42 PM

Don't count on it.

bulldawg28
09-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Prep should play some nothern powerhouses. They'd get destroyed even in the 80's and 90's.

Coach34
09-28-2013, 09:54 AM
Prep should play some nothern powerhouses. They'd get destroyed even in the 80's and 90's.

I coached at a northern powerhouse- in no way,shape, or form would we have wanted to play Prep- and hell- we sent a player to the NFL.

Now Prep couldnt beat South Panola or anything- but they could play 4A football in Mississippi and be in the running for the state title every year.

M.Fillmore
09-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Prep and Pearl played six times, they split 3-3 and Pearl made it to the playoffs one time in those years and lost in the round of 16.

bulldawg28
09-28-2013, 10:11 AM
I coached at a northern powerhouse- in no way,shape, or form would we have wanted to play Prep- and hell- we sent a player to the NFL.

Now Prep couldnt beat South Panola or anything- but they could play 4A football in Mississippi and be in the running for the state title every year.

No disrespect but if you were afraid of prep your school wasn't a powerhouse.

Coach34
09-28-2013, 10:56 AM
No disrespect but if you were afraid of prep your school wasn't a powerhouse.

well, the school was good enough to win a state championship and play for another.

It's like being Georgia and playing Boise- they are not as good athletically as you- but they will do things your team doesnt, and their team IQ will dwarf yours allowing them to do things your team isnt ready for.

Coach34
09-28-2013, 10:57 AM
Prep and Pearl played six times, they split 3-3 and Pearl made it to the playoffs one time in those years and lost in the round of 16.

And Pearl was 5A were they not? Meaning they had about 3 times as many kids in HS as Prep had

M.Fillmore
09-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Pearl was 4A then and they got hammered by a lot of teams during that period.
Prep makes a big deal about beating really lousy Pearl team by 50. That same Pearl team lost to Canton by 4+ touchdowns and Yazoo City. Are you claiming Canton and Yazoo City are football powerhouses?

Bo Darville
09-28-2013, 01:13 PM
Pearl was 4A then and they got hammered by a lot of teams during that period.
Prep makes a big deal about beating really lousy Pearl team by 50. That same Pearl team lost to Canton by 4+ touchdowns and Yazoo City. Are you claiming Canton and Yazoo City are football powerhouses?

The point coach is trying to make is that Pearl had a much larger enrollment. Regardless of what you think, or what coach34 thinks, the facts are what they are. The MAIS schools have won the majority of the football games played against the MHSAA schools. This is despite the fact that in the vast majority of the games, the MAIS school was playing a MHSAA school with a much larger enrollment. Prep vs. Bassfield was one of the few exceptions where the public school was willing to play a private school and the private school had the larger enrollment. Usually it is the other way around.

Todd4State
09-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Prep went toe to toe with Oxford on the road- a top 8 team in the Super 10- and played them pretty respectably. They lost to them by twelve in large part due to a blocked punt. And this is not one of their better teams- last year they were outstanding. They have a good history of putting players in the SEC and in the NFL.

They've beaten Madison Central in 7 on 7 and Northwest Rankin in a jamboree for whatever that's worth.