PDA

View Full Version : As if the Confederates needed more publicity...

SailingDawg
11-16-2017, 08:04 AM
Out comes this article from NBC (https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/confederacy-still-haunts-campus-ole-miss-n820881) on their ties to the confederacy, and the resistance in disassociating itself from the past. I didn't realize they only had a 13% African-American undergrad population.

Dawgology
11-16-2017, 08:16 AM
I balked when it called Ole Miss the state's flagship university but then it notes at the bottom of the article that the author is a graduate of Ole Miss. Go figure.

thf24
11-16-2017, 08:54 AM
I balked when it called Ole Miss the state's flagship university but then it notes at the bottom of the article that the author is a graduate of Ole Miss. Go figure.

They don't seem to understand how pathetic it is to actively push yourself as a "flagship" when you're consistently rated only the 3rd or 4th best institution in your state.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-16-2017, 08:56 AM
I disliked a lot about that article.

I think that the university should try to change their image and get rid of some of the symbols from the past that are clearly stemmed from racism. However I really did not like the overall tone of that article.

Liverpooldawg
11-16-2017, 08:59 AM
Out comes this article from NBC (https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/confederacy-still-haunts-campus-ole-miss-n820881) on their ties to the confederacy, and the resistance in disassociating itself from the past. I didn't realize they only had a 13% African-American undergrad population.

And it’s dropping. I wonder why?****

Liverpooldawg
11-16-2017, 09:00 AM
I disliked a lot about that article.

I think that the university should try to change their image and get rid of some of the symbols from the past that are clearly stemmed from racism. However I really did not like the overall tone of that article.

I’m shocked that one of their own wrote it, but it’s a good article. Ole Miss hasn’t changed, not deep down. They try to hide it a bit now, but it’s still Ole Miss.

msstatelp1
11-16-2017, 09:02 AM

I noticed they did it twice. As has been said, if you have to keep telling everyone that you are "the flagship" then you are not. If we ever get so pathetic that we keep spouting "flagship" over and over I will be pissed.

BeardoMSU
11-16-2017, 09:05 AM
They don't seem to understand how pathetic it is to actively push yourself as a "flagship" when you're consistently rated only the 3rd or 4th best institution in your state.

No shit. Tywin needs to set them straight....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqFk3gvwb20

Liverpooldawg
11-16-2017, 09:09 AM
http://www.exploretitanic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Titanic-Hitting-The-Icebery.jpg

Johnson85
11-16-2017, 09:13 AM
"Only 13%" is probably pretty high among the non HBCU 4 year universities. Well behind state, but it's not like African Americans are avoiding the school like the plague.

Dawgology
11-16-2017, 09:15 AM
"Only 13%" is probably pretty high among the non HBCU 4 year universities. Well behind state, but it's not like African Americans are avoiding the school like the plague.

I've often wondered why african american students decide to go to Ole Miss in light of what the university represents in old south mentaility.

Maroonthirteen
11-16-2017, 09:33 AM
I've often wondered why african american students decide to go to Ole Miss in light of what the university represents in old south mentaility.

Because AA are individual people that can think independently. Therefore some people do not get caught up in race baiting.

Crucifictorious
11-16-2017, 09:36 AM
And an article about MSU that shows how awesome we are: https://apnews.com/1c79b8f4c8974576a3f072b5f204532a

BeardoMSU
11-16-2017, 09:39 AM
And an article about MSU that shows how awesome we are: https://apnews.com/1c79b8f4c8974576a3f072b5f204532a

Absolutely.

dawggrad08
11-16-2017, 09:41 AM
Because AA are individual people that can think independently. Therefore some people do not get caught up in race baiting.

Race baiting huh?

Listen, you are correct in your first assertion. But there are a few minority scholarships that are available for selected majors because their AA population is so little. At least it was that way when i graduated high school. Truth be told...after you've lived 17-18 years of your life in a world dominated by some of the notions present there at OM...what's another 4 years?

Hasu Dackds
11-16-2017, 09:44 AM

Because most people don't care about the stupid SJW agendas. They simply want to get educated and go make a living.

PassInterference
11-16-2017, 09:47 AM
?Flagship? is racist. You can google the history of ?flagship? as a term for college education in Mississippi.

In olden days, the state of MS declared the big 3 colleges to ALL be flagships. This term was used to set them apart from the black colleges.

Those times are long gone but not forgotten in Oxford. Why does Ole Miss insist on hanging on to a term which was invented to distinguish them from HSBUs?

Political Hack
11-16-2017, 10:06 AM

When your state is 37% black, that's pretty low.

Dawgology
11-16-2017, 10:10 AM

I guess....if you want to give your money to support that type of thing more power to you. I chose not to. Not really much of a race baiting thing as it is a right-and-wrong thing.

I was simply referring to the fact that in that article they interviewed students who were offended by the symbols around that campus yet those same students knowingly chose to attend the university. Maybe they didn't take a tour first, or look at the website, or read an article about tsun and it suprised them. I don't know.

BrunswickDawg
11-16-2017, 10:13 AM

2015 African-American % at SEC schools http://www.themaneater.com/stories/projects/interactive-map-comparing-sec-racial-diversity

Auburn 6.9%
Bama 12%
Ark 5.1%
UF 6.63%
UGA 7.6%
LSU 11.7%
UK 6.6%
Miss 13.4%
Miss St 21%
MO - 7%
USC -10%
UT- 7.3%
Vandy - 8.4%

Not to defend OM - but they are #2 in the SEC behind us....

Cooterpoot
11-16-2017, 10:15 AM

They meant Confederate stick-flagship.

Commercecomet24
11-16-2017, 10:16 AM
That flagship is taking on more water with each passing day.

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-16-2017, 10:18 AM
I’m shocked that one of their own wrote it, but it’s a good article. Ole Miss hasn’t changed, not deep down. They try to hide it a bit now, but it’s still Ole Miss.

That articles infers that Ole Miss is a place where minority students can't walk around at night for fear that they might be attacked because of their race. It also puts conservatives in the same sentence as people trying to protect white heritage inferring racists.

Ole Miss has some issues but that article is completely agenda driven

Political Hack
11-16-2017, 10:24 AM
2015 African-American % at SEC schools http://www.themaneater.com/stories/projects/interactive-map-comparing-sec-racial-diversity

Auburn 6.9%
Bama 12%
Ark 5.1%
UF 6.63%
UGA 7.6%
LSU 11.7%
UK 6.6%
Miss 13.4%
Miss St 21%
MO - 7%
USC -10%
UT- 7.3%
Vandy - 8.4%

You can't just throw out other non-Mississippi schools and compare them. What's the population in MS? Is it consistent? The answer is no. Outside of athletes, black students are not finding good reasons to attend Ole Miss. Given their history and refusal to acknowledge minority students who are harassed, I can certainly understand why.

Liverpooldawg
11-16-2017, 10:34 AM
It never ceases to amaze me the number of “Dawgs” that rush to defend Ole Miss.

BeardoMSU
11-16-2017, 10:35 AM

Auburn 6.9%
Bama 12%
Ark 5.1%
UF 6.63%
UGA 7.6%
LSU 11.7%
UK 6.6%
Miss 13.4%
Miss St 21%
MO - 7%
USC -10%
UT- 7.3%
Vandy - 8.4%

Good point. Very illuminating.

BeardoMSU
11-16-2017, 10:37 AM
It never ceases to amaze me the number of “Dawgs” that rush to defend Ole Miss.

It is indeed fascinating.

fishwater99
11-16-2017, 10:40 AM
Where is the outrage over the schools name "Ole Miss Rebels"?

Why isn't the media after them to change it. It's racist...

Welcome Mississippi Land Sharks..

Liverpooldawg
11-16-2017, 10:41 AM

If you think about this, it?s truely amazing that this is not only in Mississippi, but that the state spent money on it. MSU has embraced this like we have few things in the past. I can?t wait to go see it. I will very soon.

HarryBuff
11-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Maybe they just wanted a law degree. Maybe they wanted to become a doctor. Maybe that's the only school they could get into for their masters.

If you want to go to a particular university, why would you give up on your dream and settle just because of that? We aren't living in those days anymore. It's not like racism is centralized to Oxford. If you honestly can't recognize that they do actually have some decent programs you should get your head out of the sand. I'm no OM fan either but it's really not that hard to look past for the betterment of yourself when it comes to education.

BeardoMSU
11-16-2017, 10:51 AM
Where is the outrage over the schools name "Ole Miss Rebels"?

Why isn't the media after them to change it. It's racist...

Welcome Mississippi Land Sharks..

There is no nuance as to why they named their athletic teams the "Rebels", nor why they wear grey uniforms from time to time. It pretty crazy, actually....

MedDawg
11-16-2017, 10:56 AM
That flagship is taking on more water with each passing day.

http://forums.sixpackspeak.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=3154&d=1455304711

The Federalist Engineer
11-16-2017, 11:01 AM
I hope OM gets the death penalty in sports, but I can recognize a communist article when I see one.

BrunswickDawg
11-16-2017, 11:05 AM
You can't just throw out other non-Mississippi schools and compare them. What's the population in MS? Is it consistent? The answer is no. Outside of athletes, black students are not finding good reasons to attend Ole Miss. Given their history and refusal to acknowledge minority students who are harassed, I can certainly understand why.

I was just trying to show the SEC as a whole.
None of the schools are in line with their state-wide demographics. MS has the highest AA population at 37%, Missouri has the lowest at 12%. Most SEC states are in the 20s range. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_by_African-American_population

Tbonewannabe
11-16-2017, 11:05 AM
Maybe they just wanted a law degree. Maybe they wanted to become a doctor. Maybe that's the only school they could get into for their masters.

If you want to go to a particular university, why would you give up on your dream and settle just because of that? We aren't living in those days anymore. It's not like racism is centralized to Oxford. If you honestly can't recognize that they do actually have some decent programs you should get your head out of the sand. I'm no OM fan either but it's really not that hard to look past for the betterment of yourself when it comes to education.

I bet a lot go there because they get more scholarship money so it ends up cheaper than other places. HBCU aren't exactly respected when it comes to their degrees. I know some have good programs but for the most part, the degree is worth considerably less than a degree from MSU, USM, or Ole Miss. For someone that actually takes academics and their future career more seriously, they probably look more at the other more prestigious schools and choose which is the best for them. Whether the choice is driven by cost, distance from home, or other factors, some black students choose to go there and probably hope they can improve it. The article sounded like the one student involved with the NAACP went there to instigate change. As bad as I hate UM, the state of MS needs them to change. That dumbass school impacts the state's national image. Hell, ESPN gets us confused so if we are recruiting minority students from other parts of the country, UM's negative image can impact how they think they might be treated in Mississippi. The only other alternative is to burn the place down Sherman style which I am ok with.

BeardoMSU
11-16-2017, 11:07 AM
I hope OM gets the death penalty in sports, but I can recognize a communist article when I see one.

Lolz
http://ccpix.thevams.net/StrahanSlowTurn.gif

Liverpooldawg
11-16-2017, 11:52 AM

We have as many or more people in medical school. You don’t have to go to Oxford to become a doctor.

dmdezigns
11-16-2017, 11:54 AM

Looking and I see UGA is at 8.1% black, Bama is 11.1%, Auburn is 6.6% , FL is 6.4%- I didn't look up any others, but I'd say you're probably right.

Johnson85
11-16-2017, 11:56 AM
It never ceases to amaze me the number of ?Dawgs? that rush to defend Ole Miss.

I don't think pointing out that their AA population is not crazy out of line with other SEC schools is defending Ole Miss.

It's certainly not "defending them" to note that comparing their AA population to the AA population of the state is not a reasonable method for determining whether the university is unwelcoming to AA students. The racial breakdown of roughly college age students in a state who are reasonably prepared to go to a four year university is, due largely to past practices in most (all?) SEC states, very unlikely to match the overall demographic of the State.

I'm sure Ole Miss's AA population is lower than it would be if it were not for their past and current attitudes, but they are not any more out of line than Auburn is, and to my knowledge Auburn does not have anything like the racial baggage ole miss has. Same goes for USC, although USC did have those ass hat students (or sidewalk fans) on Borat...

Liverpooldawg
11-16-2017, 12:05 PM
I don't think pointing out that their AA population is not crazy out of line with other SEC schools is defending Ole Miss.

It's certainly not "defending them" to note that comparing their AA population to the AA population of the state is not a reasonable method for determining whether the university is unwelcoming to AA students. The racial breakdown of roughly college age students in a state who are reasonably prepared to go to a four year university is, due largely to past practices in most (all?) SEC states, very unlikely to match the overall demographic of the State.

I'm sure Ole Miss's AA population is lower than it would be if it were not for their past and current attitudes, but they are not any more out of line than Auburn is, and to my knowledge Auburn does not have anything like the racial baggage ole miss has. Same goes for USC, although USC did have those ass hat students (or sidewalk fans) on Borat...

Yes it is.

Political Hack
11-16-2017, 12:15 PM

Ok, we'll just compare it to the other in-state SEC school. 21-13

fishwater99
11-16-2017, 12:43 PM
There is no nuance as to why they named their athletic teams the "Rebels", nor why they wear grey uniforms from time to time. It pretty crazy, actually....

Exactly...

thf24
11-16-2017, 12:48 PM
Ok, we'll just compare it to the other in-state SEC school. 21-13

That's the significant thing. That large of a gap makes it very clear where African-Americans in the state prefer to go.

Tbonewannabe
11-16-2017, 12:50 PM
Exactly...

They also got rid of the chancellor trying to change things like getting rid of the Ole Miss name and playing Dixie.

DLGDawg
11-16-2017, 12:55 PM
And further along with that ....AA athletes with offers from many P5 schools.

If the ONLY THING offered was a scholarship...they would not be able to field a team anywhere near SEC level.

Cooterpoot
11-16-2017, 01:02 PM
The general population of our country is only a little over 13% African American. So, any school not at 13% or so is below the national average from a comparison standpoint.

Coach34
11-16-2017, 01:29 PM

Auburn 6.9%
Bama 12%
Ark 5.1%
UF 6.63%
UGA 7.6%
LSU 11.7%
UK 6.6%
Miss 13.4%
Miss St 21%
MO - 7%
USC -10%
UT- 7.3%
Vandy - 8.4%

Bama and Georgia have 2 and 3 times the population we have also

Tbonewannabe
11-16-2017, 02:23 PM

You also have to look at how tough it is to get into the various schools. Isn't MSU and UM's requirements for admission lowered due to the Ayers lawsuit dealing with the HBCUs in MS? Other SEC schools might have higher standards which make it harder for minority students to get into schools. African American dominated school systems are typically not as high performing. Several reasons for it but it causes kids to be behind the 8 ball when trying to get into college.

BrunswickDawg
11-16-2017, 02:33 PM

Total population of the state has nothing really to do with this. The question is - does the make up of student body reflect the population of the state? The fact is, we are the only school in the SEC that has a diverse enough student body that is anywhere close to reflecting the actual population of the state. With a larger population base, Alabama and Georgia should have more African-American students then they do since they have a large population pool to draw from. As Cooter points out - A/A make up 13% of the total US population - so even if you set that as a marker (which is well below the percentage of A/A population in every SEC state but Missouri), the SEC as a whole is still does not reflect the population of the country.

Now, don't confuse this as an argument that OM is doing something special, or something that should be applauded. The article is spot on in the way race and the Lost Cause still influences life on the OM campus. It's not unique to OM - I've heard similar feelings from students at UGA and Bama and other large state universities. Where the author errs is singling OM out as poor example of racial diversity when the reality is - as whole - the Universities in MS have done a better job then any other schools in the SEC in serving the minority populations of their states when you look at the statistics.

Spiderman
11-16-2017, 02:49 PM
And it?s dropping. I wonder why?****

Surely not. It's such a beautiful,magical place that EVERYBODY is dying to go to. **

Spiderman
11-16-2017, 02:54 PM
Because most people don't care about the stupid SJW agendas. They simply want to get educated and go make a living.

Yep, the article interviewed a girl who said she went because she got a full ride, against her parents wishes. Sounds like she doesn't care for it, but it's a sholarship

Spiderman
11-16-2017, 02:57 PM

Auburn 6.9%
Bama 12%
Ark 5.1%
UF 6.63%
UGA 7.6%
LSU 11.7%
UK 6.6%
Miss 13.4%
Miss St 21%
MO - 7%
USC -10%
UT- 7.3%
Vandy - 8.4%

That goes along with what this nut said a few years back when I asked his white trash ass why he liked OM, since he had never been on campus, and couldn't name a player other than the QB and only the HC? His reply...... "cause they ain't a N****R school"

Johnson85
11-16-2017, 03:14 PM
Yes it is.

I don't get why MSU fans would want to push a standard where MSU is just "less racist" than Ole Miss. That's essentially what comparing their AA population to the state's does.

It's so easy to point out the origin of the term "Ole Miss", their mascots, the incidents they keep having on campus, etc. Why would you want to make an argument that MSU and Ole Miss both fall short when it comes to AA students, but state doesn't fall short as badly? I don't think there's any evidence that that's the case.

BuckyIsAB****
11-16-2017, 03:27 PM
I hate OM more than anyone but this thread is PC garbage

THE Bruce Dickinson
11-16-2017, 03:48 PM

Agreed.

Tbonewannabe
11-16-2017, 04:00 PM
I don't get why MSU fans would want to push a standard where MSU is just "less racist" than Ole Miss. That's essentially what comparing their AA population to the state's does.

It's so easy to point out the origin of the term "Ole Miss", their mascots, the incidents they keep having on campus, etc. Why would you want to make an argument that MSU and Ole Miss both fall short when it comes to AA students, but state doesn't fall short as badly? I don't think there's any evidence that that's the case.

I think MSU does a good job with diversity. Comparing our stats to someone like the University of Texas, in 2014 had a 4% enrollment of black students. The state of Texas is 11% black. I wonder if you took out all the black athletes what the percentage would go down to. MSU seems to do a better job than most in P5 conferences and UM actually doesn't do a bad job in comparison to other P5 schools.

Mississippi schools get a bad reputation because the entire state is deemed racist by media and the lingering Old South imagery that places like Ole Miss still perpetuate. Their dumbasses actually hurt MSU's image just from being in the same damn state.

BeardoMSU
11-16-2017, 04:06 PM
but this thread is PC garbage

I'm sorry OM losin' dur "tradishuns" hurts your feelings, Bucky.***

Political Hack
11-16-2017, 04:08 PM

Calling out racism is PC garbage?

Tbonewannabe
11-16-2017, 04:28 PM
Calling out racism is PC garbage?

Too many people now have knee jerk reactions to anything that isn't strictly liberal/conservative depending on your leanings. It isn't liberal to hope that all Mississippians have a chance at higher education and to improve their position in life. It also isn't conservative to hope that reverence for Old South imagery is kept around. I think plenty of conservatives hope that we can get rid of the things that divide us. Not many Mississippians want to look back on old times not forgotten with happiness. For the most part, that is a black spot on our state's history similar to Germany during Hitler's reign.

The Federalist Engineer
11-16-2017, 05:37 PM
You walk into an graduate engineering class, not only very few AA’s there are almost no A’s. You go to a top MBA program report-out, Indians and East Asian people are the majority, everybody else is a minority

This is true at MSU, SMU, and Princeton to only include my personal experience. Personally, I think losing America’s technology and engineering edge should be a front burner topic over divisive race baiting ... just saying... let’s talk about baseball or something

Ezsoil
11-17-2017, 08:20 AM
An when you throw in the number of foreign students, MSU is by far one of the most diverse universities in the country....

Political Hack
11-17-2017, 08:34 AM
Too many people now have knee jerk reactions to anything that isn't strictly liberal/conservative depending on your leanings. It isn't liberal to hope that all Mississippians have a chance at higher education and to improve their position in life. It also isn't conservative to hope that reverence for Old South imagery is kept around. I think plenty of conservatives hope that we can get rid of the things that divide us. Not many Mississippians want to look back on old times not forgotten with happiness. For the most part, that is a black spot on our state's history similar to Germany during Hitler's reign.

Well said T-bone. What's hilarious is my D.C. friends think I'm super conservative and my MS friends think I'm super liberal. Depending on where I am I find myself providing the counter argument.

I think this is a pretty open and shut case though. OM has had poor race relations since the civil rights era and it's something that continues to plague them. Despite this, they refuse to force progress in many areas out of fear of pissing off their big money donors. To me, in short, that means they're essentially selling racism at this point. I don't know how anybody could look at it any other way. There are a few major reasons why I dislike that institution so much, but the perpetual black eye they continually dole out to the State of Mississippi is the main reason. Hey UofM, it's 20(17ig)17.

fishwater99
11-17-2017, 10:16 AM

We lost the Civil War. It's over Ole Miss Rebels... We have museums for you confederates.

Tbonewannabe
11-17-2017, 10:34 AM
We lost the Civil War. It's over Ole Miss Rebels... We have museums for you confederates.

You don't see many monuments to the losing cause except maybe in museums, where I think it does belong. You don't see any monuments to Nazis in Germany, it is even illegal to have swatstikas. I am not completely sure how I feel about that. On one hand, everyone should be free to be a total asshole human being if it doesn't actually hurt anyone. On the flip side, having that type of hate speech (as Germany defines it) does have a negative impact on peoples environments. I imagine jewish people feel the way about those as black people feel about the KKK's burning crosses.

Commercecomet24
11-17-2017, 10:38 AM

Very well said!

BeardoMSU
11-17-2017, 11:07 AM
Well said T-bone. What's hilarious is my D.C. friends think I'm super conservative and my MS friends think I'm super liberal. Depending on where I am I find myself providing the counter argument.

I think this is a pretty open and shut case though. OM has had poor race relations since the civil rights era and it's something that continues to plague them. Despite this, they refuse to force progress in many areas out of fear of pissing off their big money donors. To me, in short, that means they're essentially selling racism at this point. I don't know how anybody could look at it any other way. There are a few major reasons why I dislike that institution so much, but the perpetual black eye they continually dole out to the State of Mississippi is the main reason. Hey UofM, it's 20(17ig)17.

Good post, Hack.

Commercecomet24
11-17-2017, 11:28 AM

I love Mississippi, I love the people of Mississippi, its my home. We have had our share of problems but it's still my home and I'm proud of it. I'm like you, Hack, I'm tired of unm constantly destroying what the rest of us have tried to build, and they've been doing it for years. They're still living in the 1860's while the rest of us are here in 2017. Its sickens me every time they do something to make us look bad.

Political Hack
11-17-2017, 01:12 PM
I love Mississippi, I love the people of Mississippi, its my home. We have had our share of problems but it's still my home and I'm proud of it. I'm like you, Hack, I'm tired of unm constantly destroying what the rest of us have tried to build, and they've been doing it for years. They're still living in the 1860's while the rest of us are here in 2017. Its sickens me every time they do something to make us look bad.

Couldn't agree more.