PDA

View Full Version : This Week in GA QB Commits

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Coming off a tough loss to open region play, Elijah Staley an Wheeler (2-2, 0-1) travel to Milton High (4-0, 1-0) in Roswell, GA for their second region match up. Unfortunately for Elijah, things don't get any easier. Milton is rolling so far this season. In 4 games, their D is allowing just 12.5 points per game. Of the 50 points they have allowed, half came in the opening game against Alpharetta. The Offense has been explosive, averaging 43 points a contest.

Wheeler's big challenge will be stopping Treyvon Paulk, a 3* commit to Tennessee. Listed at 5'9", 191 and a 4.37 - he had 468 yards and 8 TD's in the first 3 games.

Nick Fitzgerald and the Richmond Hill Wildcats travel 50 miles down the coast to open Region 3-AAAAA play at Glynn Academy. The Red Terrors are normally one of the top 2-3 teams in the region, but this year may be different. Sitting at 1-2, GA has looked down right awful in their two losses. This was a tight game last year - with Nick catching the game winning TD in the final seconds, but GA lost 22 seniors from that team and has looked young starting the season.

Glynn has pieced together similar numbers to Richmond Hill, rushing for 525 in its three games and throwing for 277 for an 802 total. Junior quarterback Zach Lamper has led the aerial assault with 258 yards passing on 22 completions with two touchdowns, and senior Kenneth Cross has 173 yards rushing on 30 carries to lead the GA ground attack. Two-way standout Emmett Thomas has contributed 126 yards on the ground on just six carries, and he and Cross have scored all four of GA's rushing TDs.

The Red Terror D has been solid, but has worn down from too much time on the field as the offense suffers from 3 and outs. The GA offense has been prone to turnovers and mistakes that quickly stall the offense. A good preview from the Savannah paper http://savannahnow.com/bryan-county-now/2013-09-26/richmond-hill-football-set-open-region-play-against-glynn-academy#.UkSInNKkobg

From what I have seen in Glynn's 2 losses, if Richmond Hill gets them down by 10, Glynn will quit. That viewpoint is putting some local heat on the head coach. If Richmond Hill pounds them with an attacking running game, and stuffs the run on D, they will demolish Glynn Academy.

I'll be in my seats on the home-side 45, and will attempt to keep stats and update on any big plays from Nick. I'll try to get a couple of pics or video and post after the game.

Hail State!

chainedup_Dawg
09-27-2013, 05:35 PM
Really appreciate you doing all this, look forward to reading these updates each week

msstate7
09-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Really appreciate you doing all this, look forward to reading these updates each week

As do I

Coach34
09-27-2013, 06:02 PM
good stuff BD

RichardHarrow
09-27-2013, 06:05 PM
Thanks Brunswickdawg for the time you've put into this, it is greatly appreciated. Best of luck to Elijah and Nick tonight

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2013, 06:52 PM
After blocking a GA FG attempt, Richmond Hill goes 64 yards in 3 plays. Nick gets a TD on a 2 yard keeper. 7-0 Richmond Hill

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2013, 07:01 PM
End 1st - Nick is 0-1 passing, good throw, bad route. 4 rushes for 2 yards. Has a rushing TD and was sacked for a 9 yard loss. Looks good under center and in the gun.

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2013, 07:13 PM
Nick a 50 yard TD run! He ran over two. At the line and broke a tackle on the 5 to score. 14-7 Richmond Hill

CadaverDawg
09-27-2013, 07:32 PM
Nick a 50 yard TD run! He ran over two. At the line and broke a tackle on the 5 to score. 14-7 Richmond Hill

Nice

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2013, 07:37 PM
Richmond Hill tied at the half 14-14. On 10 carries, Nick has 86 yards and 2 TDs. He is 0-2 passing, with a sack.

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Elijah and Wheeler are down 17-7 in the 2nd

msstate7
09-27-2013, 07:54 PM
BD...do you think nick will stay a qb? From his stats every week it seems he's more of an athlete than a qb.

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2013, 08:11 PM
Nick TD from the 1 on a dive play. 21-14. Nick had 32 yards rushing on the drive - now with 118. But GA has a big return on the kick, and ties the game after a 3 play drive.

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2013, 08:18 PM
BD...do you think nick will stay a qb? From his stats every week it seems he's more of an athlete than a qb.

Maybe. He would be a hellava tight end. Honestly, it is hard to get a read. They play a true option O - with the QB as the primary runner. He has a quick burst on the run and runs with power. Of course as I type, he just threw a beautiful 35 yard TD hitting the receiver in stride - threw to the spot and the WR tan to it. PAT blocked - Richmond Hill up 27-21 in 3rd

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2013, 08:26 PM
And now the wheels start to fall off for my Red Terrors... Fumble on their own 30, with a late hit penalty leads to a 4 play, 15 yard drive for another Nick 2 yard TD plunge. 2pt fails, 33-21 Richmond Hill

CadaverDawg
09-27-2013, 08:31 PM
And now the wheels start to fall off for my Red Terrors... Fumble on their own 30, with a late hit penalty leads to a 4 play, 15 yard drive for another Nick 2 yard TD plunge. 2pt fails, 33-21 Richmond Hill

Damn, he's putting together a hell of a stat line

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2013, 08:44 PM
Oh wow - 55 yard TD pass from Nick. Hits a receiver in stride on a post pattern. Ball was 45 yards in the air. That is 2 TD passes on 4 total attempts. 40-21 Richmond Hill

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2013, 08:55 PM
12 yard TD burst up the middle by Nick - 47-21 with 4:00 left in 4th

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2013, 09:06 PM
Game winding down. I have Nick with 26 carries for 157 yards and 5 TDs, 2-5 passing for 90 yards and 2 TDs in a 47-28 win. Ill do a review after I pick up my band kids and get home.

msstate7
09-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Good job tonight brun. Thanks for thinking of the rest of us

smootness
09-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Game winding down. I have Nick with 26 carries for 157 yards and 5 TDs, 2-5 passing for 90 yards and 2 TDs in a 47-28 win. Ill do a review after I pick up my band kids and get home.

Good grief.

msstate7
09-27-2013, 09:10 PM

Seems like this kid would be perfect for Georgia tech. Did they recruit him?

trob115
09-27-2013, 09:46 PM
Thanks bd for the updates.

hacker
09-27-2013, 09:49 PM
man, our QB class is amazing

CadaverDawg
09-27-2013, 09:50 PM
man, our QB class is amazing

mstate7 is trying to recruit one of them away for Georgia tech**

msstate7
09-27-2013, 10:16 PM
mstate7 is trying to recruit one of them away for Georgia tech**

Haha...as a state fan I don't know how to act about having 2 good qb commits.

CadaverDawg
09-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Haha...as a state fan I don't know how to act about having 2 good qb commits.

Ha, I know what you mean.

chainedup_Dawg
09-27-2013, 10:25 PM
Has anybody heard anything on Staley, saw some odd tweets that I'm not sure what to think about them

Just went back and read the tweets. Apparently Staley was taken out of the game for telling the coach that the play calling was no good. This is what I gathered from the tweets I saw. I know coachcamp will be on at some point, hope he can shed some light

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2013, 10:52 PM
Before I start - I want to emphasize that I am a football fan only - and have no real playing experience. My game was baseball, and I could give a strong scouting report for a hitter or pitcher. My closest experience with evaluating QB's is having caught a TD pass in PE from a high school All-American QB.

Richmond Hill runs a true option attack. Nick called his own number a lot. He pounded the gap off tackle. He has a quick first step off the snap when running from under center. He did a great job of hitting the gap and then just pounding the LB's. He had 6 runs of 10 or more yards. He looked good running sweeps with one back, and making the pitching just before getting hit to spring the RB to the outside for big gains. Harris the RB may have broken 100 tonight, but I wasn't keeping his stats... When Nick runs, he seemed to have good vision for the field. He had a nice side-step move that was a little Tebowish. This was big on a great scramble in the 2nd when he avoided the blitz and turned a sure sack into a 5 yard gain. He is a tall kid, but pretty lean not thick like Tebow or Relf.

Passing is a little hard to judge with only 5 attempts in the game. The first pass attempt was a well thrown ball, and would have been about a 15 yard gain, but the receiver ran a crappy route. The second attempt was just before the half. The receiver dropped an easy 20 yard pass on the 5 for what would have been an easy TD. The third pass was a 35 yard TD - fly route. He led the WR perfectly and hit him in stride. It was a hire, arching, tight spiral. Nice touch, and good zip. Fourth attempt was a TD - post pattern that hit the WR in stride for a 55 yard TD. 45 or so in the air. 5th attempt was a bad throw.

If I had to compare, I would say he is definitely in the run-first Relf-fense style. I think he has more touch than Chris, can throw a good deep ball, but does did not show a "cannon". He is much faster than I thought he would be, which is a big asset. On the 50 yard TD run he showed a second gear and then trucked a guy on the 5 to get the score. If, and I would say it is a big if, he made a move he has the speed to be tough TE (assuming he can catch). Honestly though, I think he has the tools to compete after a RS year. I could see Nick thriving with Shump and someone like Holloway out of the backfield. It would be a very Mullen at UF style O with Nick at QB. I am not saying he is Tebow - but he would be very good in that type offensive.

That is all for tonight. No pics - I forgot. Big thanks to Coach 57 and Coach 34 for some tips on what to watch for, to my Dad for being a great spotter tonight. And a shout out to sheltonchoked.

Hail State!

BrunswickDawg
09-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Seems like this kid would be perfect for Georgia tech. Did they recruit him?

Dude, nobody from Georgia [I]wants[I]to go to Tech. Do they even have women on campus?

msstate7
09-27-2013, 11:00 PM
Dude, nobody from Georgia [I]wants[I]to go to Tech. Do they even have women on campus?

Ha! Nice

Original48
09-27-2013, 11:16 PM
Nicely done Brunswick

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-27-2013, 11:34 PM
Why are we excited about a QB that only throws the ball 5 times a game?

Coach34
09-27-2013, 11:35 PM

Because we are going to be a running team again thank God

CadaverDawg
09-27-2013, 11:38 PM

^This^

msstate7
09-27-2013, 11:56 PM

How about we're excited bc our qb commit threw 40% of his passes for td's

WeWonItAll(Most)
09-27-2013, 11:56 PM
But if he only throws 5 times a game can he pass worth a damn? I'm as excited about becoming a running team as much as the next guy, but a QB still has to be able to throw pretty well

ShotgunDawg
09-28-2013, 12:03 AM
Check out this article from tonight:

http://www.southernpigskin.com/forums/viewthread/10061/

MaroonState
09-28-2013, 12:09 AM
But if he only throws 5 times a game can he pass worth a damn? I'm as excited about becoming a running team as much as the next guy, but a QB still has to be able to throw pretty well

Brett Favre didn't throw much in high school either. Kid can't help what offense his coach runs.

BrunswickDawg
09-28-2013, 06:21 AM

He can make the throws. UGA has a Freshman named Bryce Ramsey from Camden Co. who averaged about 5 throws a game last year. It is not uncommon at all.

hacker
09-28-2013, 09:13 AM

Did you even read the shit that Brunswick posted? Why do you have an opinion if you haven't read the thread?

BrunswickDawg
09-28-2013, 02:47 PM
Check out this article from tonight:

http://www.southernpigskin.com/forums/viewthread/10061/

Southern pigskin does the afternoon drive time radio on the Coastal GA ESPN affiliate. They know high school football pretty well. They have covered Nick's games the last two weeks and have been really high on him, so I'm not surprised by this note from BJ Bennett.

coachcamp
09-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Sorry fella's.. I was so mad, I didng wanna post nothing crazy about Elijahs Coach. I dont know if any of you guys have been to one of our games. If you have, the first thing that you notice is that our play calling sucks. That why we keep losing.
Anyway, at halftime, Elijah and his coach always game plan to adjust. Elijah told the coach that he needed to throw the ball more because the run wasnt working. The coach told him he was being selfish. Elijah told him that everybody on the team thought the same thing but is afraid to say it. Coach got mad and told Elijah he was done for the rest of the game. Elijah blew up on him then.

SnakePlissken
09-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Sorry fella's.. I was so mad, I didng wanna post nothing crazy about Elijahs Coach. I dont know if any of you guys have been to one of our games. If you have, the first thing that you notice is that our play calling sucks. That why we keep losing.
Anyway, at halftime, Elijah and his coach always game plan to adjust. Elijah told the coach that he needed to throw the ball more because the run wasnt working. The coach told him he was being selfish. Elijah told him that everybody on the team thought the same thing but is afraid to say it. Coach got mad and told Elijah he was done for the rest of the game. Elijah blew up on him then.
Thanks for the update and explanation coach Camp. Hate to hear Elijah having to play under that situation. We are so ready for he and Nick to get on campus!!

gravedigger
09-29-2013, 10:43 AM

Face palm. Come on. It's high school. That happens. We need qb's that can run period.