PDA

View Full Version : Grant Presidential library about ready to open

Lumpy Chucklelips
11-16-2017, 06:50 PM
and once again as OM is getting negative press by being portrayed as being stuck in the past by an NBC article regarding their holding on to confederate symbolism's, MSU is obtaining positive press for housing the new Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library amid a 10 million dollar expansion to its library. We sure have come a long way from when OM used to tell the joke about our library burning down and both coloring books being destroyed....and one not even been colored in yet. Shitbirds.

https://www.apnews.com/1c79b8f4c8974576a3f072b5f204532a/New-Ulysses-Grant-presidential-library-at-home-in-the-South

eta....didn't realize it at first....click on the picture with Keenum and Grant and you can see a collection of pictures of the entire library. Outstanding.

IMissJack
11-16-2017, 07:00 PM
Glad we got it, my only complaint is why could they not open this before the Egg Bowl for visitors to see. And by visitors, I mean me from TX. It might also throw some bad memories on the rebs too.*

BeardoMSU
11-16-2017, 07:00 PM
This. Is. Awesome. We have a ****ing Presidential Library. That is a big ****ing deal, guys and gals.

RocketDawg
11-16-2017, 07:14 PM
This. Is. Awesome. We have a ****ing Presidential Library. That is a big ****ing deal, guys and gals.

Hasn't it been there for several years, but just getting a new home?

BrunswickDawg
11-16-2017, 07:19 PM
Hasn't it been there for several years, but just getting a new home?

The collection has been there - and we were designated as the site a few years ago, but the completion of the expansion makes it an ?official? presidential library.

TUSK
11-16-2017, 07:34 PM
and once again as OM is getting negative press by being portrayed as being stuck in the past by an NBC article regarding their holding on to confederate symbolism's, MSU is obtaining positive press for housing the new Ulysses S. Grant Presidential Library amid a 10 million dollar expansion to its library. We sure have come a long way from when OM used to tell the joke about our library burning down and both coloring books being destroyed....and one not even been colored in yet. Shitbirds.

https://www.apnews.com/1c79b8f4c8974576a3f072b5f204532a/New-Ulysses-Grant-presidential-library-at-home-in-the-South

It seems paradoxical that US Grant would used in this context...

BeardoMSU
11-16-2017, 07:35 PM
The collection has been there - and we were designated as the site a few years ago, but the completion of the expansion makes it an ?official? presidential library.

Answered before I could. Gracias, Brunswick.

The Federalist Engineer
11-16-2017, 07:50 PM
General Grant had an affinity for celebratory cigars like General Mullen...

http://www.jmarkpowell.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Grant-with-cigar-1864.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/5UCDl2S6udrj8NcKGxtyp0V1Ajo=/0x0:745x419/1600x900/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/52144291/Dan_cigar.0.jpeg

BrunswickDawg
11-16-2017, 07:51 PM
Answered before I could. Gracias, Brunswick.
We History majors keep up with such things.

And as Uncle Joe one time - ?this is a big ****ing deal?. There are only a handful of other universities with Presidential Libraries on campus - A&M has Bush 41, SMU has Bush 43, Tusculum College has Andrew Johnson, Texas has LBJ. MSU could see some intersting spillover from the National Archives and other Federal programs because of it.

Liverpooldawg
11-16-2017, 07:53 PM
I'm off on Fridays and the first one I can break away after it opens up I'm headed down to check it out. This is absolutely awesome for MSU. Funny story, I have heard more than one MSU faculty memeber/administrator say that they get asked at conferences how a university in Mississippi got the GRANT library. Before they tell the real story, they all say, "Hey, Mississippi did more to make Grant's career than any other state!" It's a joke but it's actually the truth. If you study his Vicksburg Campaign, it truely was masterful. It was also a testament to persistence and Bulldog determination.

LC Dawg
11-16-2017, 10:09 PM
This is going to do wonders for us nationally. We will be getting a lot of visitors to our campus solely because of this library and when people visit they can?t help but like us.

Pollodawg
11-16-2017, 10:18 PM

And as Uncle Joe one time - ?this is a big ****ing deal?. There are only a handful of other universities with Presidential Libraries on campus - A&M has Bush 41, SMU has Bush 43, Tusculum College has Andrew Johnson, Texas has LBJ. MSU could see some intersting spillover from the National Archives and other Federal programs because of it.

This. It’s a huge deal.

TUSK
11-16-2017, 11:00 PM
This. It’s a huge deal.

I’d concur that it may be a “big deal” to get a prez library, but I think choosing Grant wasn’t well thought out if the context is to “outdo” OM re: oppression, slavery, etc.

But I’m no (formally) educated historian....

sleepy dawg
11-16-2017, 11:45 PM
I?d concur that it may be a ?big deal? to get a prez library, but I think choosing Grant wasn?t well thought out if the context is to ?outdo? OM re: oppression, slavery, etc.

But I?m no (formally) educated historian....

That is a your comment on this?..... okay.

MagicDawg
11-17-2017, 06:59 AM
We didn't choose Grant. Grant chose us.

This ultimately came about because of the scholarship of John Marszalek. Via Wiki: "After John Y. Simon's death in July 2008, Marsazalek was asked to serve as the Executive Director and Managing Editor of the Ulysses S. Grant Association and The Papers of Ulysses S. Grant project. These papers are now located at Mississippi State University." That is how this came to pass.

Dr. M is a legit national treasure and having this presidential library on campus at State will be his legacy. I worked with him on the Distinguished Scholars (now Presidential Scholars) selection committee for years. One of State's greatest ever professors.

Liverpooldawg
11-17-2017, 08:44 AM
I’d concur that it may be a “big deal” to get a prez library, but I think choosing Grant wasn’t well thought out if the context is to “outdo” OM re: oppression, slavery, etc.

That wasn’t the context at all. We got it because the professor who is now the director of it was at Mississippi State. He is a top scholar on Grant and really impressed the head of the Grant society at the time they were looking to move it away from SIU. It’s the same guy that just donated all the Lincoln stuff to MSU. MSU went along because it’s a fantastic thing for MSU.

bostondawg
11-17-2017, 08:49 AM
We didn't choose Grant. Grant chose us.

This ultimately came about because of the scholarship of John Marszalek. Via Wiki: "After John Y. Simon's death in July 2008, Marsazalek was asked to serve as the Executive Director and Managing Editor of the Ulysses S. Grant Association and The Papers of Ulysses S. Grant project. These papers are now located at Mississippi State University." That is how this came to pass.

Dr. M is a legit national treasure and having this presidential library on campus at State will be his legacy. I worked with him on the Distinguished Scholars (now Presidential Scholars) selection committee for years. One of State's greatest ever professors.

Very cool background. I'm unbelievably prideful to say we have a presidential library. Tell people that up here and the response is always "wow."

Also very cool that you were/are on the distinguished scholars selection committee. I was upset as a freshman that you didn't choose me***

Jack Lambert
11-17-2017, 08:57 AM

Maybe Ole Miss can get old Zachary Taylor's library being he was a Mississippi Resident at the time of his election. He only served one year before dying in the White House of diarrhea. However some do think he might have been poison by pro slavery rivals so Ole Miss may not want it.

BrunswickDawg
11-17-2017, 09:02 AM
Maybe Ole Miss can get old Zachary Taylor's library being he was a Mississippi Resident at the time of his election. He only served one year before dying in the White House of diarrhea. However some do think he might have been poison by pro slavery rivals so Ole Miss may not want it.

I'm actually shocked that they don't have the Jefferson Davis Presidential Library. Too bad Beauvior beat them to it.

Political Hack
11-17-2017, 09:06 AM

State didn't choose Grant. A foundation chose State.

HossDawg97
11-17-2017, 09:23 AM

At this point scientist suspect that it was the White House drinking water that killed Taylor along with William Henry Harrison and James K. Polk.
https://www.mnn.com/health/fitness-well-being/stories/mysterious-deaths-3-presidents-linked-white-house-water

Jack Lambert
11-17-2017, 09:24 AM
I'm actually shocked that they don't have the Jefferson Davis Presidential Library. Too bad Beauvior beat them to it.

Well Davis was married to Taylor's daughter.

The Federalist Engineer
11-17-2017, 09:51 AM
Grant is as much a Mississippi figure as anywhere else, he lived in many places

(1) Parents are from New England
(2) Born and raised in Ohio, was not fond of Ohio life
(3) Attended college in West Point, New York
(4) Did service at Jefferson Barracks in Missouri
(5) Met his wife in St Louis, Mo
(6) Got married in St Louis, Mo with Old Pete Longstreet as one of his groomsmen
(7) Did service in Texas
(8) Fought in Tamaulipas and Nuevo Leon Mexico with Zachary Taylor
(9) Fought with Lee, Stonewall, and Winfield Scott in Veracruz and Mexico City campaign
(10) Did service in California, did not like it
(11) Moved back to St Louis to farm, could not do it succesfully
(12) Moved to Galeana, IL to be a shop clerk, sort of liked it
(13) Volunteered for the Civil War as a colonel
(14) Fought in the Missouri Civil War theater to clear Southern Missouri
(15) Fought in Western Tennessee to take Memphis and Fort Donaldson
(16) Fought to take Corinth, MS (key train Depot)
(17) Fought to take Vicksburg (fortress on Miss River) and took the Mississippi Capital
(18) Got Promoted by Lincoln to Eastern Theater of Civil War, Army of Potomac
(19) Invaded Virginia and drove Lee to surrender at Appomattox
(20) Nominated by Congress to become the Lieutenant General of Armed Forces in D.C.
(21) Serves in D.C. and becomes national figure as Andrew Johnson administration withers
(22) Nominated to presidency and wins
(23) Lives in D.C
(24) Post presidency, travels the world with money made on western silver mine, probably a quid pro quo
(25) Moves to New York City
(26) Gets flim flammed by an investment scam in New York City, loses his savings
(27) Writes an autobiography with Samuel Clemens help, living in a beach house in Long Island (I think)
(28) Dies in New York

As a national figure, he could have his library anywhere. It really makes sense that it be Mississippi since he saved Mississippi. Or it could be in DC because he saved a nation. Grant was about the nation, not a particular place.

He did not hate the south, he just loved the Union and he wanted slavery eliminated. Many of his best friends at West Point and Mexico were Confederate leaders.

bostondawg
11-17-2017, 10:21 AM
Really cool to see you guys taking interest in the presidential library program. This is one of my favorite programs that the National Archives put together. Whenever I travel I always try to hit a prez library if possible. They're always fascinating.

FDR was the first president to dedicate a library to his work. For every president since, the president has chosen a site. It's an enormous honor for a university to get one. Just some that I've been too--LBJ's at UTAustin, GHWB's at TAMU, JFK's in Boston, Clinton's at Arky. And some are very close to universities. Obama's will be in south Chicago, where he worked and near where he went to school at the University of Chicago. Long story short, it's an enormous honor to host one.

https://snag.gy/mr1R3U.jpg

MagicDawg
11-17-2017, 02:50 PM
I've been to the Reagan twice, Nixon once, and Carter. I will visit Grand Rapids next summer and see the Ford museum. Would like to see 41 and 43.

LC Dawg
11-17-2017, 03:38 PM
Really cool to see you guys taking interest in the presidential library program. This is one of my favorite programs that the National Archives put together. Whenever I travel I always try to hit a prez library if possible. They're always fascinating.

FDR was the first president to dedicate a library to his work. For every president since, the president has chosen a site. It's an enormous honor for a university to get one. Just some that I've been too--LBJ's at UTAustin, GHWB's at TAMU, JFK's in Boston, Clinton's at Arky. And some are very close to universities. Obama's will be in south Chicago, where he worked and near where he went to school at the University of Chicago. Long story short, it's an enormous honor to host one.

https://snag.gy/mr1R3U.jpg

I do most of my traveling with work and I try to visit some historical sites if possible. I've only been to one presidential library and its one of the more obscure ones. I had some work in Iowa City and while driving across I-80 I saw a sign for the Herbert Hoover library. I left early enough on my way back to the airport to spend a few hours at the library. It was extremely interesting and I learned a lot about Hoover. It's located at his birthplace and they have part of the town preserved, including his birth home and a working blacksmith shop. I hope to see some more libraries soon. Luckily I now live only a few hours from one.

BuckyIsAB****
11-17-2017, 09:33 PM
I'm off on Fridays and the first one I can break away after it opens up I'm headed down to check it out. This is absolutely awesome for MSU. Funny story, I have heard more than one MSU faculty memeber/administrator say that they get asked at conferences how a university in Mississippi got the GRANT library. Before they tell the real story, they all say, "Hey, Mississippi did more to make Grant's career than any other state!" It's a joke but it's actually the truth. If you study his Vicksburg Campaign, it truely was masterful. It was also a testament to persistence and Bulldog determination.

Grant was drunk the whole time

Liverpooldawg
11-17-2017, 09:53 PM

Actually he wasn't. Like most myths there is some grain of truth to it. Grant did have trouble with the hooch at times, but it was almost always when he was underemployed and bored. If he was a drunk during the War, then Lincoln's comment on the subject would certainly apply.

Mutt the Hoople
11-18-2017, 11:59 AM

He was drunk only when he was bored. During war, he stayed sober. Even if he was a drunk, Lincoln said that he was going to buy his brand of whiskey for all his other Generals.