11-15-2017, 10:27 AM
Just coming out on tweeter

Commercecomet24
11-15-2017, 10:27 AM
Bert wont be far behind.

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2017, 10:34 AM
Bert wont be far behind.

Probably gives them 2 weeks to possibly get an AD or to get their ducks in a row before Bert is gone.

Liverpooldawg
11-15-2017, 10:35 AM
Bert wont be far behind.

Probably already gone.

TrapGame
11-15-2017, 10:35 AM
Damn, I'm gonna miss Fat Bert.

mstatefan91
11-15-2017, 10:36 AM
Why wait till the middle of the week to do this? Weird

TrapGame
11-15-2017, 10:39 AM
I wonder if this will effect Bert's enthusiasm Saturday. He's gotta know he's gone by now.

We might come out flat and still roll them by three tds.

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2017, 10:39 AM
Why wait till the middle of the week to do this? Weird

Do they have someone lined up for the AD position? Whoever takes that job has to either immediately interview football coaches or is going to deal with someone who just was hired. You would think that since they went ahead and fired Long that they might have someone that will help with the coaches search.

somebodyshotmypaw
11-15-2017, 10:43 AM
Big Bert is still there as of this morning, but everybody knows it is coming. He's got 2 more games.

Bdawg
11-15-2017, 10:43 AM
My AR brother in law said Bert’s buyout drops by a huge amount Jan 1. Any chance they wait that long? He said like 10 mil.

Commercecomet24
11-15-2017, 10:45 AM
The return of Bobby Petrino***********
Also heard Houston Nutt is in the market for a job*********

msstatelp1
11-15-2017, 10:46 AM
My AR brother in law said Bert’s buyout drops by a huge amount Jan 1. Any chance they wait that long? He said like 10 mil.

If they do they'll be way down the pecking order unless they already have someone on the hook.

TrapGame
11-15-2017, 10:48 AM

Funny you should mention it but Nutt has been rumored to be calling Arkansas for a second chance. But, now I wonder if he'll wind up their next AD.

GoToHellOleMiss
11-15-2017, 10:51 AM
My AR brother in law said Bert?s buyout drops by a huge amount Jan 1. Any chance they wait that long? He said like 10 mil.

Malzahn won't be available till after January 1st anyway.

Aubie friends say he's already spoken to UA about the job.

Bdawg
11-15-2017, 10:56 AM
If they do they'll be way down the pecking order unless they already have someone on the hook.

Surely the new AD will have a behind the scenes agreement with the new coach if they wait that long. Assuming the 10 mil is correct, too.

TrapGame
11-15-2017, 10:56 AM

Can you imagine the meltdown if Gus leads them to another NC and then goes to Arkansas?

Bdawg
11-15-2017, 10:58 AM

Malzahn not happy there?

Cooterpoot
11-15-2017, 11:02 AM
We just got to hope Jimbo stays put. Then watch OM fall off hind tit to the a-hole in the coach search sweepstakes. They may end up with Frank Wilson after all. Or Bobby Hall.

1bigdawg
11-15-2017, 11:26 AM
Norvelle is most likely. However, if Mahzahn is unhappy that would be a homerun. Plus, he is a local.

Martianlander
11-15-2017, 11:29 AM

John L. Smith****

Mjoelner34
11-15-2017, 11:34 AM
Malzahn not happy there?

Arkansas Waffle Houses > Alabama Waffle Houses.

Pollodawg
11-15-2017, 11:46 AM
Dang it. That means Big Bret’s gone. And we’ve owned him.

GoToHellOleMiss
11-15-2017, 11:56 AM
Malzahn not happy there?

The crazies got on him after the Clemson and LSU losses. Arkansas is home and there is less pressure than Auburn.

Maroonthirteen
11-15-2017, 12:00 PM
The crazies got on him after the Clemson and LSU losses. Arkansas is home and there is less pressure than Auburn.

This has to be some power play by the cigar boys to get Malzahn in there. I can't see Malzahn leaving Auburn if they win out but... I definitely can see AU pushing him out if AU loses the Iron Bowl.

1bigdawg
11-15-2017, 12:03 PM
I could see Scott Frost to Aub if that were to happen.

msbulldog
11-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Malzahn, Arkansas AD & HC? Happened before.

TrapGame
11-15-2017, 12:10 PM
Heard Bartoo on Bo saying Arkansas job is way worse than State's. Said Mullen has really elevated State's profile. Fat Bert and Arkansas? No so much. We actually recruit better and have way better facilities.

LC Dawg
11-15-2017, 12:12 PM
Our football program is more stable than anyone in the SEC not named Bama and our entire athletic department is probably in the top 3 or 4. If Mullen stays through this current round of chaos we are going to reach heights we have never seen at Mississippi State. Football will be competing for the SEC championship and in the near future we may have a national championship in baseball or women's basketball. We also have a tennis player ranked #2 in the nation. Life is good in Starkville.

MeridianDog
11-15-2017, 12:15 PM
If their AD gone it means Bert is safe until a new AD comes in. As soon as he learns where the departmental coffee pot and restroom are located, he will take on the task of firing Bert and negotiating his contract pay off.

This means they have a few busy weeks ahead of them, so that they can take care of everything before recruiting season passes them by. My opinion is that Bert most likely isn't concentrating too hard on recruiting right now. Surely he knows he is gone.

TrapGame
11-15-2017, 12:24 PM
If their AD gone it means Bert is safe until a new AD comes in. As soon as he learns where the departmental coffee pot and restroom are located, he will take on the task of firing Bert and negotiating his contract pay off.

This means they have a few busy weeks ahead of them, so that they can take care of everything before recruiting season passes them by. My opinion is that Bert most likely isn't concentrating too hard on recruiting right now. Surely he knows he is gone.

I wonder if Fat Bert is already looking for another job.

MeridianDog
11-15-2017, 12:29 PM
I wonder if Fat Bert is already looking for another job.

I am unsure who would consider hiring him. If is able to find anyone who will give him a job, he should bail today - just in case something shiny flies by and they change their minds.

TrapGame
11-15-2017, 12:32 PM
I am unsure who would consider hiring him. If is able to find anyone who will give him a job, he should bail today - just in case something shiny flies by and they change their minds.

Probably not as a head man but more than likely he's trying to get a OL coach gig somewhere.

IMissJack
11-15-2017, 12:42 PM

Why did Bert leave WI in the first place? I guess money is the answer, but he is a Big X guy.

1bigdawg
11-15-2017, 12:47 PM

I think Nebraska might give it a go if they don't land Scott Frost. He is a proven winner in the BIG,

IMissJack
11-15-2017, 12:49 PM
Unless AR already has something in the works for who they are going to hire, I would not think this is the year to self impose a coaching search.

MeridianDog
11-15-2017, 12:50 PM
Money and a chance.

Money was good. Chance failed.

IMissJack
11-15-2017, 12:55 PM
Heard Bartoo on Bo saying Arkansas job is way worse than State's. Said Mullen has really elevated State's profile. Fat Bert and Arkansas? No so much. We actually recruit better and have way better facilities.

I like it up in Fayetteville, and there are facilities, and money. To me the biggest downside would be recruiting. Not nearly as much HS talent close to Fayetteville, thus the TX connection.

Commercecomet24
11-15-2017, 01:05 PM
Our football program is more stable than anyone in the SEC not named Bama and our entire athletic department is probably in the top 3 or 4. If Mullen stays through this current round of chaos we are going to reach heights we have never seen at Mississippi State. Football will be competing for the SEC championship and in the near future we may have a national championship in baseball or women's basketball. We also have a tennis player ranked #2 in the nation. Life is good in Starkville.

There's a lot to be said for consistency and staying the course even in some "rebuilding years". To many folks are impatient and want instant gratification instead of letting the process work. It's a fine line on judging when it's time to move on, but our administration has done a tremendous job of hiring great coaches and staffs and getting out of their way and letting them do their job. Ain't that way everywhere.

msbulldog
11-15-2017, 01:10 PM
Why did Bert leave WI in the first place? I guess money is the answer, but he is a Big X guy.

Wanted to get out from under Barry Alvarez's thumb.

MeridianDog
11-15-2017, 01:17 PM
I like it up in Fayetteville, and there are facilities, and money. To me the biggest downside would be recruiting. Not nearly as much HS talent close to Fayetteville, thus the TX connection.

We lived in Arkansas at one time (Mountain Home).

HS Football was just different there. Not nearly the emphasis on football. Games were always a long drive away, over difficult small highways, at night. Crowds were always small. I always thought the drive from the players was always a step lower. Emphasis on school was a step lower. Everything was a step lower.

U of Arky was the only school in the state. You could ask someone where they went to school (assuming that they did) and they would look at the ground and say, "UUUuuuhhhh, I went to Jonesboro (or wherever), but I am a Razorback."

I never understood those people. Mountain Home was a great vacation place (Fishing, camping, canoeing, outdoors stuff) and we did fine there because I worked for the biggest company in Northern Arkansas (Baxter Healthcare), but it was always strange.

Would love to have a vacation house on the Buffalo River or Northfork Reservoir, but living there was really slow and at times difficult.

LC Dawg
11-15-2017, 02:06 PM

For the southern cooking.

ScottH
11-15-2017, 02:11 PM
I think Nebraska might give it a go if they don't land Scott Frost. He is a proven winner in the BIG,

Good thought.

He would be a good fit there.

As a bonus, there are plenty of places 45 minutes away in Omaha the stripper could spend the 4MM. Not so much in Fayetteville.

GreenheadDawg
11-15-2017, 02:23 PM
We lived in Arkansas at one time (Mountain Home).

HS Football was just different there. Not nearly the emphasis on football. Games were always a long drive away, over difficult small highways, at night. Crowds were always small. I always thought the drive from the players was always a step lower. Emphasis on school was a step lower. Everything was a step lower.

U of Arky was the only school in the state. You could ask someone where they went to school (assuming that they did) and they would look at the ground and say, "UUUuuuhhhh, I went to Jonesboro (or wherever), but I am a Razorback."

I never understood those people. Mountain Home was a great vacation place (Fishing, camping, canoeing, outdoors stuff) and we did fine there because I worked for the biggest company in Northern Arkansas (Baxter Healthcare), but it was always strange.

Would love to have a vacation house on the Buffalo River or Northfork Reservoir, but living there was really slow and at times difficult.

We fish the white river near bull shoals every year. I would agree, that would be a tough place to live but great vacation spot

WPS
11-15-2017, 02:32 PM

Arkansas recruits better but it's not by much.

Team Avg. Rating 4 Or 5-Star Players
1. Alabama 4.1 64
2. Georgia 3.8 46
3. Texas A&M 3.8 40
4. LSU 3.7 46
5. Auburn 3.6 44
6. Tennessee 3.5 37
7. Florida 3.5 33
8. Ole Miss 3.3 27
9. South Carolina 3.3 26
10. Arkansas 3.3 19
11. Mississippi State 3.2 17
12. Kentucky 3.2 11
13. Missouri 3.1 12
14. Vanderbilt 3.1 8

Can't speak for facilities but Jerry Jones has donated a lot to our student-athlete success center and the new football endzone renovation is going to be very nice.

Maroonthirteen
11-15-2017, 03:37 PM
Meridian, that must be something local to Mountain Home. I lived over there a number of years and HS football was very important in my town. So much so, that the locals refused to entertain the idea of building a county high school in fear of dividing the talent pool.

In addition, The HS football program had a turf field and indoor practice facility with a plush weight room. However the student population was so large, they had trailer classrooms and the cafeteria didn't have enough tables and chairs for each lunch period. Kids were sitting on the floor or standing up. It was ridiculous that they built that indoor facility but had a 40 year old cafeteria.

Arkansas doesn't produce many 5 stars because of a small population and demographics of that population.

Maroonandwhite
11-15-2017, 04:59 PM
I’m hearing a lot of Arkansas folks wanting Tommy T for AD.

TrapGame
11-15-2017, 05:02 PM
I’m hearing a lot of folks over here wanting Tommy T for AD.

I didn't think Pat Dye and he got along.

Tbonewannabe
11-15-2017, 05:10 PM
I’m hearing a lot of folks over here wanting Tommy T for AD.

Apparently Tommy is campaigning for the AD job. I guess there is some pleasant feelings for Tommy when he was going for the thumb (five wins in a row over Bama for anyone that doesn't remember).

Maroonandwhite
11-15-2017, 05:35 PM
I didn't think Pat Dye and he got along.

I was referring to AR. But the local sports talk guys are pushing Quinn Grovey.

I seen it dawg
11-15-2017, 05:54 PM
Bert is positively out. Gus bus warming up to move.

The Federalist Engineer
11-16-2017, 12:30 AM
Just coming out on tweeter

The incredible Mr. Saban has killed-off every AD and Coach since joining the SEC West?

Auburn - Tuberville
MSU - Croom
Ole Miss - Le Ogre
Arkansas - Nutt
LSU - Les Miles

On Some schools Saban has done a double-tap

Auburn - Chuzik and soon to be Malzahn
Ole Miss - Nutt and Freeze
Arkansas - Petrino and soon Beilema
LSU - soon to be Le Ogre

Most incredibly, our Dan Mullen is the lone long-term survivor and triving

Todd4State
11-16-2017, 12:51 AM
The incredible Mr. Saban has killed-off every AD and Coach since joining the SEC West?

Auburn - Tuberville
MSU - Croom
Ole Miss - Le Ogre
Arkansas - Nutt
LSU - Les Miles

On Some schools Saban has done a double-tap

Auburn - Chuzik and soon to be Malzahn
Ole Miss - Nutt and Freeze
Arkansas - Petrino and soon Beilema
LSU - soon to be Le Ogre

Most incredibly, our Dan Mullen is the lone long-term survivor and triving

I don't know if I can give Saban credit for Croom- but I think we can give Byrne credit for that and since he's the AD at Alabama now maybe a transient firing?

I think we might see an uptick in SEC coaching starting this offseason. There are rumors that Saban is only going to coach for 4-5 more years and also the SEC probably didn't like the talking heads talking about how much better the Big 10 coaches are.

We could see:

MSU- Dan
Ole Miss- Maybe Chizek if they are lucky.
Alabama- Saban
Auburn- Not sure who they go after if Mahlzahn leaves.
LSU- Coach O
Arkansas- Mahlzahn
A&M- Chad Morris or Jimbo (I can't see Jimbo Fisher going there personally but it's a rumored possibility, soooo...)

Tennessee- Gruden
Florida- Kelly
Georgia- Smart
South Carolina- Muschamp
Kentucky- Stoops
Mizzou- Not sure but my guess is a coordinator or a non-power 5 guy if they let Odom go.
Vanderbilt- Mason

That's a much better group of coaches than what the league started with at the beginning of the year. In a couple of years I think Florida and then Tennessee will be closer to catching up with Georgia and that should make the East stronger plus Muschamp and Stoops have their team competitive over there. Vandy is going to be Vandy.

At the same time, I don't think the West will decline. You have emerging MSU, Alabama will still be Alabama with Saban, O will keep LSU goood enough for 8 wins at least, and I think Mahlzahn would improve Arkansas. I'm not sure what Auburn would do but I bet it would be someone better than Chizek. Morris could improve A&M some as well- especially if he can find a quality DC. Ole Miss is screwed.

The Federalist Engineer
11-16-2017, 01:33 AM
I don’t think the SEC is in decline, I think the big 10 is back to normal ... those are very fine and football successful and rich schools up north.

When the SEC won 8 titles in a row, that was a historic anomaly. The entire Saban era is historically great. Things revert to the mean, competitors innovate, some have bad luck, others good luck

Alabama was unlucky to miss recruit Tebow, but it got them Saban

Florida was lucky to get Tebow but they sat and lost Newton

If Tebow saves Shula for another year...Saban would have replaced Lloyd Carr at Michigan in 2008..,changing the entire landscape of college football

TUSK
11-16-2017, 01:59 AM
I don?t think the SEC is in decline, I think the big 10 is back to normal ... those are very fine and football successful and rich schools up north.

When the SEC won 8 titles in a row, that was a historic anomaly. The entire Saban era is historically great. Things revert to the mean, competitors innovate, some have bad luck, others good luck

Alabama was unlucky to miss recruit Tebow, but it got them Saban

Florida was lucky to get Tebow but they sat and lost Newton

If Tebow saves Shula for another year...Saban would have replaced Lloyd Carr at Michigan in 2008..,changing the entire landscape of college football

You've a good memory, Fed... I'm gonna keep my eye on you, buddy....

edit to say "your insights are strong"... Please post more often.

Bothrops
11-16-2017, 03:46 AM
MSU recruits better than Arkansas on the defensive side. Has as long as I can remember.