PDA

View Full Version : 4th and two

basedog
11-18-2017, 06:46 PM
Say what you want, but dumb move, cost his team a chance. Now for folks saying "well if he makes it", they didn't. Our defense played well not great but Fat Boy should have punted as our offense played poorly and we were making mistakes keeping the Hogs in the game.
Also saying he or the Hogs had nothing to lose is wrong, they were playing for a chance to get 6 wins and a bowl. They had a better chance IF the game would have gone in overtime. There defense today was better than there offense today. He should be fired tonight for a costly dumb play but I'm so glad he did!

Very proud we pulled it off, again defense was ok, special teams hurt us today. This game makes me think we are or we have turned the corner.

No excuse but both teams will be fired up in the Egg Bowl. We are much better playing at home.

HailState!

msstate7
11-18-2017, 06:48 PM
Incredibly dumb move by BB

chef dixon
11-18-2017, 06:48 PM
I think our defense played amazing all things considered

ShotgunDawg
11-18-2017, 06:50 PM
Just a man trying to save his job.

Punting probably gets you beat as well since we were the better team.

In normal situations, I think you punt, but in Brett's situation, I can't blame him

Jack Lambert
11-18-2017, 06:51 PM

Any time you hold your opponent to low yards and get four sacks you had a good day.

basedog
11-18-2017, 06:51 PM

I agree, special teams wasn't great today either.

basedog
11-18-2017, 06:53 PM

In normal situations, I think you punt, but in Brett's situation, I can't blame him

Like I said, it cost him not saved! His chance was us making another mistake by backing us up. Dumb mistake!

TrapGame
11-18-2017, 06:54 PM
The way our defense was playing that was a really dumb coaching decision.

Liverpooldawg
11-18-2017, 06:54 PM
Say what you want, but dumb move, cost his team a chance. Now for folks saying "well if he makes it", they didn't. Our defense played well not great but Fat Boy should have punted as our offense played poorly and we were making mistakes keeping the Hogs in the game.
Also saying he or the Hogs had nothing to lose is wrong, they were playing for a chance to get 6 wins and a bowl. They had a better chance IF the game would have gone in overtime. There defense today was better than there offense today. He should be fired tonight for a costly dumb play but I'm so glad he did!

Very proud we pulled it off, again defense was ok, special teams hurt us today. This game makes me think we are or we have turned the corner.

No excuse but both teams will be fired up in the Egg Bowl. We are much better playing at home.

HailState!

That was one of the single dumbest decisions I have ever seen on a football field

shoeless joe
11-18-2017, 06:56 PM

This is the answer. I wasn't surprised at all. Second game of the year he definitely punts.

RiverCityDawg
11-18-2017, 06:58 PM
That was one of the single dumbest decisions I have ever seen on a football field

Agree. We aren't a big play team... Make us have to throw it to win in regulation, don't set us up to play within our strengths.

WSOPdawg
11-18-2017, 07:12 PM

Going for it can be justified but not in the manner of throwing a deep ball that has little chance of being completed.

WSOPdawg
11-18-2017, 07:15 PM

Ogre's decision (when he was coaching TCUN) to go for it on 4th down instead of punt against us in the 4th Q could be up there with this one. Ogre's decision not only cost him the game (what a comeback from 17-0 down) but cost him his job. I really think there's a great chance that Bert doesn't coach them next week.

Turfdawg67
11-18-2017, 07:39 PM

HailState!

Our D played great! They scored when the fumbled punt gave them the ball on the 35, they scored when we fumbled in the endzone and they scored when we kicked the football all the way down field and gave the a 1st and goal at the 2 yard line. Take away those three mistakes and they get shutout.

Lord McBuckethead
11-18-2017, 08:01 PM
Wish we wouldn't have punted against Bama

Reason2succeed
11-18-2017, 08:13 PM
Wish we wouldn't have punted against Bama

It's almost the same thing except we had better field position. I don't blame Bert for going for it. He trusted his team to get it and they didn't. In actuality I thought they deserved the pass interference but the referees were cold and were ready to go home so they kept their hands in their pockets. I would have run the ball off tackle on that play but...

basedog
11-18-2017, 09:00 PM
It's almost the same thing except we had better field position. I don't blame Bert for going for it. He trusted his team to get it and they didn't. In actuality I thought they deserved the pass interference but the referees were cold and were ready to go home so they kept their hands in their pockets. I would have run the ball off tackle on that play but...

Pass interference? Receiver slowed down and got tangled up, it was the correct no flag call.

Trust his team? They didn’t do anything on offense w/o our help. U punt the ball and keep us backed up, u hold us and get the ball back.

Dumb ass decision, it backfired. There is no what ifs when u lose!

Todd4State
11-18-2017, 09:05 PM
Pass interference? Receiver slowed down and got tangled up, it was the correct no flag call.

Trust his team? They didn’t do anything on offense w/o our help. U punt the ball and keep us backed up, u hold us and get the ball back.

Dumb ass decision, it backfired. There is no what ifs when u lose!

It looked to me like Durr tripped and fell down. If he touched their receiver it was pretty minimal. Agree good call on the official. Also agree bad call by Bielema. Especially at home. Punt the ball and make MSU drive the field or take your chances in OT. The only small defense I have is the wind may have factored into his decision although if that was the case, I'm not sure why you would have your QB throw it deep?

basedog
11-18-2017, 09:21 PM
It looked to me like Durr tripped and fell down. If he touched their receiver it was pretty minimal. Agree good call on the official. Also agree bad call by Bielema. Especially at home. Punt the ball and make MSU drive the field or take your chances in OT. The only small defense I have is the wind may have factored into his decision although if that was the case, I'm not sure why you would have your QB throw it deep?

I also agree why the deep pass? I’m just glad Fat Boy gambled, he played right into our strength which was defense.

mstatefan91
11-18-2017, 09:45 PM

That was not pass interference. Durr tripped over his own feet. Ark receiver had slowed on his route anyway. Ball was uncatchable

Turfdawg67
11-18-2017, 10:05 PM
I also agree why the deep pass? I’m just glad Fat Boy gambled, he played right into our strength which was defense.

Because they watch game film and figured we’d bring the house and the secondary would bite on the play fake... like we’ve done many times this year.

basedog
11-18-2017, 10:13 PM
Because they watch game film and figured we’d bring the house and the secondary would bite on the play fake... like we’ve done many times this year.

It didn't work!

Maroonthirteen
11-19-2017, 06:24 AM
Yeah, that game most likely goes to OT if he punts. Not a good decision at all. Especially considering how much time our offense takes to move 80 yards. Also considering we would have had to get damn near the goal
Line to kick a FG with that wind.

Now if we were moving the ball like Bama did on us and I know there is a good chance the opponent can cover 60-80yards in the time left....go for it. Don’t punt....*** cough cough, clear throat ***

Dawg61
11-19-2017, 07:24 AM
I think Bert wants that buyout and a year off from coaching

Johnson85
11-19-2017, 11:14 AM
His team was terrible and he had a lot of players injured. He was trying to shorten the game. That's normally what you want to do as the weaker team. The only reason I disagree with it is that with the wind swirling, he probably should have taken his chances in overtime and hoping we miss a field goal or something. But the reality is he wasn't likely to win that game regardless. They were the much weaker team and were only in the game because of two freak plus and an untimely fumble on our part. Unlikely any of his decisions were going to look good at that point.

ShotgunDawg
11-19-2017, 11:31 AM
Call me crazy but I still think Bert is a good football coach.

I think he could be Muschamp 2.0 and go to another SEC program and have success after learning from his mistakes.

Again, call me nuts, but, if our job comes open in the next 3 years or so, I?d at least want to interview him to find out what and how it went bad at Arkansas.

I like Bert?s style of football and believe it is a much better style in the SEC than that of a guy like Sumlin or Norvell

My biggest concern about Bert is that he is too nice of a guy to recruit the way you have to recruit in this conference. To be successful in the SEC, you may need some arrogance and ass hole.

basedog
11-19-2017, 11:48 AM

I think he could be Muschamp 2.0 and go to another SEC program and have success after learning from his mistakes.

Again, call me nuts, but, if our job comes open in the next 3 years or so, I?d at least want to interview him to find out what and how it went bad at Arkansas.

I like Bert?s style of football and believe it is a much better style in the SEC than that of a guy like Sumlin or Norvell

My biggest concern about Bert is that he is too nice of a guy to recruit the way you have to recruit in this conference. To be successful in the SEC, you may need some arrogance and ass hole.

His problem mainly on offense he thinks he can play smash mouth football like Bama. He never adjusted to the Sec style.

My be a decent Coach but he wasn't even average in the Sec, his record shows.

Dawg61
11-19-2017, 05:00 PM

Ok you're crazy. Bert sucks.